RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Did Jefferson & Loyd do McGraw a favor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLoneGranger

PostPosted: 04/22/15 11:11 am    ::: Did Jefferson & Loyd do McGraw a favor? Reply Reply with quote

"I thought [Moriah] was a great defender tonight," Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw said. "She made things hard for Jewell. We weren't able to get anything going because most of our offense runs through Jewell. And she really did a great job denying her the ball."

Stewart won every POY of not for 2015. Loyd had to realize she had no hope of ever winning a POY award in 2016. She would not be the first pick in the WNBA draft and possibly not even the second pick in 2016. So she bolts early for the NBA. Jefferson shuts down Loyd and by extension limits Notre Dame's Loyd centric offense. Perhaps McGraw will not funnel her offense through one player again. With Loyd gone McGraw must revamp her offense. Probably for the better. Notre Dame will probably be a much better TEAM in 2016. Coaching-wise if Auriemma did not exist, McGraw and Notre Dame would be the NCAA champs repetitively.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/15 11:15 am    ::: Re: Did Jefferson & Loyd do McGraw a favor? Reply Reply with quote

TheLoneGranger wrote:

"I thought [Moriah] was a great defender tonight," Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw said. "She made things hard for Jewell. We weren't able to get anything going because most of our offense runs through Jewell. And she really did a great job denying her the ball."

Stewart won every POY of not for 2015. Loyd had to realize she had no hope of ever winning a POY award in 2016. She would not be the first pick in the WNBA draft and possibly not even the second pick in 2016. So she bolts early for the NBA. Jefferson shuts down Loyd and by extension limits Notre Dame's Loyd centric offense. Perhaps McGraw will not funnel her offense through one player again. With Loyd gone McGraw must revamp her offense. Probably for the better. Notre Dame will probably be a much better TEAM in 2016. Coaching-wise if Auriemma did not exist, McGraw and Notre Dame would be the NCAA champs repetitively.

I had to check the URL. I assumed I had navigated to The Boneyard by mistake when I saw this post.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/22/15 11:35 am    ::: Re: Did Jefferson & Loyd do McGraw a favor? Reply Reply with quote

TheLoneGranger wrote:

It's not unusual for a team to run their offense through their best player. I remember Mulkey plain as day saying during one of her halftime interviews: "We need to get the ball to Griner! She doesn't always have to shoot the ball, but the offense must run through her!!"

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/22/15 2:09 pm    ::: Re: Did Jefferson & Loyd do McGraw a favor? Reply Reply with quote

TheLoneGranger wrote:

That's a pretty good theory of why Loyd would choose to enter the draft this year instead of next, in spite of the outcome of the FF game.

Next year N.D. will be good but there is no question in my mind that they would be better with Loyd in the line-up and with the offense running through her.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/22/15 2:22 pm    ::: Re: Did Jefferson & Loyd do McGraw a favor? Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

It's not unusual for a team to run their offense through their best player.

Deftly understated.

I interpreted the suggestion to be that McGraw shouldn't run her offense through Ali Patberg next season. I suspect she'll take that advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: