RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Katie Lou Samuelson named Gatorade POY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammieee

PostPosted: 04/13/15 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was to young to see Taurasi at high school, but got to see Gemelos a lot her junior year. I would rate Gemelos higher (and people said Taurasi was better). While MD has won the Nike TOC, they have never won State or the Open division.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/13/15 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like a good replacement for Mosqueda-Lewis. Loves to bomb from 3 and looks an awful lot like her sister Bonnie when she shoots.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/14/15 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Looks like a good replacement for Mosqueda-Lewis. Loves to bomb from 3 and looks an awful lot like her sister Bonnie when she shoots.

Interesting, I watched a few videos of her shooting and I don't think her shoot looks that similarly to Bonnie. I think Karlie, the middle sister, looks more like Bonnie's than Katie Lou's. I think of the 3 sister's Katie Lou's shot looks the most traditional.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/14/15 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Lou will have a better Freshman camping if she plays more as a face up 4, I'm not sure she'll have the foot speed to guard a shooting guard, maybe not even a wing. Her nickname is "lourantula" she'll be a fun player to watch next year for sure.
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/14/15 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diana Taurasi played for a middling team, not a recruiting powerhouse like Mater Dei, so that's a tough comparison -- but I'd take DT, who was more versatile as a high school player.

Jacki Gemelos, not so much. Great, great high school player but KLS, as a scorer, is slightly better. Gemelos, though, was a better passer,

PostPosted: 04/14/15 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Interesting, I watched a few videos of her shooting and I don't think her shoot looks that similarly to Bonnie. I think Karlie, the middle sister, looks more like Bonnie's than Katie Lou's. I think of the 3 sister's Katie Lou's shot looks the most traditional.

Just to be clear, I am only talking about their 3-point shot. I haven't seen much of either so easily could be wrong, but both are tall and seem to be taking more of a set shot from 3 versus the way Jennifer Lacy shoots it. Katie Lou Samuelson does jump to some extent, when she shoots it. I can't recall if Bonnie does that any, or at all.

Last edited by tfan on 04/14/15 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/14/15 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KLS is more athletic than Gemelos and EDD in HS, Genos words not mine but I do agree with him. If you haven't watched her over her career you have no clue what she can do as she is very unselfish and does whatever the team needs be it shooting which she has a very quick long range release (nothing like her sisters so you clearly haven't watched her) and can pull up any where to shoot it and that's at 6' 3. She also can post up and take defenders to the hoop, she is deceptively quick and has great footwork.

DT played a different role and is a PG in my opinion and is the best to ever play the game but KLS is actually a great passer and can see and read defenses well beyond her years. For Mater Dei she had to score as they were very limited in that area.

It will be fun watching Geno use both Stewie and KLS. No more double teams!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/14/15 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nicely produced and informative video about KLS and Mater Dei, with comments from coach Kevin Kiernan. Everyone confirms her nickname as: The LOURANTULA.

Watch her spider spin move from the arc line at 2:22. She can do this with either hand.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TP85aDtHW9E?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/14/15 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen KLS since she was a freshman and I saw EDD numerous times, and I would say EDD is the better athlete.

And Geno isn't exactly an unbiased observer here.

Still, they're both really, really good and any coach at any level would be happy to have either one.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/14/15 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this kid really the best HS player in America?

PostPosted: 04/14/15 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Just to be clear, I am only talking about their 3-point shot. I haven't seen much of either so easily could be wrong, but both are tall and seem to be taking more of a set shot from 3 versus the way Jennifer Lacy shoots it. Katie Lou Samuelson does jump to some extent, when she shoots it. I can't recall if Bonnie does that any, or at all.

Yes I knew you were talking about the 3 point shot. When Bonnie shoots 3s it looks like she flings the ball from in front of her face, Katie Lou doesn't do that. As you can see from the video posted by GlennMacGrady Katie Lou releases the ball as she is in the air. The middle sister Karlie shoots like a combination of Bonnie and Katie Lou, but she doesn't fling it arm as much as Bonnie does. Perhaps Karlie is the sister you are thinking of when you say Katie Lou shoots like her sister.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/15/15 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's never Katie. It's Katie Lou or just Lou. -- Says Lou.

Watch the Lourantula ambidexterity on drives and post moves.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G4Cf-vW2jj4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ridor

PostPosted: 04/15/15 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I felt sorry for KLS. She has to play for a team who will play Top 25 teams during the non-conference schedule but none during the conference season - I guess she's excited to play Houston, Southern Methodist, Tulsa, Tulane, Central Florida, East Carolina and Memphis for next 4 years.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/15/15 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I felt sorry for KLS. She has to play for a team who will play Top 25 teams during the non-conference schedule but none during the conference season - I guess she's excited to play Houston, Southern Methodist, Tulsa, Tulane, Central Florida, East Carolina and Memphis for next 4 years.

With the very real prospect of winning a NC in her freshman year, making the FF numerous times and probably multiple NC's. Yeah, feel real sorry for her. Guess there are a lot of players who don't want that. Wink

PostPosted: 04/15/15 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

And she'll improve under Geno's coaching, and, as with any college that is particularly strong in a particular field of study, be set to launch a career after college in basketball, which will, barring disaster, net her millions of dollars by the time she's 30.

PostPosted: 04/15/15 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not talking about winning natties, attending Final Fours and all that. I'm talking about playing in conference that is pretty weak. It reminds me of Louisiana Tech being stuck in American South. That is my point, Clay and Olfandpoet2.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/15/15 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

This will prove to be false.

The AAC is weak, but it's not quite as weak as that.

But your honest, heart-felt concern is appreciated.

PostPosted: 04/15/15 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ridor wrote:

This will prove to be false.

The AAC is weak, but it's not quite as weak as that.

But your honest, heart-felt concern is appreciated.

Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/15/15 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where did I express my concern? All I said is that I guess KLS is excited to play Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, Southern Methodist & Houston for next 4 years. Whoopee. All I can say is that it sucks to be you in that conference.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/15/15 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I'm talking about playing in conference that is pretty weak.

It's not your point, but conference weakness is one reason to have confidence that the Lourantula can be near the top of the player food chain in the AAC.

According the the MaxPreps HAL 9000 computer, KLS played the third strongest high school schedule in America, and she dominated even when junk-defensed every game. She should have no trouble doing the same at UConn, where so much more of the defensive attention will have to be diverted to her elite teammates.

This assumes she can get minutes over the crypto-hyped Natalie Butler.
ridor

PostPosted: 04/15/15 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All I can say is: Ask Louisiana Tech & Leon Barmore back then.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/15/15 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KLS video as a high school sophomore.

Better than soph Breanna Stewart at:

-- 3pt shooting
-- midrange shooting
-- driving
-- ball handling
-- finishing in the paint with contact

Likely not as good as soph Stewart at:

-- Shot blocking
-- rebounding
-- post defense
-- back-to-the basket post moves

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y4b1lQW4Up8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/15/15 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Where did I express my concern? All I said is that I guess KLS is excited to play Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, Southern Methodist & Houston for next 4 years. Whoopee. All I can say is that it sucks to be you in that conference.

You said you feel sorry for KLS:

"I felt sorry for KLS. She has to play for a team who will play Top 25 teams during the non-conference schedule but none during the conference season - I guess she's excited to play Houston, Southern Methodist, Tulsa, Tulane, Central Florida, East Carolina and Memphis for next 4 years."

That seems like heart-felt concern on your part for the girl. That's nice of you, imo.

You also stated that there'd be no conf. Top 25 games. It's quite possible UConn will have 3- count 'em, 3!- conf T-25 games in 15-16.

Maybe Geno can work a game w/VA into the schedule. Nah, there's enough 100+ RPI teams in the AAC.

Maybe UConn and VA should switch conferences-- save VA some losses and the AAC teams some travel $$$. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/16/15 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No sane ACC team will allow UConn to join in the ACC. I hope you fade into obscurity as soon as can be. You folks deserved it and more. My point is that Breanna Stewart can claim that her first year at UConn, she played a ranked team in her "conference" and that was Rutgers & Louisville. Breanna may graduate from UConn without experiencing any real conference rival. Her "real conference rival" these days is South Florida. Lack of any real conference rival will minimize UConn players just like it did to Louisiana Tech, restricting to ... what? Fresno State. And I look forward to see that UConn having its own conference rival in ... Southern Methodist. That would be hilarious and poetic justice. Now what I'm trying to say that KLS will never experience a real conference rival in the AAC. Well, she asked for it.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 04/16/15 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
No sane ACC team will allow UConn to join in the ACC. I hope you fade into obscurity as soon as can be. You folks deserved it and more. My point is that Breanna Stewart can claim that her first year at UConn, she played a ranked team in her "conference" and that was Rutgers & Louisville. Breanna may graduate from UConn without experiencing any real conference rival. Her "real conference rival" these days is South Florida. Lack of any real conference rival will minimize UConn players just like it did to Louisiana Tech, restricting to ... what? Fresno State. And I look forward to see that UConn having its own conference rival in ... Southern Methodist. That would be hilarious and poetic justice. Now what I'm trying to say that KLS will never experience a real conference rival in the AAC. Well, she asked for it.

The old Big East was still around when Stewie was a frosh. That means she played two regular season games against - wait for it - UConn's main rival, Notre Dame! Do your research you troll. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: