RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Feinberg article on Kevin McGuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/10/15 9:08 am    ::: Feinberg article on Kevin McGuff Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ohio-state-enters-womens-basketball-top-25-174400145--ncaaw.html

I think McGuff is a keck of a coach and has done a remarkable job this year. The return of Waterman and Holland in particular should really strengthen them next year. I expect OHSt to be winning some B10 titles right away and probably to continue to do so.

newkid

PostPosted: 03/10/15 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you are right that he's a good coach. And I'm sure he's probably a good guy, too. But there's something about his insolent face that makes me want to slap him. Photos in that article are exhibit A. Laughing

bacabuck

PostPosted: 03/10/15 10:50 am    ::: Re: Feinberg article on Kevin McGuff Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ohio-state-enters-womens-basketball-top-25-174400145--ncaaw.html

I think McGuff is a keck of a coach and has done a remarkable job this year. The return of Waterman and Holland in particular should really strengthen them next year. I expect OHSt to be winning some B10 titles right away and probably to continue to do so.

Thank you for that!......He IS a keck of a coach and an excellent one also.

As for his looks, that is always a personal bias, but I think his looks are just fine.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/10/15 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:
I think you are right that he's a good coach. And I'm sure he's probably a good guy, too. But there's something about his insolent face that makes me want to slap him. Photos in that article are exhibit A. Laughing

That's how I feel about Brenda Freses. She has this evil look on her face.

sigur3

PostPosted: 03/10/15 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:

He had the same look on his face for pretty much the entire tournament, until he got T'd up in the final.

He has done an excellent job there though.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 03/11/15 4:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He's done a nice job and he bought the #1 recruit in the nation. Clearly he knows if you're going to buy something, buy the best. It has been a worthwhile investment. Mitchell is the best freshman in the country and should be a full-fledged All-American. McGuff knows how to maneuver within the system and pulled a similar ploy to get players to Xavier, which got him a BCS job.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/11/15 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
He's done a nice job and he bought the #1 recruit in the nation. Clearly he knows if you're going to buy something, buy the best. It has been a worthwhile investment. Mitchell is the best freshman in the country and should be a full-fledged All-American. McGuff knows how to maneuver within the system and pulled a similar ploy to get players to Xavier, which got him a BCS job.

Yes, he got the best that money can buy (Mitchell is extraordinarily talented) and it's already beginning to pay dividends. McGuff knows how to work the system to the max!

My eyes roll up in my head when I think about the fact that giving a recruit's father a good-paying job for 5 years (not to mention providing her mom with a free graduate education) is OK within the NCAA system, but if our booster club serves pizza and chicken wings at a post-game event where current players' families may be in attendance -- that is a potential NCAA violation. [We are permitted (and we do) provide fruit punch, mini pretzels and potato chips. Those, apparently, are OK under the NCAA rules.] Rolling Eyes

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 03/11/15 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know Mitchell's sister, a marginal D-1 player, also got a scholarship. At Xavier he hired someone connected to a prominent AAU program and it got him players.

This is seemingly the trend in how to land top recruits for many schools. Louisville maneuvered to get Durr. Baylor hired an AAU coach to help get Griner/Sims. Texas hired an AAU coach. UNC's Trisha Stafford-Odom mysteriously disappeared after the stellar class she brought in.

That's recruiting!

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/11/15 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're right that plenty of other teams are helping themselves by doing stuff like you mentioned to help them land the top recruits. Everybody's looking for a recruiting edge.

It's just that the magnitude of this deal (though legal), just makes my head spin. Father, mother and sister . . . that's a 5-year package deal that's probably bumping up against $1million in value to the family. [But boosters can't buy pizza for players' families.]

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/12/15 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
newkid wrote:

He had the same look on his face for pretty much the entire tournament, until he got T'd up in the final.

He's the most complainingest coach I've ever seen in person. I sat across from the UW bench a couple of years ago when the Huskies came to Westwood, and he griped about, literally, every single call that went against the Dawgs. Every. Single. One.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/12/15 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a fan of the whole hiring the father of a top recruit to get their services. Brings a little of that sleazy element of men's basketball to the women's game which is too bad.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/13/15 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember when Jantel Lavendar's twin sister, Jazmine, was given a scholarship to act as a manager for OSU? They were a package deal, too. Jazmine now works in their compliance office.

I love watching Kelsey play. I'm a little worried about her knees. If you'd ever seen her dad try to walk across the court, you might notice the way his knees are collapsing inward. I don't think it's all weight. Kelsey's knees have a slightly similar bend.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/13/15 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Remember when Jantel Lavendar's twin sister, Jazmine, was given a scholarship to act as a manager for OSU? They were a package deal, too. Jazmine now works in their compliance office.

I love watching Kelsey play. I'm a little worried about her knees. If you'd ever seen her dad try to walk across the court, you might notice the way his knees are collapsing inward. I don't think it's all weight. Kelsey's knees have a slightly similar bend.

Oh, I'm sure the weight is a huge factor. 😊

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 03/13/15 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though this was an obvious package deal, Kelsey's father does have credentials. I believe he was the top AAU coach in Ohio and taught his daughter. I mean, there are head coaches out there with less credibility than him.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/13/15 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also don't think this was a situation of offering this out of the blue to "buy" the recruit. I think this is a situation of a "stage father" from whom the girl is either unwilling or unable to separate herself and who wants daddy around to continue to be her coach.

It's an unfortunate situation. But if you want the girl, you take the package.

If McGuff wants to use up one of his maximum four coaching positions and one of his 15 scholarships on the father and sister, then so be it. This kind of stuff happens every day in recruiting.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/13/15 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelsey's dad also coached one of Ohio State's top football players who played basketball too.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: