RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

World University Games
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/14/15 8:41 pm    ::: World University Games Reply Reply with quote

The groups have been drawn for basketball and other sports:

There is no real way of knowing how strong other teams will be before the event, but the United States should avoid any tests until at least the semifinals.

Bill Self should be able to avoid having as embarrassing a performance with his Kansas team as the mixed team that represented Team USA last time around.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/15/15 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Head Coach for USA WBB will be Joe McKeown of Northwestern. He will be assisted by Holly Warlick of Tennessee and Tanya Warren of Northern Iowa.

Trials to select the 2015 USA World University Games Team will be held May 14-17, 2015, at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Invitations to attend trials will be issued in April to approximately 30 athletes who have at least one year of collegiate eligibility remaining.

PostPosted: 04/15/15 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Head Coach for USA WBB will be Joe McKeown of Northwestern. He will be assisted by Holly Warlick of Tennessee and Tanya Warren of Northern Iowa.

Trials to select the 2015 USA World University Games Team will be held May 14-17, 2015, at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Invitations to attend trials will be issued in April to approximately 30 athletes who have at least one year of collegiate eligibility remaining.

Here is the announcement this information is from:
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/04/2015-usa-womens-world-university-games-team-coaches-announced.aspx

Again it will be interesting to see how USA Basketball balances this roster with the Pan American Games Team which will draw from the same general collegiate pool. The assumption is that anyone at the U19 age level will be a part of that team as a priority.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/15/15 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always wondered how they pick these coaches for the various USA Team. Has Muffett McGraw been selected in a long time? I've seen a lot of coaches who have had less success than her coach USA Basketball. I don't think I've seen Gary Blair, Brenda Frese, or Kim Mulkey either, and that right there is four national championship winning coaches. Some of the recent coaches include Katie Meier, Jennifer Rizotti as head coaches for U19, Nikki Caldwell as assistant. Nothing wrong with the current staff but I do wonder how they identify candidates, such as the coach from Northern Iowa.

LDYVOLS4EVER

PostPosted: 04/15/15 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
I always wondered how they pick these coaches for the various USA Team. Has Muffett McGraw been selected in a long time? I've seen a lot of coaches who have had less success than her coach USA Basketball. I don't think I've seen Gary Blair, Brenda Frese, or Kim Mulkey either, and that right there is four national championship winning coaches. Some of the recent coaches include Katie Meier, Jennifer Rizotti as head coaches for U19, Nikki Caldwell as assistant. Nothing wrong with the current staff but I do wonder how they identify candidates, such as the coach from Northern Iowa.

Well, if Weno would move over and let another coach have their turn instead of holding on the USA reigns for his own agenda, then maybe you'd see other well-deserving coaches get a shot.

sammieee

PostPosted: 04/15/15 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/04/2015-usa-womens-world-university-games-team-coaches-announced.aspx

Again it will be interesting to see how USA Basketball balances this roster with the Pan American Games Team which will draw from the same general collegiate pool. The assumption is that anyone at the U19 age level will be a part of that team as a priority.

I thought the World Games usually consists of College Jrs and Srs.

In 2013, they had Sims, Hartley, Schimmel, KML, Bradford, etc. You'll probably see players Stewert, Jefferson, Mavunga, Plum, Deshields (maybe?), etc.

The U19 will be mostly college freshmans, and younger. Basically HS class of 2014-2015. So, like Turner, Canada, Wilson, Samuelson, Durr, etc.

I don't think USA cares too much for the Pan-Am games. The 2011 roster was very pedestrian. They had a HS Breanna Stewert, along with some decent college players like April Sykes, Kevi Luper, etc. They definitely could've sent a better roster.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/16/15 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

In 2013, they had Sims, Hartley, Schimmel, KML, Bradford, etc. You'll probably see players Stewert, Jefferson, Mavunga, Plum, Deshields (maybe?), etc.

The U19 will be mostly college freshmans, and younger. Basically HS class of 2014-2015. So, like Turner, Canada, Wilson, Samuelson, Durr, etc.

I don't think USA cares too much for the Pan-Am games. The 2011 roster was very pedestrian. They had a HS Breanna Stewert, along with some decent college players like April Sykes, Kevi Luper, etc. They definitely could've sent a better roster.

A lot of players opted not to tryout because the Pan American Games took place in October. A lot of the players who would have chosen to tryout if it were in June or July decided to stay and prepare for the upcoming NCAA season.

sammieee

PostPosted: 04/16/15 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
sammieee wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

A lot of players opted not to tryout because the Pan American Games took place in October. A lot of the players who would have chosen to tryout if it were in June or July decided to stay and prepare for the upcoming NCAA season.

Ahh, thank you. I wondered why the roster wasn't up to par with the other national teams they sent.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/16/15 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Well, if Weno would move over and let another coach have their turn instead of holding on the USA reigns for his own agenda, then maybe you'd see other well-deserving coaches get a shot.

It's always Geno's fault, isn't it?

PostPosted: 04/16/15 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
Durantula wrote:

No, this particular issue was everyone else's fault. Rolling Eyes You'll have to excuse my skepticism, but when a coach speaks on this topic as if it is indeed a great advantage for himself, then yeah...chances are he's just doing it to bolster his own agenda. I'm pretty sure he said as much. The guy doesn't even care that he comes off as a "do as I please" kind of guy. Just cause he can. Just cause there's no backbone in the media or NCAA.

A fellow poster on the Summitt stated, "I recently heard a guy on a national radio show (don't know his name) say UConn's rise to prominence was a monster created by ESPN.....They were right there in their back yard and thought they could help them with recruiting, and help make them become a dominant women's college basketball team by promoting them and offering benefits.....He went on to say the experiment worked better than they ever dreamed. He was not a fan of any team, but he felt the games had become almost too easy for them."

And, anyone who believes Geno has done this all on his own is just fooling themselves. Uconn's championships are tainted, bottom line. I've no respect for him as a coach and at least some of his championships don't count for squat. JM and others' O.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/16/15 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went to the ESPN site and did a search on Diamond DeShields. I counted 10 feature stories and 5 videos since she announced her transfer to Tenn. I would say that's a record for a player sitting out a season.

Is this just ESPN hyping the LV's to promote them back into prominance?

As far as Auriemma stepping aside to give others a chance, I thought the idea was to use the best coach available? Will Diamond DeShields ask to sit so other players can have a chance to play? Very Happy

Having been a former subscriber to the Summitt for years, I can attest that there is a cadre of posters there who are convinced that the UConn coach is somewhere between Hanibal Lecter and Charlie Manson on the "evil" scale.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/16/15 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, it's ESPN hyping their next "poster girl". They did the same thing to Candace Parker the year she redshirted.

And the post above yours is a pretty good illustration of why I won't and never did have anything to do with The Summitt. Razz *gack*

PostPosted: 04/16/15 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
ClayK wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
Durantula wrote:

No, this particular issue was everyone else's fault. Rolling Eyes You'll have to excuse my skepticism, but when a coach speaks on this topic as if it is indeed a great advantage for himself, then yeah...chances are he's just doing it to bolster his own agenda. I'm pretty sure he said as much. The guy doesn't even care that he comes off as a "do as I please" kind of guy. Just cause he can. Just cause there's no backbone in the media or NCAA.

A fellow poster on the Summitt stated, "I recently heard a guy on a national radio show (don't know his name) say UConn's rise to prominence was a monster created by ESPN.....They were right there in their back yard and thought they could help them with recruiting, and help make them become a dominant women's college basketball team by promoting them and offering benefits.....He went on to say the experiment worked better than they ever dreamed. He was not a fan of any team, but he felt the games had become almost too easy for them."

And, anyone who believes Geno has done this all on his own is just fooling themselves. Uconn's championships are tainted, bottom line. I've no respect for him as a coach and at least some of his championships don't count for squat. JM and others' O.

Wow. Just wow. Not a UConn fan at all, but you cannot just throw out the line about UConn's championships being tainted unless you come up with a lot more evidence than you have produced thus far. Radio personalities say things that are provocative, especially when they don't need to provide any evidence, but that doesn't make those suggestions true. It's like that person that swears that a fact is true "because they read it on the internet."

LDYVOLS4EVER

PostPosted: 04/16/15 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
ClayK wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Wow. Just wow. Not a UConn fan at all, but you cannot just throw out the line about UConn's championships being tainted unless you come up with a lot more evidence than you have produced thus far. Radio personalities say things that are provocative, especially when they don't need to provide any evidence, but that doesn't make those suggestions true. It's like that person that swears that a fact is true "because they read it on the internet."

I'm not try to persuade anyone here of anything. I could care less what most people think. I've read and heard many things and if I felt like getting on the soapbox and launching an anti-Geno/Uconn tirade I would. I just don't. It wouldn't do any good. Just know there's a lot of information out there, most of which have been told to good people who refuse to divulge their sources of information because they've made promises, so it's certainly not my place. And, if they have no problem in letting that information known...again, it's not place to do so.

I've voiced my "opinion", which last time I checked most "opinions" on here aren't backed-up by a bibliography and/or footnotes.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/16/15 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
ClayK wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I'm not try to persuade anyone here of anything. I could care less what most people think. I've read and heard many things and if I felt like getting on the soapbox and launching an anti-Geno/Uconn tirade I would. I just don't. It wouldn't do any good. Just know there's a lot of information out there, most of which have been told to good people who refuse to divulge their sources of information because they've made promises, so it's certainly not my place. And, if they have no problem in letting that information known...again, it's not place to do so.

I've voiced my "opinion", which last time I checked most "opinions" on here aren't backed-up by a bibliography and/or footnotes.

Quote:
Just know there's a lot of information out there, most of which have been told to good people who refuse to divulge their sources of information because they've made promises, ...

Is this the same "good people" on the Summitt who refer to the UConn coach as "that greasy Italian" or "the Dago"?

LDYVOLS4EVER

PostPosted: 04/16/15 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
ClayK wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Quote:
Just know there's a lot of information out there, most of which have been told to good people who refuse to divulge their sources of information because they've made promises, ...

Is this the same "good people" on the Summitt who refer to the UConn coach as "that greasy Italian" or "the Dago"?

Really? Don't try to downplay what well-informed, educated people say by lumping them into a group of ignorant and racist pigs. Try again.

And, by the way...I've NEVER seen such words to describe Geno or anyone else for that matter...on "The Summitt."

linkster

PostPosted: 04/16/15 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
linkster wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
ClayK wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Quote:

Really? Don't try to downplay what well-informed, educated people say by lumping them into a group of ignorant and racist pigs. Try again.

And, by the way...I've NEVER seen such words to describe Geno or anyone else for that matter...on "The Summitt."

Yeah, I hallucinated it all. Rolling Eyes The troubling thing is that some Summitt moderators are among the group that have supported the use of those types of slurs by allowing them them to remain posted in order to "allow LV fans to vent".

And in my opinion, when "good people" hear derogatory hearsay comments about another person they don't repeat them unless they are willing to name the source. The type of charges you hint here at have been repeated without any sourcing for about 10 years now on the Summitt and on other boards. People like that fall into a category other than "good".

LDYVOLS4EVER

PostPosted: 04/16/15 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
linkster wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
ClayK wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, I hallucinated it all. Rolling Eyes The troubling thing is that some Summitt moderators are among the group that have supported the use of those types of slurs by allowing them them to remain posted in order to "allow LV fans to vent".

And in my opinion, when "good people" hear derogatory hearsay comments about another person they don't repeat them unless they are willing to name the source. The type of charges you hint here at have been repeated without any sourcing for about 10 years now on the Summitt and on other boards. People like that fall into a category other than "good".

By all means, please point out 1 time where you "hallucinated." I can get a moderator to look those terms up.

I didn't say "they" didn't name their sources. They did. I, on the other hand, am not willing. I'm not sure where you're getting "10 years" from. It wasn't until the last few years that I began to hear such things...and NOT just from The Summitt and not just from TN supporters. By the way, there's a big difference between derogatory and true statements. To some, of course true statements will be taken as derogatory or rather, not very complimentary.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/16/15 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:

I didn't say "they" didn't name their sources. They did. I, on the other hand, am not willing. I'm not sure where you're getting "10 years" from. It wasn't until the last few years that I began to hear such things...and NOT just from The Summitt and not just from TN supporters. By the way, there's a big difference between derogatory and true statements. To some, of course true statements will be taken as derogatory or rather, not very complimentary.

Quote:
I didn't say "they" didn't name their sources. They did. I, on the other hand, am not willing.

IMO those who hear something 3rd hand that slurs another person should either name their source when repeating it or keep the information to themselves.

Of course that's just me. I would never ask someone else to display common decency. Especially a vitriolic LV fan.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/17/15 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:

Quote:
I didn't say "they" didn't name their sources. They did. I, on the other hand, am not willing.

IMO those who hear something 3rd hand that slurs another person should either name their source when repeating it or keep the information to themselves.

Of course that's just me. I would never ask someone else to display common decency. Especially a vitriolic LV fan.

Well, link, that's how it is......we are both stuck with skunks in the shrubbery.

PostPosted: 04/17/15 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holy thread derailment, Batman.

IMO, though this is not a codified rule, what happens on other boards has no relevance whatsoever here. (Unless it turns out you're, like, stalking underage girls, or other such criminal activities.)

(now with spelling variations)
LDYVOLS4EVER

PostPosted: 04/17/15 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:

Quote:

Oh yes, I'm a "vitriolic LV fan." Rolling Eyes If you can't sustain an intellectual debate about a certain topic, at least abstain from attacking a poster. I'll assume you're just too accustomed to the smell of skunks to know the difference. Just for future reference, not everyone with a different opinion than yourself is necessarily wrong.

P.S. I'm still waiting on you to give me info on those nasty words you claimed you saw used to describe Geno. When exactly were those posted? Can you differentiate between all your delusions/imaginings?

linkster

PostPosted: 04/17/15 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="LDYVOLS4EVER"]
linkster wrote:
LDYVOLS4EVER wrote:

Oh yes, I'm a "vitriolic LV fan." Rolling Eyes If you can't sustain an intellectual debate about a certain topic, at least abstain from attacking a poster. I'll assume you're just too accustomed to the smell of skunks to know the difference. Just for future reference, not everyone with a different opinion than yourself is necessarily wrong.

P.S. I'm still waiting on you to give me info on those nasty words you claimed you saw used to describe Geno. When exactly were those posted? Can you differentiate between all your delusions/imaginings?

Since I didn't save them for posterity and I no longer subscribe to the Summitt I can't reference those slurs. But before I left I did copy a couple of examples of the types of things a small cadre of the posters there regularly post. How about this one from volcrazy89, posted on or closely before 4-11-14"? It concerns the long running charge that there was something illegal about Maya Moore's mother's making and selling her handbags in the privately run bookstore on campus. The fact that it was and still is perfectly within the NCAA rules didn't stop volcrazy89 from this disgusting analogy:

Quote:
Geno is a very good coach, but as a person, he is about as low as it gets. Everyone knows that by now. Kathryn Moore is not much better. It's no wonder she pimped her daughter out to a person that is cut from the same cloth as her. If UConn fans can live with that, good for them. And neither one of them is worthy of even a mention from Tennessee, let alone an apology.

Is volcrazy one of your "good people"? Do you consider calling perhaps the best player in the game a whore, her mother a pimp and Auriemma a john lies within the boundaries of decency?

Before I left the site there was an attempt from some long-time Summiteers to tone down the slimy comments directed at UConn and their coach. Those LV fans pointed to the board rules that said that hate speech was prhibited, and asked that it be enforced. Maria, in one of her worst moments, replied by saying that she was going to allow it to continue. Her reason was that she felt LV fans "needed to vent their feelings".

linkster

PostPosted: 04/17/15 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
If you can't sustain an intellectual debate about a certain topic, at least abstain from attacking a poster. I'll assume you're just too accustomed to the smell of skunks to know the difference. Just for future reference, not everyone with a different opinion than yourself is necessarily wrong.

I was never trying to debate anything. I commented on your OP only because of its tone.
I've tired of the endless back and forth about those old issues. When someone says UConn bought Moore's mother a luxury condo and cheated in allowing her to sell her handbags I am invariably told that the evidence is there but that they can't tell me in order to "protect their sources", but that I should trust them. Of course there is also the vast conspiracy between UConn, the NCAA and ESPN to hide "the truth".

Sorry, but I'm not going down that road with you. But I'd love to see you reference something equivalent to the "pimping" comment from any UConn homer board. But I won't hold my breath. Wink

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/17/15 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suppose I should just start another thread when there is actual news to report about this team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: