RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rules committee recommends moving games to four-quarter form

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 05/15/15 2:13 pm    ::: Rules committee recommends moving games to four-quarter form Reply Reply with quote

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/rules-committee-recommends-moving-women-s-basketball-games-four-quarter-format

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
auntie

PostPosted: 05/15/15 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that proposal seems to eliminate the one and one concept which rewards good free throw shooting. But I do like the idea of quarters.

PostPosted: 05/15/15 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also like the idea of quarters, instead of halves.

But to be cynical, I suspect another reason --- which was not mentioned in that article is to allow for more TV/radio commercials to be played during the breaks between the quarters. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 05/15/15 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like all the proposals, but one more I want to see: A maximum of two timeouts per team the last two minutes.

PostPosted: 05/16/15 3:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reducing the number of timeouts (both media and team) should speed up the game to under two hours.

The 10 second changes are good, but it seems that teams can still call a timeout as a way of lengthening the time to get the ball across half court.

As for allowing music at any dead ball, this is awful. A ball rolls out of bounds; cue the band. Player gets fouled with 10 seconds to go; blare some awful music. And God forbid, a monitor review in Knoxville including three rounds of Rocky Top.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 05/16/15 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Reducing the number of timeouts (both media and team) should speed up the game to under two hours.

The 10 second changes are good, but it seems that teams can still call a timeout as a way of lengthening the time to get the ball across half court.

As for allowing music at any dead ball, this is awful. A ball rolls out of bounds; cue the band. Player gets fouled with 10 seconds to go; blare some awful music. And God forbid, a monitor review in Knoxville including three rounds of Rocky Top.

Depends on the school......there will be a feeling out period...there are some schools where this will just turn into an NBA experience. (especially the big arenas like Colonial Life) and some where this will be ignored, some where this will be played to the hilt and be awesome (Cal, Stanford) and some where it will be played to the hilt and be obnixious (PRINCETON, Duke) and some where Natural Energy will be taken away (Rutgers comes to mind with their band having so many non instrument chants at the ready, Uconn as well you used to have the superfans break the blowout boredom with the Uconn Huskies chant that will now be replaced by some random Springsteen track) and some where energy could be enhanced (especially smaller schools)

I'd learn quickly to bring in some stingers or teach the band stingers for the shorter time outs. I dont hate this because I do believe there is too much dead air at some arenas. It's so fanbase depenedent that I can't really measure the impact. I do know there are places where people are like "it's WOMEN'S sports you're supposed to sit on your hands" and this should help end that....it really depends on how each school crafts it's own entertainment experience...Will say this will take a year or two for fans and teams to figure it out...the concern is valid but i think this is needed too many teams with dead fanbases, gotta try to wake em up

PostPosted: 05/16/15 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As long as the music is from the band, I'm fine with it. A can't stand canned music blasting every second that there is a dead ball. We have the pros for that.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/16/15 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"The committee believes the four-quarter format will enhance the flow of the game."

"The overall format will strengthen the connection of college basketball with womens basketball globally.

What a crock! What an irrelevancy! What a bunch of bureaucrats tinkering with trivia!

Changing to quarters will have no impact on the game itself or interest in the game. Basketball in the USA has always been on a four quarter basis on all school, pro and club levels except for college. It's been that way for college all my life. I like the difference for college and don't like change, especially useless change for the sake of illusory improvement.

If too many timeouts are slowing down the game -- and they are, especially in the last two minutes -- then just change the number of timeouts rule.

I've never liked the rule that allows advancing the ball to mid-court by calling a time out. It's almost like cheating to me. A deus ex machina. What should timeouts have to do with play position on the court? Why favor the offense over the defense in close games?

And I could care less about an imagined "strengthening of the connection" to FIBA basketball. Who cares? Basketball is a US sport, born and developed here. How many college basketball players will ever play FIBA basketball -- one thousandth of one percent? Does this imperceptible percentage of elite college players have some insuperable difficulty in adjusting from two halves to four quarters when they play a handful of FIBA games a year -- the same four quarter format they all played all their lives in high school and club ball?

What a crock!

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 05/16/15 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 05/16/15 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The men's committee is also recommending a reduction in timeouts and disallowing live ball TOs by coaches.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/17/15 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Media TOs would change from the current 4 per half (x2)= 8 to 1 x 4= 4 plus the 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th qtr breaks, which totals 6, for 2 less in total. There is no mention of the duration of these TOs. How can we conclude there will be an overall time reduction w/ this change?

I really like treating any TO prior to the media TO as the media TO. This eliminates those annoying "double" TO scenarios occurring at, for example, 12:04 and 11:52.

There are 2 recommendations I despise-

1- Advancing the ball after a TO in the last 59.9. This is pure NBA bullshit.

2-Noise during all deadballs. This is pure WNBA (and other pro league) bullshit. I admit it could be a good thing in some venues, as mentioned above, but I predict it will suck overall. SUN games were a chore for me, even when they were good, because of the constant noise. However, in search of the silver lining, this may render UCONN's annoying "ball-boy" fan obsolete.

I like the amendment to the 10-second rule.

The change to the FT bonus rule may serve to lengthen games despite the quarterly reset. However, this possible increase could be offset by the allowed elbow in the back down low- more contact but less fouls. Not sure I like that idea, and it seems counter to the recent "free-flow, more offense" imperative.

ETA: Won't the FT change hinder exciting comebacks in the familiar scenario of when a team is forced to put its opponent on the line, but has committed only, for example, 1 foul in the period? Now the team in the lead gets to the line sooner and the pressure of the 1-1 is eliminated. This seems counter to the stated excuse for the advancement of the ball after < than 1:00 TO.

As mentioned earlier in the thread- why the desire to "keep up" w/ FIBA?

If there is one thing from FIBA broadcasts that the NCAA should emulate, it is to have that british commentator guy call the games. That change would improve the TV broadcasts the most, imo!

Imagine a WCB TV world w/ no Burke, Peck, Ward, Lobo...the list is nearly endless.

Wink

Last edited by cthskzfn on 05/19/15 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 05/17/15 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No comment on the quarters...not sure (yet) how I feel about that...probably OK but I don't want a WNBA experience. I was a season ticket holder for the Monarchs for a season but gave them up because I couldn't stand what happened in the arena when they weren't actually playing basketball on the court. The music was awful.... I enjoy watching games on TV or online because I don't have to contend with all that crap.

At Cal I would hope/imagine the band would do its thing so I could handle that I suppose...but one reason I prefer the college game is because it's about basketball, not some contrived "show."

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/17/15 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA and HS games are in quarters. I find them both choppy and at the same time draggy. I wish the NCAA would leave well enough alone.

PostPosted: 05/17/15 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WBCA supports the changes. All actually connected to the game (analysts, coaches) love the changes.

Muffet McGraw @MuffetMcGraw May 15
Great new rule changes for Wbb: 4 10 min quarters =1 less time out, inbound the ball in front court after t.o. in last min=exciting finish👏

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/17/15 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think the quarters make that much difference ... the stoppages in play were there anyway, though this way they're more predictable (not waiting for a whistle for two of them).

I like advancing the ball a lot. It makes the end of the games much more interesting, and if they'd limit last-minute timeouts, it would be even more fun. Let the players play ...

PostPosted: 06/09/15 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NCAA has now made rule changes official. No surprises.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2015-06-08/ncaa-womens-basketball-adopts-new-rules-including-four-10

Quote:
NCAA womens basketball games will be played in four 10-minute quarters next season. . . .

Teams will now reach the bonus and shoot two free throws on the fifth team foul in each quarter. Previously, teams reached a one-and-one bonus on the seventh team foul of each half and reached the double bonus (two shots) on the 10th team foul.

The change to quarters has gotten the most attention, but I think the retirement of the one-and-one is also a very interesting change.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/09/15 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never liked having halves. High school and pros are quarters...it should all be standardized.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/09/15 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyLionsFan wrote:
I've never liked having halves. High school and pros are quarters...it should all be standardized.

Not all high schools are quarters. But I agree that standardization would be nice.

PostPosted: 06/10/15 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I like advancing the ball a lot. It makes the end of the games much more interesting, and if they'd limit last-minute timeouts, it would be even more fun. Let the players play ...

Talked to a D1 player and a D1 coach in the last 24 hours, both hate this.

It hampers pressure defensive teams by removing a club from their bag. Offensive team has trouble with pressure and is down one in the final minute? Abracadabra, alakazaam time-out-oh, the balls at the 28 foot mark poised for a quick pass into the big.

Folks are used to this rule from the NBA, but if you think about it, it's kinda like:

"Zobrist leading away from first, two out for the A's here in the ninth. And Bob Melvin calls time out, so Zobrist will of course scoot on over to third...."

or

"Third and six for the Eagles here in the final minute, down three, at their own 26 yard line. Chip Kelly signals for a time out and, of course, that will move the ball all the way down to the Cleveland 40 yard line...."

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/10/15 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Talked to a D1 player and a D1 coach in the last 24 hours, both hate this.

It hampers pressure defensive teams by removing a club from their bag. Offensive team has trouble with pressure and is down one in the final minute? Abracadabra, alakazaam time-out-oh, the balls at the 28 foot mark poised for a quick pass into the big.

Folks are used to this rule from the NBA, but if you think about it, it's kinda like:

"Zobrist leading away from first, two out for the A's here in the ninth. And Bob Melvin calls time out, so Zobrist will of course scoot on over to third...."

or

"Third and six for the Eagles here in the final minute, down three, at their own 26 yard line. Chip Kelly signals for a time out and, of course, that will move the ball all the way down to the Cleveland 40 yard line...."

All true ... but I still like the rule. Now defenses have to be strong in the halfcourt, and they know that in advance. And offenses have to spend time setting up plays from that spot on the floor.

It also adds another layer to in-game coaching, as you need to save your timeouts whether you're ahead or behind. (At the same time, though, I'd like a rule that says no more than two timeouts in the last minute, or maybe even one.)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: