RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#13 Cal St Northridge vs #4 Stanford - 3/21/15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/20/15 9:11 pm    ::: #13 Cal St Northridge vs #4 Stanford - 3/21/15 Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Tournament - Round 1
Stanford, CA - 6:30 PM ET
TV: ESPN2

Video:
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id/2417244/NCAA-Women

Live stats:
http://www.cstv.com/gametracker/launch/gt_wbaskbl.html?event=1420061&school=nw&sport=wbaskbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/15 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This "national" game starts with both teams looking pretty sloppy. Confused

PostPosted: 03/21/15 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are 2 old Big East teams playing an 8/9 game and AAC USF playing LSU and yet we are being shown Stanford in CT?

CompSci87

PostPosted: 03/21/15 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CSUN didn't get the memo to guard Bonnie at the 3 point line at all times.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 03/21/15 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford looking dreadful. Uggggh.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 03/21/15 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never forget.

UConn lost to this Stanford team!

lynxmania

PostPosted: 03/21/15 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CS North leads 29-28 at half

PostPosted: 03/21/15 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jason Flowers is a former UCLA men's basketball player and he's proving he's a really good coach. Wonder how he'd do at a more high profile program where he could get more elite recruits into his program. Stanford will win this game in the second half, but CSUN is fundamentally strong and that's why they are in the lead.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/21/15 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The rest of the bracket should feel good that a team that is capable of playing like Stanford has in the first half has actually beaten UConn.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 03/21/15 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After falling behind 36-30 Stanford finally woke up. Up 53-40 now with free throws coming. Greenfield leading scorer.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/15 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#4 for CSUN looks enough like Taurasi to be her little sister.

PostPosted: 03/21/15 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
Jason Flowers is a former UCLA men's basketball player and he's proving he's a really good coach. Wonder how he'd do at a more high profile program where he could get more elite recruits into his program. Stanford will win this game in the second half, but CSUN is fundamentally strong and that's why they are in the lead.

I don't see him going anywhere given his Southern California roots, it's basically all his kids know and his wife is the head coach for the softball team at Cal State Northridge, so it's not like she can just pick up and leave whenever she wants. I can see him finishing out his career at Cal State Northridge and maybe even building up the program to the same heights Mark French got UC Santa Barbara too, or maybe even high because he is a very good coach, and he is already getting talented players to commit to Cal State Northridge.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/21/15 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

atmosphere was fun but ouch, just ouch. If I'm Oklahoma, I'm licking my lips to get at this dysfunctional (at times) Tree team. Now I have to think that OU won't be shooting lights out in every game, but certainly if they do, and we don't find our game, it will be sad.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/22/15 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
AJMMs wrote:

I don't see him going anywhere given his Southern California roots, it's basically all his kids know and his wife is the head coach for the softball team at Cal State Northridge, so it's not like she can just pick up and leave whenever she wants. I can see him finishing out his career at Cal State Northridge and maybe even building up the program to the same heights Mark French got UC Santa Barbara too, or maybe even high because he is a very good coach, and he is already getting talented players to commit to Cal State Northridge.

THIS is my argument for Kenny Brooks staying at JMU. And probably a lot of coaches staying at a lot of other places Smile

PostPosted: 03/22/15 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Painful offense to watch. More and more reminds me of old Rutgers ball. great defense, one on one offense but not entertaining basketball. Tara should really adopt an offensive scheme similar to the Spurs. They will also see the 1-3-1 v. okie. Let's hope 4th times the charm since Stanford looked virtually clueless against Cal when Cal played that zone.

Tournament Taylor was in full effect on offense today but that was a Regular Season Taylor on Defense illustrated by that one fast break layup from Northridge's tiny guard that Taylor was well ahead of. Does she a) take a charge, (b ) challenge the shot, or (c) jump out of the way. Who picks (c)? Only someone in foul trouble usually.

Amber needs to wake up. Not sure if finals got the best of her but they will need offensive output from her the rest of the way. good defense though. Will come in handy against OU guards. someone needs to teach Stanford post how to play one on one defense in the post. northridge post who are not good were just shooting freely without so much as a hand in their face in the first half. McCall is a good athlete but she is either clueless defensively one on one or Amy really does not bother teaching them even basic stuff like putting their hands straight up, or challenging or blocking a shot with the correct hand to avoid fouls by going across their body. And they are forever allowing themselves to be sealed in the post instead of 3/4 defending. It's crazy.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/22/15 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

THIS is my argument for Kenny Brooks staying at JMU. And probably a lot of coaches staying at a lot of other places Smile

Is Brooks's wife also a coach at JMU? Didn't know that,

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/22/15 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't know about that, but all the rest applies. His roots are here. I suspect he would just as soon stay here.

PostPosted: 03/22/15 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Don't know about that, but all the rest applies. His roots are here. I suspect he would just as soon stay here.

I think a lot of people underestimate how important being in the right place is. Somebody like Brooks, or Flowers, might only leave for a BCS job in that region (a la Graves). For example, when USC inevitably wearies of Cynthia Cooper, that's a place I can see Flowers ending up, if he wants to take a shot at it. Or if Brooks ever thinks Virginia is going to get serious. (I've seen a similar situation with Tony Bozzella going from Iona to Seton Hall. I suspect hell will freeze over before Bozzella willingly leaves the Hall.)

Yes, yes, money. I know people will bring that up. But I suspect that the differentials are not as life-changingly huge as we might think from the outside.

PostPosted: 03/22/15 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You nailed it, Queenie.

PostPosted: 03/22/15 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I think a lot of people underestimate how important being in the right place is. Somebody like Brooks, or Flowers, might only leave for a BCS job in that region (a la Graves). For example, when USC inevitably wearies of Cynthia Cooper, that's a place I can see Flowers ending up, if he wants to take a shot at it.

"Inevitably" cant come soon enough.

LaLafan

PostPosted: 03/23/15 2:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Queenie wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I think a lot of people underestimate how important being in the right place is. Somebody like Brooks, or Flowers, might only leave for a BCS job in that region (a la Graves). For example, when USC inevitably wearies of Cynthia Cooper, that's a place I can see Flowers ending up, if he wants to take a shot at it.

Why are people so down on Coop? She just won the PAC-12 tourney last year. That's quick success.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/23/15 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LaLafan wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
Queenie wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Why are people so down on Coop? She just won the PAC-12 tourney last year. That's quick success.

Three schools, two NCAA run-ins. One pro job, one history of verbal abuse. She's going to either commit a violation or she's going to go psycho on the wrong player(s).

I always thought she and USC were a match made in the pits of hell.

PostPosted: 03/23/15 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
LaLafan wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
Queenie wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Three schools, two NCAA run-ins. One pro job, one history of verbal abuse. She's going to either commit a violation or she's going to go psycho on the wrong player(s).

I always thought she and USC were a match made in the pits of hell.

It will be interesting to see how her career develops at USC, given her history with the program and desires to work there, maybe more than her desires to work at the other places she coached.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/23/15 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LaLafan wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
Queenie wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Sort of quick success. It also obscures the overall record. USC was not a shoo-in to make the tournament last year before their conference tournament run. This year, the team finished 15-15 and with a losing record in the conference. The last two coaches only had one losing conference season between them, yet both were fired.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: