RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

U19 Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/11/15 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

themick1952 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
KLS had knee problems at the end of the high school season.

What kind of knee problems? Are you saying that is why she isn't with the team?

I had read that she left because of a family issue.

Unfortunately, that's all I know ... and it was a rumor, not confirmed by anyone who would have inside knowledge.

Family issue could be the reason as well.

PostPosted: 07/11/15 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
Interesting tidbit here as the team apparently scrimmaged the Pan Am team twice and split the games:
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/07/usa-u19-world-championship-team-ready-for-next-test.aspx

It will be off to Spain for an exhibition tournament before heading to Russia.

That IS an interesting tidbit. After winning the first scrimmage (74-6Cool, the U19 team kept the second very close as well (73-70). Did the Pan Am team play hard? You would think that the significant age difference would make the games much less competitive. It was basically upper classmen (established college stars) competing against rising sophomores, incoming freshman, and high school students. I would have loved to have seen the box scores.

Dawn Staley is a heck of a coach....

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/11/15 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone have a link about Katie Lou not being on the U-19 team. Also is there an update on her status?

PostPosted: 07/11/15 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Lou in some training routines.

Her handle is really progressing.

Note what kind of training moves are completely absent, though she's really good there too.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3qFxDMKGUIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 07/12/15 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The U19 played their first exhibition against a tough Australian team and pulled out a tight 85-82 win.

There was a lot of physical play and fouls, with 2 Aussie girls fouling out. A'ja Wilson led the way for the US team with 30 points on 8-19 shooting - including 14 for 14 from the free throw line - and 11 rebounds. Crystal Dangerfield added 12 pts on 4-12 shooting as well as 4 assists and a team leading 4 steals, and Mariya Moore had 11 pts (also on 4-12 shooting) and 8 rebounds with 5 assists, which led the team.

The overall shooting % wasn't good for the US team as they shot 38% to Australia's 44.4%

The pdf box score:

http://t.co/rAQdFPff5u

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 07/12/15 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I thought the WUG was struggling. This is not a good result for USA. Teams are much bigger than this AUS team and we have no shooters. MM plays most minutes and she is 4/12 and 1/6 LOL.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/12/15 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the same tournament, Spain beat Canada 63-53 (Salvadores 20, Raventos 10, Cazorla 10 and Carleton 15, Provo 11. Spain will probably add 5 players from their U20 team. USA vs Canada tomorrow.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/12/15 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Wow. I thought the WUG was struggling. This is not a good result for USA. Teams are much bigger than this AUS team and we have no shooters. MM plays most minutes and she is 4/12 and 1/6 LOL.

We have shooters. Patberg can shoot. Ortiz can shoot. Stevens can shoot. I don't know if Dangerfield is much of a shooter or not.

As for Moore, this sounds like the WUG team - if your coach is on the bench you play twice as many minutes as you should play.

It's an exhibition. Don't you want your least experienced players to gain experience so they can be ready to help when the games count? So why did Cox and Anigwe bairly get their warmups off?

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 07/13/15 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://basketball.ca/en/news-article/u19-womens-national-team-final-roster-announced

Quick info on Canada's Nancy Kessler, a University of Toledo student and member of Canada's U 19 team.

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18000&ATCLID=210208387

Article from U of Toledo on Nancy.

Last edited by shadowboxer on 07/13/15 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
PhillyCat

PostPosted: 07/13/15 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Samuelson left the U-19 camp for home because of a family matter (not an injury). She won't be with the team for the current tournament in Spain but may join the team for the Worlds.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/13/15 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

U19 leads Canada 52-16 at the half.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/13/15 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where are you finding this? Is the game or at least live stats on the internet somewhere?

Or are you in Spain, lucky you. Very Happy

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/13/15 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They finally on the USAB website officially give the reason why Katie Lou Samuelson is not with the team in Spain:

"Katie Lou Samuelson (Mater Dei H.S./Huntington Beach, Calif.) returned home during the USAs training camp due to a family issue and will not compete in the Spain U19 International Invitational."

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/07/usa-womens-u19-national-team-defeats-canada-in-exhibition.aspx

PostPosted: 07/13/15 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Where are you finding this? Is the game or at least live stats on the internet somewhere?

No, just here in scorching Arizona. I got the score from the USA basketball twitter page.

Here's the story, stats, etc., although I assume you've got them by now!

http://bit.ly/1CCcnJ7

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/13/15 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Oddly enough flashscore.com had live scoring updates. I have no idea how they were getting them, but they had them up to the minute for both games.

Australia destroyed Spain. It will be interesting to see if Spain adds the players from the U20 team tomorrow. If not, the team that the United States plays tomorrow will look very different from the team we play on Saturday.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/14/15 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Lou Samuelson is probably unlikely to play this summer, as Destiny Slocum is now planning to join the team: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/07/13/3894323_varsity-extra-mountain-views-destiny.html

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/14/15 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA leads Spain 22-12 after first quarter.

In the earlier game, Canada beat Australia 67-60. But that game was 61-40 after 3 quarters before a furious comeback by the Aussies.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/14/15 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA slightly extend the lead: 36-24 at halftime.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/14/15 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

55-35 after 3 quarters. USA cruising.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/14/15 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

75-51 final score.

Durantula

PostPosted: 07/14/15 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Lou Samuelson is probably unlikely to play this summer, as Destiny Slocum is now planning to join the team: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/07/13/3894323_varsity-extra-mountain-views-destiny.html

Interesting roster choice. They added Patberg who can handle either guard spot but instead of replacing Samuelson with another shooter/wing they add a point guard in Destiny Slocum. The conspiracy theorist in me will say Destiny Slocum was added since she is being recruited by a coach on the USA U19 team, as opposed to positional need but that's just hypothesizing.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/14/15 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Story and box score from today's win over Spain: http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/07/usa-u19-women-defeat-spain-in-exhibition.aspx

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/14/15 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

Interesting roster choice. They added Patberg who can handle either guard spot but instead of replacing Samuelson with another shooter/wing they add a point guard in Destiny Slocum. The conspiracy theorist in me will say Destiny Slocum was added since she is being recruited by a coach on the USA U19 team, as opposed to positional need but that's just hypothesizing.

I just received 4 phone calls about the same topic. I was told one of the reasons she opened up her recruitment was to make the USA team.

Durantula

PostPosted: 07/14/15 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I just received 4 phone calls about the same topic. I was told one of the reasons she opened up her recruitment was to make the USA team.

Well she didn't make the team at first and only got added because of Samuelson pulling out, so I don't know if that rationale was wise. Didn't Kelsey Plum just make USA Basketball? I mean that sounds like a weak excuse to me.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 07/14/15 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Well she didn't make the team at first and only got added because of Samuelson pulling out, so I don't know if that rationale was wise. Didn't Kelsey Plum just make USA Basketball? I mean that sounds like a weak excuse to me.

The conspiracy theorist shooting down a conspiracy theory? That could be cause for card revokement....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: