RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nick Saban an asset to Alabama women's basketball recruiting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 05/25/15 12:50 pm    ::: Nick Saban an asset to Alabama women's basketball recruiting Reply Reply with quote

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/nick_saban_an_asset_to_alabama.html

Alabama's recruit weapon in recruiting, a meeting with Nick Saban! Pretty cool actually, the guy obviously doesn't need to visit with recruits of sports he is not involved in but sounds like he really wants to help Alabama in any way possible.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 05/25/15 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this is pretty common if the "big name" coach has a good rapport with the coach of another sport.

I heard two stories of things like this. One softball girl from my home area eventually signed with Tennessee and had a good career. The rumor from her recruiting visit was that Pat Summitt met with her and told her all she would need to bring with her when she showed up for school was her underwear.... Pat then opened up a closet in her office to display the vast array of walking-around gear Tennessee athletes are issued.

The other was, as will become obvious, from years ago. Back when he was a high schooler, former tennis pro Matt Anger, now the coach at Washington, was on a recruiting visit to Alabama and was taken in to see athletic director Bear Bryant, who asked Matt how his visit was going. He said it was great but he was disappointed he wouldn't be able to hit on the Crimson Tide's courts since it had rained that day.

Bryant picked up the phone, called a booster who ran a helicopter service and had the man send over a bird to dry off the courts! Didn't make the difference in the end as Anger played in college at USC.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/25/15 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think this would be a big deal if you're recruiting someone from Alabama where he has god-like status. I wouldn't think a 17 year old girl from LA or DC or Indianapolis or Miami would care much.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 05/25/15 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You gotta figure, though, Alabama doesn't spend much time recruiting in LA or New York.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/26/15 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, they currently have players from Maryland, Texas and Canada, and if they intend to become relevant in the SEC they'll have to cast an even wider recruiting net.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 05/26/15 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I would think this would be a big deal if you're recruiting someone from Alabama where he has god-like status. I wouldn't think a 17 year old girl from LA or DC or Indianapolis or Miami would care much.

I completely disagree with this. No matter where I was, if the men's basketball or football coach had a great personality (likeable & charming) and could really sell the school/athletic department/WBB program among other things, we would always try to schedule some sort of meeting with potential recruits. A guy like Nick Saban whose office is most likely filled with trophies, plaques, and all sorts of things that scream "champion" and who clearly knows how to sell Alabama to recruits would be a tremendous asset.

I think girls from all over the country would love to hear from a National Championship coach and if they can really sell the WBB team/coach as well as the school, it could be a very influential thing.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 05/26/15 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I completely disagree with this. No matter where I was, if the men's basketball or football coach had a great personality (likeable & charming) and could really sell the school/athletic department/WBB program among other things, we would always try to schedule some sort of meeting with potential recruits. A guy like Nick Saban whose office is most likely filled with trophies, plaques, and all sorts of things that scream "champion" and who clearly knows how to sell Alabama to recruits would be a tremendous asset.

I think girls from all over the country would love to hear from a National Championship coach and if they can really sell the WBB team/coach as well as the school, it could be a very influential thing.

I read a story about the ND Women's Soccer team who won the NC back in 1995. ND had been able to recruit some top players and one of them, while she was being recruited, was able to meet ND Football coach Lou Holtz. The ND Soccer coach afterwards asked her, after the meeting, what she thought. She replied that it was great talking with him and he was very impressive. She then said, "Who was that, anyway...?"

ND often uses football weekends for recruiting for the other sports, and the football coaches are usually really good in helping the other teams' coaches.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/27/15 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I don't think the reason he is included on the recruiting visit is to impress the players with his status as a great football coach, I think he is included on the visit because he can sell Alabama, he can show his passion for wanting great things for Alabama and sell the university to prospective students, some players may not care who he is going into the visit, but the way he talks and the passion he shows can still sell the university to the prospective players and families and get those people to buy into it and want to go to Alabama.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/27/15 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I don't think the reason he is included on the recruiting visit is to impress the players with his status as a great football coach, I think he is included on the visit because he can sell Alabama, he can show his passion for wanting great things for Alabama and sell the university to prospective students, some players may not care who he is going into the visit, but the way he talks and the passion he shows can still sell the university to the prospective players and families and get those people to buy into it and want to go to Alabama.

Exactly, and the person above says Notre Dame football coaches help recruit for other teams. If anything Saban is a more recognizable figure nationally than the Notre Dame coach. If the girl doesn't know him surely her parents may know of him and his background. Regardless he is one of the most well known college coaches in the nation and I think its pretty neat that he does this stuff when he could easily not bother with it.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/01/15 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Goestenkors was at Duke, Coach K met with some of the the big-name players Duke was trying to woo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: