RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA Pan American Games Team
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/31/15 3:41 pm    ::: USA Pan American Games Team Reply Reply with quote

Coaches were announced today:
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/03/us-pan-american-womens-coaches-announced.aspx

Tryouts will be in the same May 14-17 timeframe as the other two teams that will be using college players. It will be interesting to see the balance of the three rosters at the end.

awhom111

PostPosted: 05/06/15 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They are doing joint tryouts with 54 players competing for 24 spots on 2 teams (possibly supplemented by rising sophomores from the U19 pool)
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/05/15-wpag-wwug-trials-roster-announced.aspx

The breakdown is 19 rising seniors, 30 rising juniors, and 5 rising sophomores who are too old for U19s.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/17/15 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Roster for the Pan American games. How do the selections work, does this coaching staff get first dibs, then the world university games selects from the remaining pool? Any snubs or surprises?

Sophie Brunner
Alaina Coates
Caroline Coyer
Linnae Harper
Moriah Jefferson
Stephanie Mavunga
Tiffany Mitchell
Kelsey Plum
Taya Reimer
Breanna Stewart
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
Courtney B. Williams

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/17/15 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Roster for the Pan American games. How do the selections work, does this coaching staff get first dibs, then the world university games selects from the remaining pool? Any snubs or surprises?

Sophie Brunner
Alaina Coates
Caroline Coyer
Linnae Harper
Moriah Jefferson
Stephanie Mavunga
Tiffany Mitchell
Kelsey Plum
Taya Reimer
Breanna Stewart
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
Courtney B. Williams

Congrats to the players named to the team!

But I wouldn't say this team is overwhelming better than the World University Games team that this team got first dibs so to speak. Perhaps each coaching staff puts in a wish list of who they want and the divide the teams up one by one based on who is on each list.

I am a bit surprised Jillian Alleyne wasn't named to either team and maybe Allisha Gray, but other than those 2 players I wouldn't say there are any snubs that are surprising the players that were picked to both teams are very good players.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/17/15 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For clarifiaction, Courtney B. Williams plays for Texas A&M. There is a Courtney M. Williams that plays for South Florida that made the other USA Team.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/15 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How is Kelsey Mitchell not a part of Team USA? Shocked

She's the superstar of the future.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GEF34

PostPosted: 05/17/15 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

She wasn't listed on either tryout roster, maybe she was unable to attend for one reason or another. It was already announced 3 or 4 players turned down invites, she wasn't one of those that was said to have turned down, but it doesn't meant she didn't. USA Basketball doesn't make public those that were invited and turned own invites, it's only know when that person or one of the representatives announce an invite was turned down.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/17/15 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

She withdrew from trials, quite a few people turned down invites too.

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/05/15/0515-womens-trials.html

Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/15 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Shades wrote:

She withdrew from trials, quite a few people turned down invites too.

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/05/15/0515-womens-trials.html

It says she's focusing on classes during the summer. I wonder if she's trying to graduate in 3 years. Does anybody have her birthdate? I couldn't find it.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 05/17/15 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
awhom111

PostPosted: 05/17/15 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Full coverage:
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/05/15-wpag-roster-named.aspx

GEF34 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Sophie Brunner
Alaina Coates
Caroline Coyer
Linnae Harper
Moriah Jefferson
Stephanie Mavunga
Tiffany Mitchell
Kelsey Plum
Taya Reimer
Breanna Stewart
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
Courtney B. Williams

Congrats to the players named to the team!

But I wouldn't say this team is overwhelming better than the World University Games team that this team got first dibs so to speak. Perhaps each coaching staff puts in a wish list of who they want and the divide the teams up one by one based on who is on each list.

I am a bit surprised Jillian Alleyne wasn't named to either team and maybe Allisha Gray, but other than those 2 players I wouldn't say there are any snubs that are surprising the players that were picked to both teams are very good players.

It seems to me that perhaps the stronger starting 5 was given to this team and then maybe the next 5 were given to the other team? It would not make much sense to have the 12th player on one team be "better" than the best player on the other team. Of course it is easy to take the team with Stewart on it and say that it's better.

It will be interesting to see if we get to see a Nurse-Jefferson battle at some point.

I am happy that we are putting in a good effort for this tournament too. I think our group will be slightly easier, especially if Brazil is awarded an automatic bid to the Olympics (currently on hold because their federation owes money). Canada and Cuba are the strong teams in the other group.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/17/15 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

Sophie Brunner
Alaina Coates
Caroline Coyer
Linnae Harper
Moriah Jefferson
Stephanie Mavunga
Tiffany Mitchell
Kelsey Plum
Taya Reimer
Breanna Stewart
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
Courtney B. Williams

Who starts?
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 05/17/15 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coates center
Stewart at the three
Either Reimer or Mavunga at the four
Mitchell at the two
Jefferson at the point.

PostPosted: 05/17/15 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 05/17/15 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Sophie Brunner
Alaina Coates
Caroline Coyer
Linnae Harper
Moriah Jefferson
Stephanie Mavunga
Tiffany Mitchell
Kelsey Plum
Taya Reimer
Breanna Stewart
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
Courtney B. Williams

Who starts?

Mavunga
Stewart
Walker-Kimbrough/Williams
Mitchell
Jefferson
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/18/15 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

It seems to me that perhaps the stronger starting 5 was given to this team and then maybe the next 5 were given to the other team? It would not make much sense to have the 12th player on one team be "better" than the best player on the other team.

I'm not sure. The 2 biggest names on the WUG team haven't played in a year. Other than Nina Davis not sure who else would beat out anyone on the Pan Am roster.

What I don't fully understand is why one of these games would be more important than the other or why the teams shouldn't be balanced.

Are the Pan Am games used in qualifying for the Olympics?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/18/15 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Coates center
Stewart at the three
Mitchell at the two
Jefferson at the point.

I think you've got it about right.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/18/15 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The U.S. is already in the Olympics as defending champion, so that's not an issue.

In general, each year, there are two competitions: One is a world championship, and one is a Pan-American championship that serves as a qualifier for the world championships the next year.

In general, the Pan-American competition is much weaker, and even if it weren't, the top three qualify for the world championships the next year in each age group. And there are separate tryouts and team selections each year as well.

The WUG are a separate, stand-alone entity.

All three, though, serve as a valuable training ground for international play, and it gives USA Basketball an opportunity to cast a wide net and see a lot of different players in this kind of setting.

And all that said, of course, the Olympic team is entirely different, as it composed of (roughly) a 10-year span of ages, while these teams generally cover only two or three. So if you go by averages, roughly one player from each college graduating class will make the Olympics, then maybe three or four of all three of these teams this year will eventually play in the Olympics.

And we can pretty much guess who one or two of them are already.

PostPosted: 05/18/15 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Coates center
Stewart at the three
Mitchell at the two
Jefferson at the point.

I just can't see Stewart as a wing player any where other then the AAC.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/18/15 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The U.S. is already in the Olympics as defending champion, so that's not an issue.

In general, each year, there are two competitions: One is a world championship, and one is a Pan-American championship that serves as a qualifier for the world championships the next year.

In general, the Pan-American competition is much weaker, and even if it weren't, the top three qualify for the world championships the next year in each age group. And there are separate tryouts and team selections each year as well.

The WUG are a separate, stand-alone entity.

All three, though, serve as a valuable training ground for international play, and it gives USA Basketball an opportunity to cast a wide net and see a lot of different players in this kind of setting.

And all that said, of course, the Olympic team is entirely different, as it composed of (roughly) a 10-year span of ages, while these teams generally cover only two or three. So if you go by averages, roughly one player from each college graduating class will make the Olympics, then maybe three or four of all three of these teams this year will eventually play in the Olympics.

And we can pretty much guess who one or two of them are already.

So then why does it appear the PAG roster was given priority?

Are there an unusual number of top stars who chose not to play this year (starting with Turner and Mitchell)? If you're right that only one player from a class makes the Olympics, that player may not even be on these rosters.

I wonder if the recent rule changes allowing limited coaching over the summers will increase the instances of star college players taking a pass on these international games. Take classes, ease the in-season course load or graduate early, and work with your team coaches for three months, or go off and play USAB. Tough choice for a young star, especially betwen the freshman and sophmore years.

One could argue that DeShields and Russell, having missed a season, might have been better off for next season by staying home practicing with their teammates and coaches.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 05/18/15 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Pan Am games do not serve as a qualifying event for either the world championships or the Olympics. The FIBA Americas tournament, held every 2 years, is the qualifying event for both the world championships and Olympics for countries from the Americas (North, Central and South) and the Carribbean. The 2015 FIBA Americas will be held in Edmonton in August.

The Pan Am games take place every 4 years. USA BB certainly made the Pan Am team a priority coming out of the recent trials. I suspect there are a few reasons for this. First is location, the Pan Am games are across the border in Toronto vs the WUGs 13 hours ahead in Korea. Second, the US finished 7th at the 2011 Pan Am games because the games were held in October and the best collegiate players were sent instead to the WUGs in July. The best player on the USA team at the Pan Am games was Stewart who was in high school. The US last won Pan Am gold in 2007. Third, winning gold at the Pan Am games will be tougher than winning at the WUGs. Canada, which finished 5th at the WCs in Turkey, announced it will send its senior national team; Achonwa will leave the Fever to play for Canada. Brazil will likely do the same though it's not clear if de Souza and Dantas will leave their respective wnba teams. USA BB wants to make a good showing and have some of its young players experience the atmosphere in Toronto.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 05/18/15 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Coates center
Stewart at the three
Mitchell at the two
Jefferson at the point.

I just can't see Stewart as a wing player any where other then the AAC.

She played wing in her freshman year and sophomore year. She spent most of her time on the perimeter which is why she had an adjustment problem in the beginning of this most recent campaign when she was asked to play with her back to the basket more often than not.

PostPosted: 05/19/15 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Philly. USA is more worried about the Pan Am as the talk is the other teams think they can beat the US college players. That is why Stewie is on this team.

meyers77

PostPosted: 05/19/15 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

One could argue that DeShields and Russell, having missed a season, might have been better off for next season by staying home practicing with their teammates and coaches.

I would think just the opposite. They have been "practicing" with their team, DD for a whole season, I guess Russell not quite as long. Seems it would benefit them to get some "real" games under their belt before next season starts.

PostPosted: 05/19/15 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

meyers77 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I would think just the opposite. They have been "practicing" with their team, DD for a whole season, I guess Russell not quite as long. Seems it would benefit them to get some "real" games under their belt before next season starts.

I think they're going to Italy. They can get games with their teammates there. My own view is that they need the work and timing and teamwork much more.

And Russell hasn't been playing much at all. She should be in Knoxville working her ass off to get into playing condition.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/19/15 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Art, for the last time, she has BEEN working her ass off all this past year getting into shape. The basic reason she redshirted was not that she was completely hobbled up, but that Holly and the staff felt she wasn't up to speed. She has worked hard all year and been practicing with the team, as has been pointed out numerous times.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: