RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terpsforever

PostPosted: 05/27/15 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
You two are skipping the inverse.

When kids are happy in their surroundings, have made good friends, and are having fun in college like most college kids do, they typically don't transfer, even for sports reasons.

They usually transfer because they're not happy.

Lexi seemed to have a great social life at MD. She did not friends that's for sure. I just don't get it--so puzzling. Unless she didn't get along with her teammates but I never saw that either. If she ends up on any team close to home not named South Carolina, she must not care about winning. Why would she go to Georgia, Vandy or GTech. And TN--they already have pg's. Makes no darn sense.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/27/15 7:55 pm    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

I also think (my guess, not inside info) that there could be a little "Jewell Lloyd" effect too. 2 Final Fours, ran the table in the B1G, won the B1G championship . . . what more can she look forward to at Maryland this year?

What? I certainly hope this is NOT the prevailing belief of any athlete. Good lord. I'm sure the UConn fans are pretty happy none of their players feel that way and decide to transfer...I mean, after all, what more can they possibly achieve after repeatedly winning the National Championship?

That would be a sad state of affairs if UConn fans got deprived of championships because players transferred to the school they really wanted to attend. Thank goodness that they all want to get four championships - even bench players like Kiah Stokes. But I don't think four conference titles, or four trips to the Final Four, has the same appeal as four national championships. Brown also has a chance to go to a few other colleges better to her liking and have similar odds of success, something UConn players do not have the luxury of.

Quote:
One other thing...and I don't mean to diminish this, but the whole "she's really close to her family" thing drives me crazy. The overwhelming majority of Division I WBB players are close to their family but yet there are many that go away from home. It doesn't mean they aren't any "closer" to their family.

They probably should have said "wants to see her family and they want to watch her play throughout the season". If that's the reason. The reason could also be, or also include the fact that the coach and/or some teammates are not to her liking.

Quote:

When she signed with Maryland, more than half of their games were going to be played in College Park which is still the case today. The only road game that was really close in the ACC was GA Tech and I don't think there was a guarantee they would play there every year with how big the conference gotten. Florida State is about 4 1/2 hours from Atlanta, the 3 schools in North Carolina are all roughly 6 hours away...and these are the "close" games. How many ACC road games were they really going to drive to anyway? I don't buy the switch in this case.

Her father was an NBA player for 12 years and is currently an NBA assistant coach, so I think the times should be for flying, not driving.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 05/27/15 9:32 pm    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

That would be a sad state of affairs if UConn fans got deprived of championships because players transferred to the school they really wanted to attend. Thank goodness that they all want to get four championships - even bench players like Kiah Stokes. But I don't think four conference titles, or four trips to the Final Four, has the same appeal as four national championships. Brown also has a chance to go to a few other colleges better to her liking and have similar odds of success, something UConn players do not have the luxury of.

They probably should have said "wants to see her family and they want to watch her play throughout the season". If that's the reason. The reason could also be, or also include the fact that the coach and/or some teammates are not to her liking.

Her father was an NBA player for 12 years and is currently an NBA assistant coach, so I think the times should be for flying, not driving.

Thanks for making my point. I know her dad is Dee Brown and his history and how much money they most likely have. Seeing her play wouldn't be that big of a problem as I'm sure they have the means to see her play anywhere/everywhere...thus poking holes in the comments.

Face it, she just got sick of the coach.

Not really sure what your point was about UConn. The mentality of "I can't do anymore here" is ridiculous and I certainly hope that is NOT the mentality of kids nowadays. There is always something more you can do...especially if you are invested in your school, which clearly she was not. That's a shame really.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/27/15 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw this comment on an ESPN article and it does make sense to me.

She was upset, that two of her teammates, made national team. She looks at herself as the face of Terps bball. And She thought she was a shoe in.

But really no one's guess is better than another. Heck, maybe she got in trouble for off the court reasons and just decided to leave instead of face punishment. In football and men's basketball its more common to hear about this type of stuff but why would women be any different? It's college after all, kids drink and do other stuff that could get them in trouble depending on age and actions.

If it was the travel issue or not liking the coach why would she wait this long to leave? 99% of transfers already got their release weeks ago when the season was over. I think USA Basketball might have some influence, and Kaela Davis got cut too so there could be some correlation between those two since they are from the same region.

About her dad, just because he played in the NBA doesn't mean he has a lot of money. Have you seen ESPN 30 for 30 "Broke"? He's probably unemployed right now too since the Kings head coach got fired.

Last edited by Durantula on 05/27/15 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
GEF34

PostPosted: 05/27/15 9:54 pm    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
tfan wrote:

Thanks for making my point. I know her dad is Dee Brown and his history and how much money they most likely have. Seeing her play wouldn't be that big of a problem as I'm sure they have the means to see her play anywhere/everywhere...thus poking holes in the comments.

Face it, she just got sick of the coach.

Not really sure what your point was about UConn. The mentality of "I can't do anymore here" is ridiculous and I certainly hope that is NOT the mentality of kids nowadays. There is always something more you can do...especially if you are invested in your school, which clearly she was not. That's a shame really.

Just because a person can afford to fly, it doesn't mean they want to fly. Many people are afraid of flying for one reason or another, maybe a person in her family is afraid of flying and all the money in the world isn't going to change that.

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 05/27/15 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brenda is a very good HC, but man does she lay it on thick with the drama sometimes. I can see her players getting burnt out on it over time. But a Frosh?

PostPosted: 05/27/15 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TerpsForever:

All that has happened is that Lexie Brown has decided she no longer wants to attend the University of Maryland as a student/athlete and so has decided to transfer to another university. It happens quite frenquently and for a myriad of reasons. Often fans (short for fanatic) forget that sports in general and basketball in this case is just a game. It is a game that these young women play primarily to get an education.

Ms. Brown has stated that she wants to attend university somewhere closer to her home which happens to be in Georgia. There is nothing wrong with that. For one she could be homesick. College fans tend to forget we are talking about 18-21 year old young adults here. That is very young. While it is unfortunate that your beloved Maryland Terrapins will most likely not win as many basketball games without Lexie Brown on the team...what is more important is that it is Lexie Brown's life and she needs to do what is best for her future, both academically and athletically.

It is sad that often sports fans end up living vicariously through the athletic achievements of the athletes that they follow instead of focusing more on their own lives. The tone of your post tells me that you most likely fall into this category of fan. My advice would be not to live and die with every win or with every player that transfers...if you do you are just setting yourself up for disappointment after disappointment. You'll be much happier if you don't rely on others accomplishments to make you happy or fulfilled. Happiness comes from within.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/27/15 9:59 pm    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

One other thing...and I don't mean to diminish this, but the whole "she's really close to her family" thing drives me crazy. The overwhelming majority of Division I WBB players are close to their family but yet there are many that go away from home. It doesn't mean they aren't any "closer" to their family.

I think the overwhelming majority of college students - athletes and non-athletes - love going to college and love the college they're attending. It's one of the best times of their lives. They have friends, they like the environment, they have fun, it's like a new family. A new community. It's not something most college students abandon lightly. I think most people who transfer - athletes and non-athletes alike - transfer because they simply aren't happy in their current school and surroundings for whatever reason.

Yeah, there's a small subset plotting grand plans for their athletic future. But I think most who are truly happy in their school, who have made a lot of friends, who are having fun, usually stick it out regardless of what happens with their sports.

I take "I want to be closer to my family" to generally mean "I'm miserable here and am going home to find comfort I'm not finding here."

I certainly don't think many, if any, uproot themselves from their friends and surroundings thinking "this team has gone as far as it can, I'm going to a new school to try again."

I would tend to agree. Players are first and foremost young people who are finding their way in life ... and I'm pretty sure most of us did a lot of changing our first two years away from home, whether in college or not.

If you think you'd be happier somewhere else, and you have that option, why would you not do it?

Exactly. Certain posters always disagree with this, but I argue that, no matter what the law says, these kids are *still* kids and should be allowed to be that, complete with all the flaws and indecisions kids are prone to. Kids occasionally make decisions they regret. They are allowed to change their minds. Case closed.

Not just young people, really people of every age make decisions they wish they could take back or change their minds about.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/28/15 7:03 am    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

The mentality of "I want to go to the school I want to and play for the team I want to" is what I think is important. You are concerned about the UConn fans being deprived of players leaving, or the mentality of "we need you here all four years so we have a chance to root for 4 national champions". Or another school's fans having the mentality of "we need you here all four years so we have a chance to root for a conference winner".

There is always something more you can do - at another school. Particularly if you aren't invested in your current school. Staying at a college four years is not an immaculate act. And it certainly isn't noble to put the wishes of the school's rah rah fans and boosters ahead of your own.

uconnfan1

PostPosted: 05/28/15 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexie's father works for the Scaramento Kings as an Ass't Coach and in charge of player development. Highly unlikely the family is broke.

Durantula wrote:
I saw this comment on an ESPN article and it does make sense to me.

She was upset, that two of her teammates, made national team. She looks at herself as the face of Terps bball. And She thought she was a shoe in.

But really no one's guess is better than another. Heck, maybe she got in trouble for off the court reasons and just decided to leave instead of face punishment. In football and men's basketball its more common to hear about this type of stuff but why would women be any different? It's college after all, kids drink and do other stuff that could get them in trouble depending on age and actions.

If it was the travel issue or not liking the coach why would she wait this long to leave? 99% of transfers already got their release weeks ago when the season was over. I think USA Basketball might have some influence, and Kaela Davis got cut too so there could be some correlation between those two since they are from the same region.

About her dad, just because he played in the NBA doesn't mean he has a lot of money. Have you seen ESPN 30 for 30 "Broke"? He's probably unemployed right now too since the Kings head coach got fired.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 05/28/15 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyLionsFan wrote:
All that has happened is that Lexie Brown has decided she no longer wants to attend the University of Maryland as a student/athlete and so has decided to transfer to another university. It happens quite frequently and for a myriad of reasons. Often fans (short for fanatic) forget that sports in general and basketball in this case is just a game. It is a game that these young women play primarily to get an education.

Ms. Brown has stated that she wants to attend university somewhere closer to her home which happens to be in Georgia. There is nothing wrong with that. For one she could be homesick. College fans tend to forget we are talking about 18-21 year old young adults here. That is very young. While it is unfortunate that your beloved Maryland Terrapins will most likely not win as many basketball games without Lexie Brown on the team...what is more important is that it is Lexie Brown's life and she needs to do what is best for her future, both academically and athletically.

Amen! Thank you, LadyLionsFan, for a very rational summary.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 05/28/15 9:02 am    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

The mentality of "I want to go to the school I want to and play for the team I want to" is what I think is important. You are concerned about the UConn fans being deprived of players leaving, or the mentality of "we need you here all four years so we have a chance to root for 4 national champions". Or another school's fans having the mentality of "we need you here all four years so we have a chance to root for a conference winner".

There is always something more you can do - at another school. Particularly if you aren't invested in your current school. Staying at a college four years is not an immaculate act. And it certainly isn't noble to put the wishes of the school's rah rah fans and boosters ahead of your own.
<- that statement...whoever said that it was? However, thinking of your teammates may be something to consider seeing as they all committed to each other. Seeing as she didn't seem to be invested, maybe she's not a very good teammate? Just random thoughts/questions.

Wow. I just have to shake my head and laugh. I'm most certainly not concerned about UConn fans...LOL! That is awesome. But you certainly seem to have adopted the mentality that most of the country has now which is..."it is all about me" or better yet, "what can you do for me".

My whole point, which you have taken off on some sort of weird tangent, is that the mentality of "I have accomplished all I can here so I'm going to go somewhere else" is crazy. Did she get her degree? No. Did she win a game in the Final Four? No. Did she win a national championship? No.

If she wants to leave because she's not happy or homesick, no big deal. Go right ahead...but don't give me this "nothing more to do here" crap.

Anyway, carry on.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 05/28/15 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

has any Maryland/ Brenda Frese player ever mad a USAB team? outside of Langhorn? maybe with her Dad working in the NBA and her mom home alone maybe with younger siblings Lexie has to move back home and really be there for her family.
dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/28/15 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting "twist" for lack of a better word.

Alyssa Thomas told me last night she's not surprised at all, that Lexie never really "fit in" there.

She also laughed at the idea of Brown and Davis going to the same school saying "not enough basketballs"

LitePal

PostPosted: 05/28/15 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, nice to see that Thomas is willing to be quoted about something that makes her sound like a total witch.

This should be a lesson to all players who transfer. Just leave, say nothing publicly because people will speculate about everything and take whatever you say and twist it to their own agenda.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/28/15 9:30 pm    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
tfan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

<- that statement...whoever said that it was? However, thinking of your teammates may be something to consider seeing as they all committed to each other. Seeing as she didn't seem to be invested, maybe she's not a very good teammate? Just random thoughts/questions.

Wow. I just have to shake my head and laugh. I'm most certainly not concerned about UConn fans...LOL! That is awesome. But you certainly seem to have adopted the mentality that most of the country has now which is..."it is all about me" or better yet, "what can you do for me".

You said
" What? I certainly hope this is NOT the prevailing belief of any athlete. Good lord. I'm sure the UConn fans are pretty happy none of their players feel that way and decide to transfer...I mean, after all, what more can they possibly achieve after repeatedly winning the National Championship?"

If you aren't concerned about UConn fans, why mention them? Why mention fans in a discussion of a player transferring?

Quote:

My whole point, which you have taken off on some sort of weird tangent, is that the mentality of "I have accomplished all I can here so I'm going to go somewhere else" is crazy. Did she get her degree? No. Did she win a game in the Final Four? No. Did she win a national championship? No.

If she wants to leave because she's not happy or homesick, no big deal. Go right ahead...but don't give me this "nothing more to do here" crap.

The idea isn't that they can't theoretically go further - win a game in the Final Four in the case of Brown, or win the championship in the case of Lloyd - but that they won't. They have most likely hit the ceiling with their current team and have a better chance of doing worse, than doing better. It's like someone realizing that they will never make their goal of being a supervisor/manager at their current job. It becomes a time of reassessment and comparison.

Last edited by tfan on 05/28/15 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 05/28/15 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was in regards to the mentality of "what more can I do" and pointing out that UConn players can't accomplish more than what they have done right? Geez, seriously? It really wasn't that difficult to follow.

I'm pretty much done with this thread. It's clear there are issues there instead of "missing family".

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/29/15 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Well, nice to see that Thomas is willing to be quoted about something that makes her sound like a total witch.

This should be a lesson to all players who transfer. Just leave, say nothing publicly because people will speculate about everything and take whatever you say and twist it to their own agenda.

Wow, what a twisting of a simple enough quote. You go.

Each school and program has their own "culture" for lack of a better word. If Lexie Brown didn't like or go with that for any reason, okay, it's her decision and she decided to leave. Where did Thomas say Brown did anything wrong or she was a jerk or anything? She just said she's not surprised she's leaving because she didn't fit with things that well.

Looking like time for another self-imposed departure from RebKell. Bye y'all!

LitePal

PostPosted: 05/29/15 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you're that thin skinned DT, you're really on the wrong board.

Point being that the Thomas quote sounded superior and condescending to me, especially the "not enough basketballs" part, but that often happens in print as opposed to hearing the quote. Put that with "she didn't fit" and I had to wonder if she's self aware enough to know that you were going to post what she had to say.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 05/29/15 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ArtBest23"][quote="bballjunkie"]

Jewell's situation although different as the family could move on and earn from her playing basketball could show that they felt she was better served getting in on her marketability period rather than waiting. Whereas those with money may be looking at it for another avenue and not be interested in a degree as a result of putting in all that hard work.
[/quote]

Your premise is faulty since Loyd has nearly completed her degree requirements and has made it clear she values and will be finishing her degree ASAP.[/quote]

Didn't know I had a "premise"!

Just thinking out loud and the degree comment was in reference to a thought I had about kids from families with money not Jewell and even though a degree could be important to them also doesn't me a they feel the need to complete it now.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/29/15 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:

Point being that the Thomas quote sounded superior and condescending to me, especially the "not enough basketballs" part, but that often happens in print as opposed to hearing the quote. Put that with "she didn't fit" and I had to wonder if she's self aware enough to know that you were going to post what she had to say.

Yeah, if he wasn't prepared to give an explanation on why Thomas felt Brown didn't fit in, it was probably better left unsaid. Just stirring ish. Brown was a big part of the great season Maryland had this year, ending in a Final Four appearance.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/29/15 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geez, why is everybody so pissy??

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/29/15 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Yeah, if he wasn't prepared to give an explanation on why Thomas felt Brown didn't fit in, it was probably better left unsaid. Just stirring ish. Brown was a big part of the great season Maryland had this year, ending in a Final Four appearance.

Well Shades, if anyone knows about just posting stuff to stir things up it would be you. And if you must know, no, she didn't elaborate.

Don't give yourself that much credit Lite, there's a lot more than just you that pisses me off about this board right now.

I just tried to shed a little light on the topic. So sorry that someone with actual conversation with an actual person posted something.

Buh-bye Rolling Eyes

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 05/29/15 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Well Shades, if anyone knows about just posting stuff to stir things up it would be you. And if you must know, no, she didn't elaborate.

Don't give yourself that much credit Lite, there's a lot more than just you that pisses me off about this board right now.

I just tried to shed a little light on the topic. So sorry that someone with actual conversation with an actual person posted something.

Buh-bye Rolling Eyes

For me it made Thomas seem messy, but I guess she was just being honest, the whole part about not enough ball was a little unprofessional.
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 05/29/15 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this addition by subtraction for Maryland? More touches/shots for SWK and Jones isn't a bad thing I don't think. Brown struck me as a "me first" type of point guard, ala Renee Montgomery in her early UConn years. A bit of a chucker if you will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: