RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G off season newz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/14/15 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To tag onto what Queenie said, there are more than just W-L records at this stage of her tenure. Kim Barnes Arico engages with the community, she is boosting recruiting (two top-25 classes in a row), she's raising attendance and she's very much a part of the Michigan family. The massive improvements that were made with Borseth's recruits - especially Jenny Ryan, Kate Thompson and Cyesha Goree - shows me she knows how to develop talent.

I can't say many of those things happened under Kevin Borseth, who frankly rubbed many of us at Michigan the wrong way. Whether it be his notorious post-game press conference outburst, not wanting a booster organization and rarely ever doing outreach events - he wasn't a good fit. As he told one of his staff after his last post-season meeting with Dave Brandon, "I quit before he had a chance to fire me."

I've been going to Michigan games for 23 years now, going back to the Trish Roberts era. I'm happy to see Michigan finally get some stability with a coach who wants to stay, and an A.D. who wants to invest in her staying.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/14/15 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Media all-conference

B. Jones, Maryland
S. Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland
T. Jankoska, Michigan State
A. Powers, Michigan State
A. Alston, Ohio State
K. Mitchell, Ohio State
R. Banham, Minnesota
K. Copper, Rutgers
N. Coffey, Northwestern
R. Theriot, Nebraska

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/14/15 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coaches all-conference

B. Jones, Maryland
S. Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland
A. Disterhoft, Iowa
A. Powers, Michigan State
A. Alston, Ohio State
K. Mitchell, Ohio State
R. Banham, Minnesota
K. Copper, Rutgers
N. Coffey, Northwestern
R. Theriot, Nebraska

K. Smith POY

Last edited by NoDakSt on 10/14/15 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/14/15 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I would have had Alexa Hart on their somewhere.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/14/15 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Media team poll:

1. Maryland
2. Ohio State
3 Northwestern

Coaches Poll:
1. Maryland
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan State

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/14/15 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I think I would have had Alexa Hart on their somewhere.

She could be. She looked solid last season. Outside of Jones for Maryland, I don't see many F/C greats in the BIG. Coffey and Powers are more wing forwards. Hart looks strong and can run the floor well and in conjunction with Shayla Cooper, gives tOSU a great low
post look.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/15/15 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

B1G Media Day transcripts:

http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/101415aac.html

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/15/15 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
B1G Media Day transcripts:

http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/101415aac.html

I think you can watch all the coaches' presentations here:

http://btn.com/2015/10/15/watch-all-of-the-big-ten-womens-coaches-speak-at-media-day/

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/15/15 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched Bollant and got the feeling he felt lucky just to be there. Everything was about how he loves to be in the gym with these kids, can't wait to be back to practice, etc. etc. I can't tell if those feelings are genuine or if he's just saying that because he dodged a bullet for the time being.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/15/15 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few comments:

Shepard is not fully recovered yet from her ACL injury for Nebraska. That's unfortunate. Yori also jokes about offering Shepard when she was in 8th grade.

McGuff actually talks some substantive basketball. Interesting segment. Better than the usual. Refreshing.

Evidently Lexi Brown is a non-person. Frese talks about being led last year by All Big Ten honorees Walker-Kimbrough and Jones. Nary a mention of Brown (who was also all B10 1st team) or the impact of her departure.

If I was a Purdue fan, Versyp's presentation wouldn't give me a particularly warm feeling.

Washington obviously knows last year was a mess, I get the sense she's not entirely sure what she's got this year.

Moren's opening statement is a remarkable string of every cliche imaginable combined into one remarkable run-on sentence. It's a work of art. The cliches continue in the answers to questions. But other than wanting to play at a faster pace and Tyra Buss moving to pg you won't learn much about the plans for the season.

Stollings says Banham is in the best physical shape ever. Says they'll be far more guard dominated and will play a lot of 4 guards..

Kelsey seemed rather defensive, opening up by blaming last year on injuries. She actually said "Our goal is just to stay healthy" and that the "main focus" is "keeping the kids on the court." Which seems like a rather strange outlook. She also said she "doesn't need any more assistant coaches " and that players, parents staff all need to "stay in their lane" and do their own job. Overall a rather strange presentation.

C Viv has been doing this a long time. About what you would expect. The best question was one about whether she was changing anything in order to score more 3 pt shots. Other than saying she knows they need to shoot more threes and are practicing them, there wasn't much of an answer, which concluded with a comment about playing defense. She actually returns to that later and says everyone knows they haven't been a 3 pt shooting team, and hopes to incorporate more this year.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 10/15/15 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 10/15/15 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chatrice White from Illinois is a fantastic player and a big time F

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/15/15 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Evidently Lexi Brown is a non-person. Frese talks about being led last year by All Big Ten honorees Walker-Kimbrough and Jones. Nary a mention of Brown (who was also all B10 1st team) or the impact of her departure.

Apparently getting to the Final Four gives her a free pass in talking about offseason "woes" and defections. Stollings was asked about Zahui B and both Bollant and the Indiana Coach were asked about last seasons tumultuous episodes.

MCKewon talked about managing expectations (media had them 3rd) but I don't get the feel coaches in the B1G are that worried about his team. He certainly didn't elaborate on style of play.

Suzy talked about how the new rules of advancing the ball would impact her defensive strategies. She bemoans the fact of not being able to press full court in late game situations and talked about how they'll need to work on half court sideline traps.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/16/15 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
A few comments:

If I was a Purdue fan, Versyp's presentation wouldn't give me a particularly warm feeling.

I think that's been a continuing criticism from the Purdue fans.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: