RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

U16s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 06/23/15 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally we get to games. All of them will be live and replayed on FIBA's YouTube channel.

The first game will be at 7:00pm EDT tomorrow and can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkmE21qktKc

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/24/15 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We get the games, but sure would be nice if there was an English speaking announcer.

I want Alexis Morris on my team. Really quick, can slash to the hoop and shoot from outside, great body control. And she defends. Plays terrific for a 15 year old.

It's only been a half of one game, but for a half she is the best player on the floor.

As usual the stats are FIBA amateur hour. The US had a ton of blocks; only 4 were scored. Only 2 steals were scored.

Got the game on the computer, stats on the tablet, US roster open on my phone so I can try to follow jersey numbers. it's less than ideal but better than nothing.

Clay, do you know DeCosta from St Mary's? Someone should tell her that passing the ball is preferable to turning it over.

awhom111

PostPosted: 06/24/15 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it's anything like other FIBA Americas events, the same announcers will magically start announcing in English at the end of the tournament. Their English is better than my Spanish, but it gets interesting at times.

FIBA has not put up links to Thursday's games, but the United States plays at 3:00pm EDT against Honduras.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/25/15 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know DaCosta personally but she's a great young player. She's always played the post but I believe they're starting to try to see if she can play on the perimeter. If so, growing pains are part of the process ...

PostPosted: 06/25/15 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Clay, do you know DeCosta from St Mary's? Someone should tell her that passing the ball is preferable to turning it over.

I am sure Clay would agree that I know De Costa better than he does. Those taking the ball the length of the floor resulting in turnovers was very uncharacteristic of her usual play. The team she plays for is all passing. I watched the game and it was obvious that she seemed somewhat frustrated that she couldn't get any touches. It seemed that she wasn't getting involved in the offense. When ever she was open they either threw the ball to someone else who was open or spotted her too late. I think she decided the only way she was going to get involved in the offense was if she took a rebound the length of the floor. Not really a smart move considering the results. In her defense there was very poor ball movement until the start of the second half. And a lot of missed shots.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/25/15 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I am sure Clay would agree that I know De Costa better than he does. Those taking the ball the length of the floor resulting in turnovers was very uncharacteristic of her usual play. The team she plays for is all passing. I watched the game and it was obvious that she seemed somewhat frustrated that she couldn't get any touches. It seemed that she wasn't getting involved in the offense. When ever she was open they either threw the ball to someone else who was open or spotted her too late. I think she decided the only way she was going to get involved in the offense was if she took a rebound the length of the floor. Not really a smart move considering the results. In her defense there was very poor ball movement until the start of the second half. And a lot of missed shots.

Well, if she's going to start playing the perimeter, she needs to frequently do the old "set out some chairs and dribble up and down the court back and forth between them for an hour or so." Her judgment was bad on those plays, but so was her dribbling. She dribbles the ball way too hard and way too high, which is why she easily lost it on both of those plays. She has a lot of work to do or someone's just going to poke it away every time she puts it on the floor.

I have to say, when I saw her decisionmaking, my immediate thought was "oh, she's from St. Mary's, she'll fit right in at Cal."

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/25/15 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missed most of the first half today and wondered what the heck was going on when I turned it on and it was 23-17 with only a few minutes left in the half.

Then the US cranked up the defensive pressure, got steal after steal and fast break after fast break for a 15-3 run and a 38-20 halftime lead.

And is it the soccer culture in these Central and South American countries because the flopping is quite remarkable.

awhom111

PostPosted: 06/25/15 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The final group stage game at 9:00pm EDT on Friday can be seen here live or on replay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbKUPzKU2bQ

If Mexico beats Argentina in a game going on right now, Mexico and the United States will have already qualified for the semifinals and the 2016 U17 World Championships.

awhom111

PostPosted: 06/27/15 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The semifinal for the United States will be against Brazil at 7:00pm EDT on Saturday. FIBA does not have the link up on YouTube, but it should be there by game time.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/27/15 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
The semifinal for the United States will be against Brazil at 7:00pm EDT on Saturday. FIBA does not have the link up on YouTube, but it should be there by game time.

US losing 45-27 at the half. They were down by 22 a couple minutes ago. What a horrific 20 minutes of basketball. Seems nearly every US player wants to be the star and the hero, going 1-on-5 or jacking up 3s while shooting about 25%. Meanwhile "defense" mostly consists of committing fouls, and the US is getting killed on the boards.

Really ugly.

They'd better come out with a different attitude or they're going to get smoked.

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/27/15 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there a link to the live stats? I cannot find it.

willtalk

PostPosted: 06/27/15 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know the name of the USA head coach off hand but she is absolutely horrible. Very methodical will little ability to make in game adjustments. Runs her rotations the same every game with no regard to each players in game effectiveness. I guess when you have a whole lot of talent to work with year after year it hides that sort of weakness. But it sure shows up when you are in a game when you are being challenged.

found the Name it's Dora Oldeker from Mt Leb. Pa. She is about as aware as the fish with the same name in the movie "Finding Nemo"

It's not the players it's the coach.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 06/27/15 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brazil kicked their butts but good 72-63. They have been playing out of control every game. Young, need to grow. As for right now in this class you don't have really a stellar player. Rather pedestrian but who knows, they are so young, you never know.

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/18/15/87/17/48cCGwMyj1cpY/

PostPosted: 06/27/15 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Brazil kicked their butts but good 72-63. They have been playing out of control every game. Young, need to grow. As for right now in this class you don't have really a stellar player. Rather pedestrian but who knows, they are so young, you never know.

I think there are several stars.

Personally I think the coaching was abysmal. They never showed any game plan on offence or defense, and the substitution patterns were far too frequent and bizarre. They got through pool play by simply being much better than their opponents. It looked like Hatchell ball. Get a bunch of talent and just roll them out on the floor.

There was a point in the 2nd quarter (which is when the game was lost) when the US was struggling to score. Yet two times in a row when a US player made a basket she was immediately taken out of the game. It made zero sense.

They won't, but I wish they'd turn this over to some college coaches for the Worlds.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 06/27/15 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Durantula

PostPosted: 06/27/15 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Personally I think the coaching was abysmal. They never showed any game plan on offence or defense, and the substitution patterns were far too frequent and bizarre. They got through pool play by simply being much better than their opponents. It looked like Hatchell ball. Get a bunch of talent and just roll them out on the floor.

They won't, but I wish they'd turn this over to some college coaches for the Worlds.

I didn't get to see the games, who are the standouts for Team USA? Not necessarily this past game, just for the tournament overall.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/27/15 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I picked Morris as a star after the first half of the first game and I'd still say that. Short but greased lightening and with some coaching and placed in the right system she's got real potential. If she goes somewhere they play streetball, then it may be wasted.

I'd be happy to see her play for McGraw.

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/27/15 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see some criticism of the coaches and I didn't see the game but I think one point is worth mentioning and it is an odd dynamic. So the coaches for Team USA supposedly do not even get to pick the team, a committee that isn't involved in coaching picks. If you are a coach don't you want some input into who is on your team? It would be odd if some of the players who you don't think were that good at trials are placed on the team without your input. Maybe going forward USA should involve the coaches in the selection process?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/27/15 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
I see some criticism of the coaches and I didn't see the game but I think one point is worth mentioning and it is an odd dynamic. So the coaches for Team USA supposedly do not even get to pick the team, a committee that isn't involved in coaching picks. If you are a coach don't you want some input into who is on your team? It would be odd if some of the players who you don't think were that good at trials are placed on the team without your input. Maybe going forward USA should involve the coaches in the selection process?

That's no excuse for not coaching them.

Besides the reality is that the coaches have a lot of input.

awhom111

PostPosted: 06/27/15 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the first loss for the United States at the U16/U17 (same player groups) ever on either the girls or boys side.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 06/28/15 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

There was a point in the 2nd quarter (which is when the game was lost) when the US was struggling to score. Yet two times in a row when a US player made a basket she was immediately taken out of the game. It made zero sense.

Yes, there are stars but I have yet to see that standout over the top talent we have been used to seeing in the last couple of classes like Stewart, Turner, Mitchell, Deshields, Durr, Simms, etc. Maybe it is the undiscplined team play coupled with their inexperience that muted their true abilities. Time will tell.

Addendum: I remember when the rest of the world started to catch up with the boys and men of the U.S. The international teams played together, especially on the higher levels for a greater period of time as opposed to the U.S. (see Spain).
With that in mind, is that the case with many of these South American teams. Are they playing together for a longer period of time? Is this loss indicative that the rest of the world is indeed catching up or can we attribute it as many say here to abysmal coaching?.

PostPosted: 06/28/15 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There were issues with this group from the start. This seems to be a combination of a lot of issues.

It usually takes a few weeks for these issues to come out after one can wade through people's agendas.

The thoughts coming out of try outs were no star power, no leadership, team play weak and very poor shooting. Even those that were not selected had issues.

The coaching side will be interesting. We will see if there is a change going forward into Worlds.

All teams have issues, but there are usually a leader and star that brings team together. Even some of the better players have trouble setting their ego aside for the team.

Must add that one of the biggest issues with players is lack of IQ, the majority have major problems with even running sets let alone understanding flow and game management. However, coach seemed lacking in this area from my couch when the game needed some defensive pressure and fouls to put USA in a better position to put more pressure on Brazil.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/28/15 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The games are all available. Anyone can go watch all of them and draw their own conclusions.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 06/28/15 9:42 am    ::: What a doozy! Reply Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked

Are any of you out there watching club right now? Bunch of self centered babies who think they are the shit. Good luck recruiting from that pool. Coaches are really going to have to do their job and wade through all the BS.

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/28/15 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why didn't Texas commit Sedona Prince play more? She put up pretty good numbers and with her size she would have made it tough for teams to score inside. One of USA's posts shot 25% which is bad enough to make you wonder why she played a lot.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 06/28/15 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After watching the loss to Brazil again and having previously watched the other games live, please never let Dori Oldaker near a national team again. There was never a hint of cohesion from the first game to last just random acts of team play on occasion and appears that occurred by accident as it certainly was not intentional.

Case in point, Brazil had 20 assists and the USA had but eleven.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: