RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

World University Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/05/15 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
How come Weise only played 2.48 in the game?
She might be the best pg on the team.

IIRC she came in, rushed and airballed a 3 attempt, and I think that was the last we saw of her. Katie Hempen didn't play at all. They couldn't have been any worse than the guards who did play.

Meanwhile Allisha Gray, Lexie Brown, Tori Jankoska, Alexis Jones, Courtney Walker, Kaela Davis and Bria Holmes all got left home.

I find it inexplicable.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/05/15 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW, for those claiming the WUG and PAG teams were evenly divided, the guards on the Pan Am team include Tiffany Mitchell, Kelsey Plum, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, the "other" Courtney Williams (aTm), Moriah Jefferson and Linnae Harper. I expect the PAG guard play will be a pretty huge step up from that mess we saw last night.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 07/05/15 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
IM in OC wrote:

IIRC she came in, rushed and airballed a 3 attempt, and I think that was the last we saw of her. Katie Hempen didn't play at all. They couldn't have been any worse than the guards who did play.

Meanwhile Allisha Gray, Lexie Brown, Tori Jankoska, Alexis Jones, Courtney Walker, Kaela Davis and Bria Holmes all got left home.

I find it inexplicable.

In Chanises defense, it's her first game playing for USA. Give her a minute. She didn't play very well, but IMO she is the best facilitator of any of the PG. Weise may be a better shooter, but not a better facilitator. I would say the same about all of the other guards you mentioned, although Jenkins did shoot over 40% from 3 last year. Bottom line, few played well that game.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/05/15 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
IM in OC wrote:

I find it inexplicable.

In Chanises defense, it's her first game playing for USA. Give her a minute. She didn't play very well, but IMO she is the best facilitator of any of the PG. Weise may be a better shooter, but not a better facilitator. I would say the same about all of the other guards you mentioned, although Jenkins did shoot over 40% from 3 last year. Bottom line, few played well that game.

Fine, but seriously, would you say she's a better player than Allisha Gray? Plus at 5'5" she can't guard the arc which is so critical in these international games. I don't understand the choices.

BTW, the arc is also a foot and a half longer in these games than the NCAA.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/05/15 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
POLOinMD wrote:
The point guards for the WUG team are nothing but out of control ball hogs. Jordan Canada doesn't seem to realize she has other teammates on the floor. She shoots the ball every time she touches it. This team has no shooters. They could have really used Cooper, Gray and Brown.

It would also help if they had some guards who were taller than 5'5" and 5'6" so they might be able to defend the arc just a little at least. The Italian guards got their shots off at will.

BTW, the US had 33 turnovers, and only 13 asists. They were 1-5 from behind the arc. And Italy recorded 31 steals.

The US won primarily because they dominated the boards, 51-27, including 23 offensive rebounds.

Just to clarify there seems to be a difference in the way steals are counted. The USA had 33 turnovers and Italy was credited with 31 "steals" but the players on Italy were only credited with 17 steals individually. Similarly Italy committed 20 turnovers and the USA was credited with 20 "steals" even though individual players only got 13.

Strangely, in the game between Canada and Hungary there was no discrepancy between player steals and team steals.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/05/15 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
1-7 shooting, negative A/TO ratio. I find it remarkable anyone is even attempting to defend that performance by Canada.

As far as I could tell her only saving grace was that Jenkins and Williams were even worse.

As I said above, the group of guards they selected (and the group they left home) is pretty astonishing.

Oh, and there is no rationale based on the quality of their play last night for Russell playing more minutes than Jones. Hard to avoid concluding that is due primarily to Russell's coach being on the bench.

Well she made up for it in the fourth quarter and pushed the U.S. to victory and her defense was pretty darn good IMO. First game out there. I expect she'll make better decisions as the games go on and her mid-range game too. Watch the fourth quarter of this game only. It is the most important time in a close game and she made things happen. I was frustrated by her play all game, but the way she played down the stretch is why I'm defending her as being a capable leader for this team. BTW, I wouldn't give this a second thought based on her play before the final quarter.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/05/15 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
1-7 shooting, negative A/TO ratio. I find it remarkable anyone is even attempting to defend that performance by Canada.

As far as I could tell her only saving grace was that Jenkins and Williams were even worse.

As I said above, the group of guards they selected (and the group they left home) is pretty astonishing.

Oh, and there is no rationale based on the quality of their play last night for Russell playing more minutes than Jones. Hard to avoid concluding that is due primarily to Russell's coach being on the bench.

Well she made up for it in the fourth quarter and pushed the U.S. to victory and her defense was pretty darn good IMO. First game out there. I expect she'll make better decisions as the games go on and her mid-range game too. Watch the fourth quarter of this game only. It is the most important time in a close game and she made things happen. I was frustrated by her play all game, but the way she played down the stretch is why I'm defending her as being a capable leader for this team. BTW, I wouldn't give this a second thought based on her play before the final quarter.

So 30 minutes of a 40 minute game don't count? Seriously? That's your defense?

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/05/15 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
AJMMs wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

So 30 minutes of a 40 minute game don't count? Seriously? That's your defense?

Yes and I'd rather players play their best in the final 10 minutes than their best in the first 30 minutes. I'd take any player who does this and seems to do this consistently. Canada has a lot to improve on, but anyone who has followed her career thus far will tell you they aren't surprised that she played her best ball of the game down the stretch. Canada did some really nice things in the closing minutes, so I will forgive her for the way she played in the first 30 minutes for sure. Very Happy

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/05/15 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And maybe if she's played decently the first 30 minutes the US would have had a 25 point lead after three quarters.

Or maybe they ought to sit her ass on the bench until the last five minutes of the game.

I want players who play hard and smart the entire game. That's how you win.

Frankly I've never before in my entire life heard someone try to excuse three-quarters of lousy play with "well she made one basket and some free throws in the fourth quarter so that makes up for it." I'm just really amazed. And I don't think it even begins to excuse the first 30 minutes.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 07/05/15 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
IM in OC wrote:

I find it inexplicable.

Fine, but seriously, would you say she's a better player than Allisha Gray? Plus at 5'5" she can't guard the arc which is so critical in these international games. I don't understand the choices.

BTW, the arc is also a foot and a half longer in these games than the NCAA.

As a PG yes she would be a better option than Gray. They play different positions. Gray would play the 2 or 3 on this team.

linkster

PostPosted: 07/05/15 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:

Yes and I'd rather players play their best in the final 10 minutes than their best in the first 30 minutes. I'd take any player who does this and seems to do this consistently. Canada has a lot to improve on, but anyone who has followed her career thus far will tell you they aren't surprised that she played her best ball of the game down the stretch. Canada did some really nice things in the closing minutes, so I will forgive her for the way she played in the first 30 minutes for sure. Very Happy

Add me to those who saw Canada stink it up for 30 minutes. Her 4th quarter ft show was only because the Italian defenders were gassed and couldn't get out of her way. In her defense it appeared that the USA coach's game plan was for the guards to penetrate the paint and either shoot or dish off to a post.

Canada had 9 TO's, most of them because she continually tried to dribble through double teams or else drove the lane out of control. The Italians were pressuring the ball with multiple defenders the entire game, leaving other players unguarded. It was a high risk defense and Canada found but 7 of them. She is an outstanding ball handler but she needs to realize she isn't in HS anymore, there are talented players around her, and she needs to involve them.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/05/15 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who plans on watching the start of the next game live at 4:30am EDT on ESPNU? China is one of the teams using virtually all full time students. According to people who follow more closely than I do, some of their collegians are about as good as pro league players from the same age bracket as some players opt to go to school instead of playing in the pro league.

For reference, here are the other rosters as best I could find. In cases where I could not find organized teams for the players, I just substituted the university listed on the player's profile page on the Games' website. I suspect that there are name issues in a few cases. Grr at Brazilian names and inconsistent Romanization systems.

A

Canada:
Wumi Agunbiade, Alba Iulia (Romania), Duquesne
Quinn Dornstauder, Arizona State
Ruth Hamblin, Oregon State
Samantha Hill, Virginia Tech
Karly Roser, Northwestern
Korissa Williams, Windsor (CIS)
Adut Bulgak, Florida State
Dakota Whyte, Wisconsin
Meg Wilson, Simon Fraser (DII)
Laura Dally, Saskatchewan (CIS)
Abigail Fogg, South Dakota
Michelle Hudyn, Missouri

Hungary:
Bettina Baksa, MTK (Hungary)
Dorottya Balla, Oral Roberts
Fruzsina Fejes, Atomeromu (Hungary)
Dora Koch, Gyor (Hungary)
Zita Martonosi, Szegedi (Hungary)
Judit Manyoky, University of Physical Education (Hungary)
Alma Nemeth, University of Physical Education (Hungary)
Regina Pap, Pecs (Hungary)
Flora Szabo, Budapest Business School (Hungary)
Amadea Szamosi, Duquesne
Szonja Vukov, MTK (Hungary)
Dorina Zele, ZTE (Hungary)

Mozambique:
Yara Pelembe, Universidade Politecnica (Mozambique)
Isabel Mavamba, Universidade Politecnica (Mozambique)
Hasman Pedro, Universidade Politecnica (Mozambique)
Almina Mulhui, Universidade Politecnica (Mozambique)
Clitan De Sousa, Universidade Politecnica (Mozambique)
Carmen Rezende, Universidade Politecnica (Mozambique)
Dionilde Cuamba, Universidade Politecnica (Mozambique)
Ludomila Rangel, Universidade Politecnica (Mozambique)
Alice Timba
Nilsa Chiziane, Universidade Politecnica (Mozambique)

South Korea (family names first):
Choi Jeong-Min, Dankook University (South Korea)
Park Hyun-Young, Yong In University (South Korea)
Jeong Yur-Im, Far East International University (South Korea)
Kang Kye-Lee, Hallym Polytechnic University (South Korea)
Cha Eun-Young, Jeonju Vision University (South Korea)
Park Si-Eun, University of Suwon (South Korea)
Lee Su-Yeon, Gwangju University (South Korea)
Woo Su-Jin, Gwangju University (South Korea)
Jo Eun-Jung, Yong In University (South Korea)
Jang Hye-Jeong, Hallym Polytechnic University (South Korea)
Choi Jeong-Min, Yong In University (South Korea)
Park Chan-Yang, University of Suwon (South Korea)

B

China (family names first):
Zhao Zhifang, Tianjin University of Finance and Economics (China)
Zhao Zixin, Beijing University (China)
Zhu Zhengmin, Beijing University (China)
Wu Di, Tianjin University of Finance and Economics (China)
Liu Xuan, Xi'An University of Technology (China)
Wang Rong, Beijing University (China)
Ma Jianyi, Qinghai Normal University (China)
Sun Li, Nanjing University of Posts & Telecommunications (China)
Liang Jiamei, Liaoning (China)/Shanghai Jiao Tong University (China)
Zhang Weiqianru, Beijing University (China)
Jiang Tong, Beijing University (China)
Liu Tongyi, Beijing University (China)

Czech Republic:
Lenka Bartakova, USK Prague (Czech Republic)
Beata Adamcova, Valosun Brno (Czech Republic)
Petra Zaplatova, VS Prague (Czech Republic)
Pamela-Therese Effangova, Slavia Prague (Czech Republic)
Teresa Vyoralova, USK Prague (Czech Republic)
Renata Pudlakova, VS Prague (Czech Republic)
Barbora Kasparkova, Brno (Czech Republic)
Karolina Elhotova, VS Prague (Czech Republic)
Andrea Sladkova, VS Prague (Czech Republic)
Monika Satoranska, VS Prague (Czech Republic)
Klara Vojtikova, Brno (Czech Republic)
Nada Salacova, Nymburk (Czech Republic)

Italy:
Sara Bocchetti, Napoli (Italy)
Giulia Bona, Broni (Italy)
Debora Carangelo, Venezia (Italy)
Beatrice Carta, Cagliari (Italy), Washington
Caterina Dotto, Umbertide (Italy)
Giulia Gombac, Trieste (Italy)
Francesca Melchiori, Venezia (Italy)
Marta Meroni, Costa (Italy)
Maria Miccoli, Trieste (Italy)
Giovanna Pertile, Trieste (Italy)
Alice Quarta, Torino (Italy)
Federica Tognalini, Sesto San Giovanni (Italy)

C

Japan:
Masami Honda, Iris (Japan)
Mio Shinozaki, Red Wave (Japan)
Kaede Kondo, Antelopes (Japan)
Yuka Kosuge, Koalas (Japan)
Aya Tsurumi, Hakuoh University (Japan)
Chikae Uchino, Shoin University (Japan)
Yume Negishi, Waseda University (Japan)
Rika Tanimura, University of Tsukuba (Japan)
Remi Nunira, Nara Gakuen University (Japan)
Rie Izumita, Osaka University of Health and Sport Sciences (Japan)
Manami Fujioka, University of Tsukuba (Japan)
Saki Hayashi, Hakuoh University (Japan)

Mexico:
Laura Nunez, Universidad Popular Autonoma del Estado de Puebla (Mexico)
Pamela Martinez, Universidad Madero (Mexico)
Paola Estrada, Universidad Autonoma de Chihuahua (Mexico)
Casandra Ascencio, Instituto Tecnologico de Monterrey Guadalajara (Mexico)
Gabriela Saad, Universidad Autonoma de Chihuahua (Mexico)
Michelle Pardo, Instituto Tecnologico de Monterrey (Mexico)
Gabriela De La Rosa, Instituto Tecnologico de Monterrey (Mexico)
Gladiana Avila, Instituto Tecnologico de Monterrey (Mexico)
Rosaura Guardiola, Universidad de las Americas Puebla (Mexico)
Myriam Lara, Centro de Ensenanza Tecnica y Superior (Mexico)
Begona Faz, Fresno State
Diana Armas, Instituto Tecnologico de Monterrey Guadalajara (Mexico)

Russia:
Daria Namok, Spartak Moscow (Russia)
Alexandra Stolyar, Rostov (Russia)
Evgenia Finogentova, Novosibirsk (Russia)
Maria Kaitukova, Rostov (Russia)
Viktoria Medvedeva, Ivanovo (Russia)
Anastasiya Shilova, Chevakata Vologda (Russia)
Olga Novikova, Dynamo Moscow (Russia)
Maria Davydova, Florida International
Ksenia Tikhonenko, Spartak Moscow (Russia)
Olesia Sedletckaia, Chevakata Vologda (Russia)
Iulia Gladkova, Spisska Nova Ves (Slovakia)
Iulia Poluianova, Samara (Russia)

Sweden:
Louise Angel, Eos (Sweden)
Emelie Enjebo, 08 Stockholm (Sweden)
Frida Fogdemark, Telge (Sweden), Georgia Tech
Paulina Hersler, UCLA
Ulrica Holmqvist, Karlovy Vary (Czech Republic)
Anita Ilic, Telge (Sweden)
Helena Kurt, Monmouth
Tanya Massamba, Norrkoping (Sweden)
Ellen Nystrom, Colorado State
Linnea Rosendal, Blackeberg (Sweden), signed with Mercer
Josefin Vesterberg, Northland (Sweden)
Josefine von Uthmann, Eos (Sweden), St. Peter's

D

Australia:
Sara Blicavs, Bendigo Spirit (Australia)/Geelong Supercats (Australia)
Stephanie Collins, SMU
Aimie Clydesdale, Dandenong Rangers (Australia)/Dandenong Rangers (Australia)
Darcee Garbin, West Coast Waves (Australia)/Rockingham Flames (Australia)
Madeleine Garrick, Bendigo Spirit (Australia)
Alice Kunek, Dandenong Rangers (Australia)/Sandringham Sabres (Australia)
Tessa Lavey, Bendigo Spirit (Australia)/Bendigo Braves (Australia)
Carley Mijovic, Adelaide Lightning (Australia)/Waverley Falcons (Australia), drafted 30th in 2014 by Washington Mystics
Vanessa Panousis, Virginia Tech
Lauren Scherf, Dandenong Rangers (Australia)/Basketball Australia Centre of Excellence (Australia)
Stephanie Talbot, Canberra Capitals (Australia)/Canberra Capitals (Australia), drafted 33rd in 2014 by Phoenix Mercury
Olivia Thompson, Melbourne Boomers (Australia)/Ballarat Rush (Australia)

Brazil:
Leticia Rodrigues, Maranhao (Brazil)
Raphaella Monteiro, Recife (Brazil)
Ana Oliveira, Jaragua (Brazil)
Leila Zabani, Jaragua (Brazil)
Nicolle Chirinda, America (Brazil)
Claudia Fonseca, Maranhao (Brazil)
Carolina Dos Santos, Sao Jose (Brazil)
Leidilania Da Silva, Jaragua (Brazil)
Estela Arantes, Sao Jose (Brazil)
Lorraine Silva, Faculdade Mauricio de Nassau (Brazil)
Amanda Maqueia, Bradesco (Brazil)
Barbara Souza, Barretos (Brazil)

Taiwan (family name first):
Huang Ling-Chuan, Chinese Culture University (Taiwan)
Wu Yi-Ting, Cathay Life (Taiwan)
Cheng I-Hsiu, Cathay Life (Taiwan)
Pan Tzu-Yin, National Taiwan Normal University (Taiwan)
Chen Tsai-Hsin, Cathay Life (Taiwan)
Wei Yu-Chun, Taipower (Taiwan)
Wang Wei-Lin, Chunghua (Taiwan)
Wu Ying-Chieh, Taiyuan (Taiwan)
Huang Hsiang-Ting, Chunghua (Taiwan)
Chang Chi-Fang, Taiyuan (Taiwan)
Lin Yu-Ting, Cathay Life (Taiwan)
Yang Jung, Cathay Life (Taiwan)

Uganda:
Brenda Ekone, Nkumba University (Uganda)
Stacey Lubowa, Makerere University (Uganda)
Joy Chemutai, Makerere University (Uganda)
Sylivia Nakazibwe, Makerere University (Uganda)
Aisha Nakabubi, Kampala International University (Uganda)
Rebeccah Nassiwa, Makerere University (Uganda)
Claire Lamunu, Makerere University (Uganda)
Zainah Lokwameri, Uganda Christian University (Uganda)
Babra Gimbo, Nkumba University (Uganda)
Dorothy Nabasirye, Hanyang University (South Korea)
Brendah Aujat, Makerere University (Uganda)

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/05/15 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
So Warlick said at halftime that DeShields has been injured and is "not fully healed but she wanted to come play." So she's hurt but because Holly's the coach she gets to take a roster spot away from a healthy deserving player who also wanted to play and could have actually contributed?

What kind of crap is that?

This team certainly could have used tall good ball handling guard like Alisha Gray or another playmaker like Jankoska.

I was under the impression that Deshields injured her ankle while in SKorea. I missed the Warlick interview so maybe Holly said otherwise???

Italy didn't even participate in the last 2 WUGs (at least) and apparently this team was thrown together in a short amount of time. The USA's first round games are not typically as close as this one was although the US was never in danger of losing it. The number of turnovers was disturbing. The lack of perimeter shooters will be problematic.

I quoted exactly what she said. It didn't sound recent, and an announcer I believe said she was wearing a boot when she arrived in Korea.

I don't know how long she's been hurt but Warlick's comments made it sound like quite a while.

As to Italy they said many of their best players are playing in the European championships and the announcer said Italy was treating this as a "developmental" team.

The announcers said Diamond DeShields was in a walking boot during the Opening Ceremonies. The US Team has been in Korea since June 28th or 29th (they practiced on Seoul on the 29th), so it is possible she was hurt after they were in Korea. I didn't get the impression that it was while ago, but it's impossible to get a real timeline based on what she said. There isn't a mention of her in the 2 exhibition games, of course that doesn't mean much and I can't find anything about her injury, but I wouldn't expect there to be much talk of it.

Last edited by GEF34 on 07/05/15 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
GEF34

PostPosted: 07/05/15 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:

She didn't play point guard when she was on the court, she was the 2 guard.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/05/15 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

POLOinMD wrote:
The point guards for the WUG team are nothing but out of control ball hogs. Jordan Canada doesn't seem to realize she has other teammates on the floor. She shoots the ball every time she touches it. This team has no shooters. They could have really used Cooper, Gray and Brown.

Jordin Canada didn't have a great overall game, but she is hardly a player that shoots the ball every time she touches it. In this game the ball was in her hands a majority of the time and she shot a grand total of 7 times. Yes she can do a better job of finding her teammates, she drove in to far a few times and it resulted in the ball being stolen or tipped out of bounds, and her timing was off on quite a few passes, but I wouldn't call her a selfish player or even a shoot first player. In my opinion she passed up a few shots that resulted in a turnovers because she tried passing to a teammate and the ball was stolen or it was a bad pass.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/05/15 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
And maybe if she's played decently the first 30 minutes the US would have had a 25 point lead after three quarters.

Or maybe they ought to sit her ass on the bench until the last five minutes of the game.

I want players who play hard and smart the entire game. That's how you win.

Frankly I've never before in my entire life heard someone try to excuse three-quarters of lousy play with "well she made one basket and some free throws in the fourth quarter so that makes up for it." I'm just really amazed. And I don't think it even begins to excuse the first 30 minutes.

Well now you've heard it I suppose. lol You act like they lost. So US didn't win by 20. OK. I see your philosophy. She's a high-risk point guard and is young and yes she needs to be harnessed a bit, but it was the first game and I don't apologize for forgiving 3 quarters of bad ball in exchange for making things happen for the last 10. Happens a lot frankly in basketball. If she continues to turn the ball over as much, then I'll agree. Again, she did what needed to be done to get the win as leader of this team. So you saw NOTHING good in her play? Nothing? Geesh!

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/05/15 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
AJMMs wrote:

Add me to those who saw Canada stink it up for 30 minutes. Her 4th quarter ft show was only because the Italian defenders were gassed and couldn't get out of her way.

You haven't watched Canada play much have you? Had nothing to do with their guards being tired. Canada does this all the time. She knows how to get her self to the line. We Bruin fans know this is a part of her game and we love it.
Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/06/15 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
linkster wrote:
AJMMs wrote:

Add me to those who saw Canada stink it up for 30 minutes. Her 4th quarter ft show was only because the Italian defenders were gassed and couldn't get out of her way.

You haven't watched Canada play much have you? Had nothing to do with their guards being tired. Canada does this all the time. She knows how to get her self to the line. We Bruin fans know this is a part of her game and we love it.
Very Happy Very Happy

In the first half Canada was 0-2, with 4 assts, 3 steals and 3 TOs, playing almost the entire 20 min. It wasn't pretty, but the entire team was ragged, which is also going to make the PG look worse.... In the first half I thought she played as well as anyone not named McCall or Powers. Obviously hers was not a great first 20 min (tho they did score 49pts) but certainly didn't stink it up to the extent people seem to be remembering -- probably based on the 5 min stretch btw 3d & 4th quarters when she had 5 of her TOs.

Plenty of criticism warranted for Canada and the whole team, but certain comments have lacked a little perspective.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/06/15 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The team beat China, 90-75 this morning. Still waiting on stats.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/06/15 8:04 am    ::: Playing my banjo Reply Reply with quote

Maybe there is just too much "Deliverance going on".

It will be interesting to see if in the future more and more players just don't try out for USA, the guys don't value it and there is so much behind the scenes negativity that it could be headed in the same direction.

I predict that more players will be exiting college or following the few who decided to go over seas to play early.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/06/15 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Erica McCall scored like 5 points per game at Stanford this year but triples that in the 1st half against Italy. She always had a big rep, is this the year she breaks out?

Best game I've ever seen her play.

Not to worry. she did that against inferior competition in high school also, but at the USA college level she is undersized and cannot remember the scouting reports. Wink

Art, don't worry about Gray, she plays for Staley now, I am sure after she was cut, she understood that she would make the next roster with her basketball career move Wink KD too! I forgot about your Turner Art, last year I pointed out that I thought Turner got shafted by Staley. Every time Turner started to get going she was subbed out. Turner IMO is a much better player than Wilson and from all accounts works harder and has a better attitude!!

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/06/15 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
The team beat China, 90-75 this morning. Still waiting on stats.

http://www.gwangju2015.com/IRS/eng/bk/engbk_basketball_results_women_w400_b_04.htm

DeShields did not play.

linkster

PostPosted: 07/06/15 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy

Besides watching her in several games on TV I saw her in person against UConn last December in CT. While she has outstanding ball handling skills, she has trouble finishing. What I have seen is a player whose only way of scoring is at the line. While 39% isn't a bad fg% for a guard, the fact is that most of her attempts were layups. She only attempted 23 3 pt. shots last season. She only made 3 of those 23.

In her defense she was a freshman and like many freshman pg's need to learn to play in a system. CT's Jefferson is a good example of a pg who played at one speed and wore blinders as a freshman and didn't become effective until she developed an outside shot and also learned to dish off after drawing defenders to her.

Last edited by linkster on 07/06/15 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/06/15 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's unfortunate this team sucks so bad that it's 2-0.

Typical discussion on RebKell; the team picked is wrong, no one is better than those left home, and the USA is going to lose soon.

And they win gold.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/06/15 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
It's unfortunate this team sucks so bad that it's 2-0.

Typical discussion on RebKell; the team picked is wrong, no one is better than those left home, and the USA is going to lose soon.

And they win gold.

And you're asserting that the criticisms are invalid because the team has beaten two bad over-matched opponents? Seriously? You think that proves anything?

I apologize. This is obviously the absolute best team that could possibly have been assembled and every single player has played brilliantly. How silly of me to think otherwise. How dare anyone here on Rebkell discuss the games or the performances.

Typical dtsnms comment. I think you know better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: