RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why Loyd leaving early is a good thing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/15 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

I thought it was a bit interesting that neither school of the early declarers seemed to send a representative.

Given how things have played out, at least the perception in the media, I could see why Jewell wouldn't invite Muffet McGraw to join her at the draft. (I don't know if she was invited, but it would be fair to say it's understandable if she wasn't)

I don't know what type of relationship Amanda Zahui B. had with the coaching staff at Minnesota, but she only played for them for 1 season so I could see her not feeling close enough to them to want to invite them.

I understand Muffett was already committed to another engagement that night. Given the surprise it's understandable this wasn't on her calendar. Same could well be true for the Minnesota coach. They weren't the only coaches absent, I believe. Was Geno there? Don't think so.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/18/15 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think McGraw not being there is highlighted because she's usually accompanied her players. Stollings doesn't have a history of that to compare to. (And no, Geno was not there. But on the other hand, he sent flowers to both KML and Stokes. Nice size bouquets, too.)

PostPosted: 04/18/15 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I think McGraw not being there is highlighted because she's usually accompanied her players. Stollings doesn't have a history of that to compare to. (And no, Geno was not there. But on the other hand, he sent flowers to both KML and Stokes. Nice size bouquets, too.)

If she had had more than a week's notice and then wasn't there, then you might be able to draw a conclusion. She had no reason to think she needed to keep the date open. What was Geno's excuse? He's known for months when it was and that he would have at least one player there but no one's drawing any sort of implication from his absence.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/18/15 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I guess there is neither FTD nor flowers.com in SB. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/18/15 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Do you know for a fact Loyd didn't get flowers? That's what I thought. Just trolling again. You've been doing a lot of that recently. Must be bored I guess.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/18/15 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very off-topic but related to alumni not getting support from their alma mater staff I give you Nikki Moody and Iowa State.

http://m.amestrib.com/sports/women-s-basketball-back-home-texas-moody-prepares-wnba-draft

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/18/15 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

If she had had more than a week's notice and then wasn't there, then you might be able to draw a conclusion. She had no reason to think she needed to keep the date open. What was Geno's excuse? He's known for months when it was and that he would have at least one player there but no one's drawing any sort of implication from his absence.

I didn't read Queenie's post as drawing any conclusions about McGraw other than that she usually has been there when she's had a top player in the draft.

As something of an aside, is it usual for men's coaches to attend the draft? I have no idea, since I don't usually watch any of the drafts.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/18/15 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
And no, Geno was not there.

Really! I wonder why not. Wasn't the draft in Connecticut and hasn't he attended prior drafts?

Perhaps we should more generally ask whether any of the coaches for any of the 12 invited players were there. (I didn't watch the draft.)
dtrain34

PostPosted: 04/18/15 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In reference to these responses:

Maybe. Loyd could have left at any time to go play in Europe - see Epiphany Prince and Schuye LaRue, for example. Instead, she didn't leave Notre Dame until she was eligible for the WNBA.

and

And she had no deadline to declare anything to play in Europe.

Maybe she wasn't ready to turn pro before, who knows, but my comment is only that having chosen to go when she did she was able to make the easily understandable case of leaving early for the draft as opposed to angering people by saying she was leaving to leave the country.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/18/15 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:
And no, Geno was not there.

Really! I wonder why not. Wasn't the draft in Connecticut and hasn't he attended prior drafts?

Perhaps we should more generally ask whether any of the coaches for any of the 12 invited players were there. (I didn't watch the draft.)

As per his daughter, Geno took his wife off to Napa, and she trumps anything and everything.

I saw Bruno, Staley, and Warlick. I heard that Gottlieb was also there. I think I might have seen Hoover, but at this point, we're getting to "how well can Queenie recognize the back of a person's head with mediocre lighting?" levels of crowd-watching.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/19/15 6:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Do you know for a fact Loyd didn't get flowers? That's what I thought. Just trolling again. You've been doing a lot of that recently. Must be bored I guess.

Did I say for a fact Lloyd didn't get flowers? That's what I thought. You're just trolling again, like this:

"It was the delusion of wanting to be a football school..."

"...dream of being a football powerhouse..."

The last couple of WCB years haven't been kind to you (neither has CFB), and it shows. You're beginning to give Ridor a run for his $$$.

PostPosted: 04/19/15 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those who leave early cheat themselves out of the chance to improve their game and in turn, drag down the quality of the pro game. They are also not mature enough to handle the pro game. See how the NBA has turned into a cesspool.

PostPosted: 04/19/15 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't get it.

It's Lloyd's decision

Shoulda, would, coulda.

Sour grapes or not what does it matter unless you are trying to say to future recruits you better stay 4 years or Muffet will be pissed, so don't let her know!

I see Glenn's point as he was referring to the article and how it was written, particularly the title being out of line with the piece.

BUT I guess it depends in where you are, just an ND fan, just a WCBB fan or a fan of the women's game in general,

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/19/15 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Those who leave early cheat themselves out of the chance to improve their game and in turn, drag down the quality of the pro game. They are also not mature enough to handle the pro game.

Does that universal truth extend to the way Lauren Jackson dragged the pro game down as an immature 20 year old?

PostPosted: 04/19/15 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

As something of an aside, is it usual for men's coaches to attend the draft? I have no idea, since I don't usually watch any of the drafts.

Most of the coaches are there, seated near their players and their families.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/19/15 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Most of the coaches are there, seated near their players and their families.

I would think that any coach would want to have their picture taken with a player that got drafted, if only to have it on their desk whenever a potential recruit visits. Rolling Eyes

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/19/15 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Very off-topic but related to alumni not getting support from their alma mater staff I give you Nikki Moody and Iowa State.

http://m.amestrib.com/sports/women-s-basketball-back-home-texas-moody-prepares-wnba-draft

I didn't have anything nice to say about Bill Fennelly before reading this story, and I certainly don't now.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/19/15 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Those who leave early cheat themselves out of the chance to improve their game and in turn, drag down the quality of the pro game. They are also not mature enough to handle the pro game. See how the NBA has turned into a cesspool.

The NBA is more popular than it has ever been, and compared to the NFL, it's a collection of choir boys -- and it's PED usage is much less than MLB.

The NBA is the best basketball in the world, and the playoffs are a tremendous spectacle, not to mention played at the highest level.

That said, I think it hurts the game (but helps the individual) to have teenagers moving into the NBA, but even if it does, it hasn't hurt it that much.

PostPosted: 04/19/15 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:

Well I guess it's settled then. Rolling Eyes

And it's really unfortunate too how Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant and Moses Malone and Labron James turned the NBA into such a "cesspool".

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/19/15 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The NBA is more popular than it has ever been, and compared to the NFL, it's a collection of choir boys -- and it's PED usage is much less than MLB.

The NBA is the best basketball in the world, and the playoffs are a tremendous spectacle, not to mention played at the highest level.

NBA consists of 30 teams with an active roster of 13 per team = 390 players
NFL consists of 32 teams with an active roster of 53 per team = 1,696 players

Just by the sheer volume, you are bound to have more bad apples in the NFL as opposed to the NBA. However, I would bet that the "most fathered babies" might be a lot closer than one would think. Shoot, Shawn Kemp himself makes it pretty close with his 7 with 6 different women.

Are we sure the NBA is more popular than ever? As one that was a teenager in the 80's, it certainly seemed as if the NBA was far & away the most popular sport, ahead of even the NFL. That certainly isn't the case today as the NFL is way out in front of all sports here in the US.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 04/19/15 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:

What about those who stay? Do you think they all are great? Case in point, Skyler stayed her 4 years but still had a rough rookie year, but was much better her second year.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 04/19/15 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was so happy to see Holly Warlick, Kyra Elzy, Jolette Law, and Dean Lockwood be there for Isabelle Harrison. Love the Lady Vol's.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/19/15 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
I was so happy to see Holly Warlick, Kyra Elzy, Jolette Law, and Dean Lockwood be there for Isabelle Harrison. Love the Lady Vol's.

Yep, I thought it was pretty cool, the whole staff showing up. Izzy's dad was there but I didn't see her mom, who I believe is not in the best of health.

PostPosted: 04/20/15 6:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
I don't get it.

It's Lloyd's decision

Shoulda, would, coulda.

Sour grapes or not what does it matter unless you are trying to say to future recruits you better stay 4 years or Muffet will be pissed, so don't let her know!

I see Glenn's point as he was referring to the article and how it was written, particularly the title being out of line with the piece.

BUT I guess it depends in where you are, just an ND fan, just a WCBB fan or a fan of the women's game in general,

IF you hav ebeen around this board long enough you would know I am not a ND fan. I just do not like seeing immature players going into the draft.

Second, and I am, but not really surprised, considering the mindset of too many people here, an athlete makes a committment when he or she signs to play to a school, and they owe that school all four years. As much time and money a school invests, the athlete owes the school this.

PostPosted: 04/20/15 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
an athlete makes a committment when he or she signs to play to a school, and they owe that school all four years. As much time and money a school invests, the athlete owes the school this.

If Loyd had gotten a four year guaranteed scholarship then you might have a point. She didn't, so she availed herself of the same opportunity the school had to separate between seasons.

Quote:
I just do not like seeing immature players going into the draft.

Loyd is older than Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: