RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SBT says Jewell Loyd to Enter WNBA Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/15 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not assuming she isn't going to get her degree, for those of you who commented. I am, however, speaking from experience in that it's harder to come back and get a degree once you have been out and working for awhile, no matter what that work is. It's hard to change focus. Been there, done that.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Stupid move, IMO, but whatever. It won't be so easy to finish school once she's done the pro thing, and apparently she hasn't yet figured out the importance of a degree. But best of luck to her anyway.

Whoa, whoa. Why the assumption she is t goi g to get her degree?

Jewell has only been at ND for 3 years, so it is VERY unlikely that she has enough credits for graduation.

ND is truly going to miss her next year. I wish Jewell the best but I really wish she had chosen to stay. I guess this is just more good news for UConn fans.

She's been on campus for three summers already. Depends on how many classes she's taken, she could be close.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/08/15 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Stupid move, IMO, but whatever. It won't be so easy to finish school once she's done the pro thing, and apparently she hasn't yet figured out the importance of a degree. But best of luck to her anyway.

Jewell has only been at ND for 3 years, so it is VERY unlikely that she has enough credits for graduation.

ND is truly going to miss her next year. I wish Jewell the best but I really wish she had chosen to stay. I guess this is just more good news for UConn fans.

She could be pretty close though, right? I thought freshmen come to college a little early in the summer to take credits and then they are on campus each summer taking a few classes. Wish she stayed in school but the common thought is she is a full year away from a degree and I'd assume she is a little closer.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/08/15 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I'm not assuming she isn't going to get her degree, for those of you who commented. I am, however, speaking from experience in that it's harder to come back and get a degree once you have been out and working for awhile, no matter what that work is. It's hard to change focus. Been there, done that.

So you are calling her decision a "stupid move" based on what exactly...

Since you apparently don't know anything about her, her graduation status, her desires, her plans for next year, how can you make such a harsh judgement on her decision. Not to mention you also said "apparently she hasn't yet figured out the importance of a degree" when you have no idea how important a degree is to her. And this decision doesn't tell you anything about how important a degree is to her.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/08/15 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

She could be pretty close though, right? I thought freshmen come to college a little early in the summer to take credits and then they are on campus each summer taking a few classes. Wish she stayed in school but the common thought is she is a full year away from a degree and I'd assume she is a little closer.

It all depends on how many classes she has taken during the summer and each semester, and if she took AP classe in high school and got college credit, that gives her a little bit of an advantage, in terms of college credits needed.

It's certainly possible she is on track to graduate in 3 1/2 years, or 3 years, though it would be a bit difficult to do being a DI athlete, but maybe she has plans to do what Natalie Achonwa did this past year, come back and help out the team in the office, in practices, at games, etc.. It's not unheard of for players who need a 5th year of school or an extra quarter or semester to go back after playing in the WNBA.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 04/08/15 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I won't judge her decision as I don't know her or what factored in to her decision. I'm just sad as a fan of women's basketball. I admire her as a player.

As I posted on another board, I sensed that Kayla Mcbride really missed playing at ND. I wonder if Jewell talked to Kayla about life as a pro in wbb.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 04/08/15 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND players don't seem too thrilled.

Look at who favorited this: https://twitter.com/dearicamarie/status/585977825653567488

Taya Reimer's tweets: https://twitter.com/busta_reimes

Wow... Wooooooow.
Dearica out here speakin the truth lol[/url]

dtrain34

PostPosted: 04/08/15 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting to see everyone falling in line with the "she's leaving early for the WNBA draft" story line.

No doubt she will play in the W, but she's leaving early to make big money in Europe. The "leaving early for the --NBA" concept is one American sports fans can easily digest.

But assuming Lloyd does value the idea of getting her degree and accounting for the cost of a year at Notre Dame, her scholarship is probably worth close to what she'll make as a WNBA rookie. Saying she's leaving for the WNBA is just a graceful way of saying "let me get over there to Russia before the sanctions break the oligarchs."

summertime blues

GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Since you apparently don't know anything about her, her graduation status, her desires, her plans for next year, how can you make such a harsh judgement on her decision. Not to mention you also said "apparently she hasn't yet figured out the importance of a degree" when you have no idea how important a degree is to her. And this decision doesn't tell you anything about how important a degree is to her.

I said it was my *opinion* and in another post which you quoted but obviously didn't bother to READ said that it was based on my *experience*. Granted, everyone's experience will not be the same but I have seen similar cases often enough that I know it to be valid for quite a number of people. I still maintain that education should come first. Sorry if you disagree. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

mikeyc22 wrote:

Look at who favorited this: https://twitter.com/dearicamarie/status/585977825653567488

Wow... Wooooooow.

I have read both tweets and I have no idea what the hell they're saying. Sad

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/08/15 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I said it was my *opinion* and in another post which you quoted but obviously didn't bother to READ said that it was based on my *experience*. Granted, everyone's experience will not be the same but I have seen similar cases often enough that I know it to be valid for quite a number of people. I still maintain that education should come first. Sorry if you disagree. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

So based on your experience you can tell if something is important to her...

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:

Wow... Wooooooow.

me too! Cool

PostPosted: 04/08/15 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
Interesting to see everyone falling in line with the "she's leaving early for the WNBA draft" story line.

No doubt she will play in the W, but she's leaving early to make big money in Europe. The "leaving early for the --NBA" concept is one American sports fans can easily digest.

But assuming Lloyd does value the idea of getting her degree and accounting for the cost of a year at Notre Dame, her scholarship is probably worth close to what she'll make as a WNBA rookie. Saying she's leaving for the WNBA is just a graceful way of saying "let me get over there to Russia before the sanctions break the oligarchs."

She wouldn't have needed to wait to do that, she could have done it a year ago or even earlier.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:

Wow... Wooooooow.

Glad I wasn't the only one. Smile

I'm thinking that she's probably not the most popular person on campus right now, if she's even on campus.

Would she just bail on the remainder of this semester and not get credit? Not even care about a degree?

dtrain34

PostPosted: 04/08/15 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She wouldn't have needed to wait to do that, she could have done it a year ago or even earlier.

Yes, I absolutely understand that. But my point is flat out saying "I'm bailing on the glory of the Golden Dome to take my talents to South Brno" sounds crass to Americans, but we all understand "leaving early for The League."

And, very likely, she wasn't ready last year anyway. Not saying she hasn't legitimately come to a fork in the road, just that the W isn't a big enough lure on its own.

loneycafe

PostPosted: 04/08/15 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked

Sorry ND. Teammates seem surprised.

Best of luck to her.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/15 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:

Yes, I absolutely understand that. But my point is flat out saying "I'm bailing on the glory of the Golden Dome to take my talents to South Brno" sounds crass to Americans, but we all understand "leaving early for The League."

And, very likely, she wasn't ready last year anyway. Not saying she hasn't legitimately come to a fork in the road, just that the W isn't a big enough lure on its own.

Her WNBA eligibility is the only thing that's changed from a year ago when she was national POY. Like Zahui, she didn't want to leave until she could play both in the US and overseas.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:

Wow... Wooooooow.

Glad I wasn't the only one. Smile

I'm thinking that she's probably not the most popular person on campus right now, if she's even on campus.

Would she just bail on the remainder of this semester and not get credit? Not even care about a degree?

The Tokoto reference was to the UNC men's player who declared today by the surprise of many. Hambys tweets and favorites seem to allude she is thinking it's surprising and not a good idea. The ND favorites and reimer tweets seem to agree. I could be wrong, just found it interesting.

Ex-Ref

Not too many happy fans.

https://www.facebook.com/ndwbb

Will be interesting to see the fan reaction when/if she comes back on campus next year. Will it be a warm welcome or will fans feel betrayed.

I"m leaning toward betrayed.

summertime blues

GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Based on your observation, I can tell that you are choosing to be willfully obtuse. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/08/15 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting.

Quote:
When asked during the Oklahoma City Elite Eight about the possibility of Loyd leaving, McGraw told ESPN, "[Loyd] did come in and say, 'You know, I know I'm allowed to leave now, but I just want to let you know that I'm not.' So we did have that conversation, which put my mind at ease. I was happy."

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/12650646/jewell-loyd-notre-dame-fighting-irish-declare-wnba-draft

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/08/15 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Not too many happy fans.

https://www.facebook.com/ndwbb

Will be interesting to see the fan reaction when/if she comes back on campus next year. Will it be a warm welcome or will fans feel betrayed.

I"m leaning toward betrayed.

Probably.

That said, when Prince left RU, most of the fans I know were disappointed, but not really mad at her. She came from a pretty tough environment, and the money was a big deal. Also, the RU team was sort of dysfunctional then, with the remaining not-so-fab-Five players having messed up the team chemistry, and there was a sense that she was struggling with trying to be a team leader on a team that wasn't really willing to be led. This is a different situation, obviously, but there was a remarkable amount of understanding in the RU fan base.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/08/15 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Based on your observation, I can tell that you are choosing to be willfully obtuse. Rolling Eyes

Right, because I'm not willing to just call a person's decision stupid and make judgments about what is important to them, that makes me slow to understand. Rolling Eyes

BTW you still haven't proven you know anything about this person you have made such harsh judgments about, and yet you stand by those judgments.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/08/15 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Loyd's life is not over just because she left school early. She has one year left to get her degree. She can go to any university of her choice whenever she decides to go back to school and complete her last two semesters. She can decide what year she does not want to play overseas and go to school that year. Going back to school after working for awhile is not difficult or impossible. The real difficulties of going back to college arises if a person gets married and has several children.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="GEF34"]
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Right, because I'm not willing to just call a person's decision stupid and make judgments about what is important to them, that makes me slow to understand. Rolling Eyes

BTW you still haven't proven you know anything about this person you have made such harsh judgments about, and yet you stand by those judgments.[/quote

You really should go sit with the other nit-pickers and debate about angels standing on the heads of pins. You don't seem to understand that saying "in my opinion, that is a stupid decision" is NOT the same as judging a person. It is merely stating one's opinion. Period. And why have you got your knickers in such a knot over someone else's opinion? Have you nothing better to occupy your mind?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: