RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Moriah Jefferson wins Lieberman Award for best point guard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/06/15 9:28 pm    ::: Moriah Jefferson wins Lieberman Award for best point guard Reply Reply with quote

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/040615aae.html

PostPosted: 04/06/15 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another deserving winner. She's been excellent.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't argue that one. I had no real admiration for her game (beyond her speed) as a freshman. Geno's turned her into a top-tier player.

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like MoJeff a lot, but I have to ask if she played for anyone but UConn would she get this award? And I really think not.

- Amanda Gorman
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I like MoJeff a lot, but I have to ask if she played for anyone but UConn would she get this award? And I really think not.

Who are the judges who so favor UCONN as I do not know them. Does anyone?

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Who are the judges who so favor UCONN as I do not know them. Does anyone?

They hide Wink But if there is any question whatsoever, the vote goes to the one with UConn on the cover. JMO.

I don't think this one is egregious but if you were to stick the stats of say:
Boyd, Logic, and MoJeff into a box without their names/schools I suspect MoJeff would not be the winner. For that matter stick Dumiak in there too. And I say that as someone who had MoJeff on my fantasy team and was very very happy to have her.

- Amanda Gorman
sammieee

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

She has out-wordly stats to back it up. Half of it maybe because she plays with KML/Stewert/Tuck and because they play in the AAC, but you can't deny she's been awesome minus the beginning of the year.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Who do you think would win it?

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Logic or Boyd...if one of them played for UConn and had the same numbers they had this year.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Logic or Boyd...if one of them played for UConn and had the same numbers they had this year.

Suppose none of them played for UConn and they all had the same numbers, then who would win?

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Niya Johnson deserved it.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Kelsey Mitchell is the only future star.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FS02

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not arguing with the selection but it's a valid point that UConn always makes their point guards look good.

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Suppose none of them played for UConn and they all had the same numbers, then who would win?

that is a very good question. It would/should be a close vote, but I think I'd go with Logic.

- Amanda Gorman
sigur3

PostPosted: 04/06/15 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn or not, you could have given it to any of Jefferson, Romero, Johnson, Allen, Logic, or Boyd this season and each of them would be deserving. It's been a terrific year for PG play, just look at the finalists for this award for previous seasons...

Last edited by sigur3 on 04/06/15 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/06/15 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Johnson was #1 in the country in apg, #2 in the country in a/to, and had the top two highest single games assist totals in the country this season.

Considering it's an award for point guards, it should be a pretty big burden for anyone to beat that out when one player dominated the most important pg statistical categories.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/06/15 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
UConn or not, you could have given it to any of Jefferson, Romero, Johnson, Allen, Logic, or Boyd this season and each of them would be deserving. It's been a terrific year for PG play, just look at the finalists for this award for previous seasons...

You realize Romero and Boyd weren't finalists?

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/06/15 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

You realize Romero and Boyd weren't finalists?

Yes, that was my point actually.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/06/15 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

She has out-wordly stats to back it up.

Hmm. I'm not sure her stats are any more 'out-wordly' than those of Dixon or Boyle. Obviously, Mo's deserving of the consideration, but....I might tend to agree with Myrtle....especially when I think back now on Niya Johnson or Kelsey Mitchell, too. Anybody know or see the actual breakdown on voting?

PostPosted: 04/06/15 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Johnson was #1 in the country in apg, #2 in the country in a/to, and had the top two highest single games assist totals in the country this season.

Considering it's an award for point guards, it should be a pretty big burden for anyone to beat that out when one player dominated the most important pg statistical categories.

If it were just about Assists, then you would have a case. The thing is that a PG has to bring more than 'just' assists. MoJeff went from being an offensive liability to being an offensive threat, and to me that was what elevated her into this conversation. Niya needs to make that same jump. What made Boyd and Logic special this year was their all around play - they could score, assist, and rebound as well as being floor generals. Niya is still offensively challenged though she showed signs of being able to get beyond that.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/06/15 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

If it were just about Assists, then you would have a case. The thing is that a PG has to bring more than 'just' assists. MoJeff went from being an offensive liability to being an offensive threat, and to me that was what elevated her into this conversation. Niya needs to make that same jump. What made Boyd and Logic special this year was their all around play - they could score, assist, and rebound as well as being floor generals. Niya is still offensively challenged though she showed signs of being able to get beyond that.

Yeah, I understand the voters get impressed by scoring. Just showing my own bias that I think assists and a/to should be the biggest factors. When Johnson gets 17 assists in a game I don't really care how many points she scores. I'd use points to distinguish between players who are close on the assist side. But that's just me and I understand the award hasn't gone that way recently. But then, if it's primarily about points, it should have gone to Mitchell.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/07/15 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In presenting the award, John L. Doleva, President and CEO of the Basketball Hall of Fame said the follow:. "Her play mirrors the floor leadership, play-making and ball-handling skills of Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman and the many exceptional point guards who have received this award over the years."

Assist is but one facet of a point guard, one measurement. Play maker, equally as important but not necessarily measured by assists. A point guard can initiate an offensive play that leads to a pass that leads to another pass which becomes the assist when the third player scores as is often the case with UCONN and evident by the fact that five players have 100 or more assists for the Huskies. Moriah is the ball handler, the play maker but not necessarily the player who gets the assist.

PostPosted: 04/07/15 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess these awards should go the way of the Heisman, whoever is on team who has the best record should win all of the awards.

sammieee

PostPosted: 04/07/15 4:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
sammieee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

She has out-wordly stats to back it up.

Hmm. I'm not sure her stats are any more 'out-wordly' than those of Dixon or Boyle. Obviously, Mo's deserving of the consideration, but....I might tend to agree with Myrtle....especially when I think back now on Niya Johnson or Kelsey Mitchell, too. Anybody know or see the actual breakdown on voting?

Her shooting numbers are insane for a guard. 60% FG, 50% 3pt. 3 to 1 ATO. Great defender. Again, a lot may be due to competition plus her teammates, but not many guards have put up numbers like that.

I'm far from a UConn fan, but Moriah deserves it.

NickDMB

PostPosted: 04/07/15 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reality is that Boyd, Logic, and Johnson (who I don't think is in the same category as the first three, but I thought I'd include her) get more assists because their teams require that they be a more dominant contributor in the offense.

Do you really think that if you swapped Moriah Jefferson and Brittany Boyd that Cal would be better and UConn would be worse? This UConn fan would take the player who can spread the floor any day.

Amongst this group, Moriah is the one who's game doesn't have any holes; she's blinding quick, a great penetrator, a great finisher, a great shooter, a great passer, and a mature decision maker. The unspoken reality is that if she played for Cal or Iowa or Baylor, she'd have more assists, score much more, and have lower shooting percentages. But she's playing on a team that is scoring 89.9 PPG and where every starter has 100 assists. When you look at what she has produced relative to what her team needs, the results (and her efficiency stats) are off the charts: I've never heard of another guard that is shooting 60% from the field and 50% from 3 while scoring 17.4 PP40 (all three of which were significantly better than Boyd's, Johnson's, and Logic's numbers the last time I checked about a month ago), let alone while maintaining a 3.2 assist to turnover ratio.

I would have been OK with Logic winning this award too, but I think that Jefferson has a fairly dominant statistical argument to be made over anyone else, once you account for the fact that she's playing under different circumstances.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: