RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Katie Lou Samuelson named Gatorade POY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ridor

PostPosted: 04/16/15 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction. But that was it for Stewie. The last two years of her "conference" play is absolutely crap. So will it be for KLS. I guess KLS is so excited about playing Houston & Memphis. Har har.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 04/16/15 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Thanks for the correction. But that was it for Stewie. The last two years of her "conference" play is absolutely crap. So will it be for KLS. I guess KLS is so excited about playing Houston & Memphis. Har har.

Ridor your post lacks logic or common sense or research.

Lets just say UConn was in a different conference. What would the results be and how competitive would those games be?

In 2014/15
vs the ACC UConn beat Duke by 31 and ND by 18 and 10. Would games vs Miami, NC, and Wake or VA be closer or competitive?

vs the Big10 UConn beat Md by 23 and Rutgers by 36. Would games vs OSU, Ill, NW, Neb.or PennSt be closer or competitive?

vs the Big 12 Uconn beat Texas by 51. A game vs Baylor might be close but UConn would crush Okla or any other team in the Big 12

vs the SEC UConn beat South Carolina by 25 and Vandy by 39. Would games vs Tenn, LSU or TxAM be closer or competitive?

vs the Big East UConn beat DePaul by 36 Creighton by 36 and St Johns by 16. Would games vs Seton Hall or Villanova be close or competitive?

Right now there is no conference, that if UConn were placed in, would there be any competitive games vs any team but ND.

Katie Lou is going to the best team out there.
Its not her fault that the competition isnt good enough to give her team a game. I am sure she will get over not playing a "competitive conference game" during her career. The question is will you?

ridor

PostPosted: 04/16/15 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What? You can't compare the teams for other teams. It is not the same as play strong teams in same conference every game in and out. Playing 1 or 2 ACC teams does not mean that you can survive 18 games per year. Nice try, you will survive 18 games in the AAC but I doubt you would survive 18 games year in and out in any Power 5 conference!!

linkster

PostPosted: 04/16/15 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
What? You can't compare the teams for other teams. It is not the same as play strong teams in same conference every game in and out. Playing 1 or 2 ACC teams does not mean that you can survive 18 games per year. Nice try, you will survive 18 games in the AAC but I doubt you would survive 18 games year in and out in any Power 5 conference!!

Quote:
It is not the same as play strong teams in same conference every game in and out

First, I in no way am suggesting that the AAC has equivalent competition to any of the P5 conferences. However it is a incredible stretch to say that there are 18 tough games or strong teams in any conference. Once you get past the top 3-4 teams in any of the 5 so-called power conferences of wcbb there is little competition. The fact that a team like, say, Tenn trails at the half to some of their weak conference foes is more a criticism of their consistency than a testament to the conference strength. One need only to look at the number of teams that get to the S16 to see that the vast bulk of the P5 teams offer little competition to the top 4 or 5 teams in the country.

And unless I'm mistaken, in 1995, when UConn won their 1st NC, only one other BE team even made the tournament. That was 20 years ago and the BE prospered after then, along with UConn.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/16/15 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

Now why would you devote so much energy and venom to this silly spitefulness, aimed at some kid who's done nothing to you? Frankly, it wouldn't matter if UConn had to play in the Blind Midget League....if they can win The Big Prize (....and do so repeatedly!), then their conference season is a moot point. Katie & Co. are all bright enough to realize what their conference is, and what it ISN'T. That her decision doesn't please you is hardly reason to troll UConn fans here.

Bitter isn't a good color on you, Ridor. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/16/15 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is pointless to argue line by line. My point is that the AAC is nowhere close to any P5 conference. It is not attractive. Surely YOU and I *KNOW* that UConn is that good. Let's get THAT out of the way for now. I"m always amused to see people trying to justify that UConn would dominate any P5 conference just because they beat 1 or 2 teams from ACC, B10, B12, Pac-12 or SEC. Most fans from P5 knew that in order to go undefeated in any P5 conference, one has to build an endurance to play many great, good & average teams along with 1 or 2 bad teams throughout the SEASON in order to go undefeated. You CAN see that UConn is not "unbeatable" team, they are BEATABLE team - look at their games against Dayton & Notre Dame. The AAC is so weak and it is NOT preparing UConn well for tough games. IN fact, UConn seems to barely prepared in dealing with teams who has nothing to lose - why? Because the AAC teams are not preparing them well. Geno knew it. When they played Notre Dame & South Carolina during the non-conference clash, you can see that UConn is PUMPED to play them because they NEEDED that kind of games MORE than South Carolina or Notre Dame does. Both teams can easily shut UConn out and start ... play each other instead. What will UConn do next? Ask Texas to play? Of course!!

Now, in the ACC, Notre Dame may not play many teams that is on same caliber like UConn but ND is not playing Houston, Memphis, Southern Methodist, East Carolina, Tulsa and Central Florida. They are playing teams that has "history" in this sport. UNC, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami, Louisville, Wake Forest and NC State - every team has their own brand & history. It is tough to prepare each team for each game, you let down your hair down, BOOM - someone will beat you. But in the AAC? UConn can afford to let their hair down for 17 games out of 18. That stretch is going to hurt UConn in the long run. Geno knew it. That's why he is scrambling trying to keep the Top 5 clashes. Geno needed it more than we do. In fact, Geno desperately needed Muffet more than she does for him.

And if you want to portray me as bitter, then be my guest. You still missed the point. The truth is: The AAC is going to be your Achilles Heel. When UConn was getting better, you claimed that Big East was crap - it was not exactly true. They used to have Providence & St. John's who seemed to rule BE for a while, -Hell, Providence & Georgetown did advance to Sweet Sixteen before UConn reached the national spotlight. Then BE acquired Virginia Tech, Miami, Notre Dame, Louisville & Rutgers - all of them had their brands & history before joining the BE - so when they joined, of course they boosted the BE before it fell apart! So you can't say that UConn helped the BE. In fact, the BE also helped UConn in other ways.

R-

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/17/15 6:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ridor wrote:

Now why would you devote so much energy and venom to this silly spitefulness, aimed at some kid who's done nothing to you? Frankly, it wouldn't matter if UConn had to play in the Blind Midget League....if they can win The Big Prize (....and do so repeatedly!), then their conference season is a moot point. Katie & Co. are all bright enough to realize what their conference is, and what it ISN'T. That her decision doesn't please you is hardly reason to troll UConn fans here.

Bitter isn't a good color on you, Ridor. Rolling Eyes

When it comes to UConn, it's the only color I can remember, and that was years ago.

W/ 5 CT NCs in the last 7 yrs, s/he is beside her/himself.

A joy to see.

PostPosted: 04/17/15 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
No sane ACC team will allow UConn to join in the ACC. I hope you fade into obscurity as soon as can be. You folks deserved it and more. My point is that Breanna Stewart can claim that her first year at UConn, she played a ranked team in her "conference" and that was Rutgers & Louisville. Breanna may graduate from UConn without experiencing any real conference rival. Her "real conference rival" these days is South Florida. Lack of any real conference rival will minimize UConn players just like it did to Louisiana Tech, restricting to ... what? Fresno State. And I look forward to see that UConn having its own conference rival in ... Southern Methodist. That would be hilarious and poetic justice. Now what I'm trying to say that KLS will never experience a real conference rival in the AAC. Well, she asked for it.

Afraid of the competition I guess.

PostPosted: 04/17/15 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Then so be it. I'm OK with it.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/17/15 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn not being in the ACC has more do with them not bringing anything to the table in college football, Boston College, and some other ACC schools blocking them from joining the ACC as payback from UConn suing BC, VT, etc to prevent them from leaving the Big East than the ACC being scared of them because of WBB.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/15 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We seem to have drifted off the topic of the best high school shooter-scorer since Elena Delle Donne into a Lincoln-Douglas debate about the Old Big East and the AAC.

The primary reason the OBE eventually became the best WCBB conference subsequent to UConn's 1995 national championship is that there were realignment influxes of several very good teams into the OBE during the period from 1995 to 2005. These included Rutgers, West Virgina, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, DePaul, Louisville and South Florida.

Live by the realignment sword. Die by it.

All of the WCBB teams that formed or entered the OBE in the 20th century -- and three of the five that entered in 2005 -- avoided ending up in the weak AAC except for one: UConn. I attribute that mostly to ineffective leadership, perception and planning by the office of the Athletic Director, one in particular.

Being in a mid-major conference rather than the OBE should eventually take some sort of toll on the recruiting for various of UConn's sports teams, but it hasn't yet for women's basketball in the very short term. It didn't affect the Lourantula, but will it deter Mo'ne Mo'ne?
Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/17/15 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="GlennMacGrady"]We seem to have drifted off the topic of the best high school shooter-scorer since Elena Delle Donne into a Lincoln-Douglas debate about the Old Big East and the AAC.

All of the WCBB teams that formed or entered the OBE in the 20th century -- and three of the five that entered in 2005 -- avoided ending up in the weak AAC except for one: UConn. I attribute that mostly to ineffective leadership, perception and planning by the office of the Athletic Director, one in particular.

I thought it was a lack of a decent football program that kept them out of a major conference and the fact of not being Catholic that prevented them from staying in the BE.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/15 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:

I thought it was a lack of a decent football program that kept them out of a major conference and the fact of not being Catholic that prevented them from staying in the BE.

It was the delusion of wanting to be a football school that kept them from staying in the BE. Butler isn't Catholic, by the way.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/17/15 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
UConn not being in the ACC has more do with them not bringing anything to the table in college football, Boston College, and some other ACC schools blocking them from joining the ACC as payback from UConn suing BC, VT, etc to prevent them from leaving the Big East than the ACC being scared of them because of WBB.

No shit dick tracy, as they say. Cool

PostPosted: 04/17/15 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:

It was the delusion of wanting to be a football school that kept them from staying in the BE. Butler isn't Catholic, by the way.

I wonder if you describe every state university that upgraded to D-1 football that way? Or is this typical ArtBest piss and vinegar reserved for UConn, home of the current 3-peat and overall 10-time WCB National Champions?

PostPosted: 04/17/15 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:

I wonder if you describe every state university that upgraded to D-1 football that way? Or is this typical ArtBest piss and vinegar reserved for UConn, home of the current 3-peat and overall 10-time WCB National Champions?

They have not succeeded, have they? Homyonkel referred to it as a "lack of a decent football program." Do you disagree? And yet that football program is the reason they couldn't stay in the BE. It had nothing to do with not being Catholic.

UConn's premier programs have been basketball. I can't think of another school, state or private, that placed its showpiece programs in such a position out of a dream of being a football powerhouse, can you? And seriously, what school in New England has had a really succesful football program in the last 70 years or so? How likely do you consider it that UConn will break that trend? Did you read the post I was replying to or is this just reflexive lashing out on your part?

linkster

PostPosted: 04/17/15 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:

They have not succeeded, have they? Homyonkel referred to it as a "lack of a decent football program." Do you disagree? And yet that football program is the reason they couldn't stay in the BE. It had nothing to do with not being Catholic.

UConn's premier programs have been basketball. I can't think of another school, state or private, that placed its showpiece programs in such a position out of a dream of being a football powerhouse, can you? And seriously, what school in New England has had a really succesful football program in the last 70 years or so? How likely do you consider it that UConn will break that trend? Did you read the post I was replying to or is this just reflexive lashing out on your part?

There are many many schools in the P5 conferences that have never nor will ever be considered "football powerhouses". While admission to one of the P5 would require a viable football program, it is much more important that a school can fill a stadium and add to the conference TV market than that they win even one game.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/15 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:

There are many many schools in the P5 conferences that have never nor will ever be considered "football powerhouses". While admission to one of the P5 would require a viable football program, it is much more important that a school can fill a stadium and add to the conference TV market than that they win even one game.

But all of those schools have had those football programs for many decades. And some of them don't fill stadiums. But none of them put their good basketball programs at risk out of some desire to become a football school in a part of the country that hasn't supported football schools. So I really don't see any similarity or understand the comparison you're trying to make. And this discussion was about why UConn isn't in the BE which makes the comparison particularly pointless. But as usual your reflexes are fine.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/17/15 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:

ArtBest straw dogs:

"dream of being a football powerhouse".
"what school in New England has had a really succesful football program in the last 70 years"
"How likely do you consider it that UConn will break that trend?"

Replace lashing out w/ calling out and you're spot on.

UConn's current position has less to do w/ "delusional" football aspirations than a fucked-up NCAA conference musical chairs situation which is motivated by the greed for football TV $$$.

I wonder if ND has dreams of being a football powerhouse someday.

PostPosted: 04/17/15 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's what I figured. This was all in response to a UConn fan who posted "I thought it was a lack of a decent football program that kept them out of a major conference and the fact of not being Catholic that prevented them from staying in the BE." but you don't care, you're happy just taking soundbites out of context because you're just trolling. Lame effort on your part.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/17/15 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

But all of those schools have had those football programs for many decades. And some of them don't fill stadiums. But none of them put their good basketball programs at risk out of some desire to become a football school in a part of the country that hasn't supported football schools. So I really don't see any similarity or understand the comparison you're trying to make. And this discussion was about why UConn isn't in the BE which makes the comparison particularly pointless. But as usual your reflexes are fine.

Well, Syracuse and BC managed to enter P5 conferences, and as you yourself have said, they haven't had a successful football program in 70 years, right?

I don't see that UConn has risked anything. If UConn hadn't made football a priority the BE was the only alternative to the AAC. There is a number of men's BB programs in the AAC with highly competitive BB programs.

As for the women, I don't see how staying in the BE would improve UConn's level of competition much. At best it would have maintained some traditional rivals, none of whom ever had much success playing the Huskies so I use the term "rivalry" only in a figurative sense.

As long as Geno remains the coach and UConn continues to be the best conduit for elite players to the WNBA, UConn will continue remain near or at the top of wcbb, irrespective of Ridor's fondest wishes.

Frankly, with the information coming out about lifelong health risks associated with football all it would take to put football into a tailspin is for corporate america to decide not to be associated with a sport that leads to late-life debilitating handicaps to such a high percentage of it's players. Just because football is at the top of the mountain today is no guarantee that the sport will stay there indefinitely.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/17/15 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
That's what I figured. This was all in response to a UConn fan who posted "I thought it was a lack of a decent football program that kept them out of a major conference and the fact of not being Catholic that prevented them from staying in the BE." but you don't care, you're happy just taking soundbites out of context because you're just trolling. Lame effort on your part.

..and the AB diversionary tactic surfaces...

ArtBest straw dogs:

"dream of being a football powerhouse".
"what school in New England has had a really succesful football program in the last 70 years"
"How likely do you consider it that UConn will break that trend?"

Replace lashing out w/ calling out a troll and you're spot on.

PostPosted: 04/17/15 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

David4632, of course I know that. Duh!!!! I guess I have UConn to thank for - they sucked in football and it becomes its own worst enemy. LOL.

ArtBest, you said New England did not have a great collegiate football in 70 years. I think you're ignoring Boston College. Boston College had a great run in 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and 2000s.

R-

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/15 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Well, Syracuse and BC managed to enter P5 conferences, and as you yourself have said, they haven't had a successful football program in 70 years, right?

I don't see that UConn has risked anything. If UConn hadn't made football a priority the BE was the only alternative to the AAC. There is a number of men's BB programs in the AAC with highly competitive BB programs.

As for the women, I don't see how staying in the BE would improve UConn's level of competition much. At best it would have maintained some traditional rivals, none of whom ever had much success playing the Huskies so I use the term "rivalry" only in a figurative sense.

As long as Geno remains the coach and UConn continues to be the best conduit for elite players to the WNBA, UConn will continue remain near or at the top of wcbb, irrespective of Ridor's fondest wishes.

Frankly, with the information coming out about lifelong health risks associated with football all it would take to put football into a tailspin is for corporate america to decide not to be associated with a sport that leads to late-life debilitating handicaps to such a high percentage of it's players. Just because football is at the top of the mountain today is no guarantee that the sport will stay there indefinitely.

Look at a map. Syracuse isn't in New England. And BC has never won anything and their attendance stinks. But they've been playing football since 1892.

And it was your fellow UConn fan, not me, who raised the BE. Bitch at him if you don't like it.

And everyone posting here will be dead and gone long before football surrenders its position. Is "football is dying" your latest wishful thinking?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/15 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As we were all just saying . . . in kumbaya agreement . . . Katie Lou is the best player in high school, unless it's Napheesa Collier or Megan Walker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: