RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SBT says Jewell Loyd to Enter WNBA Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/15 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

The fans of the Notre Dame men's team are not the same fans as of the woman's team. Women's basketball fans are not used to players leaving early, so will reflect on it differently.

Hmmmm. Maybe you can fill me in on what qualifies you as an expert on how Notre Dame fans will respond. It's certainly never been obvious to me at least that you have any particular connection to or affinity for Notre Dame. If I've been missing something, please let me know.

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/09/15 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SueFavor wrote:
Why all the judgement?

Why not take the facts just as they are?

Jewell Loyd did not ask any of you for your opinions on her decision.

It's very disappointing that a young lady be treated like this, after all she's done for the program. There was recently an article posted in the South Bend Tribune (which I will not link to, because it does not deserve clicks) that re-labeled Loyd's "legacy" as "a mystery who left her teammates dangling." Save that shit for the NBA, please...

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/09/15 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:
Why all the judgement?

It's very disappointing that a young lady be treated like this, after all she's done for the program. There was recently an article posted in the South Bend Tribune (which I will not link to, because it does not deserve clicks) that re-labeled Loyd's "legacy" as "a mystery who left her teammates dangling." Save that shit for the NBA, please...

Such a lovely double standard - Can you imagine anyone saying that about a men's player who stayed for 3 years before declaring for the NBA draft? Heck, some people probably would praise him for staying so long.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/09/15 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Loyd's life is not over just because she left school early. She has one year left to get her degree. She can go to any university of her choice whenever she decides to go back to school and complete her last two semesters. She can decide what year she does not want to play overseas and go to school that year. Going back to school after working for awhile is not difficult or impossible. The real difficulties of going back to college arises if a person gets married and has several children.

I agree completely (well except about the marriage part, I have no comment on that). And why is it whenever a person has finished their 4 years of athletic eligibility, but still has classes to take to graduate, no one ever says it's a bad decision to play pro, or says they don't care about getting a degree. To me there is no difference, the person is still leaving the school before they have a degree.

There is a difference in that Lloyd is forgoing a year of free school. Someone who uses all four years of their scholarship is not. They would need to get a non-degree job to pay for their final school tuition. And that non-degree job may as well be professional basketball.

But one sad fact of modern American life is that a college degree is far from a guarantee of a "degree job". There are way more graduates than jobs for which their degree prepared them. Even engineers and programmers can struggle to get jobs as companies select smarter candidates from other countries via the programs to import tech workers.

Last edited by tfan on 04/09/15 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/15 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:
Why all the judgement?

Al Lesar is a well-known clown. That's the type of trash he writes about ND, whether it's the football team, basketball team, or infrequently the WBB team. His main beat is HS sports. When he chimes in on ND it is consistantIy stupid. I wouldn't pay much attention. Most of the ND community doesn't. He's certainly not representative of how ND students or fans feel.

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/09/15 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:
Why all the judgement?

Such a lovely double standard - Can you imagine anyone saying that about a men's player who stayed for 3 years before declaring for the NBA draft? Heck, some people probably would praise him for staying so long.

That is exactly what would happen. So messed up.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/09/15 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:

The fans of the Notre Dame men's team are not the same fans as of the woman's team. Women's basketball fans are not used to players leaving early, so will reflect on it differently.

Hmmmm. Maybe you can fill me in on what qualifies you as an expert on how Notre Dame fans will respond. It's certainly never been obvious to me at least that you have any particular connection to or affinity for Notre Dame. If I've been missing something, please let me know.

Since you are all over the thread, sometimes with great umbrage, I think it would be more appropriate if you can fill us in on what qualifies you to be an expert on how Notre Dame fans will feel. You are on record as saying that someone who "turns their back on Lloyd" will be very lonely. That is, Notre Dame fans will not reflect badly on it. Do you have a particular connection to or affinity for Notre Dame. If I've been missing something, please let me know.

Last edited by tfan on 04/09/15 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/15 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Since you are all over the thread, sometimes with eye-rolling caustic diatribes, I think it would be more appropriate if you can fill us in on what qualifies you to be an expert on how Notre Dame fans will feel. You are on record as saying that someone who "turns their back on Lloyd" will be very lonely. That is, Notre Dame fans will not reflect badly on it. Do you have a particular connection to or affinity for Notre Dame. If I've been missing something, please let me know.

Yeah, if you've been paying any attention, you'd know I'm an alum, an ardent 40 year fan and contributor, and I'm certain I know a heck of a lot more people at ND and fans and other alums of ND than you do and have a lot better sense of how the ND community will respond.

Your turn.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/09/15 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Loyd's life is not over just because she left school early. She has one year left to get her degree. She can go to any university of her choice whenever she decides to go back to school and complete her last two semesters. She can decide what year she does not want to play overseas and go to school that year. Going back to school after working for awhile is not difficult or impossible. The real difficulties of going back to college arises if a person gets married and has several children.

I agree completely (well except about the marriage part, I have no comment on that). And why is it whenever a person has finished their 4 years of athletic eligibility, but still has classes to take to graduate, no one ever says it's a bad decision to play pro, or says they don't care about getting a degree. To me there is no difference, the person is still leaving the school before they have a degree.

There is a difference in that Lloyd is forgoing a year of free school. Someone who uses all four years of their scholarship is not. They would need to get a non-degree job to pay for their final school tuition. And that non-degree job may as well be professional basketball.

When you have finished your athletic eligibility, but still have not completed your academic requirements you remain on scholarship for that 5th year as long as you go to school. The only difference is one player has athletic eligibility and one player does not have athletic eligibility, both players are on scholarship as long as they maintain a 2.0 gpa and on track to graduate.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/09/15 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Yeah, if you've been paying any attention, you'd know I'm an alum, an ardent 40 year fan and contributor, and I'm certain I know a heck of a lot more people at ND and fans and other alums of ND than you do and have a lot better sense of how the ND community will respond.

Your turn.

I actually had figured you were a UConn fan. I have no affiliation with Notre Dame but I would bet Notre Dame fans are no different than average WBB fans (if you disagree, maybe you can make a case as to how they are different). I have seen how WBB fans view the athletes and it is much more as "student-athletes", versus the MBB side. And with the big age gap between the majority of the fans and the players - a generation or two- the fans can often have a "parental" or "grand-parental" feeling towards the players. So a decision about "dropping out" is not going to be viewed favorably. They aren't going to dislike her or boo Jewel Lloyd when she comes back to the arena but she has lost some luster in many of their eyes. But over time, that will fade. It is also similar to a transfer - she is leaving us. Players that transfer will typically get some negativity from fans.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/09/15 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

When you have finished your athletic eligibility, but still have not completed your academic requirements you remain on scholarship for that 5th year as long as you go to school. The only difference is one player has athletic eligibility and one player does not have athletic eligibility, both players are on scholarship as long as they maintain a 2.0 gpa and on track to graduate.

I didn't realize that athletic scholarships cover 5 years of schooling. Is that just 5 years to get a BA/BS or can they graduate in for years and use a fifth year to start a masters program? What if they play in the WNBA for the summer. Can they come back and use that fifth year of scholarship in the fall? I assume that working a typical non-WNBA summer job would not impact their fifth year.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/09/15 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:
Why all the judgement?

Ugh, that hatchet job, with its sly implications that this decision meant she didn't have her head in the game during the tournament, or that she jumped because she was afraid of being ineligible next year, wink wink, nudge nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean, fuck this guy.

I am not a fan of players leaving early, few and far between as they are, but she deserves better than that. (I have learned the hard way that once you leave scholarship-land, school is hard, and once you leave college, it's crazy hard to get your shit together and go back.)

PostPosted: 04/09/15 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

I didn't realize that athletic scholarships cover 5 years of schooling. Is that just 5 years to get a BA/BS or can they graduate in for years and use a fifth year to start a masters program? What if they play in the WNBA for the summer. Can they come back and use that fifth year of scholarship in the fall? I assume that working a typical non-WNBA summer job would not impact their fifth year.

It's typically just for your Bachelor's degree, so if you graduated in 4 years and didn't redshirt, you can't go back to school to start a Master's program and use your scholarship to pay for it. However, if you have 1 year of athletic eligibility and start your Master's degree while you are still playing your scholarship will cover the part while you are playing, and then there are way to maneuver things so they pay for your full Master's, like becoming a graduate assistant or graduate manager that 2nd year after you used up your athletic eligibility.

I do know of players who have played overseas for a couple of years and went back to finish their 5th year and their tuition was covered by their scholarship, but those players finished their 4 years of athletic eligibility. In the case of Jewell Loyd I'm not sure how it works, since she renounced her athletic eligibility, but I think NBA players like Kevin Love who left early and went back to school and the basketball team paid for it, so I think she should still be covered.

However, just like teams/coaches can take away scholarships from players on the team, the team/coach can deny the person's request, but I don't believe that to be common.

I remember reading about Octavia Blue who wanted finish her degree after she played professionally for many years and the new head coach at Miami honor Octavia's athletic scholarship so she could finish her degree.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/09/15 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:

I've talked to 5 ND season ticket holders. Two aren't happy with her, two are pretty much done with her and one I didn't really have a chance to get into it too far. I think that he'd be pretty much "whatever" with it.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/10/15 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:

I've talked to 5 ND season ticket holders. Two aren't happy with her, two are pretty much done with her and one I didn't really have a chance to get into it too far. I think that he'd be pretty much "whatever" with it.

The Notre Dame message board fans are disappointed in her decision but understand that it's her decision. (http://ndnation.com/boards/index.php?mcgraw) There are a few fans that are clearly bitter, but their comments are being challenged by many more fans. This has to be a tough time for Jewell.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/10/15 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:

I know it's not your feelings, so you may not be able to say, but what exactly does "done with her" mean?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/10/15 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:

The Notre Dame message board fans are disappointed in her decision but understand that it's her decision. (http://ndnation.com/boards/index.php?mcgraw) There are a few fans that are clearly bitter, but their comments are being challenged by many more fans. This has to be a tough time for Jewell.

Yeah, I've been reading NDNation. I'm not sure how many of those people are true, season ticket holder fans of women's basketball and how many are wagon jumpers. Don't see anything from them all season and then all of the sudden, here they are when there's controversy!

I look at the names, and some have been around forever, but most are new to me.

The "Official Link" thread only has ~10 names that are familiar, and I may have counted some twice.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/10/15 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:
Why all the judgement?

The cry of double standard here rings hollow to me. I'd be more apt to label it as such if the opportunity for WCB players to go pro early in order to make millions of dollars were equal to that of their mcb counterparts.

I think we all know there are differences between the fanbases of the two sports, one being how the players are viewed- the infamous OGS- Our Girls Syndrome.

It's no surprise some fans feel "betrayed" by Lloyd's decision.

PostPosted: 04/10/15 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:

I know it's not your feelings, so you may not be able to say, but what exactly does "done with her" mean?

I had the feeling that it meant that if she came back to a game that they wouldn't clap when the put her on the video board or go to a game of whatever WNBA team she's on. Almost like she doesn't exist anymore. The one shook his head, and did that push-away gesture with his hand as he was turning to walk away. I guess 'snub' would be another way to put it. At least that was kind of how I took it.

The two 'aren't happy' people have been going to the games for probably 20 years. The two 'done with her people' 10-12 years probably. The 'whatever' guy maybe 3-4 years.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/10/15 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
beknighted wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:
Why all the judgement?

The cry of double standard here rings hollow to me. I'd be more apt to label it as such if the opportunity for WCB players to go pro early in order to make millions of dollars were equal to that of their mcb counterparts.

I think we all know there are differences between the fanbases of the two sports, one being how the players are viewed- the infamous OGS- Our Girls Syndrome.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not surprised at all (and, honestly, I suspect you'd find that a lot of fans of the men's game felt the same way thirty years ago or whenever it was that players started leaving early for the NBA). But it is a double standard (partly embodied in OGS) nevertheless. In fact, considering how rare the opportunity is for women, it's actually worse for people to complain about it from my perspective.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/15 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You also need to distinguish between fans who are just fans of a particular team, and fans who support the team because of an affinity for the University. That distinction has always been very marked at ND. It's not like an Ohio State or Nebraska where everyone in the state feels like its "their" school whether they went there or not. ND's student and alumni community is dispersed nationwide. ND has never been the primary college sports rooting interest among most of the South Bend community. It's a town with no pro teams where having ND tickets is like my having Nats season tickets. It's entertainment. A night out. For example, when ND used to play IU annually in men's basketball, there were many season ticket holders who would show up annually in their IU gear for that game.

That's great for attendance, it's great for ticket sales, it's great for fan support at games (especially since student attendance at WBB and even MBB games at ND like many schools has been underwhelming in recent years.) But Loyd's legacy at ND and whether she joins the Ring of Honor will ultimately be decided by the university community, not by season ticket holders. I suspect many of the season ticket holders pissed off at Loyd for diminishing their entertainment are the same ones who were out of touch with the University and the athletic department and the student body with regard to the I Can't Breathe t-shirts. They said they were "done with the team" after that too. It's like Cavalier fans being pissed off that Labron jumped to Miami. If you're a supporter of Notre Dame as an institution, your reaction to Loyd's decision is likely different and more supportive than if you're just a fan of a sports team which has lost a star player.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/10/15 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Update: I heard from some people who should know that Loyd's potential income for the WNBA and Euroleague season will be at least $200,000 and more likely $250,000 -- and maybe even in the $400,000 range.

How many of you would have stayed in school for your senior year with that kind of offer on the table (and a risk of seeing it go away if something went wrong if you stayed)?

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/10/15 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
beknighted wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
SueFavor wrote:
Why all the judgement?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not surprised at all (and, honestly, I suspect you'd find that a lot of fans of the men's game felt the same way thirty years ago or whenever it was that players started leaving early for the NBA). But it is a double standard (partly embodied in OGS) nevertheless. In fact, considering how rare the opportunity is for women, it's actually worse for people to complain about it from my perspective.

The "standard" for each sport is different.

If Lloyd were the 5,000th (or whatever number the latest college-to-NBA jumper is) WCB player to do it and was then trashed by a majority of fans, I'd agree about double standards.

But it's not an equal opportunity, practice, or even fanbase, so said reaction shouldn't be construed as a double standard, imo, despite lloyd having a vagina and ovaries instead of a penis and testicles.

PostPosted: 04/10/15 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think the talk of "double standard" is the issue. There are NO standards in MCBB for the Motel 6 players. It's hard to conceive of any people less "connected to the university" than these transients, who are only there to provide sports entertainment for those afflicted by OSS (Our Sports Syndrome) while they polish their silver for NBA auction.

No one has ever suffered more fan abuse than Elena Delle Donne did from UConn fans. And all she did was transfer schools -- not go pro -- and not even to a school that was a competitive threat to UConn. Yet the hate and abuse still continue from some internet "fans".

Diana Taurasi had no basketball eligibility left, but went into the WNBA without graduating. I believe she eventually got her degree.

Finally, I don't understand people who log on to a sports opinion board and then complain about, or personally insult, other posters who are doing nothing but expressing their personal opinions on obvious topics of interest within that sport.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 04/10/15 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/15 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Update: I heard from some people who should know that Loyd's potential income for the WNBA and Euroleague season will be at least $200,000 and more likely $250,000 -- and maybe even in the $400,000 range.

How many of you would have stayed in school for your senior year with that kind of offer on the table (and a risk of seeing it go away if something went wrong if you stayed)?

Does that include endorsements? Given the hype about her this year and if she's the #1 pick by the WNBA, I would think that would mean a decent Nike contract. (Yeah, I know no women are getting a $300M Kevin Durant deal, but my understanding is that there is decent money for a very few high profile players, but that it drops off precipitously. Being the top pick is probably worth something.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: