RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015-16 Schedules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bekcat1

PostPosted: 08/21/15 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="linkster"][quote="summertime blues"]
linkster wrote:
bekcat1 wrote:
linkster wrote:

The west coast trip will be challenging. But as far as getting them ready for their SEC schedule, they don't play a meaningful SEC game till January 25th. They'll have 4 weak conference opponents and Notre Dame before then.

They don't make the SEC schedule. And just WHEN does UConn have a meaningful AAC game? Ever?

I didn't say they did. I only pointed out that their early conference games weren't very challenging. Why is it that LV fans see their team as a likely one seed and FF team but then try to say that games against weak conference teams are "tough"?

As far as the AAC and meaningful games, UConn will have two and probably 3 games against S Fla. and of all the teams in the SEC, only Tenn and SC went further in the NCAA's. And USF actually managed to beat Chattanooga last year. But in any case that has nothing to do with the depth of the SEC.

I look at Tenn's entire schedule and see 2 games against last year's top 10. UConn has 4.

Three, if you want to get technical. Oregon State, Stanford, and Notre Dame. I know Stanford dropped some but they did spend time in the top 10.

As far as the SEC goes, there's a lot of unknowns. Mississippi State and Ole Miss might not be the teams they were last season. Vandy had all kinds of transfers. South Carolina lost the heartbeat of their team when Welch graduated. Kentucky lost a lot. The conference looks to be South Carolina, Tennessee, then everybody else. One thing I've learned about the SEC is the games are rough and physical and the coaching has improved immensely. You never count any game in the SEC as a sure win, even against USC or Tennessee. I might agree that overall, the conference might be a little weaker this season, but we shall see.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/21/15 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bekcat1 wrote:
linkster wrote:

I look at Tenn's entire schedule and see 2 games against last year's top 10. UConn has 4.

Three, if you want to get technical. Oregon State, Stanford, and Notre Dame. I know Stanford dropped some but they did spend time in the top 10.

I was referring to S Carolina and Notre Dame. I used the final AP poll as my reference. While it isn't perfect it has more validity as a predictive tool for this coming season than a ranking from last December.

The problem I see with the SEC is the regression of Georgia, Vandi & LSU. It wasn't that many years ago when all three of these teams were in the top 10 at least part of the season. Now they are just trying to make the field of 64.

bekcat1

PostPosted: 08/21/15 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
bekcat1 wrote:
linkster wrote:

I was referring to S Carolina and Notre Dame. I used the final AP poll as my reference. While it isn't perfect it has more validity as a predictive tool for this coming season than a ranking from last December.

The problem I see with the SEC is the regression of Georgia, Vandi & LSU. It wasn't that many years ago when all three of these teams were in the top 10 at least part of the season. Now they are just trying to make the field of 64.

And I thought you were talking about their OOC schedule. Either way, it's a new season. Last year folks were dissing Tennessee's OOC schedule and in the end their SOS was #1 and RPI was top 3. I'm willing to let the season play out. As it stands right now, the OOC schedule isn't a bad one. The conference is the bigger unknown to me and for the reasons we both stated.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/21/15 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee's OOC schedule is far more difficult than most teams from the Power 5 conferences. UConn's OOC schedule is brutal, but comparing other schools' OOC schedules to UConn will make just about every school look bad. Plus there are a couple of good reasons for Geno to schedule an insanely hard OOC schedule. The first is that he has a very experienced, very talented team, and thus fears no team, even if he has two top ten opponents in a row. Second, he has to make up for the relative weakness of the AAC schedule, as only USF is likely to sniff the top 25 this season. Tennessee has a reputation for creating a competitive OOC schedule and this year is no exception.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/21/15 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why the diss of Texas? Texas is going to be a whole lot better this year. Need I remind anyone that they were absolutely devastated by injuries last year? OTOH, UConn has been incredibly LUCKY over the last few years in *not* having several crippling injuries at once. I thought Tennessee did pretty well despite losing a critical post player early in the season and their key player late, but of course certain UConn folks will never acknowledge that, although other SEC fans of course do, just as we acknowledge that Kentucky's loss of Linnae Harper affected their eventual finish. But I guess haters will be haters.

PostPosted: 08/21/15 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Why the diss of Texas? Texas is going to be a whole lot better this year. Need I remind anyone that they were absolutely devastated by injuries last year? OTOH, UConn has been incredibly LUCKY over the last few years in *not* having several crippling injuries at once. I thought Tennessee did pretty well despite losing a critical post player early in the season and their key player late, but of course certain UConn folks will never acknowledge that, although other SEC fans of course do, just as we acknowledge that Kentucky's loss of Linnae Harper affected their eventual finish. But I guess haters will be haters.

I completely forgot Texas. So 4 top ten OOC. And yes, Texas is going to be very good this season.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/22/15 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

UConn was very fortunate last year when both Williams and Tuck came back from knee injuries and played important roles while no one else was lost for any significant time. But in 2013/14 they lost Tuck after 8 games and also lost Lewis for a third of the season. In addition Dolson played the entire season with an inflamed Plantar tendon in one foot and a stress fracture in the other. After losing both Lewis and Tuck after the Stanford game they went on the road to Maryland and then two days later played at Penn St with 7 scholarship players, winning both road games. All people remember is the undefeated season and forget that they overcame several injuries.

The loss of Harrison was indeed a bad break. Tenn won my admiration for how they played without her. But as for "losing a critical post player early in the season", I assume you mean Jones. Well, I love the energy with which she plays but she averaged less than 5 points/gm and less than 4 rbs/gm her first 2 years. Last season she averaged 9.5 points and 4.6 rbs in the nine games she played. hardly critical except for the fact that Tenn had little depth.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/22/15 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

UConn was very fortunate last year when both Williams and Tuck came back from knee injuries and played important roles while no one else was lost for any significant time. But in 2013/14 they lost Tuck after 8 games and also lost Lewis for a third of the season. In addition Dolson played the entire season with an inflamed Plantar tendon in one foot and a stress fracture in the other. After losing both Lewis and Tuck after the Stanford game they went on the road to Maryland and then two days later played at Penn St with 7 scholarship players, winning both road games. All people remember is the undefeated season and forget that they overcame several injuries.

The loss of Harrison was indeed a bad break. Tenn won my admiration for how they played without her. But as for "losing a critical post player early in the season", I assume you mean Jones. Well, I love the energy with which she plays but she averaged less than 5 points/gm and less than 4 rbs/gm her first 2 years. Last season she averaged 9.5 points and 4.6 rbs in the nine games she played. hardly critical except for the fact that Tenn had little depth.

Making the usual mistake of assessing a player's value based solely on the stat sheet.....for which you castigate others when they do so with a UConn player. Just don't go there.

PostPosted: 08/22/15 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Making the usual mistake of assessing a player's value based solely on the stat sheet.....for which you castigate others when they do so with a UConn player. Just don't go there.

The stats I used were to support an opinion I formed from watching her play the last 3 seasons. She gives everything she has every minute she is on the court but she has never shown much ability to put the ball in the hoop. She has no outside shot and loses the ball in the paint because she puts it on the floor too much. If Tenn could put Moore's offensive skills into Jones' body they'd have an AA candidate. As it stands they have two players, each with half a game.

whitedudeluvswnba

PostPosted: 08/23/15 4:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uconn easily wins the national championship again this year. Tennessee may make the final four but I doubt it. People are saying DD is coming in to save the Teneessee Lady Vols. Um all I see is yet another head case heading to Knoxville. She'll make a bit of an impact but not enough to make a dent in UConns plans of total domination.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/23/15 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jesus hypothetical Christ, would someone please post another schedule?

PostPosted: 08/23/15 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Jesus hypothetical Christ, would someone please post another schedule?

This one's for you, Queenie.

Houston non-conference schedule:

11/13/15 at College of Charleston Charleston, S.C. TBA
11/19/15 vs. Long Beach State Hofheinz Pavilion TBA
11/22/15 vs. Louisiana-Lafayette Hofheinz Pavilion TBA
LONE STAR SHOWCASE
11/26/15 vs. George Washington Austin, Texas 1:30 p.m. CT
11/27/15 vs. Wright State Austin, Texas 11:00 a.m. CT
11/28/15 vs. Iowa Austin, Texas 11:00 a.m. CT

12/05/15 at Rice Houston, Texas TBA
12/07/15 at Incarnate Word San Antonio, Texas TBA
12/12/15 vs. UNLV Hofheinz Pavilion TBA
12/17/15 at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Corpus Christi, Texas TBA
12/20/15 vs. UTRGV Hofheinz Pavilion TBA

The schedule difficulty is a little greater than that other AAC team, primarily because Coach Hughey doesn't have the players that Geno has.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/23/15 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor

2015-2016 SCHEDULE
Overall
0-0 Conf.
0-0 Home
0-0 Away
0-0 Neutral
0-0
Date Opponent / Event Location Time
11/03/15 vs. Texas A&M-Commerce Waco, Texas TBA
11/09/15 vs. Arkansas-Monticello Waco, Texas TBA
Preseason WNIT
11/13/15 vs. UT Arlington Waco, Texas 6:00 CT
11/16/15 TBD Waco, Texas TBA
11/19/15 TBD Waco, Texas TBA
11/22/15 TBD Waco, Texas TBA

Junkanoo Jam
11/26/15 vs. Cincinnati Freeport, Bahamas 1:00 p.m. CT
11/28/15 vs. Michigan State Freeport, Bahamas 4:45 p.m. CT

12/02/15 vs. Rice Waco, Texas TBA
12/04/15 vs. Northwestern State Waco, Texas TBA
12/06/15 vs. Grambling St. Waco, Texas TBA
12/13/15 vs. McNeese State Waco, Texas TBA
12/17/15 vs. Oral Roberts Waco, Texas TBA
Florida Sunshine Classic
12/19/15 vs. Miami Winter Park, Fla. 6:00 p.m. CT
12/21/15 vs. James Madison Winter Park, Fla. 4:00 p.m. CT

12/30/15 at Oklahoma State * Stillwater, Okla. TBA
01/02/16 vs. Oklahoma * Waco, Texas TBA
01/06/16 at Kansas * Lawrence, Kan. TBA
01/09/16 vs. TCU * Waco, Texas TBA
01/12/16 vs. West Virginia * Waco, Texas TBA
01/17/16 at Texas * Austin, Texas TBA
01/23/16 at Iowa State * Ames, Iowa TBA
01/27/16 vs. Texas Tech * Waco, Texas TBA
01/30/16 at West Virginia * Morgantown, W.V. TBA
02/03/16 vs. Kansas State * Waco, Texas TBA
02/06/16 vs. Kansas * Waco, Texas TBA
02/10/16 at TCU * Fort Worth, Texas TBA
02/13/16 at Texas Tech * Lubbock, Texas TBA
02/17/16 vs. Oklahoma State * Waco, Texas TBA
02/20/16 vs. Iowa State * Waco, Texas TBA
02/22/16 at Oklahoma * Norman, Okla. TBA
02/27/16 at Kansas State * Manhattan, Kan. TBA
02/29/16 vs. Texas * Waco, Texas TBA

Looks like Kim could go unfefeated and not get a 1 seed. Is the toughest OOC game with James Madison?????????

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/23/15 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Baylor

2015-2016 SCHEDULE
Overall
0-0 Conf.
0-0 Home
0-0 Away
0-0 Neutral
0-0
Preseason WNIT

Junkanoo Jam

Florida Sunshine Classic

Looks like Kim could go unfefeated and not get a 1 seed. Is the toughest OOC game with James Madison?????????

If it's not Michigan State! Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/23/15 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
Baylor

2015-2016 SCHEDULE
Overall
0-0 Conf.
0-0 Home
0-0 Away
0-0 Neutral
0-0
Preseason WNIT

Junkanoo Jam

Florida Sunshine Classic

If it's not Michigan State! Very Happy

I'd say the toughest would be Chatty, South Florida, or DePaul, who are all Preseason WNIT Opponents.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/24/15 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it sad that Mulkey schedule no road games. Baylor.s only games away from Waco are in the Bahamas and Florida, and since Winter Park is in the Orlando area it can't be considered a home game for Miami. I don't think it prepares the team well and it's bad for the sport.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/27/15 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan state releases their 2015 2016 schedule. Out of the conference highlights include Georgia Louisville and Baylor

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/082715aae.html

lvf08

PostPosted: 08/27/15 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers

2015-16 Rutgers Women’s Basketball Schedule
Fri. - Nov. 13 - at St. Joseph's
Mon. - Nov. 16 - at Seton Hall
Thu. - Nov. 19 - St. John's
Sun. - Nov. 22 - Temple
Thu. - Nov. 26 - vs. Tulane (Paradise Jam - St. Thomas)
Fri. - Nov. 27 - vs. Virginia (Paradise Jam - St. Thomas)
Sat. - Nov. 28 - vs. Green Bay (Paradise Jam - St. Thomas)
Thu. - Dec. 3 - at Florida State
Sun. - Dec. 6 - Arkansas
Wed. - Dec. 9 - Iona
Sun. - Dec. 13 - Savannah State
Sat. - Dec. 19 - LSU
Thurs. - Dec. 31 - Minnesota *
Mon. - Jan. 4 - at Iowa *
Thu. - Jan. 7 - Wisconsin *
Sun. - Jan 10 - at Ohio State *
Wed. - Jan. 13 - Illinois *
Sat. - Jan. 16 - at Nebraska *
Tue. - Jan. 19 - at Michigan State *
Sun. - Jan. 24 - Ohio State *
Wed. - Jan. 27 - at Indiana *
Sat. - Jan. 30 - Nebraska *
Thurs. - Feb. 4 - at Minnesota *
Sun. - Feb. 7 - at Penn State *
Wed. - Feb. 10 - Northwestern *
Sat. - Feb. 13 - at Illinois *
Thurs. - Feb. 18 - Michigan State *
Sun. - Feb. 21 - Maryland *
Thurs. - Feb. 25 - at Purdue *
Sun. - Feb. 28 - Michigan *

Home games in bold and played at the RAC
* - Big Ten Conference game
Dates and times are subject to change

http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/082715aae.html

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/28/15 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally! (although it's an article) Missouri State's non-conference schedule: http://www.missouristatebears.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/082515aaa.html

It looks like Kellie has scheduled some fairly decent teams--Mizzou, Ole Miss, Stanford, plus whoever else they play in the Gulf Coast showdown. I really hope they beat Mizzou again like they did last year. I dislike Robin Pingeton intensely. Go Bears!

PostPosted: 08/28/15 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:
Rutgers

2015-16 Rutgers Women’s Basketball Schedule
Fri. - Nov. 13 - at St. Joseph's
Mon. - Nov. 16 - at Seton Hall
Thu. - Nov. 19 - St. John's
Sun. - Nov. 22 - Temple
Thu. - Nov. 26 - vs. Tulane (Paradise Jam - St. Thomas)
Fri. - Nov. 27 - vs. Virginia (Paradise Jam - St. Thomas)
Sat. - Nov. 28 - vs. Green Bay (Paradise Jam - St. Thomas)
Thu. - Dec. 3 - at Florida State
Sun. - Dec. 6 - Arkansas
Wed. - Dec. 9 - Iona
Sun. - Dec. 13 - Savannah State
Sat. - Dec. 19 - LSU
Thurs. - Dec. 31 - Minnesota *
Mon. - Jan. 4 - at Iowa *
Thu. - Jan. 7 - Wisconsin *
Sun. - Jan 10 - at Ohio State *
Wed. - Jan. 13 - Illinois *
Sat. - Jan. 16 - at Nebraska *
Tue. - Jan. 19 - at Michigan State *
Sun. - Jan. 24 - Ohio State *
Wed. - Jan. 27 - at Indiana *
Sat. - Jan. 30 - Nebraska *
Thurs. - Feb. 4 - at Minnesota *
Sun. - Feb. 7 - at Penn State *
Wed. - Feb. 10 - Northwestern *
Sat. - Feb. 13 - at Illinois *
Thurs. - Feb. 18 - Michigan State *
Sun. - Feb. 21 - Maryland *
Thurs. - Feb. 25 - at Purdue *
Sun. - Feb. 28 - Michigan *

Home games in bold and played at the RAC
* - Big Ten Conference game
Dates and times are subject to change

http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/082715aae.html

The non-conference schedule is unusual for RU in that there are 6 home games, 3 neutral site games and only 3 away games. There have been a lot of years when the home and away games were even.

On the whole, I like it. There's less challenge than some years, but it's balanced out by having fewer games against really bad teams. The game against Seton Hall ought to be interesting, if for no other reason than to see if the Pirates can manage a home court advantage crowd at Walsh, something they never did when both teams were in the BEast.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/28/15 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
There's less challenge than some years,

It looks like there's ONE likely top 25 OOC game, and that one was forced on them as their ACC-Big10 Challenge matchup.

I don't recall recent schedules being notably more difficult than this one, but this one certainly seems underwhelming.

beknighted

PostPosted: 08/28/15 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

It looks like there's ONE likely top 25 OOC game, and that one was forced on them as their ACC-Big10 Challenge matchup.

I don't recall recent schedules being notably more difficult than this one, but this one certainly seems underwhelming.

You certainly have to account for the likelihood of a top-25 matchup in the challenge when you make the rest of your schedule.

Last year, the schedule included Tennessee and North Carolina (both top 15), plus LSU, the top ARV team in the pre-season AP poll, but also Wagner, Davidson, Northeastern, Colgate and Iona. Hence my comment - there was a lot of soft underbelly there.

I'd guess the average quality of the opponents is up this year - I count 7 teams that made the NCAAs (2 as one-bid conference winners, but one of those is UWGB) and 2 teams that advanced to at least the 2nd round of the WNIT, both more than last year. It's not a schedule like in the oughts, when RU once played 3 top 10 teams in a week in OOC, but considering the status of the program, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 08/28/15 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio University OOC Schedule:

11/15/15 at Illinois Champaign, Ill.

Akron Classic
11/20/15 vs. Florida Gulf Coast Akron, Ohio
11/21/15 vs. Winthrop Akron, Ohio

Vanderbilt Thanksgiving Tournament
11/27/15 vs. Indiana Nashville, Tenn.
11/28/15 at Vanderbilt Nashville, Tenn.

12/03/15 vs. IPFW Athens, Ohio
12/06/15 vs. Saint Francis (PA) Athens, Ohio
12/13/15 at Duquesne Pittsburgh, Pa

Seahawks Hampton Inn Christmas Invitational
12/18/15 at UNC-Wilmington Wilmington, N.C.
12/19/15 vs. East Carolina Wilmington, N.C.

12/29/15 vs. Middle Tennessee State Athens, Ohio

Pretty good schedule for the defending MAC champs. No top 10 teams, but some very solid opponents, and 3 from Power 5 conferences. The Bobcats upgrade their OOC schedule as they try to continue the resurgence that began last season.

PostPosted: 08/28/15 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

You certainly have to account for the likelihood of a top-25 matchup in the challenge when you make the rest of your schedule.

Last year, the schedule included Tennessee and North Carolina (both top 15), plus LSU, the top ARV team in the pre-season AP poll, but also Wagner, Davidson, Northeastern, Colgate and Iona. Hence my comment - there was a lot of soft underbelly there.

I'd guess the average quality of the opponents is up this year - I count 7 teams that made the NCAAs (2 as one-bid conference winners, but one of those is UWGB) and 2 teams that advanced to at least the 2nd round of the WNIT, both more than last year. It's not a schedule like in the oughts, when RU once played 3 top 10 teams in a week in OOC, but considering the status of the program, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable.

What's an ARV team?

beknighted

PostPosted: 08/28/15 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
beknighted wrote:

What's an ARV team?

Sorry - "also receiving votes," the teams that are not in the top 25 but got some votes. LSU started last year at the top of that list, so "ranked" 26th.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: