RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kaela Davis leaves Georgia Tech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 05/28/15 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
As I posted last week, this makes sense. It's a risky move for Staley but one she needs to take.

I'm curious: why do you think she *needs* this? I mean, it certainly could be an asset, but .... necessary?

PostPosted: 05/28/15 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Dawn should be able to keep Kendra in her place, anyway.

PostPosted: 05/28/15 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Ditto on that! By the way, Kaela's mom, Kendra....does she have any past in the sport, or is she just a--DEVOTED(!)--mom?

PostPosted: 05/28/15 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:
As I posted last week, this makes sense. It's a risky move for Staley but one she needs to take.

I'm curious: why do you think she *needs* this? I mean, it certainly could be an asset, but .... necessary?

I interpreted it as Staley needs to do this (gamble) to reach the top. With the talent and system in place at UConn, Dawn needs to take some chances. Dealing with the Davis's is certainly a gamble, but if Kaela can play team ball (and Kendra lets her) then the move is clearly a good one. Davis is extremely talented, and with the right coaching, she could be a huge asset. Muffet took a gamble over 20 years ago on a top-ranked player that didn't work out and she has vowed never to make that mistake again. Team chemistry is certainly very important, and it starts with having players accepting any role that makes the team better.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/28/15 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Ditto on that! By the way, Kaela's mom, Kendra....does she have any past in the sport, or is she just a--DEVOTED(!)--mom?

Just a stage mom, AFAIK. It's her dad that was the athlete.

PostPosted: 05/28/15 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

]
Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

Dawn has created a buzz and expectations and she needs to have the players to match those expectations. She signed one player in 2015 (Canadian guard who may be good but not great) and has yet to get any commitments from the 2016 class. After next season SC loses All-American Tiff Mitchell, K Sessions, Tina Roy and Asia Dozier. That leaves a group of guards/wings named Cuevas, Farmer, Duckett and Cliney, none of whom will cause opposing coaches to think twice about doubling Wilson. Davis is a player who takes a ton of shots, misses 2/3 of them and commits 2 turnovers for every 1 assist. This will be interesting to watch without factoring in Kendra Davis...

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/28/15 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, it won't matter next season, anyway. She'll have a year to mold Miss Kaela into a team player and maybe something to fear. Then we'll see. The girl has plenty of raw talent, she needs discipline.

PostPosted: 05/29/15 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all the loose cannons that will be on South Carolina's team, Johnny Depp should be the head coach not Dawn Staley.

PostPosted: 05/29/15 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis to South Carolina. It's official.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 05/29/15 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

I interpreted it as Staley needs to do this (gamble) to reach the top. With the talent and system in place at UConn, Dawn needs to take some chances. Dealing with the Davis's is certainly a gamble, but if Kaela can play team ball (and Kendra lets her) then the move is clearly a good one. Davis is extremely talented, and with the right coaching, she could be a huge asset. Muffet took a gamble over 20 years ago on a top-ranked player that didn't work out and she has vowed never to make that mistake again. Team chemistry is certainly very important, and it starts with having players accepting any role that makes the team better.

Not to get off topic, but curious who you are referencing with Muffet? Thanks

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 05/29/15 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

It was Michelle Marciniak, who then transferred to Tennessee and had a great career. But things didn't work out at Notre Dame. Obviously the talent was there.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/29/15 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't Davis close with Kelsey Bone? The former top recruit who did not mesh with Dawn and transferred? This is why I am surprised she took Davis.

Also, can we get predictions on how many shots per game Coates gets this year with Davis sitting out and then next year when she is eligible?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/29/15 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

It was Michelle Marciniak, who then transferred to Tennessee and had a great career. But things didn't work out at Notre Dame. Obviously the talent was there.

I think Michelle always really wanted Tennessee and I don't know why she chose Notre Dame. I don't think she ever did either. She told Pat she had made a mistake and I think she always felt that way. Kids do that and they should be allowed to own their mistakes..

PostPosted: 05/30/15 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
45.9% TS%, 41.7% eFG%
.364 3PAr despite shooting 29% from 3
Nearly twice as many turnovers as assists
.232 FTr despite being a superior athlete

Where's the appeal?

2013-14

Davis: 18.7 points, 51.4 TS%
DeShields: 18.0 points, 50.5 TS%

Davis isn't as versatile, but anyone who can do that as a freshman will have appeal.

linkster

PostPosted: 05/30/15 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
45.9% TS%, 41.7% eFG%

Where's the appeal?

2013-14

Davis isn't as versatile, but anyone who can do that as a freshman will have appeal.

Exactly.

The LV's were, at one time, more than ready to accept the mother as long as they had the daughter. When she withdrew the verbal they trashed the mother but still had nothing but good to say about the daughter. Now the daughter is a mediocre diva who isn't wanted on any terms? LOL

How sour are those grapes. Smile

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 05/30/15 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This isn't just a just a risky move. It is an act of desperation. Dawn realized she was not attracting the recruits she had hoped. I really admire Dawn and the way she comports herself on and off the court but acts of desparation usually end up bad.

PostPosted: 05/30/15 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
This isn't just a just a risky move. It is an act of desperation. Dawn realized she was not attracting the recruits she had hoped. I really admire Dawn and the way she comports herself on and off the court but acts of desparation usually end up bad.

I don't think this move is that desperate, i think USC picking up the graduate transfer from Virginia is a little more puzzling. Coates is one of the best centers in the country and should probably play 30 mpg this year. Wilson should be a 30 mpg player at the 4. Jatarie White barely played last year but she is a top 10 recruit who should be good enough to backup the 4 and 5. Now they add the ACC's leading rebounder but did she really come to USC for one year to come off the bench? That could be interesting to see. At least with Davis she sits out and then can fill in when Mitchell graduates.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/30/15 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

I don't think this move is that desperate, i think USC picking up the graduate transfer from Virginia is a little more puzzling. Coates is one of the best centers in the country and should probably play 30 mpg this year. Wilson should be a 30 mpg player at the 4. Jatarie White barely played last year but she is a top 10 recruit who should be good enough to backup the 4 and 5. Now they add the ACC's leading rebounder but did she really come to USC for one year to come off the bench? That could be interesting to see. At least with Davis she sits out and then can fill in when Mitchell graduates.

Is it totally beyond the realm of possibility (or your imagination) that Sarah Imovbioh might actually have found a graduate program to her liking at South Carolina? UVA, despite what some of its alumni might think, is NOT the be-all and end-all. The Man is a UVA graduate and readily admits that he could have gotten just as good an education somewhere else.

PostPosted: 05/30/15 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Is it totally beyond the realm of possibility (or your imagination) that Sarah Imovbioh might actually have found a graduate program to her liking at South Carolina? UVA, despite what some of its alumni might think, is NOT the be-all and end-all. The Man is a UVA graduate and readily admits that he could have gotten just as good an education somewhere else.

Nah, these high profile transfers are almost always about basketball. Look at the quotes below, it is basketball related. If grad school was so important, would she have entertained the possibility of going pro? No one said South Carolina doesn't have good programs but if they were 5-25 last year she wouldn't go there, it is a basketball move.

“She wants to end on a positive note,” Stinnie told The Daily Progress. “This year, she wasn’t that happy-go-lucky Sarah that everybody’s used to. She’s just got a sour taste in her performance. And she wants to be able to go somewhere and go out on her own terms, playing the way she knows how to play.”

Stinnie said Imovbioh will either transfer and play immediately or turn professional.

“She was still out there banging and working her butt off and doing things,” Stinnie said, “but she just didn’t have that smile, that glow. Sure, some of the losing takes a toll, but I think there was more there.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/30/15 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Ummm...."desperate" might be a bit hyperbolic. Davis IS talented. And although her incoming class isn't star-studded, I haven't heard anything about Dawn having hit the bottom of any recruiting barrels just yet....have you?

PostPosted: 05/31/15 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Ummm...."desperate" might be a bit hyperbolic. Davis IS talented. And although her incoming class isn't star-studded, I haven't heard anything about Dawn having hit the bottom of any recruiting barrels just yet....have you?

It is a given that Dawn's star is on the rise and rightfully so. However when you juxtapose that with her recent recruiting it did not translate into the desired results I am sure she had hoped. There is always or seems to be a lean year after a highly successful year of recruiting as is the case in 2015 but so far the top players in the class of 2016 do not seem interested in SC. Cox has SC on her radar but it is a very long shot. Other than her no one. That raises concerns I am sure on Dawn's part and thus I think that acquiring Davis is indeed an act of
desperation.

Davis can in no way be considered to take the place of Tiffany. Tiffany is the complete player who also possesses leadership qualities. I recently saw Davis's numbers especially shooting from the perimeter especially the arc and I believe it is 29 per cent. I think the expectations for her are way too high.

PS- Dawn just doesn't have an eye on UCONN but others as well. Have you seen the success that Jeff is having at Louisville and Muffet at ND with their recent recruiting. As the man would say, whoa Nelly.

PostPosted: 05/31/15 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
RP wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
45.9% TS%, 41.7% eFG%

Where's the appeal?

2013-14

Exactly.

The LV's were, at one time, more than ready to accept the mother as long as they had the daughter. When she withdrew the verbal they trashed the mother but still had nothing but good to say about the daughter. Now the daughter is a mediocre diva who isn't wanted on any terms? LOL

Correction: "put up with", not accept. They put up with Jerry Gatewood, too, for a year....until he decided to take his special snowflake elsewhere so she could "play her game". (Unfortunately she was injured and pretty much disappeared from view permanently.......when last heard from, I believe she was coaching HS ball somewhere in California.) Anyway, it was a verbal only. And they have plenty of firepower and are guard heavy.

Your point? Nah, you're just stirring sh**.

PostPosted: 05/31/15 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Nah, these high profile transfers are almost always about basketball. Look at the quotes below, it is basketball related. If grad school was so important, would she have entertained the possibility of going pro? No one said South Carolina doesn't have good programs but if they were 5-25 last year she wouldn't go there, it is a basketball move.

“She wants to end on a positive note,” Stinnie told The Daily Progress. “This year, she wasn’t that happy-go-lucky Sarah that everybody’s used to. She’s just got a sour taste in her performance. And she wants to be able to go somewhere and go out on her own terms, playing the way she knows how to play.”

Stinnie said Imovbioh will either transfer and play immediately or turn professional.

“She was still out there banging and working her butt off and doing things,” Stinnie said, “but she just didn’t have that smile, that glow. Sure, some of the losing takes a toll, but I think there was more there.

That may be the case, but a little of both never hurts either.

Last edited by summertime blues on 05/31/15 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 05/31/15 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
45.9% TS%, 41.7% eFG%

Where's the appeal?

2013-14

You can't compare as DD did not play in her second year yet. Also Davis's second year on whole was worse than her first year. Although she went from 18 to 19 PPG her FG percentage dropped as did her 3 pt FG percentage. She had no double doubles in her second year. Her assists went up in second year but so did her TO's. Her rebounds per game went down and she still had a lot of DQ's. Now if you were to compare her to Tiffany Mitchell in her first and second, the player she is supposed be heir apparent to, Tiffany was and is much better especially as far as FG and 3pt FG percentage, assists and turnovers.

PostPosted: 05/31/15 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
RP wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
45.9% TS%, 41.7% eFG%

Where's the appeal?

2013-14

Exactly.

Huh?

I've yet to hear anything bad about Kaela -- from UT fans or otherwise. She does need discipline and to learn how to play as part of a team -- how could she not need that after being the lone super star at tech...didn't have equals on the court with her. Most HS super stars have to learn that lesson on the top teams -- she'll just need to learn it two years later. The red shirt season will be great for her.

UT's roster is in fine shape - especially since KD will have the same remaining eligibility ad DD assuming they both choose to use it all.

Davis had a second chance to choose UT and chose GA Tech. Why assume the third time would have been different? A lot of bad water under the bridge with UT and people around KD not KD. She has friends on the UT team -- so a worst case parental discord scenario would have potential to be ultra disruptive.

How, all things considered, is it sour grapes not to recruit KD a third time? I doubt you'll find a UT fan who doesn't wish things were different with the family - take that off the table and not sure what team wouldn't love to have her. Don't think UT can or needs to take the chance it isn't.

USC has more of a clean slate and KD slots well into their line up post Mitchell.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: