RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Should Tennessee keep the "Lady Vols" nickname?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should UTenn keep the "Lady Vols" name for all its women's teams?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 41 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 72

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/13/15 4:00 pm    ::: Should Tennessee keep the "Lady Vols" nickname? Reply Reply with quote

The University of Tennessee apparently has decided to abolish the "Lady Vols" nickname for all its women's team in favor of the gender neutral "Volunteers", except for women's basketball. This has created a furor within Tennessee from groups of fans, former athletes and politicians.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vols/2015/02/16/lady-vols-dave-hart-lawsuits-legacy/23442495/

What sayeth RebKell?

I'm not going to reveal my preference, but this poll may separate those who value deep and meaningful athletic traditions from those who value superficial and politically correct nomenclature.
Shades

PostPosted: 03/13/15 4:07 pm    ::: Re: Should Tennessee keep the "Lady Vols" nickname Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I'm not going to reveal my preference, but this poll may separate those who value deep and meaningful athletic traditions from those who value superficial and politically correct nomenclature.

Yeah, thanks for not revealing your preference. Laughing

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 03/13/15 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glenn, I don't want to reveal my answer, but I'm curious if you're in favor of the Washington NFL team keeping its Redskins name.

Last edited by Shades on 03/13/15 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 03/13/15 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the South you are either a Lady or a Bitch.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/13/15 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:

I never knew that "lady" is a derogatory term for a female.

FS02

PostPosted: 03/13/15 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's up to the schools whatever they want to call themselves.

But the term "Lady" is usually not meant to be offensive by the people who use it, it is meant as a compliment, so I don't have a problem with it except that in some cases it sounds a little silly when paired with an obviously male nickname, like "Lady Knights" or whatever.

"Redskins" is a whole 'nother ball of wax, that's a racial slur. I can't believe they haven't changed it yet.

PostPosted: 03/13/15 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Why make a distinction at all? Isn't that sexist or, at the very least, patronizing?

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 03/13/15 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Why make a distinction at all? Isn't that sexist or, at the very least, patronizing?

I was always raised to call women a Lady was the most respect you could give a women. Don't know when it changed. Was always a Lady and Gentleman

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/13/15 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasnt this decided and discussed last year ᤾? The Lady Vols Name Will Never Leave That BBall Team. Most successful program the school has .

PostPosted: 03/13/15 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Wasnt this decided and discussed last year ᤾? The Lady Vols Name Will Never Leave That BBall Team. Most successful program the school has .

The new naming policy under the integrated athletic department allows the basketball team to remain the Lady Vols. Why is that? Obviously not for some different ethical or moral reason, but simply because the WBB team has the most economically powerful and vocal fan base.

But there are other many other women's sports at UTenn, such as the very successful softball and track teams. Those sports have thousands of former athletes and fans who want those teams to remain Lady Vols, too. The poll is asking whether all the sports should retain the name.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/13/15 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Condescending is more like it. It perpetuates the notion that male is the default and female is a deviation from the default.

PostPosted: 03/13/15 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Glenn, I don't want to reveal my answer, but I'm curious if you're in favor of the Washington NFL team keeping its Redskins name.

This could be a related issue if discussed civilly.

I wouldn't say I "favor" the Redskins name, though I don't find Indian names to be racist, derogatory or in any way offensive for sports teams. However, I realize other people do. Therefore, I personally wouldn't name a sports team with an Indian name or even with the prefix "Lady".

On the other hand, if there is an existing team, especially a privately owned one, with a long-established Indian name that is liked and preferred by a significant portion of that team's fan base and ownership -- like the Redskins -- I don't have any philosophical, moral, ethical or legal objection to that name being retained. I certainly don't want the federal government to be involved, as they are in trying to void the Redskins' trademarks.

As background, I am a proud FSU Seminole, a tribe that is especially venerated in Florida because it was the only tribe in America to remain unconquered, never signing a peace treaty with the U.S. government.

The FSU football experience would be greatly diminished without the most stirring team entrance in college sports. Chief Osceola rides in on Renegade, an Appaloosa, and plants the burning spear at midfield while the marching band plays the Seminole War Chant in front of 82,000 fans doing the tomahawk chop. Well, you really have to be there.
blaase22

PostPosted: 03/14/15 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes its tradition , just like Hawaii calling their womens teams rainbow wahine instead of rainbow warriors.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/14/15 2:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a thread a few people voiced their opinions and discussed their views on this topic.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=82290

hyperetic

PostPosted: 03/14/15 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I say no. Pat and her teams made that name significant. It shouldn't be changed unless she's OK with it.
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/14/15 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think keeping the exception for women's basketball makes it clear that it's not about uniting everyone under one name, or whatever bullshit Hart's spewing. Either give it back to the other teams (and I know Tennessee has other strong women's programs, such as softball and track) or take it off everyone.

I personally abhor the Lady moniker, but mostly because it tends to be appended in places where it's not appropriate. (God help me if Steve Lavin refers to the "Lady Johnnies" or the "Lady Storm" one more fucking time. And that's not even going into inappropriate sexing of words, like the example given of "Lady Knights" {because a lady knight is a dame, and while there is nothing like a dame, it doesn't have the same ring to it}, or something like "Lady Gamecocks".) On the other hand, I am aware that there are different cultural norms regarding said usage, and I don't know if it's my place to impose my view on a team.

So I'm going to pose a tangentially related question: what about Louisiana Tech? Should their female athletes be Bulldogs like the men, or remain Lady Techsters?

PostPosted: 03/14/15 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with calling a women's team "the Lady _____", as long as the men's basketball or football team are called "the Gentleman ______".

PostPosted: 03/14/15 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

The new naming policy under the integrated athletic department allows the basketball team to remain the Lady Vols. Why is that? Obviously not for some different ethical or moral reason, but simply because the WBB team has the most economically powerful and vocal fan base.

But there are other many other women's sports at UTenn, such as the very successful softball and track teams. Those sports have thousands of former athletes and fans who want those teams to remain Lady Vols, too. The poll is asking whether all the sports should retain the name.

What you don't get, Glenn, is that this goes far deeper than just the name. Lady Vol fans and former Lady Vol athletes see this as just more of the systematic devaluation of the women's athletic program under Heartless Dave, chancellor Jimmy the Cheek, and UT president Joe DiPietro. There is a distinct feeling among the fans and the athletes that those three persist in seeing the women's athletic programs as just a footnote to the all-important football program instead of as a proud tradition in its own right. A state senator has even introduced a bill in the legislature to return the Lady Vols name to all programs. DiPietro issued a snotty statement last week that "this is not up for negotiation," but the protests go on, as well as calls for his, Cheek's, and Hart's ousters.

PostPosted: 03/14/15 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

How much money has the softball team or track team which both might i add are awesome year after year but compared to UT WBb theyre no comparison for notoriety and funds revenued

PostPosted: 03/14/15 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And it's not even all about money, it's about the *devaluation* of women's athletics by these guys.

PostPosted: 03/14/15 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the south the highest compliment a man can give a women is call her a Lady. I was watching when the Senate was grilling a four star general and Senator Barbara Boxer from California told him to call her a senator and not Ma’am. In the military they are thought that Ma’am is the highest honor you can call a women. To me she downgraded herself. Remember the Disney move a Lady and a Tramp, also the song by Tom Jones, She is a Lady, and both held the women to the highest esteem.

taropatch

PostPosted: 03/14/15 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Is "hen" a derogatory name for a man who plays sports at Delaware?

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 03/14/15 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Is "hen" a derogatory name for a man who plays sports at Delaware?

Why should it, they knew the name before they go there. Call me what you want just call me for dinner.

SueFavor

PostPosted: 03/15/15 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.saveladyvols.com/

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
NickDMB

PostPosted: 03/15/15 3:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I generally hate it when people throw out dictionary definitions like they're definitive, but in this case, it helped me clarify why I agree with others on this thread that it's patronizing.

a : a woman having proprietary rights or authority especially as a feudal superior
b : a woman receiving the homage or devotion of a knight or lover
capitalized : virgin mary —usually used with Our
a : a woman of superior social position
b : a woman of refinement and gentle manners
c : woman, female —often used in a courteous reference <show the lady to a seat> or usually in the plural in address <ladies and gentlemen>
a : wife
b : girlfriend, mistress
a : any of various titled women in Great Britain —used as the customary title of (1) a marchioness, countess, viscountess, or baroness or (2) the wife of a knight, baronet, member of the peerage, or one having the courtesy title of lord and used as a courtesy title for the daughter of a duke, marquess, or earl
b : a woman who is a member of an order of knighthood — compare dame

To me, the most applicable definition to contemporary American usage is "a woman of refinement or gentle manners." I'm not saying that WCBB players aren't refined, but that's simply not what athletes who have reached the top of their peer group in a sport are being recognized for. The use of lady (in addition to the fact that it's an unnecessary distinction) overlooks the personality traits that are required to be a successful D1 athlete, like hard-working, aggressive, disciplined, competitive, in favor of more stereotypically feminine traits like refinement and gentleness. I'm not a fan of that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: