RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Annual WBB "Lack of Parity" article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taropatch

PostPosted: 03/27/15 2:01 am    ::: The Annual WBB "Lack of Parity" article Reply Reply with quote

Yeah we are all familiar with this problem of blowouts in the women's side but the NY Times had to write one up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/25/sports/ncaabasketball/womens-ncaa-tournament-is-no-place-for-underdogs-to-thrive.html?_r=1

Last edited by taropatch on 03/27/15 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/15 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like an odd time for this article, considering there have been relatively few blowouts this year.

PostPosted: 03/27/15 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Seems like an odd time for this article, considering there have been relatively few blowouts this year.

I really miss Harvey Araton's coverage of women's basketball. He was knowledgeable and loved the game. Jonathan Czyupryn writes like he had made up his mind before he touched his keyboard. My comment on the NYT article: Carol Anne Seattle 2 days ago 5 recommendations:

There have been half a dozen upsets already in the women's tournament. There is far more parity than when I became a fan, 30 long years ago. I counted mentions of UConn in this article and found 10. Tennessee got just one. Let's not forget that the Lady Vols have won eight national championships. UConn has won nine, just one more than Tennessee.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/27/15 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Simple solution- reduce the field to 32.

Albany Region R1 may have looked like this:

PU @ CT- presumed higher seed double-digit win
DAY @ KY- lower seed wins close
LOU @ USF- higher seed wins close
TEX @ CAL- lower seed wins close

R1 becomes more interesting.

2 less days of basketball per year will improve the tournament vastly, imo.

PostPosted: 03/27/15 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

You would do away with auto bids?

PostPosted: 03/27/15 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's particularly funny coming just before the Kentucky-WVU debacle in the men's tournament.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/15 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It comes back to the plodding style of the men's game. They play slowly and reduce the number of possessions, which makes for more close games and more upsets. Not counting the play-ins there have been zero games in the men's tournament in which both teams scored 80+ points. The women have four, involving seven different teams. In the first two rounds (again not counting play-ins) men's teams have scored 70+ points 38% of the time (36/96). Women's teams have done so 51% of the time (49/96). Men have scored under 60 points 27% of the time (26/96) compared to 25% for women (24/96).

PostPosted: 03/27/15 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

You would do away with auto bids?

Some of them. I would eliminate auto-bids from the weakest conf.s (using an as-of-now undeveloped system) and institute a women's version of the play-in.

Auto bids may go to the top several conf.'s top-2 teams, as decided by the conf. tourn. winner as well as the reg.season winner. If this should be the same team, the bid will fall to the conf tourn. runner-up.

So let's say the top 10 conf get a total of 20ish auto-bids, which leaves
~22 conf.s to vie for the remaining 12ish spots. I may deem some of these conf.s unworthy of competing. Smile It would be a fluid system. Very Happy I like the idea of awarding some conf.'s Reg Season champ even if it doesn't win the conf. tourn.

PostPosted: 03/27/15 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As i think more about it....give a max of 10 auto bids to the P5.

So that leaves at least 22 "quasi" at-large.

Some of the lesser conf.'s tourn winner would qualify, then there would be at-large bids.

PostPosted: 03/28/15 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's funny. ESPN ran a show recently about how Princeton's near-miss against Georgetown years ago saved the auto-bids and the anticipation of upsets that men's March Madness brings. This board is often besotted with threads seeking ways to "grow" the game.

And a major solution offered here is to acknowledge the lack of parity, kill the long-range potential for someday having men's-style upsets in the women's bracket and go to a 32-teamer including all the usual suspects.

Here's a couple things from the depths of the mid-major mountain time zone auto qualifiers: Boise State hung tough against Tennessee for virtually the entire game as a 15 seed. New Mexico State was "awarded" a 16 seed from the WAC -- something no committee free to exclude the WAC would have done after last season's champion Idaho turned its 14-seed into a mattress-soiling 40-point loss to Louisville. The Aggies didn't come close to winning, but fell by a typical Big 10 margin to top-seeded Maryland, 75-57, after forcing 20 turnovers, staying within 10 for most of the game and showing its backcourt was competitive with the Terps.

Those are the kind of results that show "growth" toward "parity" but let's just kill that baby in its crib and let the P5 have an even higher percentage of the bids, right? Makes (no) sense to me.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/28/15 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't change the format. So they is an opening round of games where some teams have a really easy go of it. Who cares? The round of 32 gets more interesting quickly, and many teams consider making the big dance to be the pinnacle of their season. Why take that away?

I expect blowouts in round 1; just consider it a time for highly regarded teams to flex their muscles before they actually get tested. It builds up the suspense a bit. Growing the women's game will involve growing pains. It's just part of the process.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/28/15 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YAWWWWWWWN. This article is so predictable I don't know why anyone bothers to read it, let alone post it. In fact, I wonder why anyone bothers to WRITE it. It's the usual excuse to trash WBB just one more time. Go away already.

PostPosted: 03/29/15 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
It's funny. ESPN ran a show recently about how Princeton's near-miss against Georgetown years ago saved the auto-bids and the anticipation of upsets that men's March Madness brings. This board is often besotted with threads seeking ways to "grow" the game.

And a major solution offered here is to acknowledge the lack of parity, kill the long-range potential for someday having men's-style upsets in the women's bracket and go to a 32-teamer including all the usual suspects.

Here's a couple things from the depths of the mid-major mountain time zone auto qualifiers: Boise State hung tough against Tennessee for virtually the entire game as a 15 seed. New Mexico State was "awarded" a 16 seed from the WAC -- something no committee free to exclude the WAC would have done after last season's champion Idaho turned its 14-seed into a mattress-soiling 40-point loss to Louisville. The Aggies didn't come close to winning, but fell by a typical Big 10 margin to top-seeded Maryland, 75-57, after forcing 20 turnovers, staying within 10 for most of the game and showing its backcourt was competitive with the Terps.

Those are the kind of results that show "growth" toward "parity" but let's just kill that baby in its crib and let the P5 have an even higher percentage of the bids, right? Makes (no) sense to me.

Is it possible your disgust is w/the selection process used to produce the field?

For example, the eyeball test easily would rank Dayton higher than Louisville, imo. After a month of the season, I don't know why Lou was ranked as high as it was.

What if the P5 were limited to a max of 2 teams, leaving 22 open slots?

Conversely, why not increase the field and make that crib big enough to hold a twin? More teams and more potential upsets to hasten the "growth" toward "parity"?

I'm not championing the reduction of the field, even though it's clear the talent pool doesn't warrant 64 teams. Imo, both womens' and mens' fields should be 48.

The women used 48 teams from '89-93. 12 teams each region. #s 1-4 were given a bye then played the winners of 8/9, 7/10, 6/11, 5/12 respectively.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: