RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA Pan American Games Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/15 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Note that Jefferson's stats were 16 shots, a whopping 3 assists, in 38 minutes. Is that the ratio of shots to assists you want from your PG? What would Geno say about that?

Yup. She played 38 minutes, had one turnover & scored 23 points on 16 shots, shooting 44% from the floor. She took a shot every 2:24 of play she was on the court. A real gunner.

Your green shamrocks are showing. LOL

Two players take 35 of the entire team's 65 shots. You think that's smart basketball or a good formula for success?

Silly me. Of course you do! As far as you're concerned it's two UConn players and a bunch of nobodies who are just taking up space and getting in the way. Your two huskies should have taken all 65 shots. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

When Weisbrod slows down her slobbering over Stewart long enough to wipe off her chin and say that's she's taking rushed and bad shots and needs to slow down (as she said in the third quarter), you know she taking reeeeeealy rushed and reeeeeealy bad shots.

I notice you conspicuously avoided the point that Jefferson doesn't play at UConn the way she played last night. She played selfish ball, not UConn ball.

linkster

PostPosted: 07/17/15 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Two players take 35 of the entire team's 65 shots. You think that's smart basketball or a good formula for success?

Silly me. Of course you do! As far as you're concerned it's two UConn players and a bunch of nobodies who are just taking up space and getting in the way. Your two huskies should have taken all 65 shots. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

When Weisbrod slows down her slobbering over Stewart long enough to wipe off her chin and say that's she's taking rushed and bad shots and needs to slow down (as she said in the third quarter), you know she taking reeeeeealy rushed and reeeeeealy bad shots.

I notice you conspicuously avoided the point that Jefferson doesn't play at UConn the way she played last night. She played selfish ball, not UConn ball.

In the first place, if you go back and actually read my posts you'll see I agreed that it's not a good thing for two players to dominate shooting:

Quote:
While I wholeheartedly agree that USA needs more than Stewart/Jefferson on offense, last night there wasn't a lot else, especially inside.

Great job Art. You ignore what I actually said, and then make a sarcastic comment mocking me for what I didn't say. Real classy.

Stewart was taking shots early in the possession because first, she was open and second, because the US wanted to get Brazil to play an uptempo transition game because the US halfcourt offense wasn't very effective. Wide open 3's are far from "bad" shots. Nor were they rushed. And while we are at it, were Loyd's 27 shots in the same 38 minutes against UConn last season as bad a bunch of "poor" "selfish" and "rushed" attempts as you claim about Jefferson's 16 shots in her 38 minutes?

As far as how Jefferson plays with UConn, your suggestion that her fear of Geno's wrath is what keeps her from shooting is ridiculous. Besides having Stewart to pass to Jefferson had both Tuck and Lewis, both of whom are light years better scoring options than any of the players she had on the court last night. But you go right ahead and blame Jefferson for Reimer's 8 points and 2 rebounds.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/15 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Wide open 3's are far from "bad" shots. Nor were they rushed. .

For you to say that, there's no point in further discussion. You're hopeless. Or you didn't even watch the game. Or both.

Enjoy tonight's game. It's already obvious that the coaches reminded Jefferson there are more all stars in the floor than just her and Stewart.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 07/17/15 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I expected, a run-away game for the USA. The Dominican Republic just doesn't have the talent nor size of Brazil or other teams. The US has a much more spread out offensive attack tonight, and look much better offensively for it, but again this isn't Brazil....

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 07/17/15 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

For you to say that, there's no point in further discussion. You're hopeless. Or you didn't even watch the game. Or both.

Enjoy tonight's game. It's already obvious that the coaches reminded Jefferson there are more all stars in the floor than just her and Stewart.

There's no selfishness in either Stewart's or Jefferson's game. They shot and scored because someone had to. Bluder gave an interview in which she said she wanted Jefferson to be offensive-minded. She was and the US won that game because of it.

All you do is complain about everything associated with USA BB. The team's not the right one, the coaches aren't coaching well, the players are selfish, etc. You're hopeless and ridiculous.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/15 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

There's no selfishness in either Stewart's or Jefferson's game. They shot and scored because someone had to. Bluder gave an interview in which she said she wanted Jefferson to be offensive-minded. She was and the US won that game because of it.

All you do is complain about everything associated with USA BB. The team's not the right one, the coaches aren't coaching well, the players are selfish, etc. You're hopeless and ridiculous.

Completely predictable. I guarantee this^^^ post would not have appeared if these two were from anywhere other than UConn. Hope you had your knee braces on.

35 of 65 shots doesn't manifest even a hint of selfishnes. Yeah. That must be it.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 07/17/15 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

27 assists tonight versus Dominican Republic, compared to only 8 - EIGHT ( 8 ) - versus Brazil. The team overall was far more active around the perimeter, passed the ball around more, and just looked more free and wide-open.

If Bluder said that, then she's not very smart. Shatori Walker was more than capable of contributing more than she was given opportunities with. Reimer could have contributed more. Alaina Coates only went 6 for 6 once they finally chose to pass her the ball. IMO, the coaching staff is learning as they go as much if not more than the players are....

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/17/15 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Coates center
Stewart at the three
Either Reimer or Mavunga at the four
Mitchell at the two
Jefferson at the point.

I think you've got it about right.

I just can't see Stewart as a wing player any where other then the AAC.

She played wing in her freshman year and sophomore year. She spent most of her time on the perimeter which is why she had an adjustment problem in the beginning of this most recent campaign when she was asked to play with her back to the basket more often than not.

I'll take face up 4 but long term Stewie will have more success as a 4/5 then a 3/4 or 4/3.

I agree, Stewie is a stretch 4. She is a post player with a guard skill set

Re: Breanna? I'd think she could play ANY position, if asked. I really think she'll be mostly a 3, bit o' 4 at the next level, no?

Kelsey Plum will be a solid contributor on this team, too, I'm certain.

Do you think Stewie can keep some of some of the wings at the pro level in front of her? and can she guard on the perimeter full time.

I think she'd function ok at the 3. She has long strides that help her in the area of lateral movement. And let's face it, the explosive 3s such as Angel McCoughtry, nobody can guard consistently. She torched NY for 32 points the other day and NY is either best or second best defensive team in the league depending on your point of view. Otherwise I think the fact that she is long and fairly mobile would serve her well playing 3. But then it depends on a lot of things like her teammates, matchups and how well she assimilates to schemes.

But I've seen her maybe 5 times. Perhaps that isn't enough to judge.

PostPosted: 07/17/15 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's Saturday's schedule (all times EDT, all games live on ESPN3):
Venezuela vs Argentina, 10:30am
Dominican Republic vs Brazil, 1:30pm
Cuba vs Canada, 6:00pm
Puerto Rico vs United States, 9:00pm

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/18/15 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Note that Jefferson's stats were 16 shots, a whopping 3 assists, in 38 minutes. Is that the ratio of shots to assists you want from your PG? What would Geno say about that?

Yup. She played 38 minutes, had one turnover & scored 23 points on 16 shots, shooting 44% from the floor. She took a shot every 2:24 of play she was on the court. A real gunner.

Your green shamrocks are showing. LOL

Actually Art she does play that way at UCONN completely unselfish as apart of one of the best passing teams in the country. She led the team in assists. In 39 games, she averages double digits in shots 21 times. The other 18 games she always played well under 30 minutes per game and in those games she often had 7-9 shots before sitting. So in the Brazil game 16 FGA is right for the player voted the best point guard in the country especially when she plays 30 plus minutes. When she played 30+ minutes against ND, she took 19 shots , against South Carolina 14 shots in 30 plus minutes. Matter of fact the least amount of shots she took when she played 30 or more was 14. So 16 shots in 38 minutes against Brazil is right on compared to shots taken at UCONN in 30 plus minutes, maybe 16 in some cases by comparison is a little light.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 07/18/15 7:44 am; edited 2 times in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/18/15 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If my numbers are wrong, sorry, but I was relying on the UConn expert who wrote previously in this thread:

PhillyCat wrote:

Jefferson has never taken 16 shots in a game in her college career and I'm sure she would prefer not to again.

Talk to him.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/18/15 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
If my numbers are wrong, sorry, but I was relying on the UConn expert who wrote previously in this thread:

PhillyCat wrote:

Jefferson has never taken 16 shots in a game in her college career and I'm sure she would prefer not to again.

Talk to him.

You! You, Art, rely on the stats of a UCONN fan. OK, no reason to doubt that, nope, no reason at all. PS, Reimer did play better. Good to see.

PostPosted: 07/18/15 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

PhillyCat wrote:

Talk to him.

You! You, Art, rely on the stats of a UCONN fan. OK, no reason to doubt that, nope, no reason at all. PS, Reimer did play better. Good to see.

Well maybe you have the time and interest to go back and read the box score of every game ever played by Jefferson, but I don't. Relying on someone who lives and breathes UConn seemed reasonable. Besides, Philly may be an unrepentant UConn homer, but his facts are usually accurate.

Regardless I think it was pretty obvious from the opening tip last night that the coaches made clear having the pg shoot 16 times is not the game plan for this all star team.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/18/15 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

PhillyCat wrote:

F

Talk to him.

Well maybe you have the time and interest to go back and read the box score of every game ever played by Jefferson, but I don't. Relying on someone who lives and breathes UConn seemed reasonable. Besides, Philly may be an unrepentant UConn homer, but his facts are usually accurate.

Regardless I think it was pretty obvious from the opening tip last night that the coaches made clear having the pg shoot 16 times is not the game plan for this all star team.

Actually it just took but a few seconds to look it up thanks to the NCAA website. I believe I posted before the game that the bigs would get more opportunities and you would see Jefferson's shots go down and Coates and Reimer have more opportunities to score. Just an adjustment to the international game and adjustment also to whom they are playing. Puerto Rico next, ranked 28th in the world. Looked it up.😊

PostPosted: 07/18/15 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

27 assists tonight versus Dominican Republic, compared to only 8 - EIGHT ( 8 ) - versus Brazil. The team overall was far more active around the perimeter, passed the ball around more, and just looked more free and wide-open.

If Bluder said that, then she's not very smart. Shatori Walker was more than capable of contributing more than she was given opportunities with. Reimer could have contributed more. Alaina Coates only went 6 for 6 once they finally chose to pass her the ball. IMO, the coaching staff is learning as they go as much if not more than the players are....

Does the difference in competition between PR and Brazil mean nothing to you? Coates was able to score against smurfs. She never showed her numbers against Brazil's tough post players.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 07/18/15 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

Completely predictable. I guarantee this^^^ post would not have appeared if these two were from anywhere other than UConn. Hope you had your knee braces on.

35 of 65 shots doesn't manifest even a hint of selfishnes. Yeah. That must be it.

You are an unrepentant Notre Dame homer who seems to be still smarting from 3 straight Final Four losses to UConn. If it were Diggins and Jewell Loyd taking those shots we wouldn't hear a peep from you.

Team USA beat Brazil because of Jefferson's and Stewart's willingness to step up and make tough shots and everyone associated with women's basketball seems to understand that but the ND fan and the SC fan.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/18/15 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

error
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/18/15 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The object of any offense is to get good shots (you can't control whether they'll go in).

From what I saw, Jefferson took good shots. Yes, the point guard wants to get others involved, but if you're getting good shots and making a higher percentage than the people you might pass to, I can't call that bad decision-making.

Presumably, opponents will adjust to take away Jefferson's open looks and drives, and again presumably, when they do that, other options will open up.

PostPosted: 07/18/15 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

You are an unrepentant Notre Dame homer who seems to be still smarting from 3 straight Final Four losses to UConn. If it were Diggins and Jewell Loyd taking those shots we wouldn't hear a peep from you.

Team USA beat Brazil because of Jefferson's and Stewart's willingness to step up and make tough shots and everyone associated with women's basketball seems to understand that but the ND fan and the SC fan.

"Unrepentant Notre Dame homer"....you just now figured that out? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/18/15 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

"Unrepentant Notre Dame homer"....you just now figured that out? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The game didn't have to be close if the pg had done her job and distributed the ball. From the opening tip Jefferson limited herself to two options - shoot, or pass to Stewart to shoot. I don't expect you you recognize the obvious. Heck, you could probably barely see the game with all the blue and white pom poms in your way.

It was good to see that from the start of game two the coaches had straightened her out.

Oh and nice to see the peanut gallery finally show up.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/18/15 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/18/15 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/18/15 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The object of any offense is to get good shots (you can't control whether they'll go in).

From what I saw, Jefferson took good shots. Yes, the point guard wants to get others involved, but if you're getting good shots and making a higher percentage than the people you might pass to, I can't call that bad decision-making.

Presumably, opponents will adjust to take away Jefferson's open looks and drives, and again presumably, when they do that, other options will open up.

You coach, right? Don't you have a game plan? Don't you expect your players to follow it? Don't you pay any attention to the advantages of working the ball inside, such as being in position for offensive rebounds and getting the opponent' s star posts into foul trouble, neither if which happens when shots are jacked from 25 in the first 5 seconds of the shot clock? Or do you just sit there and have your star take all the shots? I thought you usually decried tht type of ball.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 07/18/15 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

You coach, right? Don't you have a game plan? Don't you expect your players to follow it? Don't you pay any attention to the advantages of working the ball inside, such as being in position for offensive rebounds and getting the opponent' s star posts into foul trouble, neither if which happens when shots are jacked from 25 in the first 5 seconds of the shot clock? Or do you just sit there and have your star take all the shots? I thought you usually decried tht type of ball.

Quote from Bluder:

Quote:
Did you feel like the team played unselfishly?

I dont think we got our high-low game going as well as we have been. And we need to do that, because we are so good inside in the high-low game. And they did a good job on Alaina, but Alaina helped us on the rebounds. Even though she only had two free throws, she helped us with the rebounds along with Bre.

The US team beat Brazil 84-65 in a scrimmage just a few days earlier on the 12th, but perhaps they (Brazil) were hiding some things or didn't play their starters to maximum effort...

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/18/15 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

U.S. Leads Puerto Rico 46 to 41 at the half. Puerto Rico is displaying awesome three point shooting And receiving good play from former Longhorn Carla Cortijo.

Coates is beastin' the boards with 7 offensive rebounds and has a double double 14/10 in first half. Stewart has 10 points.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/18/15 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA V basketball's version of the Munkins. Puerto Rico has absolutely no height to contest the USA bigs. Though Puerto Rico is not going away. Scrappy, long in tooth team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: