RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches poll out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/15 2:18 pm    ::: Coaches poll out Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/2/week/4/seasontype/3

UConn unanimous at #1

South Carolina up to #3

Iowa up to #11

George Washington down to #25

Dayton, Gonzaga, and Texas in
Chattanooga, Texas A&M, and Seton Hall out

PostPosted: 04/08/15 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm. I thought Dayton would be higher than that. I guess you can only jump so far.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Halo effect I guess. Dayton gets notoriety by playing UConn so they end up eight places ahead of a team from their conference with a better record and which beat them three times. Typical. Most of the voters likely have little idea of what went on in the A10 during the season.

And why is FSU behind Tenn?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Halo effect I guess. Dayton gets notoriety by playing UConn so they end up eight places ahead of a team from their conference with a better record and which beat them three times. Typical. Most of the voters likely have little idea of what went on in the A10 during the season.

And why is FSU behind Tenn?

It's probably less to do w/ simply playing UConn as how well they played UConn. Only Stanford played CT better.

GW flamed out in R1 as the 6/11 favorite while Dayton made the regional final as a 7.

Gratuitous griping, imo.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dayton lost by 21. Your statement about them is demonstrably false. It's just that phony hype that got them their inflated ranking. Your response is nothing if not predictable. Thanks for illustrating my point so well.

GW beat Dayton 3 times. Don't try to pretend Dayton was a powerhouse. As I said, halo effect.

And BTW, the team that beat GW also beat the PAC 12 champion in the tournament.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/08/15 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The final coaches poll always tracks results in the tournament pretty closely. And, honestly, if you're trying to figure out what teams are best right now, there are a lot of worse ways to go. Like any of the polls, the final poll is a snapshot, nothing more and nothing less, and games that were won and lost in January don't have that much bearing on what voters do today.

As for Dayton, I don't really care very much, but the Flyers beat two teams ranked in the top 11 to get to UConn, and you'd expect a pretty good boost from that, especially since one of those wins was on the other team's home court.

Besides, it's the one time of the year when coaches who are voting have the most time to watch games, so for once they may actually have really informed opinions.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/15 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Besides, it's the one time of the year when coaches who are voting have the most time to watch games

Yeap. They all saw Dayton play UConn. And they have no idea what went on in the A10 the previous three months.

Halo effect.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/15 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They also saw GW play like absolute crap. And you don't know what they knew or didn't know, anything you say is pure conjecture.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Besides, it's the one time of the year when coaches who are voting have the most time to watch games

Yeap. They all saw Dayton play UConn. And they have no idea what went on in the A10 the previous three months.

Halo effect.

Or maybe it was from beating Kentucky and Louisville, both games that were featured pretty prominently, too, since they were considered big upsets at the time. One win over a (then) top ten team is an anomaly, but two looks like a pattern to a lot of people.

Truthfully, for an Elite 8 team, you could argue that they got dissed. Last year, the worst final ranking for an Elite 8 team was 10th (TAMU); in 2013, it also was 10th (Georgia); in 2012, it was 8th (Kentucky, although in fairness that year the entire Elite 8 was 1 and 2 seeds).

And, out of curiosity, where would you have placed Dayton and GW (a team that lost in the first round)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: