RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA upset with law that allows denial of service to gays
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 04/02/15 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
I'm going to wait to see if this actually gets a majority in the legislature.

One interesting question is what the Democrats will do. They ought to vote for it, but it may be that they'll make the Republicans come up with a majority for it on their own to drive home the political point.

They said it will be passed and signed today. We'll see, but it was negotiated among the Gov and GOP leaders in both houses and business leaders so I assume it's a done deal. NCAA, IU, Lily, and others have already come out congratulating them. They obviously know it's done or they wouldn't have risked embarassing themselves.

BTW, the Dem former Indy mayor came out in support. The Dems would squander their high road if they don't support this but the GOP probably doesn't need their support to pass it.

In Congress, a deal negotiated by GOP leaders might not get enough GOP votes to pass these days, so I'll retain some skepticism about whether they'll all support it (or even enough will support it to get through without Democratic votes). I noticed from the news reports that the Dems were not included in the negotiations and that they have said they're considering whether this language is good enough.

That's nice, but that doesn't typically happen in state legislatures, and in fact the "fix" bill has already been passed by both houses and is just awaiting the governor's signature. The House passed the changes with a 66-30 vote, and it passed the Senate 34-16.

http://www.wthr.com/story/28698272/clock-is-ticking-on-rfra-clarification-at-indiana-statehouse

I'm glad it passed.

That said, I'm pretty familiar with the state legislatures in two states - Virginia and New Jersey - and the assumption that the legislative leaders can dictate votes, particularly on social issues, is not true in either state, so I am disinclined to make that assumption elsewhere.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/04/15 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Idiot asshole mayor of Tampa has been lobbying for the NCAA to bring 2016 Women's Final Four to Tampa instead of Indy. Actually sent Emmert a letter asking him to relocate it from Indy to Tampa.

Quote:
"Sports teach us dedication, fair play, and teamwork," he wrote. "It teaches us that we should judge others for their talents and who they are, instead of, where they come from, what they look like, or who they love."

"Whether they were to choose to come here or not, I wanted the NCAA to know that they had options around the country," Buckhorn said. "It's unfair, it's wrong and I think as a country we're beyond that and we can't tolerate that."

I didn't know that it was possible to be a bigger idiot asshole than Pence, but apparently this guy has raised the bar.

Quote:
This year's Final Four site, in Florida, also has a "religious freedom" bill in place with no specific protections against LGBT people.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/tournament/2015/story/_/id/12619169/is-indiana-religious-freedom-law-fix-enough

He really needs to clean his own house first or they may be in jeopardy of losing their 2019 Women's Final Four! Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: