RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

TV ratings 6-yr low
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 8:21 am    ::: TV ratings 6-yr low Reply Reply with quote

of the generally poorly-played, but relatively suspenseful final?

Last edited by cthskzfn on 04/09/15 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/08/15 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

still haven't found the ratings, but came across this...

The Feb. 9 Big Monday tilt showcasing then-No. 1 South Carolina
at No. 2 UConn posted a 0.7 household rating - the highest
regular-season women's game on any network in the last
three years (12/2011, UConn vs. Baylor, 0.8.

It was also the highest ESPN2 Big Monday contest in the last six years (2/2009, Tennessee vs. Oklahoma, 0.8.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The semifinals had a 1.5 overnight rating, up 7% over last year's semifinals.
I haven't seen the overnight ratings for last night's game yet.

Espn's Rachel Siegal typically tweets this info but hasn't yet.

Rachel M. Siegal@ESPNRachel

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/08/15 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TV channels tend to use whichever numbers make themselves look good. Here is what I found based on the ratings that most people who do not have special access to the full set of number that people in the industry use (which will not be the same number ESPN uses in press releases):

(first number is 18-49 ratings, expressed as a percentage, and second number is viewers of all ages)
South Carolina-Notre Dame: .5, 2.024 Million
Between games: .5, 2.251 Million
Maryland-UConn: .6, 2.395 Million
Notre Dame-UConn: .7, 3.081 Million

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/08/15 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
TV channels tend to use whichever numbers make themselves look good. Here is what I found based on the ratings that most people who do not have special access to the full set of number that people in the industry use (which will not be the same number ESPN uses in press releases):

(first number is 18-49 ratings, expressed as a percentage, and second number is viewers of all ages)
South Carolina-Notre Dame: .5, 2.024 Million
Between games: .5, 2.251 Million
Maryland-UConn: .6, 2.395 Million
Notre Dame-UConn: .7, 3.081 Million

One of the funny things about these numbers is that they're not measuring the same thing. (Not your fault, I know.) Since WCBB skews a bit older than most TV viewing, the rating numbers aren't really representative of total viewing. By that measure, Tuesday's game was by far the most-viewed program on cable.

Here's a link to the ratings numbers: How many?

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/09/15 5:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/04/womens-final-four-ratings-uconn-notre-dame-viewership-down-espn-semifinals-up-ncaa-tournament/

Tuesdays Connecticut/Notre Dame Womens NCAA Tournament National Championship Game drew 3.1 million viewers on ESPN, down 28% from the same matchup last year (4.3M) and down 4% from Connecticut/Louisville in 2013 (3.2M).

Connecticut has now played in three of the four least-watched title games on ESPN.

PostPosted: 04/09/15 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/04/womens-final-four-ratings-uconn-notre-dame-viewership-down-espn-semifinals-up-ncaa-tournament/

Tuesdays Connecticut/Notre Dame Womens NCAA Tournament National Championship Game drew 3.1 million viewers on ESPN, down 28% from the same matchup last year (4.3M) and down 4% from Connecticut/Louisville in 2013 (3.2M).

Connecticut has now played in three of the four least-watched title games on ESPN.

Told ya.

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/15 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SueFavor wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Told ya.

In my view the problem isn't UConn winning, it's the media's and especially ESPN's endless slobbering over UConn. Why the hell should anyone watch when since last September ESPN has been telling everyone incessantly that the outcome was pre-ordained and no one else had a chance? The media is WCBB's worst enemy.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/09/15 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SueFavor wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Told ya.

told who what? Smile

PostPosted: 04/09/15 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN needs to get rid of some of their announcers, or they need to retrain them. There is entirely too much fawning over UConn, particularly by Doris Burke, Dave O'Brien, and Rebecca Lobo. Debbie Antonelli is as bad about the ACC. Some of the other announcers are plain stupid and can't keep from babbling incessantly over things that have nothing to do with the game. The best commentator, for my money, is Kara Lawson, who does her best to be even-handed, and the best game broadcaster is Gail Goestenkors, who is knowledgeable and keeps her commentary on the game at hand.

PostPosted: 04/09/15 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
SueFavor wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Told ya.

told who what? Smile

Someone on another thread accused me of failing to appreciate great offense when I said I was bored with the UConn-ND match up, and wasn't planning to watch.

Many feel as I do, and the stats show it.

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 04/09/15 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that ESPN is way too Geno-centric, but I also think that, regardless, there is no suspense for general sports fans. They don't need ESPN to tell them what's going to happen. Not hard to figure out.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/09/15 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that it's a freaking Tuesday night, after the men's final, which most people consider the end of college basketball, and the start of baseball season.

It's all because of UConn and Geno.... Rolling Eyes

pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/15 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
And I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that it's a freaking Tuesday night, after the men's final, which most people consider the end of college basketball, and the start of baseball season.

It's all because of UConn and Geno.... Rolling Eyes

That wouldn't explain why it was down from last year's game, which was also on a Tuesday after the men's final.

PostPosted: 04/09/15 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think it's all because of Geno, but we've been on the Sunday-Tuesday schedule for a while, so you can't really attribute the change in ratings to the date of the game.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/09/15 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SueFavor wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
SueFavor wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Told ya.

told who what? Smile

Someone on another thread accused me of failing to appreciate great offense when I said I was bored with the UConn-ND match up, and wasn't planning to watch.

Many feel as I do, and the stats show it.

Oh ok...i had no idea what you referenced there.

i guess after UConn easily dismissed ND in last year's NC and then again in South Bend earlier this season, many thought there was little chance they'd see UConn lose Tues and lost their motivation to watch.

that's a little bit strange imo and may (or may not) be related to the reason/s WCB is (and always will be) a niche sport.

PostPosted: 04/09/15 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I used to dislike Geno a lot, but I've mellowed over the years. I think he has too. And while I wish there had been more competition this year, I did watch the championship game in hopes that it would be closer. As is frequently the case, I thought both teams played better in their semifinal games. Still, it wasn't the game so much that I found grating to the nerves, it was the incessant UConn worship by the announcers and by ESPN in general. I felt like they had anointed UConn in the beginning of the season and wouldn't hear of anything else. That just needs to STOP.

PostPosted: 04/09/15 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I used to dislike Geno a lot, but I've mellowed over the years. I think he has too. And while I wish there had been more competition this year, I did watch the championship game in hopes that it would be closer. As is frequently the case, I thought both teams played better in their semifinal games. Still, it wasn't the game so much that I found grating to the nerves, it was the incessant UConn worship by the announcers and by ESPN in general. I felt like they had anointed UConn in the beginning of the season and wouldn't hear of anything else. That just needs to STOP.

they did the same w/ griner/baylor, have all y'all forgotten? was that ok for you?

they will do it w/ any team deemed the favorite.

was the three-to-see promotion okay for you?

Personally i hate the manner in which espn presents WCB. I can't stand doris burke. i hate all the stupid star-worship crap and i don't care if it's stewart, parker, or diggins.

my question is how much of the espn star/team/coach-worship do you hate because it's been stuck on uconn since it crushed louisville in 2013?

i can believe me when i say it, but i'm not sure when uconn haters say it.

Smile

PostPosted: 04/09/15 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think ESPN's coverage is to blame for the lack of ratings. I've never heard of anyone not watching some sporting event because of who is covering it. Usually, the more passionate fans are about a sport, the more critical they are of the commentary, so the people who are the most annoyed with ESPN would be the least likely to tune out!

On the other hand, creating a perception that the championship winner was inevitable could turn some people off. But a sports network would never do that if it weren't obviously true, it'd be shooting yourself in the foot by almost guaranteeing lower ratings for no earthly reason.

PostPosted: 04/09/15 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

they did the same w/ griner/baylor, have all y'all forgotten? was that ok for you?

they will do it w/ any team deemed the favorite.

was the three-to-see promotion okay for you?

Personally i hate the manner in which espn presents WCB. I can't stand doris burke. i hate all the stupid star-worship crap and i don't care if it's stewart, parker, or diggins.

my question is how much of the espn star/team/coach-worship do you hate because it's been stuck on uconn since it crushed louisville in 2013?

i can believe me when i say it, but i'm not sure when uconn haters say it.

Smile

On Griner and Baylor, that would be a no.

On the three-to-see, that would be a big HELL NO. It was gross.

I hate Doris Burke. I don't like Rebecca Lobo, Carolyn Peck, Holly Rowe (who in hell chose that godawful dress she wore to the NC?), or a lot of the chatterers. Kevin Neghandi? Please. Eye candy, if you like the type. I like Kara and Coach G. Sue Bird might be okay if she could stay on topic, but she can't. Dave O'Brien can go away too.

PostPosted: 04/09/15 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
I agree that ESPN is way too Geno-centric, but I also think that, regardless, there is no suspense for general sports fans. They don't need ESPN to tell them what's going to happen. Not hard to figure out.

I agree. This particular year it was worse than normal in that UConn blew out their semi-final opponent and had already blown out both of their prospective finals opponents during the season. Notre Dame was missing Turner in the first game, but that might not have been well known and even so, an 18 point loss on your home court is a lot for one player to make up on a neutral court. Even one as good as Turner.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/09/15 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I don't think it's all because of Geno, but we've been on the Sunday-Tuesday schedule for a while, so you can't really attribute the change in ratings to the date of the game.

I think it would help for it to actually be the day BEFORE the guy's final. And Tuesday is a bizarro time. Do it Friday - Sunday.

And I agree about the announcers. Stephanie White is also really good. But Burke is one of the worst so how she gets 'the big one' must be determined on something other than ability and I don't even want to go there...

- Amanda Gorman
btharner

PostPosted: 04/10/15 4:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be back to Sunday in 2017.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/10/15 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sure, blame ESPN. Kill the messenger ...

The fault ... lies not in the stars ...

Or blame the announcers. Kill more messengers.

but in ourselves.

In this case, "ourselves" is the game itself.

Participation is down in girls' basketball, volleyball takes more elite athletes every year, and the system that develops players focuses almost exclusively on winning from the fifth grade on rather than refining and expanding skills.

But it's all ESPN's fault. Or Doris Burke's. Or playing the game on Tuesday.

Please ...

PostPosted: 04/10/15 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Sure, blame ESPN. Kill the messenger ...

The fault ... lies not in the stars ...

Or blame the announcers. Kill more messengers.

but in ourselves.

In this case, "ourselves" is the game itself.

Participation is down in girls' basketball, volleyball takes more elite athletes every year, and the system that develops players focuses almost exclusively on winning from the fifth grade on rather than refining and expanding skills.

But it's all ESPN's fault. Or Doris Burke's. Or playing the game on Tuesday.

Please ...

Volleyball? Maybe where you live, Clay. Not here. Not where my daughter lives either. Volleyball is a very minor sport there, although a lot of basketball players play it to get in shape. The ones who don't run cross country, that is...or play soccer....and that depends on the state and the school. Volleyball is just not the BFD you seem to think it is, here in the east.

As for the "system" you deplore, well, what I see is a different thing here, but maybe it's because of the influence of churches. There is something here called Upward Basketball that starts with the very young and teaches skills and sportsmanship, and is sponsored by churches (there's also Upward Soccer, and maybe some other sports too, but basketball predominates). Many of the kids, and the coaches too, who move on to AAU have come up through this system. The kids have learned their fundamentals, at least have a good foundation, and the coaches have learned to teach them. In Upward, winning is not the only thing. It does become important in AAU, but most of the kids still carry that background with them.

Sorry for you if you don't get that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: