RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Diamond DeShields impact on Tennessee
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 05/14/15 2:13 pm    ::: Diamond DeShields impact on Tennessee Reply Reply with quote

Will she lead Tennessee back to the FF?
She had a great freshman year at UNC. In a season she played at about 75% healthy. Now a full year off and getting fully healthy. What kind of impact will she have?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/14/15 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she will be a strong component on this team. A go to player offensively. It will be interesting to note how the staff use her. Is she going to have a green light like Simmons did to shoot seemingly whenever or will they diversify the offense and utilize a number of players. I also think a strong question will be the strength of Tennessees post game. And by that I mean the health of Russell.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/14/15 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If DeShields and Russell are both 100%, yes, they absolutely are a serious FF contender. They both have superstar potential, but keep in mind Tennessee's roster is at least 2 deep at every position. And we're talking quality depth. Like the best bench in the country quality. Even if they are not both dominant scorers, which DeSheilds has already proven to be the case, there is going to be enough here for UT to make a serious run during the post season.

linkster

PostPosted: 05/14/15 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tenn had really good team chemistry last season. During Simmon's 4 years it seemed that the 4 other players were reluctant to look for their own offense. On too many possessions they ended up giving the ball to Simmons and watching her try to score.

Last year Massengale, Harrison and Burdick became much more confident scorers and IMO Tenn might well have made the FF with Harrison. Even without her they almost got there. They played with a lot of energy and Warlick did a masterful job keeping them together after their leading scorer and rebounder went down.

Tenn is now faced with replacing 3 starters who averaged about 40% of the total team minutes for the last 2 years. The "glass half full" view is that they are being replaced by better talent and that it's onward and upward. Tenn may not lose more than 2 games in the regular season. They will have enough talent to beat most of the teams on their schedule even with a wholesale change in starting personnel. And I'm not suggesting that Tenn isn't a FF contender. But against elite level competition their lack of experience with each other could end up being their achilles heel, especially on the defensive end. Last year it was their offense that was their undoing. This year it may be their defense.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 05/15/15 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond brings that superstar talent.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 05/15/15 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:

And attitude.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 05/15/15 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:

And attitude.

proof?
linkster

PostPosted: 05/15/15 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond will likely put up superstar stats. Her offensive skills and athleticism are clearly superior and the lack of many elite teams in wcbb results in a majority of talent mismatches for that small group of elite programs. Whether that will be sufficient to put Tenn in the FF is to be seen. The massive turnover in personnel may result in the team needing a year to develop the cohesion they showed last year. And in 2016/17, Graves Moore and Jones will be gone and if Tenn fails to successfully recruit some post-type players, the starting front line becomes Russell, Dunbar & Nared. In that case DeShields will need to grow wings if the team is going to challenge for a NC.

bullsky

PostPosted: 05/16/15 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DeShields is obviously a great player but as I've said several times, the player development at Tennessee is at an all-time low right now. You don't see the same year-to-year improvements that you see with teams like UCONN, Louisville, Maryland, etc. Diamond will certainly help but you have to wonder how the team will adjust to having a go-to scorer. I think Tennessee's offense last year was pretty balanced and everyone got some looks. That will likely change with Diamond.

I've never been impressed with Russell. She underwhelms me.

PostPosted: 05/16/15 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DD has a good chance to be the first Tennessee superstar since Parker.

Holly Warlick has done a very good job recruiting and winning at Tennessee. Having a superstar can vault such a team into the Final Four.

The Lady Vols should be competitive next season with South Carolina and Notre Dame, but UConn will remain a puissant obstacle to a national championship. Samuelson, Collier and Chong may be unbeatable.
Durantula

PostPosted: 05/16/15 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
DeShields is obviously a great player but as I've said several times, the player development at Tennessee is at an all-time low right now. You don't see the same year-to-year improvements that you see with teams like UCONN, Louisville, Maryland, etc. Diamond will certainly help but you have to wonder how the team will adjust to having a go-to scorer. I think Tennessee's offense last year was pretty balanced and everyone got some looks. That will likely change with Diamond.

Izzy Harrison didn't improve a ton at Tennessee? If she wasn't hurt you could have seen Tenn in the Final 4 this year IMO.

A lot of improvement is on the individual player too, what do they do in the offseason. DeShields will be at USA Basketball and other events getting good competition to hone her skills. Even if you were pessimistic and for some odd reason assumed she wouldn't get better, her freshman level game at UNC would still help Tennessee a ton. At a minimum she should be stronger physically after sitting out a year and getting to work out more since she wasn't playing in games.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 05/16/15 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Diamond just might be that player to get Tennessee back to FF. If Russell plays the way she is expected. This team will be very very good.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/16/15 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
bullsky wrote:

Izzy Harrison didn't improve a ton at Tennessee? If she wasn't hurt you could have seen Tenn in the Final 4 this year IMO.

A lot of improvement is on the individual player too, what do they do in the offseason. DeShields will be at USA Basketball and other events getting good competition to hone her skills. Even if you were pessimistic and for some odd reason assumed she wouldn't get better, her freshman level game at UNC would still help Tennessee a ton. At a minimum she should be stronger physically after sitting out a year and getting to work out more since she wasn't playing in games.

Exactly. Plus maybe a change of attitude since she may be where she really wants to be. That happened with Michelle Marciniak, who did almost exactly the same thing 20+ years ago. Not that bullsky would remember, likely.

Sometimes I think bullsky's name should be bull-something else. S/he obviously hates Tennessee and never misses an opportunity to say something nasty about them. You know what they say about opinions and everybody having one, though. Razz

PostPosted: 05/16/15 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Holly Warlick has done a very good job recruiting and winning at Tennessee. Having a superstar can vault such a team into the Final Four.

The Lady Vols should be competitive next season with South Carolina and Notre Dame, but UConn will remain a puissant obstacle to a national championship. Samuelson, Collier and Chong may be unbeatable.

I thought you were being serious until I got to the "Chong" part.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 05/18/15 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:

I agree on Russell--underwhelming... Diamond though is a superstar in the making.

bullsky

PostPosted: 05/18/15 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Sometimes I think bullsky's name should be bull-something else. S/he obviously hates Tennessee and never misses an opportunity to say something nasty about them. You know what they say about opinions and everybody having one, though. Razz

I am a he, and no, I don't actually hate Tennessee. I just hate to see traditional power houses fall to the wayside. Nothing I said was nasty. I am calling it how I see it. If you think Holly is the best you can get with that budget and that reputation, then great, by all means enjoy. When was your last final four? I'll wait...

PostPosted: 05/18/15 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I am a he, and no, I don't actually hate Tennessee. I just hate to see traditional power houses fall to the wayside. Nothing I said was nasty. I am calling it how I see it. If you think Holly is the best you can get with that budget and that reputation, then great, by all means enjoy. When was your last final four? I'll wait...

When was yours? Ever?

I think they might well have made it this year if Izzy hadn't blown out her knee. I happen to think Holly is doing a damn good job. You sound like what we call "the fans on the hill" who are going to complain about anybody just because they are NOT PAT and not some other "major" coach (but then they can't name who that might be). Well, it's pretty hard to lure one of the top 3 or 4 away from wherever, and there's no guarantee that they'll be a miracle worker anyway...look at Gail Goestenkors and Texas. Holly has done better every year and they will get there, probably sooner than you think. Incidentally, the program also now has to deal with an AD who doesn't give a flying flip about women's athletics, in case you weren't aware.

PostPosted: 05/19/15 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you have players who are not happy for whatever reason, part of the problem could also be desire, burn out etc. Not saying that this is the case in this instance.

However, I have seen signs from players who were in a similar situation. These young ladies play a lot of games, probably too many before they get to college. DD does not have to play to go to college or to provide for herself. Lloyd, for example, had a compelling situation. DD may decide that basketball is not her goal.

Again, I am just pointing out that there are many reasons why some kids transfer or go in different directions. Here's hoping that DD has found the place where she is happy and the desire that is needed to compete again.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 05/19/15 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Diamond will win the wade trophy, I know Stewart will be the early/preseason favorite, but it's not a easy award to repeat. There's only be four players to Win it more then once.
GEF34

PostPosted: 05/19/15 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
I think Diamond will win the wade trophy, I know Stewart will be the early/preseason favorite, but it's not a easy award to repeat. There's only be four players to Win it more then once.

For a long time it was only awarded to seniors, so repeats weren't possible for many years (not sure the exact number). In the last 10 years 4 repeats (counting Maya Moore as 2 repeats).

bekcat1

PostPosted: 05/19/15 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
bullsky wrote:

I agree on Russell--underwhelming... Diamond though is a superstar in the making.

Mercedes played her freshman season on two painful feet, which have now been corrected. If she was "underwhelming", it was because she was injured. She healed up well enough to make the WUG team, and by all reports is moving better than she has in a long time, and feels pain free for the first time in a long time.

Fungai

PostPosted: 06/11/15 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
bullsky wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

When was yours? Ever?

I think they might well have made it this year if Izzy hadn't blown out her knee. I happen to think Holly is doing a damn good job. You sound like what we call "the fans on the hill" who are going to complain about anybody just because they are NOT PAT and not some other "major" coach (but then they can't name who that might be). Well, it's pretty hard to lure one of the top 3 or 4 away from wherever, and there's no guarantee that they'll be a miracle worker anyway...look at Gail Goestenkors and Texas. Holly has done better every year and they will get there, probably sooner than you think. Incidentally, the program also now has to deal with an AD who doesn't give a flying flip about women's athletics, in case you weren't aware.

What puzzled me was, when Izzy went down, there didn't seem to be much difference in how Tennessee played. In fact, there seemed to be an improvement at times . You'd think there would have been some drop off when a team's best player wasn't available. That makes me think there wouldn't have been much difference during the tournament, and possibly Tenn might have done worse with Izzy having to contend with some of the bigger better 5s on the elite teams.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/12/15 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All I know is that even with the injury to and resultant loss of McDaniel, UNC was no worse last year without DeShields than they were the year before with her.

So I'm not getting this notion that she is some transcendent talent who will magically transform any team she touches into an instant juggernaut.

She's a good player. But I'm not penciling her in for any POY awards or Tennessee for National Champion just yet.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/12/15 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I thought you were being serious until I got to the "Chong" part.

Does Chong's inclusion make the writer's opinion re: UCONN's NC outlook less than serious? Not really. That third name could be Daffy Duck, Mickey Mouse, or ArtBest.

Chong was nearly unbeatable last year, after having been so the year before.

Laughing

PostPosted: 06/15/15 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't wait to see DD in action this yr! I have high hopes that she can return the Vols to the FF and more!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: