RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Conferences vs Majors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/11/15 9:30 am    ::: Conferences vs Majors Reply Reply with quote

How did the various conferences do when facing teams from the Power 5 conferences in OOC play?

PostPosted: 03/11/15 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting comparison among the top 10 conferences on this list, ranking them by games per team against major conference teams:

1t. ACC 51 games/15 teams = 3.4 games/team
1t. AAC 34 games/10 teams = 3.4 games/team
3. B1G 46 games/14 teams = 3.3 games/team
4. SEC 44 games/14 teams = 3.1 games/team
5. BEast 29 games/10 teams = 2.9 games/team
6. B12 27 games/10 teams = 2.7 games/team
7. P12 32 games/12 teams = 2.7 games/team
8. Horizon 23 games/9 teams = 2.6 games/team
9. A10 25 games/14 teams = 1.8 games/team
10. Ivy 10 games/8 teams = 1.2 games/team

(In case you're curious, the B12 and P12 really aren't tied - I'm just reporting everything to 1 digit.)

The AAC number would be meaningfully worse without UConn, which had 6 of the 34 OOC major conference opponents. If you took out the Huskies, the AAC would be 4th, behind the SEC.

Also, the SWAC actually is well ahead of the majors using this measure - SWAC teams averaged 3.9 games/team against major conference opponents.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/11/15 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not evenly distributed, that's for sure. If I counted correctly it looks like among the top ACC teams, Duke and ND each played seven, UNC played six, Louisville and FSU each played three.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/11/15 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Also, the SWAC actually is well ahead of the majors using this measure - SWAC teams averaged 3.9 games/team against major conference opponents.

That makes me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuQC5hhhqkY

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/11/15 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 03/11/15 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/11/15 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big 10 is interesting. MSU and OhSt each played five.

Maryland? Only played two OOC games against P5 conference teams and lost both of them.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/11/15 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Maryland? Only played two OOC games against P5 conference teams and lost both of them.

And Rutgers played 4, so three teams out of 14 accounted for better than 30% of the games against P5 opponents. Of course, that's kind of to be expected. The funny thing for RU is that it still had a pretty crummy OOC SOS because many of the rest of its OOC opponents had terrible years.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/11/15 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

And Rutgers played 4, so three teams out of 14 accounted for better than 30% of the games against P5 opponents.

The ACC is even more lopsided. Three teams out of fifteen (ND Duke and UNC) acount for 20 of the 51 P5 OOC games -- nearly 40%. The other 12 teams total only 31.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/11/15 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

And Rutgers played 4, so three teams out of 14 accounted for better than 30% of the games against P5 opponents. Of course, that's kind of to be expected. The funny thing for RU is that it still had a pretty crummy OOC SOS because many of the rest of its OOC opponents had terrible years.

Purdue played three. Their games demonstrate that not all OOC games against major conference opponents are created equal. The Boilers played Florida State, Kansas and Texas Tech. TTU and KU are both much than Green Bay, George Washington and Dayton, all of which Purdue also played (and lost to).

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/11/15 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Purdue played three. Their games demonstrate that not all OOC games against major conference opponents are created equal. The Boilers played Florida State, Kansas and Texas Tech. TTU and KU are both much than Green Bay, George Washington and Dayton, all of which Purdue also played (and lost to).

I don't disagree at all. The number of P5 teams played by any one team is only a rough guide to how hard the OOC was. When you look at the conference level, it's a somewhat better gauge, but still not perfect.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/12/15 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What non-majors posted winning records against individual majors?

AEast 2-0 vs B1G
BSky 1-0 vs SEC
CAA 1-0 vs P12
Horizon 1-0 vs P12
Ivy 1-0 vs B1G
MAAC 1-0 vs SEC
MAC 2-0 vs P12
WCC 1-0 vs SEC

PostPosted: 03/12/15 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
What non-majors posted winning records against individual majors?

AEast 2-0 vs B1G

Excellent scheduling by the AEast as both Albany (Preseason NIT) and Hartford defeated Penn State. Coincidentally, Albany will play Hartford for the AMERICA EAST championship this weekend.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/12/15 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU of the CAA beat UCLA, which I'd say is worth 2 victories against Penn State any day, at least this year. Wink

PostPosted: 03/12/15 10:04 am    ::: Re: Conferences vs Majors Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
How did the various conferences do when facing teams from the Power 5 conferences in OOC play?

Pilight, I realize that you have to draw the line somewhere when you make a comparison such as this one, but it seems strange to exclude OOC games against UConn, South Florida, Chattanooga, Green Bay, Princeton, FGCU, etc. If the comparison was to show how Power 5 teams accepted challenging OOC schedules (and how they performed with them), that might be more instructive. But maybe you were just interested in seeing how the conferences fared against each other?

Another interesting comparison might be to look at the Power 5 teams' records against NCAA tournament teams. Of course, we'll have to wait a few more days before collecting those data.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/12/15 10:30 am    ::: Re: Conferences vs Majors Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Pilight, I realize that you have to draw the line somewhere when you make a comparison such as this one, but it seems strange to exclude OOC games against UConn, South Florida, Chattanooga, Green Bay, Princeton, FGCU, etc. If the comparison was to show how Power 5 teams accepted challenging OOC schedules (and how they performed with them), that might be more instructive. But maybe you were just interested in seeing how the conferences fared against each other?

Another interesting comparison might be to look at the Power 5 teams' records against NCAA tournament teams. Of course, we'll have to wait a few more days before collecting those data.

Once the RPI is finalized next week I'll post conferences vs the various levels in OOC.

PostPosted: 03/12/15 10:58 am    ::: Re: Conferences vs Majors Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Once the RPI is finalized next week I'll post conferences vs the various levels in OOC.

Do you go through schedules team by team to cull all this data? I applaud you for a Herculean effort.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/12/15 11:06 am    ::: Re: Conferences vs Majors Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Do you go through schedules team by team to cull all this data? I applaud you for a Herculean effort.

WBB State has them broken down. I'll just have to subtract out the conference records of top 25 RPI teams to get the OOC top 25 records.

PostPosted: 03/23/15 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This turned out to be more work than expected. Here are your conferences vs top 25 RPI teams in non-conference play:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: