RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Andy Landers retiring
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Durantula wrote:
For a job like this I would only hire a coach with head coaching experience. If these so called top assistant coaches want a head coaching job in a power conference, prove your mettle at running a program.

17 of the last 20 national championships were won by teams with head coaches on their first head coaching job. Only three were won by coaches who were hired from other head coaching jobs (McGraw in 2001, Frese in 2006, and Blair in 2011).

Why would you prefer someone who has head coaching experience?

Because it's not 1980 any more?

loneycafe

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I think if I was UGA AD, I'd try to interview Michelle Clark-Heard, Karl Smesko, and Kenny Brooks.

Brooks and Clark-Heard are coaching their alma maters, which makes it much harder to get them to move.

It certainly does make it harder. If it was at a "major" it makes it well nigh impossible. So it becomes a question of whether they have any greater ambitions or aspirations, or are happy where they are for their entire career. It's one of the reasons why I said I'd TRY to interview them. They might well answer the phone call with "thanks for asking, but I'm happy where I am." But it doesn't hurt to ask.

As another thought, I wonder how wedded Wes Moore is to NCSt or whether he might see a higher ceiling at UGA? I hope he stays where he is, but he ought to be on UGA's short list at least to call. He'd be a slam dunk hire if they could lure him away.

Moore will retire at NC State. His wife's family lives in the area and that was one reason he accepted the ECU position before backing out the next day and returning to Chatt. He also was an assistant under Kay Yow, and has a good relationship with Debbie Yow. He really, really wanted the NC State job when Harper got it, and it pissed him off. He didn't think he would have another chance and was excited when it came around again. Moore had other opportunities to leave Chattanooga before, but NC State was the only one that he felt was the right fit.

Besides that, I don't think Georgia has any higher ceiling than NC State. Once Reynolds renovations are complete, we will have one of the nicest facilities for wbb in the nation. Also, he recruited the players who ended up leading NC State to its 1998 Final Four. He sees potential here because he helped make it happen before.

Last edited by loneycafe on 03/18/15 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Might I point out that some of those head coaches had been on their "first" head coaching job for more than a few years? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Tina Langley, currently associate head coach at Maryland, was an assistant under Andy Landers. She could be a person of interest for the Dawgs.

One year.

UGA strikes me as too big a program to hire an assistant - even a long time assistant - with zero head coaching experience.

Unrelated to UGA, is there a point at which an assistant becomes a "life time assistant" and beyond the point of serious consideration for a HC position? Is there a point when you ask "why has this person either never been offered or never been interested in a HC job"?

I don't know. I start to wonder about coaches who have been assistants for, say, fifteen years. Do they have the necessary drive and ambition to succeed as the person in charge? Is there some reason we don't know of why they have never been lured away? Just wondered what others thought.

Langley was on the path to be a head coach when her father got ill and she chose to return home to take care of him. She took several years off and then returned to coaching. I am not going to hold that against her.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
17 of the last 20 national championships were won by teams with head coaches on their first head coaching job. Only three were won by coaches who were hired from other head coaching jobs (McGraw in 2001, Frese in 2006, and Blair in 2011).

Those 20 championships were won by only 7 schools:

Baylor (assistant coach prior to taking HC job)
Connecticut (assistant prior to taking HC job)
Maryland (previous head coaching experience)
Notre Dame (previous head coaching experience)
Purdue (assistant coach prior to taking HC job)
Tennessee (no prior coaching experience)
TAMU (previous head coaching experience)

You can discount Pat Summitt, as a lot of coaches were hired in the 1970s with no previous college coaching experience, but even if you didn't, that's still 3 out of 7 who had previous head coaching jobs.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Durantula wrote:
For a job like this I would only hire a coach with head coaching experience. If these so called top assistant coaches want a head coaching job in a power conference, prove your mettle at running a program.

I was talking about the last 20 years, going back to 1995.

Fine, let's limit it to the last 10. A grand total of four coaches who were hired from mid-majors even reached the Final Four in that span: Muffet McGraw, Sylvia Hatchell, Joanne P McCallie, and Lindsay Gottlieb. None of them took home the big prize.

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
pilight wrote:

You can discount Pat Summitt, as a lot of coaches were hired in the 1970s with no previous college coaching experience, but even if you didn't, that's still 3 out of 7 who had previous head coaching jobs.

Only one who came from a mid-major. And like Dawn Staley, that one was a former pro player. It wasn't that long ago that ArtBest was suggesting that had a positive impact on coaching.

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

loneycafe wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I think if I was UGA AD, I'd try to interview Michelle Clark-Heard, Karl Smesko, and Kenny Brooks.

Brooks and Clark-Heard are coaching their alma maters, which makes it much harder to get them to move.

It certainly does make it harder. If it was at a "major" it makes it well nigh impossible. So it becomes a question of whether they have any greater ambitions or aspirations, or are happy where they are for their entire career. It's one of the reasons why I said I'd TRY to interview them. They might well answer the phone call with "thanks for asking, but I'm happy where I am." But it doesn't hurt to ask.

As another thought, I wonder how wedded Wes Moore is to NCSt or whether he might see a higher ceiling at UGA? I hope he stays where he is, but he ought to be on UGA's short list at least to call. He'd be a slam dunk hire if they could lure him away.

Moore will retire at NC State. His wife's family lives in the area and that was one reason he accepted the ECU position before backing out the next day and returning to Chatt. He also was an assistant under Kay Yow, and has a good relationship with Debbie Yow. He really, really wanted the NC State job when Harper got it, and it pissed him off. He didn't think he would have another chance and was excited when it came around again. Moore had other opportunities to leave Chattanooga before, but NC State was the only one that he felt was the right fit.

Besides that, I don't think Georgia has any higher ceiling than NC State. Once Reynolds renovations are complete, we will have one of the nicest facilities for wbb in the nation.

I think the "ceiling" comes from who NCSt is looking up at. ND, Duke, UNC and Louisville aren't going anywhere in the ACC. I think NCSt is unlikely to pass that group on a consistent basis, which leaves them fighting with FSU, Cuse, Miami, UVA, GaTech and maybe Pitt to see who can challenge in any given year. At UGA you're already in the top tier group of five. So I do think the ceiling at UGA is higher for more easily building a consistent contender. And at UGA a succesful program should get its pick of in state talent. NCSt will always have to contend with UNC and Duke.

I don't think facilities rank very high on the list of program-building considerations in WCBB.

But thank you, I did not know Moore' s family ties.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Fine, let's limit it to the last 10. A grand total of four coaches who were hired from mid-majors even reached the Final Four in that span: Muffet McGraw, Sylvia Hatchell, Joanne P McCallie, and Lindsay Gottlieb. None of them took home the big prize.

When the titles were won is irrelevant to the discussion. The point is that most of those were won by two coaches who were hired in an entirely different era under entirely different conditions and whose hiring provides little or no guidance on hiring a coach today.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Durantula wrote:

When the titles were won is irrelevant to the discussion. The point is that most of those were won by two coaches who were hired in an entirely different era under entirely different conditions and whose hiring provides little or no guidance on hiring a coach today.

There aren't many modern mid-major to major success stories either.

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They can hire Bonnie Henrickson...successful at VA Tech, was ok at Kansas. Clearly has the "head coaching experience" nailed.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/18/15 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Durantula wrote:

True because all the recent titles were won by coaches hired decades before.

Walz may be the most succesful recent hire with his two FFs, and he had no prior HC experience.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/18/15 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
beknighted wrote:
pilight wrote:

Only one who came from a mid-major. And like Dawn Staley, that one was a former pro player. It wasn't that long ago that ArtBest was suggesting that had a positive impact on coaching.

FWIW, if I were hiring for Georgia, I'd probably be looking first at major conference coaches, too.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/18/15 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
pilight wrote:
beknighted wrote:
pilight wrote:

FWIW, if I were hiring for Georgia, I'd probably be looking first at major conference coaches, too.

Then you're probably left with the choice of a failed, mediocre, or "jury is still out" major school coach, or a succesful mid major coach.

I have yet to see the name here of a proven successful major school coach who has a snowball's chance of moving to UGA. In part that's because it's basically the same schools and coaches who win every year. The pool of proven successes is very tiny.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/15 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
pilight wrote:
beknighted wrote:
pilight wrote:

Then you're probably left with the choice of a failed, mediocre, or "jury is still out" major school coach, or a succesful mid major coach.

I have yet to see the name here of a proven successful major school coach who has a snowball's chance of moving to UGA. In part that's because it's basically the same schools and coaches who win every year. The pool of proven successes is very tiny.

When Texas A&M hired Gary Blair he had a fairly mediocre history. One fluke F4 and some first weekend exits was all he had at Arkansas. He had never finished in the top three of the SEC and only once finished higher than 6th. Being a middling coach at one major is no guarantee of the same at another.

PostPosted: 03/18/15 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could UGA get someone like Sue Semrau? Art talks about ACC ceilings, and I don't think FSU recruits well enough to consistently be at the top. Not going to call it luck but a lot of things had to fall in place for FSU to be in contention. A rookie of the year from a power 5 conference had to transfer, which is not that common. A JUCO like Bulgak had to have a big impact. I feel like in recent years you don't see JUCO's be THIS good. Tenn has had a few that were ok, but for the most part at elite programs, the JUCO kids are mostly role players. FSU had a few other big name transfers come, but how sustainable is it to get all these transfers and keep good chemistry?

SEC isn't as top heavy as the ACC and Semrau would have a better talent pool to recruit from. She could still recruit FL kids at UGA as well. I recall hearing Semrau was in the hunt for the OSU job so its not like she isn't looking around and to me the big thing is being in a postion to be in the top third/half of your league. At OSU she would have had that potential too. UGA she could do it. FSU I think its too hard. ND and Duke recruit better than anyone outside of UConn. UNC gets top 25 recruits pretty consistently, and Louisville has a monster haul.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/18/15 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Durantula wrote:

True because all the recent titles were won by coaches hired decades before.

Walz may be the most succesful recent hire with his two FFs, and he had no prior HC experience.

And when Walz was hired, Louisville was in C-USA. I have no issue hiring assistants at the lower levels. If Louisville was in the ACC when they were hiring a coach, I bet more head coaches would be interested, and maybe some that already had success. It doesn't make it right/wrong, Walz is a great coach but some of these so called top assistants need to stop being so picky and branch out to run a program. The top programs will recruit well no matter who is on staff so how do these coaches differentiate themselves? Easy to win a lot of games being an assistant on teams that get the best players.

UGA is a great job. Good school in a top conference in a state with a ton of top basketball players. I can bet numerous head coaches would be interested, so what career assistant out there would have the resume to win over a selection committee? It's easy to nit pick coaches like Gary Blair and say he had a fluke run but you know what, doing it as a HEAD coach means much more than doing it as an assistant. UConn to my knowledge has no former head coaches no staff but what makes anyone think an assistant like Shea Ralph would be great head coaches? ND is another elite program and their staff has 2 former head coaches and neither was that good. Now that they are back at ND and going to the Final 4 every year should they all of a sudden become top head coaching candidates? The flavor du jour is to hire the best assistant coach recruiter, like when Illinois hired Jolette Law. If its a bottom program in a Power 5 league then i'd be more willing to take the risk but UGA would easily attract better candidates. It is a great job.

Mike Flynn I saw in a tweet claims Matt Insell would be a candidate. He was once a top assistant but now he's been a head coach for a couple of years at Ole Miss. If a coach like Semrau or the FGCU coach applied for the job, which assistant coaches out there would you hire over them?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/18/15 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
And when Walz was hired, Louisville was in C-USA.

Louisville joined the Big East in 2005.
Jeff Walz was hired as HC in 2007.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/18/15 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:
And when Walz was hired, Louisville was in C-USA.

Louisville joined the Big East in 2005.
Jeff Walz was hired as HC in 2007.

My mistake, thanks for the correction. I still think the perception of Louisville in all sports is much higher now in the ACC and maybe that would have changed some of the dynamics of their coaching search.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/18/15 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt Insell? I think he's busy developing his own program at Ole Miss. Seems to be doing a good job of it, too. Would he want to start over?

PostPosted: 03/18/15 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Matt Insell? I think he's busy developing his own program at Ole Miss. Seems to be doing a good job of it, too. Would he want to start over?

I'm not saying he would, just putting out what I saw in a tweet. One reason why he would do so is the talent level in Georgia is much higher than the talent level in Mississippi. You could say any coach is busy at their current job, but McGuff left Washington for Ohio State. Neighbors would have left Washington to go to his homestate Arkansas. If coaches see a better opportunity even when they are at the BCS level they can jump.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/18/15 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Could UGA get someone like Sue Semrau?

I think Semrau has a perfect home for her style at FSU. She has no impediments to her getting transfers, JCs, and foreign players into school and onto her team. It's an unusual approach. Would she have the same latitude at UGA? I don't know. Perhaps. Also, she's been at FSU for 18 years. It would be unusual for someone with that tenure at a major school to suddenly leave. Money and facilities are certainly not an issue at FSU.

What about McCallie? Despite the reaction of some Duke fans, she has a good record at Duke. But she must be feeling somewhat under appreciated. Might she like the opportunity to start over? It would be hard to find a coach with a better record at a big school who might be willing to leave.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/19/15 2:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
All Gottlieb's American players are from California.

We've seen this before--I don't think it's a good idea to take coaches out of their "zone" so-to-speak unless they are really exceptional.

Cal recently signed 2 out of state players, and during Lindsey Gottlieb's first time coaching at Cal there were also some out of state players, which I assume she had a hand in their recruiting. While she was at UC Santa Barbara she was also able to sign some out of state players. Of course SEC is a lot different than the Big West, but if she has the contacts out there and connections to all the big time coaches from around the country I don't think she will have that big of an issue. And of course a lot of it also depends on what assistant coaches she brings on as well, if she gets 1 or 2 assistant coaches with SEC ties and/or SEC area connections it would make a big difference as well.

loneycafe

PostPosted: 03/19/15 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
loneycafe wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Besides that, I don't think Georgia has any higher ceiling than NC State. Once Reynolds renovations are complete, we will have one of the nicest facilities for wbb in the nation.

I think the "ceiling" comes from who NCSt is looking up at. ND, Duke, UNC and Louisville aren't going anywhere in the ACC. I think NCSt is unlikely to pass that group on a consistent basis, which leaves them fighting with FSU, Cuse, Miami, UVA, GaTech and maybe Pitt to see who can challenge in any given year. At UGA you're already in the top tier group of five. So I do think the ceiling at UGA is higher for more easily building a consistent contender. And at UGA a succesful program should get its pick of in state talent. NCSt will always have to contend with UNC and Duke.

I don't think facilities rank very high on the list of program-building considerations in WCBB.

But thank you, I did not know Moore' s family ties.

I didn't think facilities mattered either, and I thought it was overrated. But Harper said the reason she couldn't bring in more highly-rated recruits to NC State was because of the poor facilities (Reynolds). Frankly, I thought it was a lame excuse (and she just wouldn't own up to the fact she had a poor recruiting strategy and ended up alienating N.C. high school coaches). But then Moore arrived and got on about the facilities. Now he is using the Reynolds renovations as a big selling point to the recruits. He's using it to demonstrate how the school is invested in getting the program back to the level of play in the 1990s. To build a program, you need the right players. The Reynolds renovation is apparently helping Moore sell his vision. Players like bling, he says.

And about recruiting, NC State and Duke rarely go after the same recruits. Now, UNC, on the other hand...But what's important to note is that we are now getting those recruits UNC is also targeting and going hard after. Plus, NCAA sanctions should be on the horizon for the UNC wbb program. With Moore at the helm, NC State will be able to take advantage of an ailing UNC program.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/19/15 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Semrau is quite happy where she is. Her program is taking off very nicely! When it comes to McCallie, I think her reputation is starting to become known....both the facts that her teams seem to go just so far and no farther, and that her players often don't seem to develop to potential until *after* they leave the program, and the whispers about her personality...and those could hurt future employment. Bonnie Henrickson is certainly available, but whether the PTB would go to the Big 12, who knows? And whether Gail Goestenkors would consider coming back to college coaching is another possibility; she'd be great, but would she? She has a nice gig with the Indiana Fever, plus ESPN. They could go with longtime assistants, or reach out to assistants from other programs that have a Georgia background, wherever they played their college ball. Or they could try to lure a really good mid-major coach like Suzie McConnell-Serio, or a coach at a major school who doesn't feel like they get as much support as they could (not mentioning names but I'm sure there are a lot). It's a pretty wide open field at this point, but in many ways I feel sorry for the person who takes the job. It's not easy to follow a legend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: