RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

World University Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/06/15 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hehe.

I guess it depends on what your expectations are!

Canada got to the line more at the beginning of the season. It seemed that teams adjusted to her as the season wore on when they recognized that she did not have a long range shot and always tried to draw the foul. She did get Orrange in foul trouble but that didn't help them in that game Wink She did seem to have a nice little mid range shot when she could get it off.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/06/15 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
It's unfortunate this team sucks so bad that it's 2-0.

Typical discussion on RebKell; the team picked is wrong, no one is better than those left home, and the USA is going to lose soon.

And they win gold.

And you're asserting that the criticisms are invalid because the team has beaten two bad over-matched opponents? Seriously? You think that proves anything?

I apologize. This is obviously the absolute best team that could possibly have been assembled and every single player has played brilliantly. How silly of me to think otherwise. How dare anyone here on Rebkell discuss the games or the performances.

Typical dtsnms comment. I think you know better.

Never said there aren't other players that could be there. But I am saying this isn't a piece of crap team that isn't going to win the gold medal, which last time I checked, was the reason they were assembled.

Doesn't have to be the "absolute best team that could possibly have been assembled," just has to do what it's supposed to do.

And it is, just maybe not the way you or many others would like them to. And for that, on this board, by many people, not just you Art, they are being criticized.

Which I think is beyond ridiculous. It's an embarassment of riches in this country with women's basketball, and it seems people want to complain about something instead of enjoying it.

You're right about one thing, it is a typical dtsnms comment. That is, I wish people would enjoy things a little bit more and criticize a lot less.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/06/15 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sure. We might even be able to do what they're doing for the men and send some college team over and win. That's not the point. I don't think that insulates anyone from criticism.

I think that USA Basketball owes it to the players who try out and to the American public to select the best players and team, fairly and objectively.

And I wish I shared your certainty about the outcome. Bet you said the same thing about the U16 team.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/06/15 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Sure. We might even be able to do what they're doing for the men and send some college team over and win. That's not the point. I don't think that insulates anyone from criticism.

I think that USA Basketball owes it to the players who try out and to the American public to select the best players and team, fairly and objectively.

And I wish I shared your certainty about the outcome. Bet you said the same thing about the U16 team.

Nope, U16 is too young. Don't follow that age, want kids to be kids. I think it can be really creepy the way people follow that young a group of kids (not including the fans here of course, who are just that, fans).

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/06/15 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J. Canada Will Be A Solid PG. This Morning Was My First Time Seeing Her Play. I could tell she has alot to improve on but her drive and dish skills were nice. She Has Alot Of Potential.i like her game. P.S. This Erica McCall Is Playing Like A Whole New Player!!

PostPosted: 07/06/15 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure if this link has been posted on here before, I don't recall seeing it. Here is the schedule for the entire tournament with links to box scores and live scoring for games for both the men's and women's tournament.

http://www.gwangju2015.com/info/?discipline=basketball

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/06/15 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Not sure if this link has been posted on here before, I don't recall seeing it. Here is the schedule for the entire tournament with links to box scores and live scoring for games for both the men's and women's tournament.

http://www.gwangju2015.com/info/?discipline=basketball

If they can start playing better defense, they could be really good. Every player on the US had trouble with on ball defense and containing the dribble penetration. Most notably for me was in fact Jordin Canada and Jamie Weise, but I believe every US player got burned once or twice and it just kept happening all game. The help defense was pretty bad too. They cut down the turnovers big time, but for the second straight game, the defense was a major weakness.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/06/15 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently some of you have a beef with Russell.
http://www.utsports.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/070615aab.html

You got a beef with that?

PostPosted: 07/06/15 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, there's an objective source. Laughing Laughing Laughing I guess Williams's 18 pts don't count in Knoxville.

Well, she did play better than she did in the first game, although that's not a particularly high standard, and it didn't look that way at the start.

Opening tip - opponent doesn't even bother jumping, Russell tips the ball directly to Chinese player.

9:37 - Whiffs on fine pass to her in the low post, ball goes out of bounds

8:40 Bricks a shot from the free throw line, ball barely hits the bottom of the rim.

8:33 Gets completely faked and beaten, commits dumb foul.

8:15 Gets ball in low post, attempts to dribble, ball immediately stolen.

Finally, at about 7:30 gets a pass in position on a fast break, holds on to it, doesn't have to dribble, and scores the layup.

It was an inauspicious start. But she rebounded well in this game. And as I said before, when she gets a perfect pass and doesn't have to dribble, she can generally score.

The US finally took control of this game when China's best player fouled out only three minutes into the third quarter. At that point it was still a five point game.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/06/15 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/06/15 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is the next game against the Czech Republic on TV or the internet anywhere?

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/06/15 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

14 points, 15 rebounds for Russell. For this being her second competitive game in well over a year after pin placement in both feet, pretty damn good actually.

In 2013, the USA team was nearly eliminated in the semi finals by the Aussies. The Down Under Folk had the final shot, missed and Sims grabbed the defensive rebound to secure the victory. Against the Russians, it was a back and forth affair insofar as, the USA team would take a double digit lead and the Russians would cut it to five with the USA finally breaking it open in the fourth quarter and winning by 19. The USA's previous games outside the medal rounds were blow outs.

Also it was a perimeter oriented team with Hartley, Sims, Shoni Schimmel and Jordan Hooper being the featured players. Stewart played on the U-19 as did other bigs.

PostPosted: 07/06/15 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Art I couldn't find it anywhere on the ESPN networks/internet streams. If it is, would much appreciate the info.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/06/15 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Art I couldn't find it anywhere on the ESPN networks/internet streams. If it is, would much appreciate the info.

This is all I could find. Apparently ESPN is not showing the women live at least until the semi finals. It mentions also same day tape delay but not for the women. Will keep looking.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/programming/espnu-livesame-day-tape-event-schedule/
Here is another link. Same results.

http://www.locatetv.com/tv/world-university-games/8159104/episode-guide

PostPosted: 07/06/15 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dammit, Art, I had to go with what I found. To paraphrase an old WWI cartoon, if you know a better site, go to it. Facts are facts, whether you like the source or not.

PostPosted: 07/06/15 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN3 will only stream live the Bronze medal women's game

http://www.wugusa.com/espnu-espn3-to-cover-world-university-games-from-south-korea-2/

PostPosted: 07/06/15 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Dammit, Art, I had to go with what I found. To paraphrase an old WWI cartoon, if you know a better site, go to it. Facts are facts, whether you like the source or not.

Yeah they are, and I gave you facts. Detailed ones. I actually watched the game. Evidently you didn't.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/06/15 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

US leads 58-36 four minutes into the third quarter.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/06/15 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The US is shooting 60% from the floor in this game. In the first quarter they were 14 of 15.

79/46 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 07/06/15 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RUSSELL Mercedes 24:56 18 points 12 rebounds at the end of the 3rd, she is not playing in the 4th. score USA 90 - 50 still in the 4th. going to bed...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/06/15 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final 92-54.

US shot 55 %, Czechs took ten more shots but only shot 27%. It appears that explains the outcome.

Brionna Jones played less than 18 minutes but had 13 pts and led the team in rebounding with 13.

Looks like Canada's minutes dropped. Only played 18 minutes, made 1 free throw (of 2) shot 0-4 from the floor. Williams (12 pts, 6-12) and Weise (9 pts, 4-6) had the most minutes among the guards tonight.

Powers appears to have had another great game. 17 pts, 7-9 shhoting, 2-2 behind the arc, 7 rebounds.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/06/15 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boxscore for those who want to see it although I suspect DeShields did not actually grab a rebound:
http://www.gwangju2015.com/IRS/eng/bk/engbk_basketball_results_women_w400_b_05.htm

I guess that is one way to make sure we win our group.

As for no broadcast, I wonder if there are other reasons for it. The men's game is not being shown either. I wonder if some of the gyms are not equipped for broadcast. The announcers may also not be able to call that many games in that period of time since it seems to be the same two on all the USA games.

As I understand, ESPN will figure out broadcast for the knockout round games after the schedules are set.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/07/15 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mercedes with 18 & 12, Powers with 17 & 7. Excellent. Cool

PostPosted: 07/07/15 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Mercedes with 18 & 12, Powers with 17 & 7. Excellent. Cool

Brionna Jones with 13 &13 in far fewer minutes.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/07/15 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bracket for championship:
Canada/Czech Republic winner vs Russia/Taiwan winner
United States/Hungary winner vs Australia/Japan winner

sigur3

PostPosted: 07/07/15 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aerial Powers is so freaking good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: