RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

U19 Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/25/15 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Staley-Wilson-Collier juggernaut beat Spain today, 80-65.

Wilson had a 20-16 double-double (shooting 8/18) and Collier had a 24-14 double-double (shooting 10/13).

This U19 team seems to play so much better than the Pan Am team. The lower level of competition is probably factor, but the team offense and team defense of the U19's seems significantly better even though they are younger than the Pan Am's.

The guards are more pass-oriented. The Pan Am team had 68 assists in five games; the U19 team has had 104 assists in the first five games. This seems to reflect the superior coaching of Staley plus the disciplined non-chuckiness of the of the players, especially the guards.

If the U19's had the great shooting of Samuelson and a disciplined Durr, I think they would clearly be a more talented team than the Pan Am team.

It will be very interesting to see who gets more starts and minutes next season on UConn as between Collier and Samuelson, both of whom have college A-A potential.
Durantula

PostPosted: 07/25/15 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Wilson had a 20-16 double-double (shooting 8/1Cool and Collier had a 24-14 double-double (shooting 10/13).

This U19 team seems to play so much better than the Pan Am team. The lower level of competition is probably factor, but the team offense and team defense of the U19's seems significantly better even though they are younger than the Pan Am's.

The guards are more pass-oriented. The Pan Am team had 68 assists in five games; the U19 team has had 104 assists in the first five games. This seems to reflect the superior coaching of Staley plus the disciplined non-chuckiness of the of the players, especially the guards.

If the U19's had the great shooting of Samuelson and a disciplined Durr, I think they would clearly be a more talented team than the Pan Am team.

It will be very interesting to see who gets more starts and minutes next season on UConn as between Collier and Samuelson, both of whom have college A-A potential.

I don't think Staley is a better offensive coach than Bluder. Iowa averaged more APG, PPG, etc. than South Carolina, and Bluder's teams are always good offensively. I think the difference is USA U19 had access to a better pool of players since they didn't have to split up a pool of players between two teams, like Pan-Am/World University games. Also, I think Bluder didn't have the personnel she usually likes, like a lot of three point shooters and players who pass well but don't over dribble. There are players on the U19 team that are good enough to play on Pan Am/WUG but because u19 worlds is a bigger event, they get placed there which helps. Also, Pan-Am team faces players much older, some pros, so its not an easy comparison.

Was really impressed with Collier, maybe the best player on the team and she hasn't played a college game. Scary given how the college kids on this team are really good (Wilson, Moore, White and others).

Did I hear the commentator say Salvadores might not be at Duke? What is that about?

Last edited by Durantula on 07/25/15 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 07/25/15 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collier is very impressive. She seems to be always around the ball doing good things and she is clearly a team first type of player. If will be exciting to see how she does at UConn!

linkster

PostPosted: 07/25/15 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

US won based on a total dominance of the paint. Every US basket today was scored from inside the paint, mostly as a result of 27 offensive rebounds. http://www.fiba.com/ls/#8051&11726-48-A

Counting the X's on the shot chart, the US shot 0-16 from outside the paint.

The Russian team has some size and if they clog the paint someone on the US side has to hit a few outside shots to keep the Russians honest.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/25/15 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
US won based on a total dominance of the paint. Every US basket today was scored from inside the paint, mostly as a result of 27 offensive rebounds. http://www.fiba.com/ls/#8051&11726-48-A

The Russian team has some size and if they clog the paint someone on the US side has to hit a few outside shots to keep the Russians honest.

The guards is where the USA clearly have the advantage over Russia. Other than the first gsme of the Tournamnet and today, US shot the three fairly well. I think today was an anomaly in comparison. With that in mind, yes the USA must hit the outside shot. I believe they will.

PostPosted: 07/25/15 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I consider points in the paint perhaps the best single stat to judge team offense. If you add a team's PiPs to its Fouls Drawn (or FTA's or FTM's), the team with the most will almost always win. Add assists to those totals, and that makes the winning offense even stronger. The only opponent that can beat that statistical combo is one that bombs in a huge number of three-point shots.

Superiority in USAB PiPs and assists is one key thing that informs me that Staley is a better offensive coach than Bluder, both of whom had comparable talent -- the other key thing being my eyes.

Yes, the U19's seem weak beyond the arc. That's where they miss Samuelson, who is the second most effective three-point shooter at the high school level that I have personally seen. However, even without three point shooting, the U19's may be able to overcome Russian lane clogging simply via the strength of their rebounding and putback abilities, two areas where Collier, Wilson, Moore and Thomas shine along with White and Cox.

I note that Thomas -- who is on the WCBB All Hangtime Team -- didn't play at all today.
awhom111

PostPosted: 07/25/15 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sunday games:

USA vs Russia is on ESPN3 at 1:15pm EDT (should be on livebasketball.tv as well).

Australia vs Spain for 3rd place is at 11:00am on livebasketball.tv

Rest of the games on YouTube:
5th: France vs Belgium, 8:45am: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA_W_qwJOUo
7th: China vs Canada, 6:30am: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCU9a31wPOg
9th: Brazil vs Netherlands, 9:45am: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYLJsCaKRTw
11th: Mali vs Serbia, 7:30am: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fViQaVaZHMk
13th: Taiwan vs South Korea, 5:15am: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUaIXUSk1x8
15th: Egypt vs Argentina, 3:00am: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3an7iVl_TEU

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/25/15 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glen mentioned that Thomas did not play which I had noticed when looking at the box score. It surprised me. Anyone know why she did not play?

PostPosted: 07/25/15 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“Pheese (Napheesa Collier) is relentless,” added Staley. “She is competitive. She doesn’t want to lose and she leaves it all out there every time she steps on the floor.”

Staley is now a perfect 20-0 as a USAB head coach.
sammieee

PostPosted: 07/25/15 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll be VERY interested to see who will be guarding Maria Vadeeva. She'll be eligible for the 2017 draft (I think), and would be a lottery pick if she commits to playing in the W (which I doubt).

PostPosted: 07/26/15 3:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Wilson had a 20-16 double-double (shooting 8/1Cool and Collier had a 24-14 double-double (shooting 10/13).

I don't think Staley is a better offensive coach than Bluder. Iowa averaged more APG, PPG, etc. than South Carolina, and Bluder's teams are always good offensively. I think the difference is USA U19 had access to a better pool of players since they didn't have to split up a pool of players between two teams, like Pan-Am/World University games. Also, I think Bluder didn't have the personnel she usually likes, like a lot of three point shooters and players who pass well but don't over dribble. There are players on the U19 team that are good enough to play on Pan Am/WUG but because u19 worlds is a bigger event, they get placed there which helps. Also, Pan-Am team faces players much older, some pros, so its not an easy comparison.

Was really impressed with Collier, maybe the best player on the team and she hasn't played a college game. Scary given how the college kids on this team are really good (Wilson, Moore, White and others).

Did I hear the commentator say Salvadores might not be at Duke? What is that about?

I don't know how much of a difference it would make in the analysis, but pretty sure if S.Carolina played Iowa's schedule its offensive stats (APG, PPG, etc.) would be better....

Durantula

PostPosted: 07/26/15 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

22 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I don't know how much of a difference it would make in the analysis, but pretty sure if S.Carolina played Iowa's schedule its offensive stats (APG, PPG, etc.) would be better....

I'm sure if Iowa had elite talent like A'Ja Wilson they would be better on offense too.

RP

PostPosted: 07/26/15 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

22 wrote:

Points Per Possession:

South Carolina 1.08
Iowa 1.04

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/26/15 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA down 19-21 to Russia at the 1Q. Good game.

Kolosovskai running wild.
Durantula

PostPosted: 07/26/15 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russia's PG is fun to watch

rykhala

PostPosted: 07/26/15 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As the announcers have suggested repeatedly, the half court defense of the USA is nowhere to be found.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/26/15 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vadeeva is really good. Great low post footwork.

Stevens keeping USA in this game.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/26/15 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The guard rotation is weird. Moore has played the entire first half and the PG spot has been split evenly between Ortiz, Dangerfield, and Slocum. Why play Moore so much? She really hasn't done much in her 20 minutes. In fact, none of the USA guards has scored (though all that played have registered assists). Why no minutes for Patberg? She's been pretty efficient when she's played. Moore is going to be sucking air in the second half when Walz definitely wants her in.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/26/15 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA up five at the half.

Kolosovskai and Vadeeva both have three fouls. That could be big at the end of the game.

Levchenko only has 2 points, but has outplayed the three US guards, who collectively have 0 points. Levchenko also has 5 assists to match their collective 5.

Russia went zone in the 2Q but the US didn't shoot threes. They kept attacking inside with passes and slashes.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/26/15 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Vadeeva is really good. Great low post footwork.

Stevens keeping USA in this game.

Yes, Stevens has been great! She's even hit 2 3's!

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/26/15 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There have been more good "basketball plays" by the Russian team, imo.

Sometimes the US defense seems clueless.

That 4-pass fast-break by the US was sweet.

Collier seems like she might be one of those "the only one to get x pts, x rebounds, x assists, x steals in UConn history" kind of players.

Stevens should be all-world at Duke, imo.

PostPosted: 07/26/15 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And where is Shakayla Thomas? Her offensive explosiveness could break open a tight game like this. Moore isn't effective as a shooter in this game.
Durantula

PostPosted: 07/26/15 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Weird lineup to end the 3rd for USA

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/26/15 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
And where is Shakayla Thomas? Her offensive explosiveness could break open a tight game like this. Moore isn't effective as a shooter in this game.

I believe that Thomas was sent back to the states for disciplinary reasons. But that's just a rumor.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/26/15 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Staley's disciplined dominate-the-paint offense and A'ja Wilson's impressive dominate-every-player-in-the-world talent beat the Russians, 78-70.

USA wins 6th consecutive U19 gold medal.

Wilson sets U19 record with 30 points.

USA wins points in the paint, 46-20, and FTA's, 23-12.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: