RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

World University Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/07/15 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Aerial Powers is so freaking good.

She has been amazing in these three games.

I can't figure out why Nina Davis can't get any minutes. She seems to have delivered when she plays, but she can't get off the bench.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/07/15 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Bracket for championship:
Canada/Czech Republic winner vs Russia/Taiwan winner
United States/Hungary winner vs Australia/Japan winner

When are these quarterfinal games?

The semis are Saturday morning 7am ET, but I can't figure out when the US plays Hungary.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/07/15 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/07/15 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

The semis are Saturday morning 7am ET, but I can't figure out when the US plays Hungary.

Here is the schedule for the Classification Quarterfinals and the Medal Quarterfinals. (dates and times are based on South Korea)

July 9
Classification Quarterfinals
10:00am Italy vs Mozambique

10:00am Brazil vs Mexico

12:30pm Sweden vs Uganda

3:00pm Korea vs China

Medal Quarterfinals

3:00pm Canada vs Czech Republic

6:00pm USA vs Hungary

8:30pm Russia vs Chinese Taipai

8:30pm Australia vs Japan

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/07/15 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Here is the schedule for the Classification Quarterfinals and the Medal Quarterfinals. (dates and times are based on South Korea)

July 9

Medal Quarterfinals

If my calculation is correct (no guarantees) I think that makes the Hungary game 5am Thursday, DC time. Any chance that will be on TV or WatchESPN?

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 07/07/15 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

July 9

Medal Quarterfinals

If my calculation is correct (no guarantees) I think that makes the Hungary game 5am Thursday, DC time. Any chance that will be on TV or WatchESPN?

World University Games Schedule
All Times are Central Standard
July 4 vs. Italy -- W, 80-68
July 6 vs. China -- W, 90-75
July 6 vs. Czech Republic -- W, 92-54
July 9 vs. Hungary | 4 a.m.
July 10 – Semifinals | 6 a.m. | ESPNU | ESPN3
July 13 – Gold Medal Game | 4 a.m. | ESPNU | ESPN3
July 13 – Bronze Medal Game |5:30 a.m. | ESPN3

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/08/15 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

July 9

Medal Quarterfinals

A quarterfinal is listed on ESPNU for that time. There just are no teams listed right now.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/08/15 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

7/09
5:00 AM EDT
World University Games: Women's Basketball (Quarterfinal)
ESPNU

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/08/15 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to USAB site the USA v Hungary is at 7:30AM EDT on Thursday, July 09th.

http://www.usab.com/womens/world-university-games/schedule.aspx

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 07/08/15 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/08/15 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@umdwbb

UPDATE! #USA will play Hungary at 7:30 am ET tomorrow in the Quarterfinals and it WILL be on ESPNU/ESPN3! #USABwwug pic.twitter.com/IhTNEh5kaC
Media preview
4:34pm · 8 Jul 2015 · Twitter for iPhone

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/08/15 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
7/09
ESPNU

FWIW, my DirecTV guide is showing a 2 a.m. PT Quarterfinal game at the moment, but nothing more.

Thanks for all the info to everyone involved in trying to solve this. Much appreciated. Smile

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/08/15 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
7/09
ESPNU

FWIW, my DirecTV guide is showing a 2 a.m. PT Quarterfinal game at the moment, but nothing more.

Thanks for all the info to everyone involved in trying to solve this. Much appreciated. Smile

I have DirecTV here in the Northeast and the guide shows the game being televised on ESPNU at 5:00AM. So I decided to record the entire morning.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 07/09/15 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/08/15 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, I don't know which is the US game but now both the ESPN website TV schedule for ESPNU, and WatchESPN online, show Womens WUG Basketball games at both 5AM and at 7:30 AM eastern time tomorrow morning.

The DirecTV schedule for ESPNU still only shows the 5AM game, so you'll have to do a manual record for the second game.

I recorded both time slots. It should be one or the other.

Just a note that the USA basketball site has had the schedule wrong for at least one other game so my trust level in them is not really very high.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/08/15 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If my calculations are correct, looking at the WUG website, it appears that Canada vs Czech Republic is at 5AM, and US vs Hungary is at 7:30 AM tomorrow.

http://m.gwangju2015.com/sport-schedule-day/?pageNo=1&the_day=07.09&disp_cd=BK&noc=

ripleydc

PostPosted: 07/09/15 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bionna Jones, off the bench, has been making good use of her playing time so far in this tournament.

15 pts against Hungary in about 17 minutes. Smile

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/09/15 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Bionna Jones, off the bench, has been making good use of her playing time so far in this tournament.

15 pts against Hungary in about 17 minutes. Smile

6 for 6 from the floor, and the team's leading rebounder.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/09/15 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They are improving. One of their better, more cohesive games. Thought that this was Joe's best game from the sideline. His going small and putting on full court ball pressure paid immediate dividends in the second quarter and beyond.

Considering the significant height advantage The USA had, having only a four rebound edge at half time was a surprise. Jones more than made up for it in the second half.

Weise was the difference in the first half. Canada, Weise, Powers, Davis and Williams went to work in the second half with relentless ball pressure that translated into a thirty point lead by the end of the third quarter.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 07/09/15 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
sigur3

PostPosted: 07/09/15 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's no secret that I love small lineups and this is no exception. Powers at PF and Davis at C, along with the ball pressure of tremendous athletes in Williams and Canada, are going to run opposing teams out of the gym very, very quickly. More of this please!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/09/15 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
It's no secret that I love small lineups and this is no exception. Powers at PF and Davis at C, along with the ball pressure of tremendous athletes in Williams and Canada, are going to run opposing teams out of the gym very, very quickly. More of this please!

I'd be starting Jones, Davis, Powers, Weise or Williams, and Canada.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/09/15 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The stunning result of the tournament is Australia losing to Japan. That removes the primary obstacle to the United States and they should now be considered overwhelming favorites.

Back to the drawing board for Brendan Joyce (Australia had their two senior national team coaches coach the World University Games teams) as he is probably expecting to still use a number of these players for Olympic qualifying in a month.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/09/15 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

I'd be starting Jones, Davis, Powers, Weise or Williams, and Canada.

I really liked what Weise did when she was in there running the point. Seemed like the U.S. played more calmly in their halfcourt sets, plus she can really hit that outside shot. Canada was efficient on defense and did pretty well distributing the ball but OMG she better really work on establishing a consistent outside shot or she will not be playing pro ball at least in the WNBA. She also needs to work on getting much stronger. Loads of potential, but I was disappointed in her ability to score. I'm surprised by how much playing time she got yesterday, considering Weise was much steadier.

I agree about your starters. I've watched Russell a few times over the past couple of years and it just seems like she struggles against teams that play her aggressively. She does some nice things, but usually when she has to just turn or catch and shoot. I do like that she will get out and run the floor. Jones has better hands and seems to handle physical play better. They both have their strengths.

Also, I'm really surprised Australia lost to Japan.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/10/15 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Weise is a much better shooter and pretty good set up player when she is not pressured so can thrive against this level, however she is a terrible defender at the US college level and doesn't understand rotations etc. Canada is the opposite, not good from the outside but is a much better on the ball defender and understands defensive strategy. Pick your poison.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/10/15 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Weise is a much better shooter and pretty good set up player when she is not pressured so can thrive against this level, however she is a terrible defender at the US college level and doesn't understand rotations etc. Canada is the opposite, not good from the outside but is a much better on the ball defender and understands defensive strategy. Pick your poison.

Canada is also by far the better pure athlete, so there's reason to believe she can improve significantly. I like Wiese too, but it's more likely she's as good as she's going to get right now.

Of course, there's no guarantee that Canada's athleticism will translate into measurable improvement, as a horde of athletic college players have proven at the WNBA level.

PostPosted: 07/10/15 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No doubt Weise was the star of the Hungary game. Jones and McCall were also impressive. But what's with Russell? She looks no better than, or maybe even worse than when she was a freshman on 2 bad feet.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/10/15 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Canada is also by far the better pure athlete, so there's reason to believe she can improve significantly. I like Wiese too, but it's more likely she's as good as she's going to get right now.

Of course, there's no guarantee that Canada's athleticism will translate into measurable improvement, as a horde of athletic college players have proven at the WNBA level.

There's skill, there's athleticism, and there's smarts. I think Canada's on-court judgment and shot selection is also sorely lacking.

What she really provides in this tournament is that defensive quickness. She has really rattled some of these opposing guards with her quick feet and hands and has disrupted opposing offenses.

If they told her "just bring the ball up the court and pass it, and play great defense; just don't shoot, ever, from anywhere" it would probably work out better overall.

She is also very short, which, while not insurmountable, is certainly a drawback for her at the next level.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: