RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015 Gulf Coast classic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/22/15 8:44 am    ::: 2015 Gulf Coast classic Reply Reply with quote

This Thanksgiving weekend event held in Estero Florida will feature LSU, Stanford, Dayton, Purdue, Louisville, Marist, Maine, and Missouri State.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27830&SPID=2167&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210038917&DB_OEM_ID=5200

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/15 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's actually a pretty good field for one of these tournaments.

Maybe I wrong but my impression is that the Paradise Jam fields have been getting less impressive than they were a few years ago. Maybe some other tournaments like this one are easier to get to or have better facilities and conditions perhaps?

I wonder if Versyp knew who the competition would be when she signed up. This seems a departure from her recent efforts to downgrade Purdue's OOC schedule.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/22/15 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Part of email I received re this tournament next season as credentialed media last season:

The women’s tournament features a strong field in which all eight teams played in postseason last year, including three teams that participated in the NCAA Tournament. Dayton advanced to the Elite Eight and led eventual National Champion and defending Gulf Coast Champion Connecticut at halftime before falling in its bid to advance to the Final Four. Louisville and Stanford both spent the entire season ranked among the Top 25 and each advanced to the Sweet Sixteen.

2015 GULF COAST SHOWCASE WOMEN’S FIELD

Dayton (Atlantic 10 Conference)
Louisville (Atlantic Coast Conference)
LSU (Southeastern Conference)
Maine (America East Conference)
Marist (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference)
Missouri State (Missouri Valley Conference)
Purdue (Big Ten Conference)
Stanford (Pac-12 Conference)

“The mission of the Gulf Coast Showcase is to annually showcase the best teams in women’s hoops,” said Debbie Antonelli, ESPN analyst and Gulf Coast Showcase Tournament Host. “Last year, UConn rolled to the tournament title but we have eight great programs for 2015 and any of those eight could be playing for the crown on Sunday night.”

2014 Tournament Wrap-Up

More than 20,000 fans attended the tournament last November, and the first night of the women’s tournament set a tournament record with 3,987 fans in attendance as UConn debuted in Southwest Florida.

Four women’s teams from the 2014 Gulf Coast Showcase advanced to the NCAA Tournament led by eventual National Champion Connecticut. Minnesota, Green Bay and Arizona State also earned berths with the Sun Devils advancing to the Sweet Sixteen.

Four players from last season’s women’s tournament were named AP All-Americans. UConn’s Breanna Stewart and Minnesota’s Amanda Zahui B. were both first-team honorees while UConn teammates Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Moriah Jefferson were named to the second team. Stewart was named the AP National Player of the Year for the second straight season.
Shades

PostPosted: 04/22/15 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The tournament was pretty sweet last year. I just wished Minnesota was playing better at time. Banham especially stunk it up, which is surprising since she's a senior who should be able to handle any situation. Is this tournament played over an ice rink?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/22/15 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Is this tournament played over an ice rink?

It certainly was! Germain Arena. Not being warned, I sat there the first day in shorts and a t-shirt. The next 2 days I wore my "flight back to CT." clothes and even that wasn't warm enough.

Caught my first cold in 3 years. In Florida, no less.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/22/15 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
Shades wrote:

It certainly was! Germain Arena. Not being warned, I sat there the first day in shorts and a t-shirt. The next 2 days I wore my "flight back to CT." clothes and even that wasn't warm enough.

So it could adversely affect some players, even if they're from Minnesota. Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/22/15 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:
Shades wrote:

So it could adversely affect some players, even if they're from Minnesota. Wink

I caught the wink and though I'm sure the outcome wouldn't have changed, I wondered at the time, as cold as it was in the stands, how could the players and coaches stand it playing and sitting directly over the source.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: