RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SBT says Jewell Loyd to Enter WNBA Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/11/15 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
I remember my senior year when Rocket Ismael decided to leave ND early for the CFL. The immediate response on campus was along the lines of "What? This is ND. Players aren't supposed to leave early for the pros from here!"

That was twenty four years ago. You didn't see that reaction when Kyle Rudolph or Troy Niklas left early in recent years, did you?

I don't recall anyone ripping Rudolph. And the reaction to Niklas was more of "he could be a higher choice and make more money if he spent another year in college."

As I also said, it's also very rare in Women's Basketball in general with this sport, so it is more like it was 24 years ago (probably longer) in Football.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/11/15 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will be interesting to see what effect this has on future recruitment, in all of basketball, not just ND.

Will it change what positions coaches will target if they know that they have a player that can leave after 3 years?

Is that why ND is bringing in 3 guards this year, because they knew that Jewell might leave?

Will it lead to coaches 'hoarding' players in case one is eligible to leave?

Do you shy away from a player because they may leave after three years? If they are that good, do you take them and just deal with it if they do?

Will be interesting.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/12/15 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
TheLoneGranger wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
It's UConn's fault.

There you go! UCONN is the root of all evil! Very Happy

No, the love of UConn is the root of all evil...

No, the love of the hate of UConn is the...

PostPosted: 04/12/15 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Will be interesting to see what effect this has on future recruitment, in all of basketball, not just ND.

Will it change what positions coaches will target if they know that they have a player that can leave after 3 years?

Is that why ND is bringing in 3 guards this year, because they knew that Jewell might leave?

Do you shy away from a player because they may leave after three years? If they are that good, do you take them and just deal with it if they do?

Will be interesting.

Probably not much effect unless it starts happening regularly, and really it only would make sense for a very small number of players.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/12/15 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Will be interesting.

Probably not much effect unless it starts happening regularly, and really it only would make sense for a very small number of players.

Coaches might become more aware of the actual ages of their star players in the future. Wink

PostPosted: 04/13/15 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
beknighted wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Will be interesting.

Coaches might become more aware of the actual ages of their star players in the future. Wink

Perhaps. Laughing

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/13/15 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So would you rather have Jewell Loyd for three years or Madison Cable for four?

PostPosted: 04/13/15 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Which one scored the winning basket in the national semifinal last week? Wink

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/13/15 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Loyd. But when a coach's star player turns 22 years old before her senior year it should not be a total shock to the coach or the school if she decides to turn pro. A pro athlete's career is a short one. Their prime years as a pro are during their twenties.

PostPosted: 04/13/15 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just heard that Jewell will not be at the banquet Tuesday (4/14/15). Something about her going to the draft and not able to make it.

Apparently the local sports guy has tried to contact her agent, but the agent isn't returning the calls.

http://www.wsbt.com/sports/loyd-to-skip-irish-team-banquet-to-attend-wnba-draf/32353294

Shades

PostPosted: 04/14/15 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"I think it's really a bad decision for women to leave early," McGraw said referring to the women's game in general. "They are not making the money the men make. They are going to make less than $50,000 in the league. And to get your degree from a school like Notre Dame, it's just mind-boggling that anyone would choose to leave early."

Loyd was not in attendance for Tuesday night's banquet because she was attending the WNBA Rookie Orientation. The WNBA Draft is Thursday.

Meanwhile, the news is still very fresh for McGraw.

"I am definitely trying to get over this shock," McGraw concluded. "I think it's going to take a while."

http://www.wndu.com/sports/headlines/Muffet-shocked-and-numb-when-told-Loyd-was-leaving-for-WNBA-299774411.html

Art, does this sound like your coach? You better give her a stern talk.

I'm curious if McGraw will show for Loyd on draft night.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/14/15 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
"I think it's really a bad decision for women to leave early," McGraw said referring to the women's game in general. "They are not making the money the men make. They are going to make less than $50,000 in the league. And to get your degree from a school like Notre Dame, it's just mind-boggling that anyone would choose to leave early."

Loyd was not in attendance for Tuesday night's banquet because she was attending the WNBA Rookie Orientation. The WNBA Draft is Thursday.

"I am definitely trying to get over this shock," McGraw concluded. "I think it's going to take a while."

http://www.wndu.com/sports/headlines/Muffet-shocked-and-numb-when-told-Loyd-was-leaving-for-WNBA-299774411.html

Laughing

PostPosted: 04/14/15 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wsbt.com/sports/muffet-mcgraw-loyd-made-bad-decision-to-go-pro/32369432

Tells Muffet that she's leaving an hour after championship game.

Quote:
"I think I was numb. I couldn't even really talk to her about it," said McGraw. "She didn't really give us an opportunity to try to talk her out of it because the deadline was the very next day to declare. Wish we would have had time when she made that decision, which was apparently a couple weeks before."

Probably why she stunk it up during the tourney.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/14/15 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could Understand some pissed-offed-ness on the part of Muffett in this scenario. Not very All American like behavior.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/14/15 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

"I am definitely trying to get over this... shock," McGraw concluded. "I think it's going to take a while."

As ClayK mentioned a few days ago - it is $50K plus her European salary, which will be the larger of the two.

I hope that, if she doesn't now, over time Muffet looks at it as Loyd played for her for 3 good years, not as Loyd left her a year early, and that she is welcome to return and visit. When she said "I am trying to get over this... shock" I have a feeling there were other emotions besides shock she was referring to.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/14/15 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:

I don't know what your comment is supposed to be other than snide. Do you have a serious question?

I expect McGraw believes Loyd made a huge mistake and she's probably very disappointed for having been lied to. Pretty natural.

I doubt that Jewell will invite her to the draft. Probably can't look her in the face after the way she evidently lied to her about her plans.

I think it's Loyd's decision to make, but it sounds like she could have handled it better and more honestly.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/15/15 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe she could have told Muffet "Im going to declare, but then I have a few days to pull my name out and Id like to sit down with you when we get back to ND and get your thoughts." Show Muffet a little respect that way.

I cant imagine that plane ride home from Tampa!!!!!! Probably felt like they came home via Siberia!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/15/15 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Maybe she could have told Muffet "Im going to declare, but then I have a few days to pull my name out and Id like to sit down with you when we get back to ND and get your thoughts." Show Muffet a little respect that way.

I cant imagine that plane ride home from Tampa!!!!!! Probably felt like they came home via Siberia!

Most players considering this in men's sports sit down with their coach to discuss their options and prospects. Most coaches talk to contacts and get a sense of what the pro teams think about where the player will be drafted and whether the pros think they should spend another year in college improving their game.

Just a total guess, but I think this was a decision between Jewell and her mother. As I mentioned in a previous post, I find it curious that for three years I never once recall seeing Jewell's mother pointed out at a game - not even 100 miles from home in South Bend, not when playing at home at DePaul, not in a tournament game. Never once. They point out other players' parents but I don't ever recall seeing Jewell's mom at a game.

But this Spring she was at all of these tournament games, and I think was at the ACC tournament games too. It strikes me as likely that that Jewell and Mom Loyd had decided this a while ago and knew it was the last stretch of college games. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like quite a coincidence.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/15/15 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Most players considering this in men's sports sit down with their coach to discuss their options and prospects. Most coaches talk to contacts and get a sense of what the pro teams think about where the player will be drafted and whether the pros think they should spend another year in college improving their game.

You're right, of course, but the WNBA draft schedule makes that hard - players have to declare within 24 hours of their last game, and it's not like the coach really has that much time to sit and talk while the team is still in the NCAA tournament, or even during the regular season.

Also, and not irrelevant, since every MCBB player is eligible more or less the minute the college season is over, men's coaches have had good reason to plan for these conversations. It's so routine that I know of at least a couple of cases where coaches have said they've made a point telling players they were ready for the NBA, whether or not the player had reached that conclusion. It's not the same in WCBB, where very few players have a real opportunity to leave early.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/15/15 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

You're right, of course, but the WNBA draft schedule makes that hard - players have to declare within 24 hours of their last game, and it's not like the coach really has that much time to sit and talk while the team is still in the NCAA tournament, or even during the regular season.

Also, and not irrelevant, since every MCBB player is eligible more or less the minute the college season is over, men's coaches have had good reason to plan for these conversations. It's so routine that I know of at least a couple of cases where coaches have said they've made a point telling players they were ready for the NBA, whether or not the player had reached that conclusion. It's not the same in WCBB, where very few players have a real opportunity to leave early.

It was reported that they DID sit down and talk about it a couple of weeks ago. Evidently rather than getting advice or help, though, Jewell just said she absolutely was staying, which would put a quick end to that conversation.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/15/15 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

It was reported that they DID sit down and talk about it a couple of weeks ago. Evidently rather than getting advice or help, though, Jewell just said she absolutely was staying, which would put a quick end to that conversation.

I think it's fair to say that it sounds like the conversation was along the lines of Muffett asking if she was staying and her saying yes, so it's not clear whether there would have been an advice component regardless of how it went. We'll never know, of course, but I think the more general point is right - WCBB coaches don't expect to be in the role of advising players what to do and, honestly, if McGraw's comment about the money was reported accurately, it would appear that she didn't have enough information to be completely helpful if there had been a real discussion.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/15/15 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Just a total guess, but I think this was a decision between Jewell and her mother. As I mentioned in a previous post, I find it curious that for three years I never once recall seeing Jewell's mother pointed out at a game - not even 100 miles from home in South Bend, not when playing at home at DePaul, not in a tournament game. Never once. They point out other players' parents but I don't ever recall seeing Jewell's mom at a game.

But this Spring she was at all of these tournament games, and I think was at the ACC tournament games too. It strikes me as likely that that Jewell and Mom Loyd had decided this a while ago and knew it was the last stretch of college games. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like quite a coincidence.

I'm breaking rule number 1 of posting, but here goes:

As BeK mentioned, men's bball doesn't compare to women's in this.

Her mom being pointed out at games doesn't matter either. Could have been her mom's decision to not be on TV. Plus, how many other parents of freshmen and sophomores do you see on TV? Usually reserved for seniors and in a few instances, juniors. I'd see her all the time at ND games. Don't know that I really pay attention to who's parents are being shown on TV.

And here's why it really doesn't matter. Whether Jewell took Muffet's advice or not (probably not since it appears that her mind was made up and she didn't want anyone to tell her all of the reasons not to do it. You only listen if you're truly conflicted.)

Just show Muffet some respect and ask her thoughts. You don't have to listen. Just ask!

Might make you a little more welcome back on campus.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/15/15 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Wait a minute. There are rules? Nobody told me that!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/15/15 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Wait a minute. There are rules? Nobody told me that!

Sorry. Embarassed

That should be MY #1 rule.

Didn't mean to cause a panic! Embarassed

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/15/15 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess it's not surprising that Jewell's agent is also the one that Epiphany Prince used when she left Rutgers early.

http://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/notre-dame-coach-muffet-mcgraw-puzzled-by-jewell-loyd-exit/article_b9cacab6-e312-11e4-a4fa-e78df787afea.html

Quote:
A Tribune request for an interview with Loyd through her agent, Lindsay Kagawa Colas, was declined. The Tribune also contacted the WNBA communications department in an effort to arrange an interview with Loyd. The WNBA indicated that Loyd would do only one exclusive interview prior to the draft with an unspecified media outlet.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2012/12/18/3766936/wnba-players-agents-representation

Quote:
Kagawa Colas was Epiphanny Prince's agent when Prince left Rutgers after her junior year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: