RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Andy Landers retiring
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cometsfan05

PostPosted: 03/17/15 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
Shocked by the news. But good that he was able to bow out on his own terms. He will be missed.

They were 6-10 in the SEC this year, tied for 9th place. Do we really know it was on his own terms? Seems like coaches are normally given the "resign/retire or be fired" courtesy.

Ughh yes. I'm a loyal fan. But we haven't been good in a very long time. And they didn't fire him then. Georgia always played well until they got into the SEC conference games.

I think certain coaches would love the opportunity to coach behind a legend, and at a school like Georgia.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 03/17/15 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
...I just shorted all of my Brylcreem stock. Wink

Not to worry, Matthew Mitchell, and his hair, got you covered, literally COVERED.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/17/15 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

larmarch5 wrote:
stever wrote:
...I just shorted all of my Brylcreem stock. Wink

Not to worry, Matthew Mitchell, and his hair, got you covered, literally COVERED.

Matt Insell, too. He's in the same mold. (Mitchell's getting a bald spot)

PostPosted: 03/17/15 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:
tfan wrote:
cometsfan05 wrote:
Shocked by the news. But good that he was able to bow out on his own terms. He will be missed.

They were 6-10 in the SEC this year, tied for 9th place. Do we really know it was on his own terms? Seems like coaches are normally given the "resign/retire or be fired" courtesy.

Ughh yes. I'm a loyal fan. But we haven't been good in a very long time. And they didn't fire him then.

OK, but at first glance "haven't been good in a very long time" doesn't seem like a good phrase to use in a case for voluntary retirement. But it could be that the downturn made it less enjoyable.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/18/15 2:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
So, does this mean male coaches in the SEC will stop greasing, oiling, and lacquering their hair to look like Andy?

It's still the deep south. Don't get your hopes up.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/15 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candidates to replace Landers

http://www.dawgsports.com/2015/3/17/8229165/candidates-to-replace-andy-landers-as-georgia-head-coach

Quote:
Gottlieb fits the mold I'm looking for, having been a longtime assistant at various programs who stepped up into the big chair at a lesser-known Division I program and has had success. Also, I think she might be far more likely to be willing to come to Athens than any "big name" coach like Staley or Mulkey.

PostPosted: 03/18/15 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Candidates to replace Landers

http://www.dawgsports.com/2015/3/17/8229165/candidates-to-replace-andy-landers-as-georgia-head-coach

Quote:
Gottlieb fits the mold I'm looking for, having been a longtime assistant at various programs who stepped up into the big chair at a lesser-known Division I program and has had success. Also, I think she might be far more likely to be willing to come to Athens than any "big name" coach like Staley or Mulkey.

Why would Staley or Mulkey want to go to Georgia? Confused
Especially Mulkey....she's got her own little UConn of the south established.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/18/15 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the comments, Jeff Walz was an interesting suggestion, although I assume he'd want a boatload of money. (That's not an objection, just a point to consider in whether Georgia could get him.)

Gottleib is an interesting suggestion, but I don't know how much of her recruiting is California-focused (or West Coast-focused), and Georgia's a long way from California, in more ways than one.

FS02

PostPosted: 03/18/15 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All Gottlieb's American players are from California.

We've seen this before--I don't think it's a good idea to take coaches out of their "zone" so-to-speak unless they are really exceptional.

PostPosted: 03/18/15 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
From the comments, Jeff Walz was an interesting suggestion, although I assume he'd want a boatload of money. (That's not an objection, just a point to consider in whether Georgia could get him.)

Gottleib is an interesting suggestion, but I don't know how much of her recruiting is California-focused (or West Coast-focused), and Georgia's a long way from California, in more ways than one.

Why would Walz leave? He works for one of the best ADs in the country, has really good fan support, tremendous facilities, big budget, plays in the best WBB conference, and nobody is going to outspend Louisville on salary. Jurich will match anything anyone else offers and has plenty of money to back that up.

Just guessing, but I'd say that the only possibility of "moving up" from his current job would be to Tennessee. Anything else is just a lateral move.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/18/15 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think if I was UGA AD, I'd try to interview Michelle Clark-Heard, Karl Smesko, and Kenny Brooks.

I think a succesful mid-major coach, especially someone like Clark-Heard with extensive time as a big school assistant, is as good a strategy as any, and better than most.

I get a laugh when fans or media cheerleaders talk about Mulkey or Staley or Mitchell. They're gods where they are now. Just give one reason why any of them would leave to go to UGA? It's not a better job than what they already have.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/15 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I think if I was UGA AD, I'd try to interview Michelle Clark-Heard, Karl Smesko, and Kenny Brooks.

Brooks and Clark-Heard are coaching their alma maters, which makes it much harder to get them to move.

PostPosted: 03/18/15 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Brooks and Clark-Heard are coaching their alma maters, which makes it much harder to get them to move.

It certainly does make it harder. If it was at a "major" it makes it well nigh impossible. So it becomes a question of whether they have any greater ambitions or aspirations, or are happy where they are for their entire career. It's one of the reasons why I said I'd TRY to interview them. They might well answer the phone call with "thanks for asking, but I'm happy where I am." But it doesn't hurt to ask.

As another thought, I wonder how wedded Wes Moore is to NCSt or whether he might see a higher ceiling at UGA? I hope he stays where he is, but he ought to be on UGA's short list at least to call. He'd be a slam dunk hire if they could lure him away.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/18/15 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Why would Walz leave? He works for one of the best ADs in the country, has really good fan support, tremendous facilities, big budget, plays in the best WBB conference, and nobody is going to outspend Louisville on salary. Jurich will match anything anyone else offers and has plenty of money to back that up.

Just guessing, but I'd say that the only possibility of "moving up" from his current job would be to Tennessee. Anything else is just a lateral move.

I don't think it's likely Walz would leave, but he's a college sports coach and the number of them who are unwilling to consider another gig for the right amount of money (and at an institution that historically has supported WCBB pretty well) is pretty small. And while Louisville has been good with him as coach, it's almost certainly behind Georgia in any list of storied WCBB programs - the Louisville tradition more or less starts and ends with Walz.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/18/15 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I don't think it's likely Walz would leave, but he's a college sports coach and the number of them who are unwilling to consider another gig for the right amount of money (and at an institution that historically has supported WCBB pretty well) is pretty small. And while Louisville has been good with him as coach, it's almost certainly behind Georgia in any list of storied WCBB programs - the Louisville tradition more or less starts and ends with Walz.

Louisville averaged 9500 per game last year, UGA averaged 3200. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to outspend Louisville on a coach that Jurich wants to keep. Walz has a tremendous group of young talent in hand and in coming. And he's treated like a god. Somehow I doubt some final four appearances twenty and thirty years ago outweighs any of that, especially when Walz already has two in the last six years where he is. The chance of him leaving for UGA may not be zero, but it's darn close.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 03/18/15 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/18/15 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure Brooks would want to leave. Not only is JMU his alma mater, but he's really working on building something there. He recruits far outside what would usually be considered the "limits" of his range, getting players from as far as Florida and Hew Hampshire. I think he has ambitions of taking JMU beyond what it currently is.

PostPosted: 03/18/15 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Not sure Brooks would want to leave. Not only is JMU his alma mater, but he's really working on building something there. He recruits far outside what would usually be considered the "limits" of his range, getting players from as far as Florida and Hew Hampshire. I think he has ambitions of taking JMU beyond what it currently is.

I'm sure he's not so naive as to think that he can ever achieve at JMU anything close what he could potentially achieve at UGA. The only question is whether he's satisfied with what he already has.

Just as an example, if he was at UGA last year he likely would have had a serious shot at Asia Durr and Tea Cooper. He knows players like that are far beyond his reach at JMU and always will be.

All a question of what's important to him in his life. Those are very personal decisions.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/15 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Langley, currently associate head coach at Maryland, was an assistant under Andy Landers. She could be a person of interest for the Dawgs.

PostPosted: 03/18/15 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Tina Langley, currently associate head coach at Maryland, was an assistant under Andy Landers. She could be a person of interest for the Dawgs.

One year.

UGA strikes me as too big a program to hire an assistant - even a long time assistant - with zero head coaching experience.

Unrelated to UGA, is there a point at which an assistant becomes a "life time assistant" and beyond the point of serious consideration for a HC position? Is there a point when you ask "why has this person either never been offered or never been interested in a HC job"?

I don't know. I start to wonder about coaches who have been assistants for, say, fifteen years. Do they have the necessary drive and ambition to succeed as the person in charge? Is there some reason we don't know of why they have never been lured away? Just wondered what others thought.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/18/15 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Quote:

Haha. If he really wanted Gottlieb, he probably just pissed her off by calling her program "a lesser-known" one. Laughing Granted, Cal doesn't have GA's history, but it's certainly been "better-known" than UGA in recent season and post-season accomplishments.

I can't see anything that tempting GA has to offer anybody like Jeff, Kim, or Dawn.

I say: 1. Karl Smesko 2. Kenny Brooks 3. Courtney Banghart ORR....4. Katrina McClain. Cool

eta: OOooH! I forgot! 5. Gail Gestenkoers!! I'd love to see her back in action, and her record at Duke is undeniable. Of course, her record at TX is undeniable, too, but understandable, imo. LOVE her.

Last edited by Howee on 03/18/15 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Durantula

PostPosted: 03/18/15 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For a job like this I would only hire a coach with head coaching experience. If these so called top assistant coaches want a head coaching job in a power conference, prove your mettle at running a program.

To Art's point, I think some of these long time assistants want to be head coaches, maybe they just don't interview well, maybe they were too picky earlier in their career and passed up on some jobs, and now they don't get calls anymore. The reason I wouldn't hire an assistant is because its way too hard to separate the assistants recruiting vs. the head coach especially when many of the women's teams that are good are because the girls players care more about academics. Take a recruiter from Stanford or Duke and put them at a regular public university like say Colorado, and how good of a recruiter are they? Its too much of an unknown so I would take someone with head coaching experience who has shown they can run a program.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/15 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
For a job like this I would only hire a coach with head coaching experience. If these so called top assistant coaches want a head coaching job in a power conference, prove your mettle at running a program.

17 of the last 20 national championships were won by teams with head coaches on their first head coaching job. Only three were won by coaches who were hired from other head coaching jobs (McGraw in 2001, Frese in 2006, and Blair in 2011).

Why would you prefer someone who has head coaching experience?

PostPosted: 03/18/15 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Durantula wrote:

17 of the last 20 national championships were won by teams with head coaches on their first head coaching job. Only three were won by coaches who were hired from other head coaching jobs (McGraw in 2001, Frese in 2006, and Blair in 2011).

Why would you prefer someone who has head coaching experience?

Because there is a lot of stuff a head coach has to do that an assistant doesn't do. When you are paying big bucks to hire a coach don't you want to see someone who has been in the coaches chair and made the big decisions? Dealt with media, fundraising, recruiting (different as an assistant)?

Dawn Staley's path is one I like. Started at Temple, then jumped to a BCS school. There are good and bad examples on both sides but I think the experience of a Smesko greatly outweighs some top assistant from UConn or something. How do you even know how good they are? Recruits probably go to UConn for Geno, not for some assistant, but some assistant tends to get credit for being the primary recruiter of a player. When you're a head coach it completely changes. Look at the UConn coaching tree, some of their coaches at Cincinnati, Temple, and so forth are just not very good.

Also, UGA is a high level job. Geno may have gotten his first job at UConn but at the time it wasn't a big job, he made it one.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I'm sure he's not so naive as to think that he can ever achieve at JMU anything close what he could potentially achieve at UGA. The only question is whether he's satisfied with what he already has.

Just as an example, if he was at UGA last year he likely would have had a serious shot at Asia Durr and Tea Cooper. He knows players like that are far beyond his reach at JMU and always will be.

All a question of what's important to him in his life. Those are very personal decisions.

Not everyone wants to be Geno or turn their team into UConn. He may very well want to be Kenny Brooks and turn JMU into the best JMU it can possibly be. And good on him if that's what he wants.

PostPosted: 03/18/15 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's an awfully big jump from the ASun to the SEC. Recruiting big time players isn't like recruiting players who are just happy to get a D-I offer. There have been plenty of coaches who haven't been able to make that leap.

Remember the three (of 20) national champs who were not first time head coaches? Two of them (Blair and Frese) were hired from other major conference teams. In the last two decades only Muffet McGraw in 2001 has won a national championship after being hired away from a mid-major.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: