RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016 Favorites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins in 2016??
UCONN
53%
 53%  [ 22 ]
Notre Dame
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
other
26%
 26%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 41

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/08/15 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don稚 think Uconn will be unbeatable next year. The loss of KML will be big Samuelson will be good, but I think both her and Collier will start there Uconn careers at the 4, leaving a bit of a void at the 3 spot. If Butler, Tuck, Stewart, Nurse, Jefferson is your starting 5, then you lose the versatility they currently have. Tennessee will be back with a superstar media darling in Deshields, and she値l lead the SEC in scoring.
ESPN Preseason All Americans
Moriah Jefferson
Breanna Stewart
Nina Davis
Tiffany Mitchell
Jewell Loyd
Morgan Tuck
Imani McGee-Stafford
A男a Wilson
Kelsey Mitchell
Diamond Deshields
Shades

PostPosted: 04/08/15 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
I don稚 think Uconn will be unbeatable next year. The loss of KML will be big Samuelson will be good, but I think both her and Collier will start there Uconn careers at the 4, leaving a bit of a void at the 3 spot. If Butler, Tuck, Stewart, Nurse, Jefferson is your starting 5, then you lose the versatility they currently have. Tennessee will be back with a superstar media darling in Deshields, and she値l lead the SEC in scoring.
Moriah Jefferson
Breanna Stewart
Nina Davis
Tiffany Mitchell
Jewell Loyd
Morgan Tuck
Imani McGee-Stafford
A男a Wilson
Kelsey Mitchell
Diamond Deshields

I'd go with Azura Stevens and Banham before Stafford.

Art is gonna be outraged that you listed Wilson before Turner.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/15 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Alphabeta order:
Baylor, Connecticut, Florida State, Maryland, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Tennessee

I agree that all these teams will be very good, but predict UConn will be the best yet again by a significant margin.

I expect UConn to be even better than this season. Stokes is no real loss; Lewis, of course, is. However, I think both Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier are more versatile players and better rebounders than KML, and Samuelson is almost as good a three-point shooter.

I'd give the starting edge to Samuelson. She won't take as many threes as KML, but that should be because she'll be in the paint and post more often and also be more often on the foul line, where KML almost never appeared.

The Huskies will have tremendous depth at the 3/4 with Morgan Tuck, Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier, De'Janae Boykin and Samuelson all competing for minutes at very high skill levels.

Saniya Chong and Courtney Ekmark, who do not have Auriemma's confidence, should seriously consider transferring to another mid-major conference, where each could be high scoring starters and potential All-Conference type players.

Stewart, Jefferson and Nurse will get even better.

Amanda Butler is a complete unknown and unknowable until she actually plays in games but, from some video evidence, she's slow afoot and not nearly the athlete that Stokes is, and hence is a likely candidate to be an end-of-bencher.

Unfortunately for the sport as a whole, I think it's highly likely that the UConn separation and domination will continue -- but there should be a very aggressive fight at the tier below, making a UConn upset more likely than this season.
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/08/15 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Moriah Jefferson
Breanna Stewart
Nina Davis
Tiffany Mitchell
Jewell Loyd
Morgan Tuck
Imani McGee-Stafford
A男a Wilson
Kelsey Mitchell
Diamond Deshields

I'd go with Azura Stevens and Banham before Stafford.

LOL I thought so to, but Wilson had the better tournament, I'd also like to add that some of the best Tennessee teams have been to give the ball to there superstar and get out the way. I think Diamond will carry the team very far but when she draws a double will her teammates be able to hit there open shots.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/15 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

ND need another guard

Why? Loyd, Allen and Mabrey are back. Cable is expected back and will almost certainly return. Johnson will have a full year in the system.

I hope the freshmen are good enough to contribute but why would you say ND "needs" one of them?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/15 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

No. The hype machine will ensure Wilson is on the preseason list. But I find your inclusion of Stevens ahead of Turner to be silly. One freshman was All ACC 1st team and ACC Rookie of the Year, and it wasn't Stevens.

And why do you feel compelled to make juvenile comments directed by name at me?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/15 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wilson had the better tournament

You must be basing that remarkable conclusion on her performance against UNC right?

Maybe you can explain how you arrived at that. Or, then again, maybe you can't.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/08/15 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ITS NATALIE BUTLER AND IM ALMOST CERTAIN SHE WONT BE AN END OF BENCHER. ID EXPECT HER TO GET MORE PT THAN STOKES DID THIS YEAR, UNFORTUNATELY.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/08/15 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee is easily a Final 4 contender. UConn and ND are 1-2 for next year but why shouldn't Tennessee be #3? DeShields led a very young UNC team to the Elite 8 and I think this Tennessee team has more talent around her. They return Mercedes Russell who at 6'6 will completely change how teams can play in the paint against UT. Jasmine Jones returns from injury, they add the MVP of the McDonald's game and then a top 10 recruit Jannah Tucker should be healthy and ready to go. That right there is a strong 3 of players who didn't play for UT last year (DeShields, Russell, Cooper) and two who barely played due to injury (Tucker, Jones). Alexa Middleton and Jaime Nared, two top recruits played a decent amount as freshmen and you would think they would be more seasoned players next year. Then they return 3 players who played a ton of minutes, Graves who can now play her natural position at the 4 with Russell back, plus Reynolds and Andraya Carter.

Maybe Tennessee won't make the Final 4 but on paper I put them 3rd going into next year. Who knows what happens with injuries and team chemistry with so many new pieces fighting more minutes and shots but those are my only concerns.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/15 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Tennessee is easily a Final 4 contender. UConn and ND are 1-2 for next year but why shouldn't Tennessee be #3? DeShields led a very young UNC team to the Elite 8 and I think this Tennessee team has more talent around her. They return Mercedes Russell who at 6'6 will completely change how teams can play in the paint against UT. Jasmine Jones returns from injury, they add the MVP of the McDonald's game and then a top 10 recruit Jannah Tucker should be healthy and ready to go. That right there is a strong 3 of players who didn't play for UT last year (DeShields, Russell, Cooper) and two who barely played due to injury (Tucker, Jones). Alexa Middleton and Jaime Nared, two top recruits played a decent amount as freshmen and you would think they would be more seasoned players next year. Then they return 3 players who played a ton of minutes, Graves who can now play her natural position at the 4 with Russell back, plus Reynolds and Andraya Carter.

Maybe Tennessee won't make the Final 4 but on paper I put them 3rd going into next year. Who knows what happens with injuries and team chemistry with so many new pieces fighting more minutes and shots but those are my only concerns.

Actually, I disagree that she had less talent around her at UNC last year than she'll have next year. That was a very talented roster.

Middleton and Nared haven't shown much. Russell's very tall but also looked very slow and didn't show much of anything last year (Mavunga was significantly better as a freshman). Cooper made (and took) a lot of shots in the McD game but if you're going to rely on that game then you need also to acknowledge she was also a total turnover machine.

I think, for example they should be considered well behind Baylor that returns proven stars in Davis and Johnson as well as most of their roster, and brings in a stellar and tall recruiting class. And has far superior coaching. And plays in a much easier conference. And I don't understand how you could put Tenn ahead of SCar which returns Mitchell, Coates and Wilson, among others. Maryland also returns nearly everyone. Maybe things will all work out for Tenn but when your ranking is based on a whole bunch of question marks who have never played a minute in a Vol uniform or are returning from injuries, annointing them a final four team ahead of more proven teams seems way premature to me. I'm definitely in a "show me" mode regarding Tenn.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/08/15 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
ITS NATALIE BUTLER AND IM ALMOST CERTAIN SHE WONT BE AN END OF BENCHER. ID EXPECT HER TO GET MORE PT THAN STOKES DID THIS YEAR, UNFORTUNATELY.

Don't you know? The high school leagues are better than the Big East. High school players are a sure thing, but someone who was fifth in the nation in rebounding and holds the Big East single season rebounding record is likely to be a bench-warmer.

PostPosted: 04/08/15 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Don't you know? The high school leagues are better than the Big East. High school players are a sure thing, but someone who was fifth in the nation in rebounding and holds the Big East single season rebounding record is likely to be a bench-warmer.

It may actually be true that Butler is "not nearly the athlete that Stokes is". But I think she'll prove to be a better basketball player.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/15 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

You must be basing that remarkable conclusion on her performance against UNC right?

BTW Turner was named to the Final Four All Tournament Team, so I guess someone thinks she had a pretty good tournament.

Still waiting on your explanation.

sammieee

PostPosted: 04/08/15 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't forget Baylor also gets Alexis Jones next year (coming off ACL injury though). But if Jones is healthy, Jones/Davis is a very strong combo. Plus they have depth and great coaching. I'm not sold on the incoming Freshman bigs though.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/08/15 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

BTW Turner was named to the Final Four All Tournament Team, so I guess someone thinks she had a pretty good tournament.

Doing a quick glance it looks like A'ja Wilson did more, comparatively based on minutes played.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/15 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Natalie. Thanks for the correction. Amanda Butler coaches the Gators and probably has no eligibility left.

So you guys think Vicky McIntyre would have gotten a lot of minutes on UConn's team this season?
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/15 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Doing a quick glance it looks like A'ja Wilson did more, comparatively based on minutes played.

The "minutes played" was her own fault. She couldn't keep herself out of foul trouble and only played 12 minutes/game vs Syr, UNC and FSU. That's not a great performance. She scored a whopping 4 pts in the UNC game. She did not have the "better tournament".

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/09/15 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

The "minutes played" was her own fault. She couldn't keep herself out of foul trouble and only played 12 minutes/game vs Syr, UNC and FSU. That's not a great performance. She scored a whopping 4 pts in the UNC game. She did not have the "better tournament".

I'm not following your foul trouble reasoning, against Florida State she had 1 foul in the 1st half and she didn't sub into the 2nd half until the 9:32 mark and she picked up her 3rd foul with 3:42 left in the game. Against North Carolina she was in and out of the line up after she picked up her 3rd foul, in fact it looks like most of her minutes in that game came after her 3rd foul.

I'm not saying she definitively had the better tournament, but just looking at the box score it could be concluded A'ja Wilson did more in fewer minutes.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/15 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I'm not following your foul trouble reasoning, against Florida State she had 1 foul in the 1st half and she didn't sub into the 2nd half until the 9:32 mark and she picked up her 3rd foul with 3:42 left in the game. Against North Carolina she was in and out of the line up after she picked up her 3rd foul, in fact it looks like most of her minutes in that game came after her 3rd foul.

I'm not saying she definitively had the better tournament, but just looking at the box score it could be concluded A'ja Wilson did more in fewer minutes.

4 pts and 2 rebounds in a game her team was trailing and was fortunate to win. Yeah. Great performance there.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/09/15 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

4 pts and 2 rebounds in a game her team was trailing and was fortunate to win. Yeah. Great performance there.

And that is related to my statement about not understanding your foul trouble reasoning in what way exactly.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/09/15 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point, I suppose in general, one could pick UConn but you never know what's gonna happen with other teams in the off season. They pick up different players. Chemistry may gel. Players buy into the system. Good days coming at the right time. Etc. So many different factors that will play into who we see in the FF next season. Based on the Huskies performance these last few years, they can't be counted out IMO.
tfan

PostPosted: 04/09/15 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Saniya Chong and Courtney Ekmark, who do not have Auriemma's confidence, should seriously consider transferring to another mid-major conference, where each could be high scoring starters and potential All-Conference type players.

Saniya Chong has a strange high school bio. She was National Player of the Year for Parade Magazine and the High School Coaches Association. She was Gatorade New York State player of the year. But she was only nominated to be one of the 24 McDonalds All-Americans (and the list of nominees is massive - appears to be around 200). And for some reason, ESPN HoopGurls had her rated as a #75 recruit. That's a huge gap between two orgs rating her #1 and another #75.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/09/15 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well a starting 5 of Allen, Mabrey, Cable, Reimer, Turner isn't a favorite to win it all now, sure hope Reimer sticks around.

I'd say it's Uconn and Tennessee at the top now.

Diamond will now be the most explosive athlete in college and Jonquel Jones most fun to watch.

Last edited by #Occasionalwnbafan on 04/09/15 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/09/15 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

See above.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/15 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well a starting 5 of Allen, Mabrey, Cable, Reimer, Turner isn't a favorite to win it all now, sure hope Reimer sticks around.

I'd say it's Uconn and Tennessee at the top now.

Diamond will now be the most explosive athlete in college and Jonquel Jones most fun to watch.

Maybe that starting lineup doesn't look so good to you right now. It's going to look a lot different by the end of the season. And don't forget the 3 recruits.

Tennessee looks good. So does Baylor. So does SC, although who is going to take over for Welch and carry them? But that's all on paper. Nothing is guaranteed and everything happens on the court. As my late ex always said, anything can happen and most generally does.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: