RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Does this Geno comment make sexual sense?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/04/15 11:58 am    ::: Does this Geno comment make sexual sense? Reply Reply with quote

"I don't coach women," the coach says. "I coach basketball players." He tells a story. He was practicing with his team before a game when the opposing team's female coach came out on the floor. "I'm telling my players how to play man-to-man defense. The other coach says: ‘You can't say that. It's person-to-person defense.' I said, ‘You're shittin' me.' She says, ‘But it's women playing it.' I say: ‘Yeah, but it's man-to-man. They're just pawns, without gender. I'm a gender-neutral coach.'"

http://deadspin.com/5895516/geno-auriemma-mr-womens-basketball

Does Geno's retort make sexual sense? Grammatical sense? Etymological sense? Discriminatory sense?

Relatedly, if you are in favor of using "person-to-person defense" when discussing or analyzing women's basketball, must you use that term when discussing or analyzing men's basketball or can you use "man-to-man" there?
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 04/04/15 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's the name of the defense. So yes, it makes sense.

PostPosted: 04/04/15 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:

In the same sense that "Redskins" is the name of the team in Washington, sure.

PostPosted: 04/04/15 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

Really, you think man-to-man is a derogatory phrase?

dtrain34

PostPosted: 04/04/15 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no problem with Geno saying women play "man-to-man" defense, I've see women roll their eyes when a coach says "person-to-person."

What he says that gets under my skin is when he incessantly refers to his players as "guys." Not "come on, you guys" but "if one of my guys does this we'll have to...." and so on.

Always makes me think he's telegraphing a submerged wish that he was having all his success with a men's program.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/04/15 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
pilight wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

It's closer to the "Lady" in Lady Vols, I guess. Bottom line, it serves to reinforce the notion that basketball is a man's game and the girls should be happy they are allowed to play.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/04/15 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:
pilight wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

It's closer to the "Lady" in Lady Vols, I guess. Bottom line, it serves to reinforce the notion that basketball is a man's game and the girls should be happy they are allowed to play.

Stunningly pedestrian.

PostPosted: 04/04/15 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
I have no problem with Geno saying women play "man-to-man" defense, I've see women roll their eyes when a coach says "person-to-person."

What he says that gets under my skin is when he incessantly refers to his players as "guys." Not "come on, you guys" but "if one of my guys does this we'll have to...." and so on.

Always makes me think he's telegraphing a submerged wish that he was having all his success with a men's program.

Oh, FFS. He's from Philly. Not Charleston or Atlanta.

PostPosted: 04/04/15 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
dtrain34 wrote:

I'm from Jersey and I know plenty of people who use guys as a generic plural. I doubt there's anything subliminal going on here.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/04/15 4:38 pm    ::: Re: Does this Geno comment make sexual sense? Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
"I don't coach women," the coach says. "I coach basketball players." He tells a story. He was practicing with his team before a game when the opposing team's female coach came out on the floor. "I'm telling my players how to play man-to-man defense. The other coach says: ‘You can't say that. It's person-to-person defense.' I said, ‘You're shittin' me.' She says, ‘But it's women playing it.' I say: ‘Yeah, but it's man-to-man. They're just pawns, without gender. I'm a gender-neutral coach.'"

Does Geno's retort make sexual sense? Grammatical sense? Etymological sense? Discriminatory sense?

Relatedly, if you are in favor of using "person-to-person defense" when discussing or analyzing women's basketball, must you use that term when discussing or analyzing men's basketball or can you use "man-to-man" there?

Much ado about nothing.

I'll take Geno teaching a man-to-man defense over a coach incapable of teaching or using a person-to-person defense.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/04/15 5:04 pm    ::: Re: Does this Geno comment make sexual sense? Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Much ado about nothing.

I'll take Geno teaching a man-to-man defense over a coach incapable of teaching or using a person-to-person defense.

Exactly. Are we going to learn good defense, whatever you call it, or just get all prissy-assed about it? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/04/15 5:31 pm    ::: Re: Does this Geno comment make sexual sense? Reply Reply with quote

Geno has always said, he's coaching Basketball Players Not Girls

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/04/15 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For years, Geno has also referred to his players as "our guys." It's odd when you think about it.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/04/15 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one has addressed the two things I had in mind in the OP.

How can anyone say they are a "gender neutral coach" when they are most definitely coaching female gender players and yet most definitely using a male gender phrase ("M-T-M"). The neutral gender phrase would be "person-to-person". If one is using M-T-M for both genders, that's not a neutral gender use of language -- it's a consistently male-centric use of language -- although it may be an acceptable usage, such as using third party masculine pronouns (he, him, his) for both genders.

I have heard coaches and announcers such as Debbie Antonelli using the P-T-P phrase in women's basketball games. For those of you who think that's more appropriate for women's basketball, do you also think P-T-P is more appropriate for men's basketball? Does it make sense to use P-T-P in women's games and M-T-M in men's games, or P-T-P for both? This is a semantic equivalency question, and it's a real issue that faces journalists and professional writers.
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/04/15 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Person-to-person is two syllables more unwieldy. Perhaps "one-to-one" defense?

I admit that I wish English had a grammatically feminine equivalent to guys- a word that can be used more casually than woman, but isn't as infantilizing as girl. (Though I've also noticed guys being used in a gender-neutral sense; my {female} manager will get the attention of the four {female} people in our department with a "Hey, guys?")

PostPosted: 04/04/15 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
dtrain34 wrote:

I'm from Jersey and I know plenty of people who use guys as a generic plural. I doubt there's anything subliminal going on here.

I am from Atlanta. I am a woman. I use guys as a generic plural and DEFINITELY roll my eyes at person to person or woman to woman defense - always have and always will. The last I checked "man" is part of the word woman and it is just the most efficient term to use.

Equality isn't about making every term gender neutral or trying to pretend we are all the same. It is more that when someone uses the term man to man it isn't intended to be derogatory and when one hears the term it isn't heard as a put down...it just is what it is...

PostPosted: 04/04/15 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I meant, TV, is that Geno is highly unlikely to use the plural of "you" that comes so naturally to those of us who have Southern parents or who have lived in the south for a long time..y'all." Of course he's going to say "you guys" and the extension of that is "my guys" and even "guys" or "hey guys" when he's trying to get their attention. Pat or Holly might refer to their players as "girls" in practice although Pat often publicly referred to hers as "young women" and Holly usually says "players", but they both say "man to man" defense.

PostPosted: 04/04/15 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
What I meant, TV, is that Geno is highly unlikely to use the plural of "you" that comes so naturally to those of us who have Southern parents or who have lived in the south for a long time..y'all." Of course he's going to say "you guys" and the extension of that is "my guys" and even "guys" or "hey guys" when he's trying to get their attention. Pat or Holly might refer to their players as "girls" in practice although Pat often publicly referred to hers as "young women" and Holly usually says "players", but they both say "man to man" defense.

Y'all is a fantastic word. I picked it up from country music and a mom who went to Nashville a lot on business, but I like it far better than youse (or, to forestall anybody from western PA, yinz). English sorely lacks, in modern proper usage, a second-person plural, and it makes me sad.

(Yes, I'm an English major, and the daughter of a man who minored in three different languages. I like words.)

PostPosted: 04/04/15 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Y'all is a fantastic word. I picked it up from country music and a mom who went to Nashville a lot on business, but I like it far better than youse (or, to forestall anybody from western PA, yinz). English sorely lacks, in modern proper usage, a second-person plural, and it makes me sad.

(Yes, I'm an English major, and the daughter of a man who minored in three different languages. I like words.)

I'm with you, Queenie. My parents were both from Missouri, although my dad's parents were really Yankees and they didn't say "y'all", but my mother grew up in the Ozarks, and although her parents were fairly proper and she was a college graduate, she'd slip now and then Wink I grew up and went to college in Wisconsin, but moved to Tennessee in 1973 and it was easy to pick it up from then on, especially talking to patients when I wanted to speak the same language they did. And you know what? I was a linguistics major at one time and I love words and languages. (I do sort of hate "you guys" but not enough to squawk about it)

PostPosted: 04/04/15 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Person-to-person is two syllables more unwieldy. Perhaps "one-to-one" defense?

I admit that I wish English had a grammatically feminine equivalent to guys- a word that can be used more casually than woman, but isn't as infantilizing as girl. (Though I've also noticed guys being used in a gender-neutral sense; my {female} manager will get the attention of the four {female} people in our department with a "Hey, guys?")

The counterpart to guy is gal. Gals and guys is an informal counterpart to ladies and gentlemen. However, gals has to some extent for some reason, taken on a negative or outdated or square connotation. It may be in large part because people tend to substitute "girl/girls" or "lady/ladies" where you would say "guy(s)" if it was males, to the extent that "gal" is the word that seems out of place.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/04/15 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks, glenn.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/05/15 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
No one has addressed the two things I had in mind in the OP.

How can anyone say they are a "gender neutral coach" when they are most definitely coaching female gender players and yet most definitely using a male gender phrase ("M-T-M"). The neutral gender phrase would be "person-to-person". If one is using M-T-M for both genders, that's not a neutral gender use of language -- it's a consistently male-centric use of language -- although it may be an acceptable usage, such as using third party masculine pronouns (he, him, his) for both genders.

I have heard coaches and announcers such as Debbie Antonelli using the P-T-P phrase in women's basketball games. For those of you who think that's more appropriate for women's basketball, do you also think P-T-P is more appropriate for men's basketball? Does it make sense to use P-T-P in women's games and M-T-M in men's games, or P-T-P for both? This is a semantic equivalency question, and it's a real issue that faces journalists and professional writers.

If you want to get technical the term "man" is not just a gender term. "Man" is often used for "mankind" and in that context refers to both male and female.

If you consider that context, then using "man to man" is gender neutral.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/05/15 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Many years ago we used to host parties during a local convention in town for people in our line of work. One of our good friends was from South Carolina. The night before our party he was hanging out with us and used "Y'All" and of course, just as a joke between friends, we had to make fun of him. Since we were in NJ, he replied with "Okay, You'se guys!"

We all started cracking up.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/05/15 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where have all the political correctors gone? It is wrong to have a team named the "Lady Vols" but right to have them play "man-to-man" defense? How fickle!

The modern term "man up" has been etymologically traced to the phrase "man-to-man defense" as that defensive phrase has been used in football games. Can a female "man up"?

Anyway, it seems (at least to me) that a basketball defense ought to have just one name regardless of the gender of the team playing it, which in fact could be a pickup team of mixed genders. Perhaps there is plurality on this site that would opt for "guy-to-guy defense" for all genders, in honor of alleged Philly lingo.

How about the neuter word "player" instead of "person"? "Player-to-player defense" is, however, a bit long and sounds a little clumsy.

Hence, why not just one word to describe the defense a la "zone defense"? It could just be "player defense". That seems simple and accurate.

So that's the proposal. Basketball should have four gender neutral defenses:

(1) player defense,
(2) zone defense,
(3) junk defense, and most often,
(4) no defense.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/15 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Where have all the political correctors gone? It is wrong to have a team named the "Lady Vols" but right to have them play "man-to-man" defense? How fickle!

The modern term "man up" has been etymologically traced to the phrase "man-to-man defense" as that defensive phrase has been used in football games. Can a female "man up"?

Anyway, it seems (at least to me) that a basketball defense ought to have just one name regardless of the gender of the team playing it, which in fact could be a pickup team of mixed genders. Perhaps there is plurality on this site that would opt for "guy-to-guy defense" for all genders, in honor of alleged Philly lingo.

How about the neuter word "player" instead of "person"? "Player-to-player defense" is, however, a bit long and sounds a little clumsy.

Hence, why not just one word to describe the defense a la "zone defense"? It could just be "player defense". That seems simple and accurate.

So that's the proposal. Basketball should have four gender neutral defenses:

(1) player defense,
(2) zone defense,
(3) junk defense, and most often,
(4) no defense.

Glenn, do you SLEEP in your lawyer suit too?????? Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: