RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

U16s
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/20/15 3:11 pm    ::: U16s Reply Reply with quote

The coaches have been announced for the USA U16 team this summer (and likely the U17 team for next summer as well). Instead of three high school coaches, they went with two high school coaches and one NAIA coach:
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/04/u16-coaches-announced.aspx

They are doing the large tryout thing again which is always interesting especially at this age group where it will generally be the first experience at this level for the players.

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/24/15 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 35 invited players have been announced:
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/04/2015-wu16-trials-invitees.aspx

More useful roster format:
http://www.usab.com/womens/u16/roster.aspx

They are still sorting out the applicants for the rest of the tryout spots.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 04/25/15 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though there's almost no chance of one of the walk-ons nudging one of the "usual suspects" off the final roster, they had to do this.

There was one pre open tryout year when not one player north of Orange County -- no LA city players, no Bay Area, no Sacramento, Portland or Seattle -- was invited to the tryouts. Kinda tough to call it a "national" team when one of the most heavily populated and basketball-crazed regions gets no invites.

At least the open tryout insures kids from various parts of the country CAN be seen. Whether any of the coaches bother to seriously consider them is another thing but they can if they choose to.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/26/15 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, a couple non-invited kids usually do make the final roster: Kennedy Burke and Sabrina Ionescu both did, and there are more that I can't recall.

PostPosted: 04/26/15 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
The 35 invited players have been announced:
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/04/2015-wu16-trials-invitees.aspx

More useful roster format:
http://www.usab.com/womens/u16/roster.aspx

They are still sorting out the applicants for the rest of the tryout spots.

Breakdown of the states the girls come from

Texas - 8
Georgia - 4
California - 3
Florida - 3
Maryland - 2
Minnesota - 2
Ohio - 2
Virginia - 2
The following states have one player listed: Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, and North Carolina.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 04/26/15 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, a couple non-invited kids usually do make the final roster: Kennedy Burke and Sabrina Ionescu both did, and there are more that I can't recall.

Didn't know that. I just remember the eventual three-time WA state player of the year who is now at Stanford getting cut right out of the gate.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/26/15 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who was that? I've been at most of the recent camps, and the early cuts are pretty brutal, and reasonably random. You have to make an impression on one member of the selection committee pretty quickly, or you're history.

PostPosted: 04/27/15 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brittany McPhee

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/28/15 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
Brittany McPhee

McPhee's an interesting player, and I can see why she wouldn't make a USA team.

Generally, international teams try to zone the U.S. so perimeter players, which McPhee is at that level, have to be a three-point threat, which McPhee is not. She's also not uber-athletic, so she's not a great defender.

All that said, McPhee was a brilliant high school player who got a ton of points in the paint and led a good team to some great records in Washington.

But Brittany Boyd didn't make USA Basketball either, because she couldn't shoot, and she was a top ten WNBA draft pick.

PostPosted: 04/28/15 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

But Brittany Boyd didn't make USA Basketball either, because she couldn't shoot, and she was a top ten WNBA draft pick.

I don't believe picks ## 5, 6 and 10 (Parker, Hamby, Logic) ever played USA Basketball either.

I wonder how many USA basketball vets who were up this year didn't get drafted at all.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 04/29/15 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a bad analysis of McPhee, but my main point is -- at least in the pre-2012 era when I was hyper sensitive to all this stuff -- if you were the pick to click at age 14, you stayed in the USA Basketball pipeline.

It was almost like a pro franchise that likes to stick with familiar faces, rather than trade a questionable veteran for fresh blood. No need to have tryouts because the sultans of C Springs already KNEW who the real players were.

Washington is an interesting state to look at for this as it has been shown to statistically have more women on D1 rosters than participation in high school basketball would predict. Yet the only McDonald's All-America participants from WA have both been 6'3" or taller.

No shooters, drivers, defenders need apply cause USAB has people already assigned to do those sorts of things from the U12 3x3 team on up (yeah, I'm being a little sarcastic there).

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/29/15 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
Not a bad analysis of McPhee, but my main point is -- at least in the pre-2012 era when I was hyper sensitive to all this stuff -- if you were the pick to click at age 14, you stayed in the USA Basketball pipeline.

It was almost like a pro franchise that likes to stick with familiar faces, rather than trade a questionable veteran for fresh blood. No need to have tryouts because the sultans of C Springs already KNEW who the real players were.

Washington is an interesting state to look at for this as it has been shown to statistically have more women on D1 rosters than participation in high school basketball would predict. Yet the only McDonald's All-America participants from WA have both been 6'3" or taller.

No shooters, drivers, defenders need apply cause USAB has people already assigned to do those sorts of things from the U12 3x3 team on up (yeah, I'm being a little sarcastic there).

Interesting ... I wonder how many girls go to the open tryouts? I heard there's like 160 coming this year.

I'm trying to think of other Washington girls I've seen there.

PostPosted: 05/04/15 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone is way too sensitive. USA are not going to pick kids with little IQ and McPhee has shown she struggles with a system and defensive schemes. She may have been an athlete in WA but kids at that level have to understand the game. They cannot keep doing the same thing and expect their opponents not to shut them down.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 05/04/15 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtree, I guess I'm the sensitive one. Why does this board always turn personal so quickly?

Back to my ORIGINAL point. Early this decade, the kids invited to the invite-only tryouts including not a single player from north of Orange County.

This meant the gurus of C Springs evaluation indicated not a single player in the Los Angeles city area, the Inland Empire, Fresno, Sacramento, Portland, Seattle, Spokane, etc., deserved even a look, which is counter-intuitive to say the least!

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/05/15 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I asked about this one time, and I was told the invitation list was compiled by a group of about 20 college coaches, who presumably had been out of the recruiting trail and seen the top players.

The limitations of this led to the new, open tryout, system, which isn't exactly perfect either, but it's a step in the right direction.

PostPosted: 05/05/15 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So there's four players from Georgia. Good test to see if the new UGA coaching staff can solve Landers's "can't keep the talent home" problem.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/05/15 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
Nixtree, I guess I'm the sensitive one. Why does this board always turn personal so quickly?

Back to my ORIGINAL point. Early this decade, the kids invited to the invite-only tryouts including not a single player from north of Orange County.

This meant the gurus of C Springs evaluation indicated not a single player in the Los Angeles city area, the Inland Empire, Fresno, Sacramento, Portland, Seattle, Spokane, etc., deserved even a look, which is counter-intuitive to say the least!

Things change from year to year. I guess all those college coaches must have been real dopes Rolling Eyes some states don't get any from year to year, doesn't mean there is a conspiracy against them. Maybe it just means they don't have players that make the cut, or maybe the odd 1 or 2 just haven't been seen yet.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 05/06/15 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

College coaches ain't perfect but AGAIN, my point is simply that a NATIONAL team that doesn't invite a single person from the second largest city and three other basketball hotbeds to TRY OUT is not doing things right.

If they didn't make the final squad, fine, but you gotta give 'em a look, sorta like the automatic bids to the NCAA tournament. Many from the mid-majors are quick outs, but by including all champions you leave no doubt as to the veracity of the event.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/06/15 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Neither of the top rated players in the 2017 class, Megan Walker and Sydney Cooks, are attending. Very interesting. My understanding is that Walker is heads and shoulders the best in the class.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/06/15 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Neither of the top rated players in the 2017 class, Megan Walker and Sydney Cooks, are attending. Very interesting. My understanding is that Walker is heads and shoulders the best in the class.

Maybe they are injured? Or maybe they are older than the age limit? If they are much older than their peers then it brings into question if they are heads and shoulders the best or if they are just more mature and developed and the younger players will catch up.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 05/07/15 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember there are age limits and some kids fall on the wrong side of them or are hold backs.

It also has nothing to do with where you come from and I disagree with the "hotbed" argument above.

USA is about putting a team together that will play selflessly as a team where each of the parts fit together. Some players may seem all that going one on one in club but have absolutely no idea of how to play the game of basketball in a team setting.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/07/15 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another factor people are missing is not everyone accepts the invitation, and USA Basketball doesn't publish the list of all invites sent out, just those who accepted.

I believe Brittney Griner turned down multiple invites to USA basketball tryouts when she was in high school and at Baylor.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 05/08/15 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

It also has nothing to do with where you come from and I disagree with the "hotbed" argument above.

USA is about putting a team together that will play selflessly as a team where each of the parts fit together. Some players may seem all that going one on one in club but have absolutely no idea of how to play the game of basketball in a team setting.

So, let me get this straight: USA Basketball has scouted all 50 states so well that it not only knows who can play but which players have been selfish on their club teams or "don't know how to play the game of basketball?" And this fits the thousands of players in 90 percent of California, all of Washington and all of Oregon? (or whatever area has been passed over in more recent selections, I only use the 2010 group as an example.)

Somehow I doubt that. Many of the most "efficient" or glue type players who would fit exactly the profile you are talking about NEVER get any sort of All-This or All-That recognition before excelling in college. I would contend that these are the very players who USAB could benefit from taking a look at and "discovering."

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/08/15 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

So, let me get this straight: USA Basketball has scouted all 50 states so well that it not only knows who can play but which players have been selfish on their club teams or "don't know how to play the game of basketball?" And this fits the thousands of players in 90 percent of California, all of Washington and all of Oregon? (or whatever area has been passed over in more recent selections, I only use the 2010 group as an example.)

Somehow I doubt that. Many of the most "efficient" or glue type players who would fit exactly the profile you are talking about NEVER get any sort of All-This or All-That recognition before excelling in college. I would contend that these are the very players who USAB could benefit from taking a look at and "discovering."

The reality is that about seven or eight players are locks to make the team going in, and that there are probably 100 or more who could fill the last four spots for one reason or another (one's a shooter, another's a defender, etc.).

And USA Basketball doesn't claim to know everyone ... no one does, and there's no way to do it. So they went to open tryouts, which means that the rich have an advantage, but it's better than the previous system.

PostPosted: 05/08/15 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

I have a serious question, do you know how many people, if any have turned down invites and what states or areas do those people come from? It has been published people turn down invites all the time, USA Basketball doesn't public everyone they invite, just those that accept, and it only gets out that a person has turned down an invite when that person or a representative of that person comes out and says so and so turned down an invite for this reason or that reason. I don't know who, if anyone has turned down an invite, but I don't see it out of the realm of possibility that a lot of people would for personal reason as it is done all the time at every level.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: