RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Turnaround at Pitt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/22/15 11:05 am    ::: Turnaround at Pitt Reply Reply with quote

Pitt has undergone a truly miraculous turnaround under Suzie McConnell-Serio.

Pitt's last two years in the BE they went 0-16 in conference. The last year they also had OOC losses to the likes of Youngstown St, Rider, And Lafayette.

Last year they went 3-13 in the ACC. This year they were projected to finish last in the conference.

Instead they are 20-11, 9-7 in the conference, with wins over Michigan, Ohio St, Miami, NCSt, and Chattanooga, and are moving on to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. They have one of the very best point guards in the country, a four year volletball player at forward, and a freshman who had a double double yesterday.

I'm hard pressed to recall as big a turnaround. Semrau will win them, but I'm not convinced McConnell-Serio doesn't deserve the COY awards.

Oh, and she's building for the future. From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

The University of Pittsburgh signed five players to its 2015 women's basketball recruiting class today.

The Panthers added forward Kauai Bradley (Chicago, Ill.), Tania Lamb (Los Angeles, Calif.), Kalista Walters (Reading, Pa.) and local products Cassidy Walsh (Seton-LaSalle) and Brenna Wise (Vincentian Academy).

Bradley, Walters and Wise are forwards, and Lamb and Walsh are guards.

“We are very excited about signing this group of talented players who will impact our program in so many ways,” coach Suzie McConnell-Serio said in a statement. “Each one has been extremely successful in high school and brings a winning mentality, having competed in conference titles and state championships."

The class was rated No. 31 nationally by espnW HoopGurlz and No. 22 by Prospectsnation.com.

And1

PostPosted: 03/23/15 11:47 am    ::: Re: Turnaround at Pitt Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Pitt has undergone a truly miraculous turnaround under Suzie McConnell-Serio.

Pitt's last two years in the BE they went 0-16 in conference. The last year they also had OOC losses to the likes of Youngstown St, Rider, And Lafayette.

Last year they went 3-13 in the ACC. This year they were projected to finish last in the conference.

Instead they are 20-11, 9-7 in the conference, with wins over Michigan, Ohio St, Miami, NCSt, and Chattanooga, and are moving on to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. They have one of the very best point guards in the country, a four year volletball player at forward, and a freshman who had a double double yesterday.

I'm hard pressed to recall as big a turnaround. Semrau will win them, but I'm not convinced McConnell-Serio doesn't deserve the COY awards.

Oh, and she's building for the future. From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

The University of Pittsburgh signed five players to its 2015 women's basketball recruiting class today.

The Panthers added forward Kauai Bradley (Chicago, Ill.), Tania Lamb (Los Angeles, Calif.), Kalista Walters (Reading, Pa.) and local products Cassidy Walsh (Seton-LaSalle) and Brenna Wise (Vincentian Academy).

Bradley, Walters and Wise are forwards, and Lamb and Walsh are guards.

“We are very excited about signing this group of talented players who will impact our program in so many ways,” coach Suzie McConnell-Serio said in a statement. “Each one has been extremely successful in high school and brings a winning mentality, having competed in conference titles and state championships."

The class was rated No. 31 nationally by espnW HoopGurlz and No. 22 by Prospectsnation.com.

Nice turnaround for Pitt, and I'm not surprised. I've always been impressed with McConnell-Serio. She is a class act. However, all of those recruits are 3-star, so I guess we'll have to see how that works out for Pitt versus more elite programs in the ACC who are pulling in 4- and 5-star recruits.

norwester

PostPosted: 03/23/15 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a great story. And I'm impressed to see a woman who can show great success on both a professional and college level, since that's really a mix of different talents to coach at the different levels. I like Pitt. It's good to see them on a solid path.

PostPosted: 03/23/15 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It really is good to see. I don't reckon anyone will be stealing their coach anytime soon. Unless she *wants* to leave, that is!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: