RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

World University Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/10/15 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL who knows, maybe they are Very Happy

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/10/15 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fungai wrote:
No doubt Weise was the star of the Hungary game. Jones and McCall were also impressive. But what's with Russell? She looks no better than, or maybe even worse than when she was a freshman on 2 bad feet.

I've commented before that Baylor should have reached out to the men's ranks to hire an assistant with actual experience and expertise in coaching a true back-to-the-rim center when Griner was there. WCBB is dominated by forwards playing in the post. I just don't think there are coaches skilled at coaching true centers in the women's ranks. I certainly haven't seen them.

I'd say the same thing about Russell. Her footwork and positioning is awful. If the opponent plays at all physically with her (and if they're smart they do) she gets easily pushed too far from the basket and well out of position to be effective. She has horrible hands. And she's a turnover waiting to happen when she tries putting the ball on the floor.

That said, she has some skills, when she does get the ball in good position and the pass is right in her chest, she definitely can score. She can block shots (although her position and movement isn't great and she's not particularly good at staying between her player and the basket). And she seems to be a fine athlete. I think she needs the same kind of coaching that Griner needed. But I expect that like Griner, she'll never get it in college. So I doubt if she'll reach her potential in college.

I'd draft her. I think her WNBA upside will be higher than her college performance.

themick1952

PostPosted: 07/10/15 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Fungai wrote:
No doubt Weise was the star of the Hungary game. Jones and McCall were also impressive. But what's with Russell? She looks no better than, or maybe even worse than when she was a freshman on 2 bad feet.

I've commented before that Baylor should have reached out to the men's ranks to hire an assistant with actual experience and expertise in coaching a true back-to-the-rim center when Griner was there. WCBB is dominated by forwards playing in the post. I just don't think there are coaches skilled at coaching true centers in the women's ranks. I certainly haven't seen them.

I'd say the same thing about Russell. Her footwork and positioning is awful. If the opponent plays at all physically with her (and if they're smart they do) she gets easily pushed too far from the basket and well out of position to be effective. She has horrible hands. And she's a turnover waiting to happen when she tries putting the ball on the floor.

That said, she has some skills, when she does get the ball in good position and the pass is right in her chest, she definitely can score. She can block shots (although her position and movement isn't great and she's not particularly good at staying between her player and the basket). And she seems to be a fine athlete. I think she needs the same kind of coaching that Griner needed. But I expect that like Griner, she'll never get it in college. So I doubt if she'll reach her potential in college.

I'd draft her. I think her WNBA upside will be higher than her college performance.

I agree with most of your assessment of Russell. I just don't see the athleticism. She still looks like she is running underwater at times. She will need to get a lot strong or a lot quicker for the W.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/10/15 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My sincere hope is that we all know that it is spelled WIESE by the end of the tournament.

Also, if the United States plays Canada, can we all agree to use Jordin for the player and Canada for the country to avoid confusion?

Durantula

PostPosted: 07/11/15 6:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Japan is up 26-11 in the 1st quarter. USA cannot stop #11 Honda, who has as 11 points, same as USA.

Durantula

PostPosted: 07/11/15 6:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

30-16 after 1. Surprisingly USA is not able to stay in front of Japan's guards, maybe a zone defense can help but Japan is hitting their 3's so even that may not be ideal.

Durantula

PostPosted: 07/11/15 6:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mercedes Russell using her size well, Japan can't stop her.

lvf08

PostPosted: 07/11/15 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Overtime

77-77

lvf08

PostPosted: 07/11/15 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double overtime

86-86

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/11/15 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As undisciplined the The USA is, that is how disciplined Japan is. Japan may not be as talented but are out hustling the USA every play. Canada and Williams are a disaster waiting to happen.

PostPosted: 07/11/15 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA wins 102-98 double OT. Kudos to Japan, they have one hell of a coach.

Box score:

http://www.gwangju2015.com/IRS/eng/bk/engbk_basketball_results_women_w400_2_02.htm

PostPosted: 07/11/15 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Surely you jest.

She's got a foot in height plus a weight advantage over Japan and should be scoring and blocking at will. She's terrible except for when she gets the ball up close for a putback, but when she does it seems like pure luck of the bounce rather than skill in getting good positioning. For a number 1 recruit, she's sorely lacking in most areas.

The news of her greatness coming out of Tennessee practices seems to have been public relations BS now that we're actually able to see her play.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/11/15 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fungai wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Surely you jest.

She's got a foot in height plus a weight advantage over Japan and should be scoring and blocking at will. She's terrible except for when she gets the ball up close for a putback, but when she does it seems like pure luck of the bounce rather than skill in getting good positioning. For a number 1 recruit, she's sorely lacking in most areas.

The news of her greatness coming out of Tennessee practices seems to have been public relations BS now that we're actually able to see her play.

Well one thing is for sure. There is no explanation for the 46:10 ratio of minutes between Russell and Jones other than that Russell's coach is sitting on the bench.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/11/15 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Fungai wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Surely you jest.

Well one thing is for sure. There is no explanation for the 46:10 ratio of minutes between Russell and Jones other than that Russell's coach is sitting on the bench.

There are other head scratchers as far minutes played or lack there of. Davis playing so few minutes is inexplicable.

PostPosted: 07/11/15 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fungai wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Surely you jest.

I realize that Japan was much smaller, which is the biggest reason why she was scoring so much. Therefore, they probably should have kept doing that.

I'm not saying she is some star, but in this particular game (at the time i posted in the 1st half), she was carrying the scoring load.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/11/15 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Fungai wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Surely you jest.

I realize that Japan was much smaller, which is the biggest reason why she was scoring so much. Therefore, they probably should have kept doing that.

I'm not saying she is some star, but in this particular game (at the time i posted in the 1st half), she was carrying the scoring load.

Japan's tallest starter was 5'11". And despite Russell's 7 inch height advantage, she only shot 50%, had zero blocked shots, and Powers had just as many rebounds in fewer minutes. And in 46 minutes your center only shoots two free throws? That's pretty telling.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/11/15 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/11/15 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA needs 3 point shooters. Our posts cannot handle double teams and don't know how to move the ball to avoid the double teams. Without 3 point shooters spacing is terrible and gives our opposition an easy game plan. The fact that we are so big and cannot dominate in the paint as our fundamentals are lacking shows that our height can mostly be negated when we cannot shoot from the outside.

After watching the last quarter, some players who can pass, box out and have a better basketball IQ would be nice too Shocked

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/11/15 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
It's unfortunate this team sucks so bad that it's 2-0.

Typical discussion on RebKell; the team picked is wrong, no one is better than those left home, and the USA is going to lose soon.

And they win gold.

Well I wonder whether after watching the US "trounce" an overmatched and severely undersized Japanese team we're going to get another lecture about how the US is going to waltz its way to the gold and that the team and coaches are beyond discussion or reproach.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/11/15 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if you multiply Jones production by 4.6 (the difference in minutes), Jones would have 10 points (to Russell's 25), 14 rebounds (to Russell's 14), and 10 turnovers (to Russell's 2).

To me, the last number is huge, but the points' differential is obviously important as well.

I didn't watch the game, and maybe Jones never touched the ball, but still 10 minutes is a reasonable amount of time to show the coach that you're having a good game and deserve more minutes. Off of that production, I'd be playing Russell.

PostPosted: 07/11/15 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So if you multiply Jones production by 4.6 (the difference in minutes), Jones would have 10 points (to Russell's 25), 14 rebounds (to Russell's 14), and 10 turnovers (to Russell's 2).

To me, the last number is huge, but the points' differential is obviously important as well.

I didn't watch the game, and maybe Jones never touched the ball, but still 10 minutes is a reasonable amount of time to show the coach that you're having a good game and deserve more minutes. Off of that production, I'd be playing Russell.

Then you should watch it. It's available on ESPN3. Then you wouldn't make such a statement.

BTW, in terms of "not touching the ball", Jones attempted one shot total, got fouled, made 2 FTs. I know she got tied up and turned it over one other time. Other than that, really didn't get chances during her brief stints.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/11/15 2:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
linkster

PostPosted: 07/11/15 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering that most of Russell's shots were uncontested layups her 12/24 shooting is suspect. But all that aside, the fact that she was able to play 46 minutes has to be the most important stat as far as her coach and her fans are concerned.

themick1952

PostPosted: 07/11/15 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Considering that most of Russell's shots were uncontested layups her 12/24 shooting is suspect. But all that aside, the fact that she was able to play 46 minutes has to be the most important stat as far as her coach and her fans are concerned.

When you run the court as slow as her, sometimes not even getting down the floor, 46 minutes is not as impressive.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/11/15 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

themick1952 wrote:
linkster wrote:

When you run the court as slow as her, sometimes not even getting down the floor, 46 minutes is not as impressive.

Example - at the end of regulation she was at the US end with a chance to score a game winning basket. Why? Because while nine players had run to the other end of the floor with seconds to go in a tie game, Russell - theoretically the defender you really needed - hadn't even tried.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/13/15 5:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're destroying Canada.

Powers with 27.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: