RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G off season newz
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/20/15 11:02 am    ::: B1G off season newz Reply Reply with quote

Gophers sign two JUCOs.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041615aaa.html

6-1 Kynadi Johnson and 6-3 Karley Barnes will help offset the loss of Shay Kelley and Amanda Zuhai B. and the most prolific post game in the B1G in 2015.

Gophers also signed former Marquette G Kenisha Bell, averaged 14.5 ppg during her frosh year. Bell will sit out next season.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/20/15 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Entering Michigan will be point guard Lauren "Boogie" Brozoski, who led Long Island Lutheran High School to the New York State Federation Championship, averaging 18.2 ppg and 7.0 apg. Brozoski was named the Gatorade Player for New York, Miss New York Basketball by the New York State coaches, and third team All-America by USA Today.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/21/15 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan has two state GPOY in 5'5" Brozoski and 6'5" Hallie Thome of Chagrin Falls, Ohio. They represent the shortest and tallest of KBA's 2015 class.

http://www.chagrinvalleytoday.com/gallery/featured/collection_ba3e4b20-18c0-11e4-85ed-0017a43b2370.html

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/21/15 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thome has a twin sister? That's a guard, are they going to the same school ?
mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/22/15 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

Her twin is signed with Ohio U.

Michigan will have two players with twin sisters playing a different schools. Danielle Williams' sister, Dominique, is at UCLA.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/23/15 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

Her twin is signed with Ohio U.

Michigan will have two players with twin sisters playing a different schools. Danielle Williams' sister, Dominique, is at UCLA.

Tennessee used to have that situation; Nia Moore's twin sister Annaya originally signed with UAB, but health problems derailed her career and she is now a student assistant with the UT program.

PostPosted: 04/28/15 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/women/badgers-women-s-basketball-bobbie-kelsey-says-we-re-still/article_d1cc0f51-6fa6-590d-944e-490d9d93316b.html

Bobbi Kelsey acknowledging that change is slow to come, that she does indeed recruit Wisconsin, and that pressure is on.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/28/15 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/women/badgers-women-s-basketball-bobbie-kelsey-says-we-re-still/article_d1cc0f51-6fa6-590d-944e-490d9d93316b.html

Bobbi Kelsey acknowledging that change is slow to come, that she does indeed recruit Wisconsin, and that pressure is on.

Doesn't this line pretty much explain the outcome?

"Kelsey also is counting on Cayla McMorris, her most highly acclaimed recruit, to make a big step up after a bumpy freshman season"

When your best recruit in four years is a number 84 ranked 2 guard, how do you expect to compete with Maryland, Rutgers, MSU, Mich, OhSt, PSU, Northwestern, Nebraska, Purdue, etc.?

The likelihood of finishing in the top 10 in the league seems remote.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/29/15 6:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kim Barnes Arico will be an assistant to Dawn Staley with USA Basketball again this summer.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/042215aaa.html

bucks4now

PostPosted: 04/29/15 7:46 am    ::: OSU summer trip Reply Reply with quote

From the Dispatch...

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/04/28/ohio-state-womens-basketball-trip.html

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/08/15 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wisconsin Badger forward Michaela Johnson who was chosen 28th in the W NBA draft by the New York liberty has been granted a 6th year of NCAA eligibility and will return to Madison Wisconsin next season.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/17/15 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big 10 coaches want to play 16 league games like the SEC and ACC but they are now playing 18 games as of last year, like the Big 12 and Pac-12. They don't list the Big 12 and Pac-12 schedule formats but the article states that the women play 18 games within 64 days whereas the men get 69 days which leads to the women not getting a bye week. In recent years I think have seen some men's leagues play an early conference game during the non-conference schedule just so the conference play isn't so packed with games. Maybe that is a better alternative than playing on Christmas.

http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/football/2015/05/17/big-ten-womens-coaches-prefer-reducing-schedule/27487137/

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/20/15 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State signs another post player. Nathanelle Dambo out of Northern California will join the Spartans next fall. She's one of seven incoming freshmen for Suzy Merchant, Four of which are post players.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/21/15 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, Dambo is from Southern California ... which would explain why I've never heard of her.

The reason could be be that Serra High School (alma mater of Tom Brady and Barry Bonds) is near San Francisco, but JSerra (or Junipero Serra, named for the "saint" who helped forcibly convert native Americans and then made them slaves at missions) is in Southern California.

PostPosted: 05/28/15 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jenny DeGraaf and Alex Harris both have transferred out of Penn State. I think that their departures will be for the overall good of the team. Harris couldn't keep her grades up and spent roughly the first half of this past season in street clothes unable to play. DeGraaf who was only a 3 star out of high school, was slow and not a good defender. This will free up a couple of scholarships for Coquese Washington and I expect her to bring in at least one of the higher profile transfers. Rumor has had it for over 4 months now that Sierra Calhoun will be transferring to a B1G 10 school and it could be Penn State.

Calhoun played for Christ The King School in New York, the same high school that former Lady Lion Ariel Edwards attended and also current Lady Lion Sierra Moore actually did transfer from Duke to Penn State 2 years ago. While I would rate coach Washington as only a decent recruiter.....she has shown an ability to bring in quality transfers, such as Dara Taylor who transferred from Maryland to Penn State, Sierra Moore from Due and most recently Brianna Banks from UCONN. Anyhow, IMHO I do believe that coach W was highly in favor of both DeGraaf and Harris leaving the program. If she can't bring in a quality transfer, Penn State will enter the 2015-16 season with just 12 players on their roster and 4 of those will be true freshman.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 05/28/15 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jenny DeGraaf and Alex Harris both have transferred out of Penn State. I think that their departures will be for the overall good of the team. Harris couldn't keep her grades up and spent roughly the first half of this past season in street clothes unable to play. DeGraaf who was only a 3 star out of high school, was slow and not a good defender. This will free up a couple of scholarships for Coquese Washington and I expect her to bring in at least one of the higher profile transfers. Rumor has had it for over 4 months now that Sierra Calhoun will be transferring to a B1G 10 school and it could be Penn State.

Calhoun played for Christ The King School in New York, the same high school that former Lady Lion Ariel Edwards attended and also current Lady Lion Sierra Moore actually did transfer from Duke to Penn State 2 years ago. While I would rate coach Washington as only a decent recruiter.....she has shown an ability to bring in quality transfers, such as Dara Taylor who transferred from Maryland to Penn State, Sierra Moore from Due and most recently Brianna Banks from UCONN. Anyhow, IMHO I do believe that coach W was highly in favor of both DeGraaf and Harris leaving the program. If she can't bring in a quality transfer, Penn State will enter the 2015-16 season with just 12 players on their roster and 4 of those will be true freshman.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 05/28/15 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/28/15 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CoWa's Incoming freshmen along with transfers Moore and Banks will be the best players on the team next year

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 05/28/15 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 05/28/15 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I apologize for the extra posts...wasn't sure if it went through or not.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 05/28/15 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
CoWa's Incoming freshmen along with transfers Moore and Banks will be the best players on the team next year

I agree to a degree. Brianna Banks and Sierra Moore will be the top 2 players on the team. But CW has invested a lot of time on 6-6 senior Candace Agee who started as a junior last year and she will start again this season. Also, Kaliyah Mitchell, Peyton Whitted and Lindsey Spann all started at times last season, Mitchell and Whitted as sophs, Spann as a RS freshman.

While both 5-9 Amari Carter and 5-7 Teniya Page are gifted guards they still will be true freshman...not sure if they can just step into DI - B1G play and contribute right away. IMHO, post players Jaylen Williams & Ashanti Thomas are a few years away from starting.

My starting 5 to start the season:

1. Lindsey Spann
2. Brianna Banks
3. Sierra Moore
4. Kaliyah Mitchell
5. Candace Agee

With Whitted, Sevillian and Carter the first off the bench.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/28/15 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyLionsFan wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

I agree to a degree. Brianna Banks and Sierra Moore will be the top 2 players on the team. But CW has invested a lot of time on 6-6 senior Candace Agee who started as a junior last year and she will start again this season. Also, Kaliyah Mitchell, Peyton Whitted and Lindsey Spann all started at times last season, Mitchell and Whitted as sophs, Spann as a RS freshman.

While both 5-9 Amari Carter and 5-7 Teniya Page are gifted guards they still will be true freshman...not sure if they can just step into DI - B1G play and contribute right away. IMHO, post players Jaylen Williams & Ashanti Thomas are a few years away from starting.

My starting 5 to start the season:

1. Lindsey Spann
2. Brianna Banks
3. Sierra Moore
4. Kaliyah Mitchell
5. Candace Agee

With Whitted, Sevillian and Carter the first off the bench.

Regarding Carter, realize that her predecessor at St Johns College HS, Lindsay Allen, started from day 1 as a freshman pg for Coach Washington's mentor, Muffett McGraw, so I wouldn't be so quick to write her off as a possibility for this year's starting pg. I think she arrives well prepared.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/28/15 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harris is transferring to Dayton.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 05/28/15 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't "write her off".....I said that she is a "quality" guard, a 5 star in fact and ESPNW has her rated # 32 in the country last time I checked. So yes, a possibility of starting, but I still think she comes off the bench. I listed her as one of the first players off the bench so I expect her to get some quality minutes.

Also, notice that I said "to start the season." I expect if Spann continues to struggle with turnovers as she did mightily last season then yes, I could see Carter taking the starting job from her. I do feel that right now anyhow, that Carter brings more to the table than fellow freshman Teniya Page.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/28/15 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Michigan State signs another post player. Nathanelle Dambo out of Northern California will join the Spartans next fall. She's one of seven incoming freshmen for Suzy Merchant, Four of which are post players.

I certainly hope MI-State has gotten rid of all their nasty, snake-bit luck with injuries and is ready to make some real noise this season.

ClayK wrote:
....but JSerra (or Junipero Serra, named for the "saint" who helped forcibly convert native Americans and then made them slaves at missions) is in Southern California.

Shocked Yet another Good Christian, just doing his job! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: