RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

TV ratings 6-yr low
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/10/15 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
FS02 wrote:
I don't think ESPN's coverage is to blame for the lack of ratings. I've never heard of anyone not watching some sporting event because of who is covering it. Usually, the more passionate fans are about a sport, the more critical they are of the commentary, so the people who are the most annoyed with ESPN would be the least likely to tune out!

I have to disagree with this. I'm a huge WCBB fan, and I watched a lot of games throughout the season. But I couldn't finish watching this game, and it had nothing to do with UConn's dominance or Geno's personality.

I had mentioned to one of my friends, who is a MCBB and NBA fan, that the women's championship was on that night, and later asked if he had watched it, and his reaction echoed mine..."I turned it on but I couldn't stand listening to that woman, so I changed the channel."

I cannot stand listening to Doris Burke. And yes, I could turn the sound off, but I don't think that's an acceptable solution for a national championship game in any sport. She keeps interrupting OBrien, has a horrible attitude in that she clearly wants everyone to think she knows more about WCBB than anyone else on the planet, tries to come across as a UConn insider, and her accent/diction/inflection are just grating. (Beth Mowins is the same in the latter regard, and I can't listen to her either.)

There are many broadcasters that are better, less rude, less egotistical, and less nasal, that would be more acceptable both to hardcore fans and the casual viewer. I can't see how ratings are going to increase with her as a broadcaster. Please ESPN, get Kara, or GG, or Nell Fortner, or Steph White, or any of a bunch of other people on in place of Burke, and I promise to watch the whole game next year, regardless of the teams involved.

That's an interesting perspective, I've hear of men's basketball fans who said they like her doing men's games.

While announcers rarely make me not watch a game I have to agree with those fans. Burke is one of my favorite analysts on men's games. I absolutely cannot stand her on women's games though for whatever reason.

I wish they would put Mowins on the play by play. I like her on pretty much any sport with any announcer. White in basketball obviously, but she is great with Joey Galloway on football, good with Cat Whitehill in soccer, and the absolute best announcing ever is probably her and Karch Kiraly on volleyball.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/11/15 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a 2012 article that gives the ratings of the championship game for 3 women's NCAA sports:

Basketball 3.4 rating,
Softball 1.7 rating
Volleyball 0.7 rating

The 2012 article says:

"Volleyball continues to be second only to basketball in participation – 430,000 nationally for basketball to volleyball’s 420,000. "

So the TV ratings don't show a good correlation between high school girls participation and people wanting to watch it on TV. Volleyball was a close second in participation at that time and a distant third in the ratings.

It only makes sense to me to talk about high school sports participation of girls with regard to a recent national title game dropoff if you are referring to their parents having less interest. The girls aren't going to be watching no matter what sport they are playing. They play, we watch.

While there are a number of people who say they want to watch 2 hours of "excellence" with regard to a UConn blowout, I think there are still a significant number of people who want to watch a competitive game. One in which there is still a possibility, however small, that either team could win.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/11/15 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
From Sue's link and a link therein:

"Three of the five lowest rated title games have involved the Huskies in the last six years according to SMW’s data – 2015, 2013, and 2009 respectively. On the flip side, the early days of the UConn dynasty brought big ratings to ESPN. The 2002 (UConn-Oklahoma) and 2004 (UConn-Tennessee) championship games were the most watched of the last 20 years."

So why was 2003 so low compared to 2002 and 2004?

Somebody added this telling data to Wikipedia with regard to UConn dominance and a potential removal of suspense of outcome from the tournament:

Top 7 largest point differentials accumulated over the entire tournament by tournament champion

2010 Connecticut (+214)
2013 Connecticut (+208)
2015 Connecticut (+197)
2000 Connecticut (+187)
2002 Connecticut (+161)
1982 Louisiana Tech (+158) <- 32 team tournament
2014 Connecticut (+156)

I would have guessed the 2015 or 2002 teams were the most dominant.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/11/15 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

I don't know which teams are in east Tennessee or what you specifically are considering as east Tennessee, but looking at maxpreps it appears that are a good amount of JV Volleyball teams in the state of Tennessee. And the same for the state of Virginia.

If you a)read my original post carefully, and b)knew anything about geography, you would know that east Tennessee is east of the Cumberland Plateau and is solid basketball country. Yes, there are volleyball teams in the bigger high schools and some of the smaller ones, but very few have JV teams. This is also true of much of northern VA *outside of the metro DC area*. I pointed both facts out in my original post.

I don't see anywhere in your post where you specify where east Tennessee is, that is why I said "I don't know which teams are in east Tennessee or what specifically you consider as east Tennessee". And if I knew where it was, I wouldn't have said I don't know, so really you are just pointing out the obvious.

And you said you have yet to see "ANY" high schools, and I was pointing out there are a good amount in Tennessee. And there are some in east Tennessee, not a lot, but some.

I do not know of any JV volleyball teams in east TN but would hazard a guess that if any exist, they are either in private prep schools such as Webb School in Knoxville and the ones in the Chattanooga area (whose names I have forgotten), or the high schools in the tonier suburbs of Knoxville (specifically Farragut) and Chattanooga. Most other public high schools in east TN don't have JV *anything* for one very good reason....money. Some of the bigger ones have freshman teams in their bigger sports. Smaller ones aren't likely to. And east TN is mostly made up of smaller cities and towns with consolidated or county high schools. Outside of the cities I mentioned, and the Tri-Cities area of Kingsport-Johnson City-Bristol, it's largely rural in both geography and outlook. This is your basic 3-sport area for boys (football-basketball-baseball) and 2 sport for girls (basketball and softball). Volleyball is a relative newcomer in much of the area and still not in many schools.

PostPosted: 04/11/15 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure money is a big reason why, it's not that I think you were lying, I'm sure most of the schools in the area you live or areas you know don't have a JV volleyball team because of money and lack of interest, but I was just pointing out that perhaps interests has grown a bit because there are a lot of teams in Tennessee and some of them were in the east Tennessee area.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/11/15 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
From Sue's link and a link therein:

"Three of the five lowest rated title games have involved the Huskies in the last six years according to SMW’s data – 2015, 2013, and 2009 respectively. On the flip side, the early days of the UConn dynasty brought big ratings to ESPN. The 2002 (UConn-Oklahoma) and 2004 (UConn-Tennessee) championship games were the most watched of the last 20 years."

So why was 2003 so low compared to 2002 and 2004?

Somebody added this telling data to Wikipedia with regard to UConn dominance and a potential removal of suspense of outcome from the tournament:

Top 7 largest point differentials accumulated over the entire tournament by tournament champion

2010 Connecticut (+214)
2013 Connecticut (+208)
2015 Connecticut (+197)
2000 Connecticut (+187)
2002 Connecticut (+161)
1982 Louisiana Tech (+158) <- 32 team tournament
2014 Connecticut (+156)

I would have guessed the 2015 or 2002 teams were the most dominant.

I think returning to the Fri-Sun sched (2017) is a mistake and will hinder the ratings.

Sunday night is the #1 primetime tv night overall. People already have their tv-viewing sched in place. The casual viewer is less likely to tune to ESPN for the NC, imo. Friday is the least-watched primetime slot of the week. I think Sun(pre-primetime)/Tues is the best option.

Re: vball. If it outpaces bball in ratings, I wonder if the call to lower the rims in WCB (WVB nets are lower than in MVB) will be increased.

PostPosted: 04/11/15 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If volleyball participation had not been rising nationwide for the past five years, while basketball participation was falling, it would make sense to simply describe Northern California as an outlier.

But given those steady numbers, it would seem that Northern California is more typical than eastern Tennessee.

As most know on here, I've done the national girls' basketball rankings for a variety of publications for close to 20 years, and one of the things that's become clear is that certain states/regions focus, for whatever reason, on particular sports, while others have a different participation footprint.

Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and Ohio are consistently strong in basketball (though not necessarily in terms of elite teams). Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama are not (my feeling is girls' sports just aren't that important in those areas, but I could be way wrong).

Oregon also has a very strong basketball culture, and within Northern California, the East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, etc.) has traditionally been more interested in basketball than the South Bay (San Jose).

These kinds of patterns make it harder to see what's really going on, which is why I rely on the NFHS numbers, which are nationwide.

PostPosted: 04/11/15 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
I'm sure money is a big reason why, it's not that I think you were lying, I'm sure most of the schools in the area you live or areas you know don't have a JV volleyball team because of money and lack of interest, but I was just pointing out that perhaps interests has grown a bit because there are a lot of teams in Tennessee and some of them were in the east Tennessee area.

My point was that while volleyball exists, it's very much thought of in most of the schools where they have it (other that a couple of the ones I cited), as a secondary sport, where basketball players train in the off-season. The other one is cross-country, but that's mainly for the guards. And JV *anything* is just non-existent most places.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: