RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why Loyd leaving early is a good thing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/20/15 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
an athlete makes a committment when he or she signs to play to a school, and they owe that school all four years. As much time and money a school invests, the athlete owes the school this.

So what about coaches, administrators and faculty members? If they leave, aren't they doing the same thing?

Are you suggesting that all adults (and players are adults) should be prohibited from leaving their jobs at a college before their contract runs out? (Six months into the school year, an assistant coach on an at-will contract gets offered a job in private industry with triple the salary. Sorry, can't leave?)

And as pilight mentioned, Loyd had a one-year contract, which she honored in full ...

PostPosted: 04/20/15 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
I just do not like seeing immature players going into the draft.

Seriously, where do you come off calling her "immature"? She's going to be 22 years old this year. You're way out of line.

BallState1984 wrote:

Second, and I am, but not really surprised, considering the mindset of too many people here, an athlete makes a committment when he or she signs to play to a school, and they owe that school all four years. As much time and money a school invests, the athlete owes the school this.

No they don't. Any student - athlete or not, scholarship or not - can leave any school any time they want.

Indeed, the terms of the National Letter of Intent that Loyd signed when she committed provided right on its face in clear terms in Section 3:

"3. Provisions of Letter Satisfied.
a. One-Year Attendance Requirement. The terms of this NLI shall be satisfied if I attend the institution named in this document for one
academic year (two semesters or three quarters) as a full-time student
"

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/20/15 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Very off-topic but related to alumni not getting support from their alma mater staff I give you Nikki Moody and Iowa State.

http://m.amestrib.com/sports/women-s-basketball-back-home-texas-moody-prepares-wnba-draft

I didn't have anything nice to say about Bill Fennelly before reading this story, and I certainly don't now.

Wow, he certainly does come off as a sack of shit there, doesn't he? Then again, I suppose Nikki Moody never did fit what Fennelly's vision of his team would look like.

Topically, I would have been less sanguine about Loyd's decision if she hadn't made it abundantly clear that she was going to finish her degree.

(now with spelling variations)
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/20/15 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Very off-topic but related to alumni not getting support from their alma mater staff I give you Nikki Moody and Iowa State.

http://m.amestrib.com/sports/women-s-basketball-back-home-texas-moody-prepares-wnba-draft

I didn't have anything nice to say about Bill Fennelly before reading this story, and I certainly don't now.

Wow, he certainly does come off as a sack of shit there, doesn't he? Then again, I suppose Nikki Moody never did fit what Fennelly's vision of his team would look like.

Topically, I would have been less sanguine about Loyd's decision if she hadn't made it abundantly clear that she was going to finish her degree.

I see what you did there ... Twisted Evil

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/20/15 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Huh? What's negative toward Fenelly in that article? It doesn't give any idea why the two of them didn't get along, but he's generally positive in his one comment.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/20/15 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't seen any quotes from Loyd saying she was going to stay at ND.... just interpretations from ND's side.

If Loyd did say she was staying right before the Tourney started, does that mean she is obligated not to change her mind, like it was some verbal enforcable contract? Get real.

If she had every intention to declare but said she was staying because somebody pressed her on the issue (why else would the subject come up), why is it seen as "lying" or a negative when Loyd most likely didn't want it to be a distraction. Loyd would have been blamed for the championship loss had she declared ahead of time. Now she can't be blamed. Maybe ND wouldn't have done as well as they did if she had declared ahead. There are valid reasons not to declare ahead of the Tourny, so let's not peg Loyd as a blatant liar.

Stop judging Jewell.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/20/15 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I haven't seen any quotes from Loyd saying she was going to stay at ND.... just interpretations from ND's side.

If Loyd did say she was staying right before the Tourney started, does that mean she is obligated not to change her mind, like it was some verbal enforcable contract? Get real.

If she had every intention to declare but said she was staying because somebody pressed her on the issue (why else would the subject come up), why is it seen as "lying" or a negative when Loyd most likely didn't want it to be a distraction. Loyd would have been blamed for the championship loss had she declared ahead of time. Now she can't be blamed. Maybe ND wouldn't have done as well as they did if she had declared ahead. There are valid reasons not to declare ahead of the Tourny, so let's not peg Loyd as a blatant liar.

Stop judging Jewell.

So you think then that McGraw is lying? Because according to ESPN back on April 4:

"Irish coach Muffet McGraw said that Loyd initiated a meeting with her a few weeks ago to talk about her future. McGraw said that Loyd acknowledged her WNBA eligibility and assured McGraw she would be returning."

In numerous interviews, Jewell has never contradicted that or denied that's what she told McGraw.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/21/15 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/take_two/take-two-what-s-good-for-the-gander-should-be/article_0819d6cc-0c8c-5af1-a9c0-5124e2843bbf.html

Quote:
Thats not NBA money, but staying in college another year wouldnt change Loyds payday. It would simply delay it. In fact, had Loyd played her senior season, she probably would not have been the No. 1 pick in the 2016 WNBA draft, with Connecticuts Breanna Stewart in line to be the top pick next year.

PostPosted: 04/21/15 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:
And no, Geno was not there.

Really! I wonder why not. Wasn't the draft in Connecticut and hasn't he attended prior drafts?

Perhaps we should more generally ask whether any of the coaches for any of the 12 invited players were there. (I didn't watch the draft.)

As per his daughter, Geno took his wife off to Napa, and she trumps anything and everything.

I saw Bruno, Staley, and Warlick. I heard that Gottlieb was also there. I think I might have seen Hoover, but at this point, we're getting to "how well can Queenie recognize the back of a person's head with mediocre lighting?" levels of crowd-watching.

Yes Hoover was there. Tenn. and Cal had the most impressive "group" of coaches, not just the head coach, but a gaggle of assistants.

Pam Borton recruited Zahui, and was there for her.

While Geno was not there, Marissa Moseley and the team were there in lieu of as well.

It just didn't feel right that the #1 pick didn't even have assistant/position coaches. Don't know if it bothered or didn't bother Loyd, but it just felt funny to not have one there. That said, I have no reason to question ND's explanation of all the coaches having plans already set.

Does anyone know if any were at the Jordan Classic the next day? Then you can say hmmmmm......

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/21/15 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Queenie wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Really! I wonder why not. Wasn't the draft in Connecticut and hasn't he attended prior drafts?

Perhaps we should more generally ask whether any of the coaches for any of the 12 invited players were there. (I didn't watch the draft.)

As per his daughter, Geno took his wife off to Napa, and she trumps anything and everything.

I saw Bruno, Staley, and Warlick. I heard that Gottlieb was also there. I think I might have seen Hoover, but at this point, we're getting to "how well can Queenie recognize the back of a person's head with mediocre lighting?" levels of crowd-watching.

Yes Hoover was there. Tenn. and Cal had the most impressive "group" of coaches, not just the head coach, but a gaggle of assistants.

While Geno was not there, Marissa Moseley and the team were there in lieu of as well.

It just didn't feel right that the #1 pick didn't even have assistant/position coaches. Don't know if it bothered or didn't bother Loyd, but it just felt funny to not have one there. That said, I have no reason to question ND's explanation of all the coaches having plans already set.

Does anyone know if any were at the Jordan Classic the next day? Then you can say hmmmmm......

South bend is more than an hour away from Mohegan Sun or Brooklyn. A whole bunch of ND players were at the McDonalds All Star game in Chicago. They even interviewed some of them.

One coach had no reason to think she needed to reserve that date because there was no reason to think until a week beforehand that a player would be at the draft. Another coach knew for months that he would have player at the draft but chose to go on vacation with his wife on those exact days - not the week before or two days or two weeks later. I don't see how the former says anything about that coach's priorities because she didn't know she was choosing one thing over the other. The other plainly didn't view it as particularly important.

Oh, but he sent flowers so that's ok.`

linkster

PostPosted: 04/21/15 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
One coach had no reason to think she needed to reserve that date because there was no reason to think until a week beforehand that a player would be at the draft. Another coach knew for months that he would have player at the draft but chose to go on vacation with his wife on those exact days - not the week before or two days or two weeks later.`

And one coach donates his time and skills to USA basketball and has obligations to that coming up soon, while the other coach selfishly refuses to share her abilities and has extensive time to take her vacation whenever she wishes.

Things can be spun in many directions. Very Happy

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/21/15 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
One coach had no reason to think she needed to reserve that date because there was no reason to think until a week beforehand that a player would be at the draft. Another coach knew for months that he would have player at the draft but chose to go on vacation with his wife on those exact days - not the week before or two days or two weeks later.`

And one coach donates his time and skills to USA basketball and has obligations to that coming up soon, while the other coach selfishly refuses to share her abilities and has extensive time to take her vacation whenever she wishes.

Yeah, and one makes sense, and the other is the usual UConn circle-the-wagons-and-defend-Geno-to-the-death fantasy.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/21/15 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Queenie wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:

South bend is more than an hour away from Mohegan Sun or Brooklyn. A whole bunch of ND players were at the McDonalds All Star game in Chicago. They even interviewed some of them.

One coach had no reason to think she needed to reserve that date because there was no reason to think until a week beforehand that a player would be at the draft. Another coach knew for months that he would have player at the draft but chose to go on vacation with his wife on those exact days - not the week before or two days or two weeks later. I don't see how the former says anything about that coach's priorities because she didn't know she was choosing one thing over the other. The other plainly didn't view it as particularly important.

Oh, but he sent flowers so that's ok.`

WTF, Art, I can't even say I had no reason to doubt the ND coaches, but it was awkward to the press without you having a Geno hissy fit.

I never said they did anything wrong, and I don't really care that Geno sent flowers. It seems you don't want to give any credence to what someone pointed out about Geno going back to work with USA Basketball next month.

It seems nice to the kids when their coaches, teammates etc are there.

I never said ND was the devil or anything else bad about them.

I did add the caveat that if they were in NY the next day, then you could say, why didn't they take the two hour drive the night before. I have no idea if they were there.

Take it easy, sometimes you get so worked up over nothing.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/21/15 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

I never said they did anything wrong, and I don't really care that Geno sent flowers. It seems you don't want to give any credence to what someone pointed out about Geno going back to work with USA Basketball next month.

"What someone said"? You mean what Linkster concocted? That's what you're relying on? Come on. Get serious. You're right. I give it no credence.

Or maybe one of you can identify what USA Basketball team Geno is coaching this year and when trials for that team begin.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/21/15 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

"What someone said"? You mean what Linkster concocted? That's what you're relying on? Come on. Get serious. You're right. I give it no credence.

Or maybe one of you can identify what USA Basketball team Geno is coaching this year and when trials for that team begin.

First, just to put that to bed, are you unaware of training camp in Las Vegas in May? I'm sure you are aware of it. I believe he will be there coaching the senior women's national team candidates.

But I note that you skipped right past what is really the point, and truly relevant, that I pointed out above, that you jumped on what I said incorrectly and unfairly assuming I was criticizing ND for not going. Which is totally not correct. I said it seemed awkward to have Loyd with no coaches. Period. I even said I have no reason to doubt ND's coaches reasons for not attending.

You can be extremely contrary, man. You owe me an apology for assuming I was criticizing Notre Dame. Admit it, come on, you know you want to.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/21/15 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Yeah, and one makes sense, and the other is the usual UConn circle-the-wagons-and-defend-Geno-to-the-death fantasy.

All I was doing was pointing out that things can be spun in several ways. And if UConn fans defend their coach is that any different from what you do with respect to the Irish?
I'd say that the two millionaire coaches have a lot more in common with each other than they do to their fan bases.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/21/15 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For some people, anything Obama is for, they are against.

For some people, anything Geno does, is bad.

PostPosted: 04/21/15 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This whole thread has been full of people ripping McGraw for not showing up even though she had only a week's notice, while excusing and apologizing for Geno not showing up even though he knew about it for months in advance and simply chose to go on vacation instead. Oh and someone said how much more important it was for McGraw because Loyd was the #1 pick. Well when Geno made his vacation plans, who was supposed to be the #1 pick? Oh yeah, a UConn player.

I don't think I'm the only one who gets sick and tired of the ridiculous "Geno can do no wrong" double standard. If you want to try to dismiss that with a snide "For some people, anything Geno does, is bad." you will be missing the mark by a country mile. The reality is that for a lot more people "anything Geno does is perfect because Geno is god."

And then you have another poster defending total fiction as "All I was doing was pointing out that things can be spun in several ways" and "I'm just defending my coach". Well, I suppose that's one way to do it. If you don't have an actual defense, just make something up.

If it's ok for Geno to skip it then it's ok for Muffet to skip it whether she had a week or three months notice. And if no one's drawing anything from Geno's absence then there's no reason to draw anything from Muffet's absence, indeed much less reason given the short notice.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/21/15 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
This whole thread has been full of people ripping McGraw for not showing up even though she had only a week's notice, while excusing and apologizing for Geno not showing up even though he knew about it for months in advance and simply chose to go on vacation instead. Oh and someone said how much more important it was for McGraw because Loyd was the #1 pick. Well when Geno made his vacation plans, who was supposed to be the #1 pick? Oh yeah, a UConn player.

I don't think I'm the only one who gets sick and tired of the ridiculous "Geno can do no wrong" double standard. If you want to try to dismiss that with a snide "For some people, anything Geno does, is bad." you will be missing the mark by a country mile. The reality is that for a lot more people "anything Geno does is perfect because Geno is god."

And then you have another poster defending total fiction as "All I was doing was pointing out that things can be spun in several ways" and "I'm just defending my coach". Well, I suppose that's one way to do it. If you don't have an actual defense, just make something up.

If it's ok for Geno to skip it then it's ok for Muffet to skip it whether she had a week or three months notice. And if no one's drawing anything from Geno's absence then there's no reason to draw anything from Muffet's absence, indeed much less reason given the short notice.

Does this mean I'm not getting my apology?

linkster

PostPosted: 04/21/15 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame has become an uber-elite team over the last 5 or so years. With that comes the media attention and the speculation.

The big difference here is that Geno has had no issue with his two seniors while the actions of Loyd and the comment(s) by McGraw have been in the news. There is no reason to think that Geno snubbed his players because of anything they did. Maybe Geno is just a rude, self centered ass but last I saw he was on good terms with his players. Muffet and Loyd however have been in the news over something that has at least strained their relationship. There is no reason to drag UConn into what was and is a running story about Notre Dame and Notre Dame alone.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/21/15 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Notre Dame has become an uber-elite team over the last 5 or so years. With that comes the media attention and the speculation.

The big difference here is that Geno has had no issue with his two seniors while the actions of Loyd and the comment(s) by McGraw have been in the news. There is no reason to think that Geno snubbed his players because of anything they did. Maybe Geno is just a rude, self centered ass but last I saw he was on good terms with his players. Muffet and Loyd however have been in the news over something that has at least strained their relationship. There is no reason to drag UConn into what was and is a running story about Notre Dame and Notre Dame alone.

You would LIKE it to be all about Notre Dame. You would LIKE there to be bad feelings. Loyd said McGraw is like a mother to her. Guess you'll be disappointed.

You can't say McGraw was supposed to be there, and then say there's no issue about Geno stiffing two of his players to go on vacation instead. Oh, excuse me. You're a UConn fan. Hypocrisy is second nature to you. How silly of me.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/22/15 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Does this mean I'm not getting my apology?

Don't hold your breath. I believe those occur less frequently than do ND F/ing Irish WCB National Championships.

As you referenced, after being confronted by ArtBest, the USA team trains May 4-6 in Vegas.

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/04/usa-basketball-wnt-to-train-in-las-vegas.aspx

I think it's safe to assume Geno will be present. However, I don't really know that, do I! So this could be just another "make excuses for Geno because he can do no wrong" blind faith kind of thing. (My usual MO.)

Laughing

PostPosted: 04/22/15 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's amazing how much people hate Geno Auriemma ...

And it's also interesting how public personas create such strong feelings. None of us here knows Geno Auriemma, as few if any of us knew Pat Summitt.

Summitt, despite her early years of poaching players and doing whatever it took to create a great program, developed a public persona that almost everyone felt good about.

Auriemma, despite his good relations with his players, has developed a public persona that a lot of people can't stand.

Did Summitt do things that made people feel good about her? Absolutely. Has Auriemma done things that make people upset? Absolutely.

But you know, they are people, with light and shadow, not lightning rods for our feelings about schools and basketball. A little emotional reaction makes it fun, granted; but too much is corrosive.

PostPosted: 04/22/15 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It's amazing how much people hate Geno Auriemma ...

And it's also interesting how public personas create such strong feelings. None of us here knows Geno Auriemma, as few if any of us knew Pat Summitt.

Summitt, despite her early years of poaching players and doing whatever it took to create a great program, developed a public persona that almost everyone felt good about.

Auriemma, despite his good relations with his players, has developed a public persona that a lot of people can't stand.

Did Summitt do things that made people feel good about her? Absolutely. Has Auriemma done things that make people upset? Absolutely.

But you know, they are people, with light and shadow, not lightning rods for our feelings about schools and basketball. A little emotional reaction makes it fun, granted; but too much is corrosive.

You are completely missing the point. Geno didn't do anything wrong. There's no big deal if Geno or any other coach skipped the draft.

The assinine thing here is some Uconn fans trying to rip a rival coach for missing the draft on a week's notice while excusing their own for doing the same thing with many months' notice.

Is that really that hard for you to see?

There was a poll here recently about why people dislike UConn. IIRC the answer wasn't because of Geno, it was because of Uconn fan's obnoxious behavior.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 04/22/15 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Always the bridesmaid... and the victim apparently. Yeesh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: