RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

World University Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/04/15 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They are clearly on the 8 year plan!

It is interesting that when the National team is picked that there has been post after post about the unfairness of a certain coach getting his way, so I thought I would throw out some comments and thoughts by people who also have issues with the current coaching selections.

So 2 TN players end up on the WUG team with the TN coach, who have not played 1 minute of college basketball the prior year. KD gets dumped even though she did play but there has been some obvious animosity toward her due to her college selection and rift with DD.

Wiese is invited makes WUG team - her coach is on the PAM team

Range is invited, makes WUG team - her coach is on a committee

Coates, Mitchell make PAM team, also heard Mitchell was ONLY SC player to have a decent try out, out of ALL SC players, but all made teams - Coach is asst National and U19

Cox makes U19 team over prior rep Mompremier(AA) as she is acc to some college coaches, being shamelessly recruited by the U19 coaches and apparently was outplayed by most posts at try outs.

Moore makes team over players who apparently had better try outs - coach is U19 and has the history of decking a player for no reason on national TV.

Paris Kea who was PG on U18 team was invited and made that team - coach is on the selection committee but was cut - has since transferred from said coaches school!

This last one was a stretch but I found it intriguing enough to bring up. Cooper was cut from U19, apparently she had a good try out. Durr was placed on U19 but didn't even try out - college coach is the asst U19 coach. But why not put her on team as Durr was injured, theory according to those who brought this up was that Walz did not want that competition for Durr at the point!

Now obviously there are a lot of people involved with USA basketball right now which is why there has been so much talk behind the scenes as people have ties everywhere. Much more is being said, I just picked out a few that I could recall off the top of my head.

The question remains - with clicks, (I even heard of groups of girls choosing not to pass the ball to another elite player on the team a few years ago), agendas, which could involve coaches coaching their own players and giving them advantages while holding back a hated rivals player, recruiting and playing favorites, how can there be a system put in place to avoid these issues.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 07/04/15 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Check out @LadyVol_Hoops's Tweet: https://twitter.com/LadyVol_Hoops/status/617373416002334720?s=09

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/04/15 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll be interested in seeing how Russell performs.

linkster

PostPosted: 07/04/15 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

half time of the Italy-USA game

USA leads 49-40

USA stars are McCall and Powers, who spurred a comeback after Italy opened a lead on 3 point shooting. Italy playing 4 and even 5 guards hit a number of uncontested 3's, forcing the US to guard the perimeter. Then the US used their size to dominate the paint with McCall leading the way.

Durantula

PostPosted: 07/04/15 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
They are clearly on the 8 year plan!

It is interesting that when the National team is picked that there has been post after post about the unfairness of a certain coach getting his way, so I thought I would throw out some comments and thoughts by people who also have issues with the current coaching selections.

So 2 TN players end up on the WUG team with the TN coach, who have not played 1 minute of college basketball the prior year. KD gets dumped even though she did play but there has been some obvious animosity toward her due to her college selection and rift with DD.

Wiese is invited makes WUG team - her coach is on the PAM team

Range is invited, makes WUG team - her coach is on a committee

Coates, Mitchell make PAM team, also heard Mitchell was ONLY SC player to have a decent try out, out of ALL SC players, but all made teams - Coach is asst National and U19

Cox makes U19 team over prior rep Mompremier(AA) as she is acc to some college coaches, being shamelessly recruited by the U19 coaches and apparently was outplayed by most posts at try outs.

Moore makes team over players who apparently had better try outs - coach is U19 and has the history of decking a player for no reason on national TV.

Paris Kea who was PG on U18 team was invited and made that team - coach is on the selection committee but was cut - has since transferred from said coaches school!

This last one was a stretch but I found it intriguing enough to bring up. Cooper was cut from U19, apparently she had a good try out. Durr was placed on U19 but didn't even try out - college coach is the asst U19 coach. But why not put her on team as Durr was injured, theory according to those who brought this up was that Walz did not want that competition for Durr at the point!

Now obviously there are a lot of people involved with USA basketball right now which is why there has been so much talk behind the scenes as people have ties everywhere. Much more is being said, I just picked out a few that I could recall off the top of my head.

The question remains - with clicks, (I even heard of groups of girls choosing not to pass the ball to another elite player on the team a few years ago), agendas, which could involve coaches coaching their own players and giving them advantages while holding back a hated rivals player, recruiting and playing favorites, how can there be a system put in place to avoid these issues.

A lot of this stuff wouldn't surprise me. I find it hard to pick someone on a team when they are too hurt to try out given our talent pool of players to pick from. Asia Durr may be very good but if she's hurt you can easily pick someone else. The HS recruiting stuff I definitely believe too.

Durantula

PostPosted: 07/04/15 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Erica McCall scored like 5 points per game at Stanford this year but triples that in the 1st half against Italy. She always had a big rep, is this the year she breaks out?

Durantula

PostPosted: 07/04/15 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jordin Canada, sort of surprised she made the team but here she is playing a lot of minutes so she must have impressed in practice.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/04/15 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Warlick said at halftime that DeShields has been injured and is "not fully healed but she wanted to come play." So she's hurt but because Holly's the coach she gets to take a roster spot away from a healthy deserving player who also wanted to play and could have actually contributed?

What kind of crap is that?

This team certainly could have used tall good ball handling guard like Alisha Gray or another playmaker like Jankoska.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/04/15 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Erica McCall scored like 5 points per game at Stanford this year but triples that in the 1st half against Italy. She always had a big rep, is this the year she breaks out?

Best game I've ever seen her play.

POLOinMD

PostPosted: 07/04/15 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The point guards for the WUG team are nothing but out of control ball hogs. Jordan Canada doesn't seem to realize she has other teammates on the floor. She shoots the ball every time she touches it. This team has no shooters. They could have really used Cooper, Gray and Brown.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 07/04/15 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
So Warlick said at halftime that DeShields has been injured and is "not fully healed but she wanted to come play." So she's hurt but because Holly's the coach she gets to take a roster spot away from a healthy deserving player who also wanted to play and could have actually contributed?

This team certainly could have used tall good ball handling guard like Alisha Gray or another playmaker like Jankoska.

I was under the impression that Deshields injured her ankle while in SKorea. I missed the Warlick interview so maybe Holly said otherwise???

Italy didn't even participate in the last 2 WUGs (at least) and apparently this team was thrown together in a short amount of time. The USA's first round games are not typically as close as this one was although the US was never in danger of losing it. The number of turnovers was disturbing. The lack of perimeter shooters will be problematic.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/04/15 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I was under the impression that Deshields injured her ankle while in SKorea. I missed the Warlick interview so maybe Holly said otherwise???

Italy didn't even participate in the last 2 WUGs (at least) and apparently this team was thrown together in a short amount of time. The USA's first round games are not typically as close as this one was although the US was never in danger of losing it. The number of turnovers was disturbing. The lack of perimeter shooters will be problematic.

I quoted exactly what she said. It didn't sound recent, and an announcer I believe said she was wearing a boot when she arrived in Korea.

I don't know how long she's been hurt but Warlick's comments made it sound like quite a while.

As to Italy they said many of their best players are playing in the European championships and the announcer said Italy was treating this as a "developmental" team.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/04/15 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

POLOinMD wrote:
The point guards for the WUG team are nothing but out of control ball hogs. Jordan Canada doesn't seem to realize she has other teammates on the floor. She shoots the ball every time she touches it. This team has no shooters. They could have really used Cooper, Gray and Brown.

It would also help if they had some guards who were taller than 5'5" and 5'6" so they might be able to defend the arc just a little at least. The Italian guards got their shots off at will.

BTW, the US had 33 turnovers, and only 13 asists. They were 1-5 from behind the arc. And Italy recorded 31 steals.

The US won primarily because they dominated the boards, 51-27, including 23 offensive rebounds.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/04/15 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/04/15 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

POLOinMD wrote:

Um Canada had 7 assists, but I guess she's an out of control ball hog. Also, if your point guard can get to the line by driving and getting fouled, that's a good thing. She's a good free throw shooter and it really is part of her game. She also scored all 9 of her points in the final quarter and had a nice steal and a sweet dish to McCall underneath the basket which sealed the game down the stretch. Canada always raises her game down the stretch. Check out the final three minutes of the WNIT title game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv8_gAI8828&feature=youtu.be

She finished with 31 points and most from the foul line in that game.

I do agree about the shooting though. The biggest flaw in her game is her lack of outside shooting, as well as the rest of this team. McCall and Powers were the most impressive for the US IMO, but I thought Canada was solid for them in that 4th quarter and helped keep the Italians from making a run.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/04/15 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
POLOinMD wrote:

Um Canada had 7 assists, but I guess she's an out of control ball hog. Also, if your point guard can get to the line by driving and getting fouled, that's a good thing. She's a good free throw shooter and it really is part of her game. She also scored all 9 of her points in the final quarter and had a nice steal and a sweet dish to McCall underneath the basket which sealed the game down the stretch. Canada always raises her game down the stretch. Check out the final three minutes of the WNIT title game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv8_gAI8828&feature=youtu.be

She finished with 31 points and most from the foul line in that game.

I do agree about the shooting though. The biggest flaw in her game is her lack of outside shooting, as well as the rest of this team. McCall and Powers were the most impressive for the US IMO, but I thought Canada was solid for them in that 4th quarter and helped keep the Italians from making a run.

BTW, Canada had 9 points (7 from the line), 2 assists and 3 steals in the 4th quarter. Any one who has followed her career will say they aren't surprised her best came out in the final quarter. That's the way she plays.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/04/15 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
POLOinMD wrote:

Um Canada had 7 assists, but I guess she's an out of control ball hog.

How many turnovers and missed shots did she have? I haven't found a box score yet.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 07/04/15 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a boxscore:

http://www.gwangju2015.com/info/

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/04/15 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
AJMMs wrote:
POLOinMD wrote:

How many turnovers and missed shots did she have? I haven't found a box score yet.

Oh believe me, I was frustrated by her all game long, up until the final quarter. She was forcing things too much but its the first game and she's also one of the youngest on the team. She'll settle in. The coaches know what she is capable of. That's why she was out there most of the game. She also has a really good mid-range game, but was off today. It was the first game. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. Very Happy

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/04/15 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
AJMMs wrote:
POLOinMD wrote:

Oh believe me, I was frustrated by her all game long, up until the final quarter. She was forcing things too much but its the first game and she's also one of the youngest on the team. She'll settle in. The coaches know what she is capable of. That's why she was out there most of the game. She also has a really good mid-range game, but was off today. It was the first game. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. Very Happy

Isn't that what POLOinMD was saying?

Btw, half the team is the same age she is, including McCall and Jones.

She's playing a lot because the group of guards they selected (and the group they left home) is pretty astonishing.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/05/15 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just as an aside, in case you weren't aware, ESPN is showing lots of events from the WUGs on WatchESPN and is showing at least swimming on the longhorn network on TV.

Pretty funny last night, btw. There was a German swimmer named Fabian Schwingenschloegl. The US TV announcers were having a little trouble agreeing on the proper pronunciation, but when the Korean PA anouncer came on, it was just "Fabian from Germany." Didn't even try the last name.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/05/15 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
AJMMs wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
AJMMs wrote:
POLOinMD wrote:

She's playing a lot because the group of guards they selected (and the group they left home) is pretty astonishing.

"The point guards for the WUG team are nothing but out of control ball hogs. Jordan Canada doesn't seem to realize she has other teammates on the floor. She shoots the ball every time she touches it. This team has no shooters."

I don't agree with what POLOinMD posted. Canada's main problem is that she tried to do too much. Most of her turnovers were from the fact that she was trying to set up her teammates, sometimes with passing that required both deliverer and receiver to be more in-sync. Only once did she get the ball sort of stripped from her when she lost it in the backcourt and couldn't recover and was whistled for backcourt clock the violation. She had 9 shots and made 1. If she had converted on say 40 percent of those shots as she mainly did in her freshman season 9 shots isn't much. Bruin fans have noted her lack of a 3 point shot is a major flaw that needs to be fixed, but as far as being a capable floor general and leader, that is her greatest strength. She may not be a great shooter, but believe me, she plays big in the biggest games and especially down the stretch and finds ways to score. She has an uncanny ability to draw fouls and get herself to the line where she usually converts at a high percentage. Go back and watch the fourth quarter of this game only and judge her on that. Totally different player in the fourth quarter than the first three. That's just her sometimes. Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/05/15 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
AJMMs wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
AJMMs wrote:
POLOinMD wrote:

"The point guards for the WUG team are nothing but out of control ball hogs. Jordan Canada doesn't seem to realize she has other teammates on the floor. She shoots the ball every time she touches it. This team has no shooters."

I don't agree with what POLOinMD posted. Canada's main problem is that she tried to do too much. Most of her turnovers were from the fact that she was trying to set up her teammates, sometimes with passing that required both deliverer and receiver to be more in-sync. Only once did she get the ball sort of stripped from her when she lost it in the backcourt and couldn't recover and was whistled for backcourt clock the violation. She had 9 shots and made 1. If she had converted on say 40 percent of those shots as she mainly did in her freshman season 9 shots isn't much. Bruin fans have noted her lack of a 3 point shot is a major flaw that needs to be fixed, but as far as being a capable floor general and leader, that is her greatest strength. She may not be a great shooter, but believe me, she plays big in the biggest games and especially down the stretch and finds ways to score. She has an uncanny ability to draw fouls and get herself to the line where she usually converts at a high percentage. Go back and watch the fourth quarter of this game only and judge her on that. Totally different player in the fourth quarter than the first three. That's just her sometimes. Very Happy

She may have forced the issue too much but she didn't force up too many shots (only 1-7 in the box I saw), and she definitely wasn't shooting every time she touched the ball.... I thought there was plenty over-dribbling or trying to do too much/too fast to go around (not just PGs), but at least a couple times it looked like Canada ended up taking it because other players weren't where they were supposed to be (which seemed to happen at UCLA too when I watched them earlier in the year).

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 07/05/15 6:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Team USA's next game in pool play will be against China which lost to the Czech Rep 94-71. The US plays the Czech Rep on Tuesday.

USA's toughest competition for the gold will likely be the Aussies who beat up on poor Uganda 128-31, while making 16 three-pointers.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/05/15 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1-7 shooting, negative A/TO ratio. I find it remarkable anyone is even attempting to defend that performance by Canada.

As far as I could tell her only saving grace was that Jenkins and Williams were even worse.

As I said above, the group of guards they selected (and the group they left home) is pretty astonishing.

Oh, and there is no rationale based on the quality of their play last night for Russell playing more minutes than Jones. Hard to avoid concluding that is due primarily to Russell's coach being on the bench.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 07/05/15 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How come Weise only played 2.48 in the game?
She might be the best pg on the team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: