RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oopsy, Epps!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/09/15 6:08 pm    ::: Oopsy, Epps! Reply Reply with quote

Kentucky rising sophomore Makayla Epps has been suspended by coach Matthew Mitchell after she was arrested on alcohol-related charges in her hometown.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12835820/makayla-epps-kentucky-wildcats-suspended-alcohol-incident

Doesn't seem like that big a deal to me, but I guess he has to make an example of her.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/10/15 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"This is really about trying to help her as a person," Mitchell said during a news conference involving player and staff updates. "People have to know that alcohol, young people dealing with alcohol, just rarely ends well. ... We're just going to spend a lot of time helping her there."

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 05/10/15 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He would have disciplined her if she smoked pot. Why should this be any different?

PostPosted: 05/10/15 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who said it would have been?

PostPosted: 05/10/15 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for Mitchell and hopefully good for Epps in the long run.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/10/15 6:52 pm    ::: Re: Oopsy, Epps! Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Kentucky rising sophomore Makayla Epps has been suspended by coach Matthew Mitchell after she was arrested on alcohol-related charges in her hometown.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12835820/makayla-epps-kentucky-wildcats-suspended-alcohol-incident

Doesn't seem like that big a deal to me, but I guess he has to make an example of her.

And a motor vehicle was involved which is more disconcerting.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 05/10/15 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MADD nazis run amok.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 05/10/15 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly this is being taken too lightly from title on down (except for one obvious exception who can speak for himself) in this thread. It IS a big deal, a motor vehicle was involved and the suspect was underage. Colleges take underage drinking seriously and so will Mitchell.

PostPosted: 05/10/15 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Making her practice by herself over the summer is kinda dumb, but I have nooooo issues with a coach suspending a player for breaking the law.

PostPosted: 05/10/15 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Honestly this is being taken too lightly from title on down (except for one obvious exception who can speak for himself) in this thread. It IS a big deal, a motor vehicle was involved and the suspect was underage. Colleges take underage drinking seriously and so will Mitchell.

I heard that she passed the breathalyzer. If that's true, count me as one of the people who doesn't think this is a big deal. Illegal? Yes. Stupid? Absolutely. Immoral? Meh.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 05/11/15 5:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NickDMB wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

I heard that she passed the breathalyzer. If that's true, count me as one of the people who doesn't think this is a big deal. Illegal? Yes. Stupid? Absolutely. Immoral? Meh.

By the (over)reaction of too many, it seems the girl may indeed have committed an immoral act!

Oh god, a car was involved! She may as well have been walking the streets w/ a loaded pistol shooting indiscriminately, some seem to think.

The car was parked. Was Epps behind the wheel? Was anyone? There was no BAC, apparently. One open beer can. She's 19. Not too long ago, that was legal drinking age. The whole scenario should have been filed under the BFD category as soon as the BAC came back 0. The appropriate cop response would be to confiscate the beer and follow the kids back to campus. End of story.

But not today, in the U.S. of Drama. Arrest the "perp" (lol)! Mitchell's overly dramatic statement is typical in this current MADD/DARE-induced, neo-prohibitive, anti-alcohol hysteria point in US history.

PostPosted: 05/11/15 6:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Without trying to draw any really fine lines, if she wasn't driving and wasn't drunk (which is what the Breathalyzer suggests), I don't see this as a particularly serious sin. Of course, if it's a violation of team rules, then some discipline is appropriate, but really only for that reason.

The truth is that most people have their first drink well below the drinking age, and the change from 18 to 21 in most of the country 30 years ago didn't much affect that. We shouldn't act like she did anything unusual if she had a beer.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/11/15 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eh, this should be viewed as a good thing, maybe the best thing that could have happened to her. It's not about what you can get away with. If you get away with something, what happens? You keep doing it and it tends to progress to a higher level because nothing bad ever happens. As it is she just gets embarrassed, but it'll probably be enough to discourage her from experimenting with drinking and driving again. She may not have been driving? Why would she be given a breathalyzer test? Even if she wasn't driving, it doesn't matter. She was putting herself into a potentially dangerous situation. I'm sure whoever was driving was drinking just as much as the passenger. It's not "fun" unless you're both drinking.

I'm all for zero tolerance of alcohol in driving situations. It helps prevent occurances like this. http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=83125

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NickDMB

PostPosted: 05/11/15 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Eh, this should be viewed as a good thing, maybe the best thing that could have happened to her. It's not about what you can get away with. If you get away with something, what happens? You keep doing it and it tends to progress to a higher level because nothing bad ever happens.

Huh? In my case, my underage drinking progressed to nothing, other than legally drinking later.

Shades wrote:
I'm all for zero tolerance of alcohol in driving situations. It helps prevent occurances like this. http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=83125

Edit upon rereading the article: No, it simply doesn't. It was a parked car. Saying it does is like pretending that the principal that suspends a six year old for pointing a chicken finger at another kid and saying bang is doing good work to prevent school shootings.

Last edited by NickDMB on 05/11/15 8:39 am; edited 2 times in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/11/15 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Without trying to draw any really fine lines, if she wasn't driving and wasn't drunk (which is what the Breathalyzer suggests), I don't see this as a particularly serious sin. Of course, if it's a violation of team rules, then some discipline is appropriate, but really only for that reason.

The truth is that most people have their first drink well below the drinking age, and the change from 18 to 21 in most of the country 30 years ago didn't much affect that. We shouldn't act like she did anything unusual if she had a beer.

That was my thinking. The hysteria over "underage drinking" is a little out of control, IMNSHO. Please, folks, take a deep breath and THINK for a minute. What beknighted says is absolutely true. Now if Epps committed a "violation of team rules", okay, but let's not freak out, please.

PostPosted: 05/11/15 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
By the (over)reaction of too many, it seems the girl may indeed have committed an immoral act!

Oh god, a car was involved! She may as well have been walking the streets w/ a loaded pistol shooting indiscriminately, some seem to think.

The car was parked. Was Epps behind the wheel? Was anyone? There was no BAC, apparently. One open beer can. She's 19. Not too long ago, that was legal drinking age. The whole scenario should have been filed under the BFD category as soon as the BAC came back 0. The appropriate cop response would be to confiscate the beer and follow the kids back to campus. End of story.

But not today, in the U.S. of Drama. Arrest the "perp" (lol)! Mitchell's overly dramatic statement is typical in this current MADD/DARE-induced, neo-prohibitive, anti-alcohol hysteria point in US history.

Agreed.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/11/15 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
beknighted wrote:

That was my thinking. The hysteria over "underage drinking" is a little out of control, IMNSHO. Please, folks, take a deep breath and THINK for a minute. What beknighted says is absolutely true. Now if Epps committed a "violation of team rules", okay, but let's not freak out, please.

Oh, we should only be concerned if a violation of team rules occurs? Well that makes complete sense.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/11/15 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Oh, we should only be concerned if a violation of team rules occurs? Well that makes complete sense.

Nice way to twist what I said. Some folks have reacted as if Epps committed some kind of "moral violation", when in reality she had an open can of beer, blew negative on a breathalyzer, and was apparently neither drinking, drunk, or driving. She committed a violation of team rules and is, IMO, being punished rather harshly. That's what I mean by quit freaking out. I think Mitchell overreacted a bit too, with the "individual training," bit, but that's his call.

PostPosted: 05/11/15 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's been reported several places that the breathalyzer test showed the presence of alcohol and she had slurred speech. You can criticize Mitchell all you want for suspending Makayla but he wouldn't do it without good reason. IMHO, he's not 'making an example of her'. His concern is more for the person than the team.

beknighted

PostPosted: 05/11/15 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
beknighted wrote:

To be clear, if the evidence indicated that she'd been driving while drinking, or was significantly impaired and driving, or that she was making a habit of getting drunk, I would be concerned about something other than the violation of team rules. (And, also to be clear, if there's a team rule against drinking, she's responsible for following it, and punishment for violation is no problem from my perspective.) But the health/moral/etc. issues are separate from the team rules question.

FWIW, I had some involvement in the drinking age fight in the 1980s. The statistical evidence did not suggest that there was any particularly good reason to raise the drinking age to 21. In fact (and this particularly nugget stunned me initially, although I figured out why it was true eventually), 19 and 20 year olds were less likely than average to be involved in drunk driving accidents and the actual peak (more like a spike) was 21-24 year olds. There also was evidence that raising the drinking age increased binge drinking among under-21 drinkers because you couldn't just go to a bar and have a beer and instead had to drink in environments where binge drinking was more likely.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/11/15 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Shades wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
beknighted wrote:

To be clear, if the evidence indicated that she'd been driving while drinking, or was significantly impaired and driving, or that she was making a habit of getting drunk, I would be concerned about something other than the violation of team rules. (And, also to be clear, if there's a team rule against drinking, she's responsible for following it, and punishment for violation is no problem from my perspective.) But the health/moral/etc. issues are separate from the team rules question.

FWIW, I had some involvement in the drinking age fight in the 1980s. The statistical evidence did not suggest that there was any particularly good reason to raise the drinking age to 21. In fact (and this particularly nugget stunned me initially, although I figured out why it was true eventually), 19 and 20 year olds were less likely than average to be involved in drunk driving accidents and the actual peak (more like a spike) was 21-24 year olds. There also was evidence that raising the drinking age increased binge drinking among under-21 drinkers because you couldn't just go to a bar and have a beer and instead had to drink in environments where binge drinking was more likely.

The raised drinking age was almost entirely propelled by the insurance company lobby, with some help from MADD. You can get married, establish credit, fight and die for your country, and sign legal contracts at 18, but you CAN'T DRINK ALCOHOL. Think about that for a minute. What?

PostPosted: 05/12/15 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
beknighted wrote:

The raised drinking age was almost entirely propelled by the insurance company lobby, with some help from MADD. You can get married, establish credit, fight and die for your country, and sign legal contracts at 18, but you CAN'T DRINK ALCOHOL. Think about that for a minute. What?

I have some stories about the MADD people that I probably shouldn't repeat.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/12/15 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The MADD people want to bring back prohibition

PostPosted: 05/12/15 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Eh, this should be viewed as a good thing, maybe the best thing that could have happened to her. It's not about what you can get away with. If you get away with something, what happens? You keep doing it and it tends to progress to a higher level because nothing bad ever happens. As it is she just gets embarrassed, but it'll probably be enough to discourage her from experimenting with drinking and driving again. She may not have been driving? Why would she be given a breathalyzer test? Even if she wasn't driving, it doesn't matter. She was putting herself into a potentially dangerous situation. I'm sure whoever was driving was drinking just as much as the passenger. It's not "fun" unless you're both drinking.

There are laws which prohibit public drunkenness.

PostPosted: 05/12/15 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Epps, a first team all-Southeastern Conference selection last season after averaging 14.9 points and 4.6 rebounds, was cited last month by Lebanon, Kentucky, police for possession of alcohol by a minor and having an open alcohol container in a motor vehicle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: