RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

One lesson from yesterday's draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/15 7:35 am    ::: One lesson from yesterday's draft Reply Reply with quote

Next time anyone here complains about unfair or "unjust" restrictions on athletes' choices and opportunities, they need to start with WBB. No pro league, not even the NFL, is as restrictive as the WNBA in allowing players to start getting paid. And any system in which one college junior or sophomore can turn pro while other players are forced to wait until graduation is indefensibly arbitrary.

Want to talk about sexism? Why are women in the NBA-controlled WNBA denied the opportunity granted to the men in the NBA to make a living playing basketball?

hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/17/15 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reasoning comes in part from the fact that, especially when the league started, salaries weren't considered worthy of throwing away a potential degree over.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/15 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
The reasoning comes in part from the fact that, especially when the league started, salaries weren't considered worthy of throwing away a potential degree over.

They should let the player make that determination rather than the league making it for them.

PostPosted: 04/17/15 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

They should let the player make that determination rather than the league making it for them.

No argument here. Just pointing it out. And for what its worth, I think the league will have to deal with this issue relatively soon. Maybe not the next CBA but definitely the one after.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/15 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
pilight wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

No argument here. Just pointing it out. And for what its worth, I think the league will have to deal with this issue relatively soon. Maybe not the next CBA but definitely the one after.

Baloney. You're not going to convince me this was done out of a benevolent concern for the value of education. It was done to protect the jobs of veterans.

And in any event the reasons don't change the reality that the WNBA has the most restrictive rules nor do they justify those rules.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/15 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
pilight wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

Why? The league and the union are both perfectly happy with the current situation. The under-22 players have no say in the matter, which is why they're the ones who get exploited.

PostPosted: 04/17/15 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
pilight wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

Why? The league and the union are both perfectly happy with the current situation. The under-22 players have no say in the matter, which is why they're the ones who get exploited.

Correct. The league forces colleges to serve as their farm system whether they like it or not, the union protects vets who would lose ther jobs if forced to compete against more talented rookies. Neither the colleges nor the college players have any say in the matter.

Heck the NBA/NBAPA are discussing making their rule more, not less, restrictive in their next agreement, for the same reasons.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/15 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have three reactions to this situation.

1. As a fan of WCBB, I personally would not like to see WCBB become anything remotely like the "none/one/two-and-done" of MCBB.

2. The WNBA Collective Bargaining Agreement, which contains the restrictions on eligibility, has always seemed to be vulnerable as a facial violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act, which declares illegal "every contract, combination . . . and conspiracy . . . in restraint of trade or commerce". The CBA is a contract between the league and the players already in the league to restrain players under age 22 from entering into the trade or commerce of the league.

3. Even if the CBA restraints were entirely struck down as illegal, or voluntarily dropped from the next CBA, I doubt the amount of money and roster spots available in the WNBA would entice very many college age players to jump, other than a small handful of elite players.

However, since there is never anything more than a handful of elite women's players in each U.S. age group, I'd be very disappointed to lose the opportunity to see them play in college competition. That's the sport that interests me as a basketball fan, not the (insipid to me) WNBA. Thus my personal psyche comes full circle to Reaction #1, and hopes the CBA restrictions aren't legally challenged or changed.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/15 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I have three reactions to this situation.

1. As a fan of WCBB, I personally would not like to see WCBB become anything remotely like the "none/one/two-and-done" of MCBB.

2. The WNBA Collective Bargaining Agreement, which contains the restrictions on eligibility, has always seemed to be vulnerable as a facial violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act, which declares illegal "every contract, combination . . . and conspiracy . . . in restraint of trade or commerce". The CBA is a contract between the league and the players already in the league to restrain players under age 22 from entering into the trade or commerce of the league.

3. Even if the CBA restraints were entirely struck down as illegal, or voluntarily dropped from the next CBA, I doubt the amount of money and roster spots available in the WNBA would entice very many college age players to jump, other than a small handful of elite players.

However, since there is never anything more than a handful of elite women's players in each U.S. age group, I'd be very disappointed to lose the opportunity to see them play in college competition. That's the sport that interests me as a basketball fan, not the (insipid to me) WNBA. Thus my personal psyche comes full circle to Reaction #1, and hopes the CBA restrictions aren't legally challenged or changed.

Collective bargaining agreements are always a restraint of trade but are exempt from the antitrust laws. So no, they aren't going to get struck down. Section 6 of the Clayton Act provides:

"The labor of a human being is not a commodity or article of commerce. Nothing contained in the antitrust laws shall be construed to forbid the existence and operation of labor, agricultural, or horticultural organizations, instituted for the purposes of mutual help, and not having capital stock or conducted for profit, or to forbid or restrain individual members of such organizations from lawfully carrying out the legitimate objects thereof; nor shall such organizations, or the members thereof, be held or construed to be illegal combinations or conspiracies in restraint of trade, under the antitrust laws."

And personally I don't find my viewing enjoyment of college basketball to remotely justify denying players the opportunity to choose to go pro whenever they want to.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/15 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the long run a strong pro league will deepen the talent pool, just as it has on the men's side.

PostPosted: 04/17/15 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never looked at the intersection of antitrust and labor law. A brief look shows an immediate and obvious collision of policy interests, which the courts have long recognized.

I don't think the Clayton Act statutory exemption would apply to the WNBA CBA. I think what would apply is a so-called "non-statutory exemption" of collective bargaining agreements from the antitrust laws, which federal District and Circuit Courts have crafted and applied in a somewhat inconsistent manner over the years. In 2004, the Second Circuit (including Sotomayor) rejected an antitrust attack on the NFL's post-high school eligibility restrictions in a case called Clarett, although the District Court had held the restrictions to be "blatantly anticompetitive". The Second Circuit rejected the "non-statutory exemption" analysis of the Eighth Circuit. Clarett has been criticized in the literature, but I don't have the tools or interest to look at it's future history.

I vividly recall Dean Sacks of Harvard reciting what he called the "two worst decisions in all of Supreme Court history": the Federal Baseball Club case in 1922 and the Flood case in 1972. The first case held that major league baseball was exempt from federal antitrust laws because baseball was not an activity involved in "interstate commerce". In the Curt Flood case 50 years later, attacking the reserve clause, the Supreme Court acknowledged the vastly changed interstate commercial landscape of major league baseball, but ruled against Flood on the ground of stare decisis, which was wooden legal respect for the by-then obviously wrongly-decided and ancient precedent of Federal Baseball Club.

I'd like to see the Clarett case re-litigated in a different Circuit, if it hasn't already, with some additional facts and some additional claims involving age and sex discrimination thrown into the confused "non-statutory exemption" pot.

As Robert Bork's book presciently observed in 1978, antitrust law has historically been "a policy at war with itself", and when professional sports has been involved, the fog of war seems to have become almost impenetrable.
IM in OC

PostPosted: 04/17/15 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
In the long run a strong pro league will deepen the talent pool, just as it has on the men's side.

I am not so sure that is the case on the mens side. There are 3 teams in the NBA playoffs that do not have winning records. Perhaps a lot of inexperienced players are making good, no Great, money?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/15 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
pilight wrote:

I am not so sure that is the case on the mens side. There are 3 teams in the NBA playoffs that do not have winning records. Perhaps a lot of inexperienced players are making good, no Great, money?

The talent pool is a lot deeper than it was before the NBA existed. The 1945-46 Oklahoma A&M team that won the NCAA tournament would be lucky to win ten games in a season today.

PostPosted: 04/17/15 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
pilight wrote:

Depends how you define it. League minimum is $507,000. Minimum for a ten year vet is $1.5 million. The last pick in the 1st round this year will get a 3yr contract worth around $1million/yr.

And there are usually teams with losing records in the playoffs. A natural result of having over half the teams make the playoffs and the competitive imbalance that currently exists between the East and West. (The Thunder were 8 games over .500 but missed the playoffs. They would have finished 6th in the East with that record.)

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/17/15 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a long history (mostly outside sports) of bargained-for restrictions on who can be hired in collective bargaining agreements, and I don't think that the courts have ever had much trouble with them so long as they don't permanently keep people out. There certainly hasn't been an example of a bargained-for age restriction being thrown out in the context of a sports league.

And, as others have said, this is not really a WNBA issue so much as a combination of the WNBA and the union. I don't know, in fact, if the WNBA wanted the restrictions or the union did (or both).

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/15 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
There is a long history (mostly outside sports) of bargained-for restrictions on who can be hired in collective bargaining agreements, and I don't think that the courts have ever had much trouble with them so long as they don't permanently keep people out. There certainly hasn't been an example of a bargained-for age restriction being thrown out in the context of a sports league.

And, as others have said, this is not really a WNBA issue so much as a combination of the WNBA and the union. I don't know, in fact, if the WNBA wanted the restrictions or the union did (or both).

There's actually a history in various contexts of management imposed restrictions being struck down only to be reinstated through collective bargaining. Which leads to a lot of interesting litigation and tests as to the status of the restrictions when the CBA expires and no knew agreement has yet been signed.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/17/15 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
pilight wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

Because I think in the long run, (if the league continues to progress and more money is available straight out of college) more underclassmen and their families will want the opportunity earlier like their male counterparts. I am taking Laurel at her word that they have good growth potential and profitability will continue to grow.
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/17/15 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
pilight wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
pilight wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

Because I think in the long run, (if the league continues to progress and more money is available straight out of college) more underclassmen and their families will want the opportunity earlier like their male counterparts. I am taking Laurel at her word that they have good growth potential and profitability will continue to grow.

But the underclassmen and their families that want more money have no say in what the WNBA CBA agreement is, so I'm not seeing how the wants of those people will make a difference when the two groups that are making the agreement are happy with how it currently stands. I think the only way it will change is if another league is created that allows players to join at a younger age or top young players leave college early to play overseas and don't bother playing in the WNBA until the rule is changed.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/17/15 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

But the underclassmen and their families that want more money have no say in what the WNBA CBA agreement is, so I'm not seeing how the wants of those people will make a difference when the two groups that are making the agreement are happy with how it currently stands. I think the only way it will change is if another league is created that allows players to join at a younger age or top young players leave college early to play overseas and don't bother playing in the WNBA until the rule is changed.

Those players & their families may not have a voice at the bargaining table but there are other ways of being heard a la Spencer Haywood.
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/17/15 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Those players & their families may not have a voice at the bargaining table but there are other ways of being heard a la Spencer Haywood.

I have no idea would that means, could you elaborate on who Spencer Haywood is or what he did.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/17/15 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

I have no idea would that means, could you elaborate on who Spencer Haywood is or what he did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haywood_v._National_Basketball_Ass'n

I don't know why it won't doe the whole thing from here but you may have to put the "apostrophe n" at the end to make it go.
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/18/15 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haywood_v._National_Basketball_Ass'n

I don't know why it won't doe the whole thing from here but you may have to put the "apostrophe n" at the end to make it go.

If I am understanding the ruling correctly and the law the fact that he had a contract with an NBA team and was already a professional basketball player made a difference. I'm not sure a person who doesn't have a contract with a WNBA team would have any type of legal case. In the example I gave earlier, if top young players boycotted the WNBA because they weren't eligible to enter I think that would cause the WNBA to reconsider their rules.

But that is any interesting situation, I didn't know about him or his case before hand, thanks for posting the information about him.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/18/15 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No sports league wants the legality of drafts questioned in court. They may be legal but they don't pass the smell test.

PostPosted: 05/10/15 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally I am glad the restriction, women get so much physically stronger and play so smarter after college!! They may be great vs. the college competition, but not all do as well at the next level...this is true for men as well as women, but I want to keep the women's game intact.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: