RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who Is Your NFOY?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's Your Choice?
Brianna Turner
29%
 29%  [ 15 ]
Kelsey Mitchell
62%
 62%  [ 32 ]
Aja Wilson
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 51

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/08/15 10:26 pm    ::: Who Is Your NFOY? Reply Reply with quote

I Think its pretty safe too say there only 3 Players In Consideration. ..

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell.

She's been first or second all season in D1 scoring. She can shoot from outside, drive with circus abandon but surgical control, and drop assists to teammates. My eye test says she's near the same area code as Odyssey Sims and Jewell Loyd.

Turner and Wilson are solid players and will be AA's in later years, but Mitchell has the most magic.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Mitchell.

She's been first or second all season in D1 scoring. She can shoot from outside, drive with circus abandon but surgical control, and drop assists to teammates. My eye test says she's near the same area code as Odyssey Sims and Jewell Loyd.

Turner and Wilson are solid players and will be AA's in later years, but Mitchell has the most magic.

This! She reminds me more of a more explosive tiffany hayes. Handle way better than hayes though. Same could be said for her jumper and finishing ability. I would say Shes Tiffany Hayes 2.0 , but if Mitchell the better version of the two would that make Hayes Kelsey Mitchell 1.5?? Laughing

PostPosted: 03/09/15 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not surprised by the poll results. Fans tend to go ga ga over high scoring volume shooters, especially ones who dominate play on mediocre teams.

The voter pools tend to see and understand the broader contribution and skill set.

It's not a "Highest Scoring Freshman of the Year" award. If it was, you wouldn't need committees or votes, you could just look at the official stats.

I'll still be surprised if Wilson doesn't win it.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/09/15 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell! She's the best that money can buy.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 03/09/15 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Not surprised by the poll results. Fans tend to go ga ga over high scoring volume shooters, especially ones who dominate play on mediocre teams.

The voter pools tend to see and understand the broader contribution and skill set.

It's not a "Highest Scoring Freshman of the Year" award. If it was, you wouldn't need committees or votes, you could just look at the official stats.

Mitchell may shoot at a high volume, but her FG% and 3pt FG% are pretty solid. I would also point out that she gets to the line a ton and is around an 83% FT. You have to take in to account that of the three freshmen, Mitchell has to do the most for her team. She does not have the supporting cast the ND and USC have. Of the three, she by far has the most advanced skill set.

I agree with you ok Wilson. ESPN has hyped her up more than any freshmen. I think her stats are great, but she has not been better than Mitchell, Turner, or Stevens for that matter.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/09/15 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Mitchell may shoot at a high volume, but her FG% and 3pt FG% are pretty solid. I would also point out that she gets to the line a ton and is around an 83% FT. You have to take in to account that of the three freshmen, Mitchell has to do the most for her team. She does not have the supporting cast the ND and USC have. Of the three, she by far has the most advanced skill set.

I agree with you ok Wilson. ESPN has hyped her up more than any freshmen. I think her stats are great, but she has not been better than Mitchell, Turner, or Stevens for that matter.

Turner, as a freshman, is leading the nation (all players) in FG%. In fact while differences in these stats are usually measured in tenths of a percent, she has a massive FIVE PERCENT lead over the 2nd person.

And she has blocks, and rebounds, and is a defensive presence, etc. etc. etc.

It's interesting that lots of points seem to be the single criteria a lot of people here are considering for this award, but look at who the top ten scorers in the country are. Not exactly a list of superstars. What it requires is being the centerpiece of the offense on a mediocre team and having the green light to crank up as many shots as humanly possible. Here's the top 10. Notice there's not single player from a top 25 team on this list. I guess that must mean that none of the best players in the country play on any of the top 25 teams.

1 Kelsey Mitchell Ohio St. 24.8
2 Jasmine Nwajei Wagner 24.8
3 Damika Martinez Iona 23.8
4 Ashia Jones UT Martin 23.6
5 Alexa Hayward Saint Francis (PA) 23.2
6 Kelsey Plum Washington 22.8
7 Tay'Ler Mingo Wright St. 22.6
8 Brittany Crain UC Riverside 22.1
9 Lizzy Wendell Drake 22.1
10 Kelsey Minato Army 22.0

A good example of the difference between good shooters and chuckers can be seen by looking at the 3 pt stats. Melissa Dixon leads the nation in the number of 3 pt baskets per game. But she also hits a very high percentage, ranking 5th in the country in 3 pt percentage. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis ranks third in the number of 3 pt baskets per game, but leads the nation in 3 pt shooting percentage. These two are making a lot of threes, but they are also making a very high percentage of the three point attempts they take.

Mitchell? She ranks second in the number of 3s made per game. 3 pt percentage? She ranks 61st. In other words, she's making a lot of threes not because she's shooting them particularly well, but because she is throwing up an incredible number of them - nearly ten per game.

I call that a volume shooter.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/09/15 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Turner, as a freshman, is leading the nation (all players) in FG%.

Some people would use this to point to limited offensive skills. Is she as special as Gatling last year?

ArtBest23 wrote:

Nothing special going on here.

ArtBest23 wrote:

I guess this is Art's way of comparing the Big Ten to mid-major conferences. Laughing

Mitchell has the potential to be the best guard ever. Even better than Notre Dame girl Loyd? Yeah, even better than her!

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Mitchell has the potential to be the best guard ever. Even better than Notre Dame girl Loyd? Yeah, even better than her!

Notre Dame fans be complaining about Mitchell being FOTY candidate over Turner, when they aren't complaining about Jewell Loyd being a POTY candidate even though Loyd's overall shooting #'s aren't any different than Mitchell's:

eFg%:
Mitchell: 51.1%
Loyd: 49.8%

TS%
Mitchell: 56.4%
Loyd: 56.7%

Shades

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

Notre Dame fans be complaining about Mitchell being FOTY candidate over Turner, when they aren't complaining about Jewell Loyd being a POTY candidate even though Loyd's overall shooting #'s aren't any different than Mitchell's:

eFg%:

TS%

Yep, the argument gets flipped when you talk about Zahui being NPOY. Shouldn't art being talking Zahui up because she rebounds, blocks and defends at an elite level?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I guess this is Art's way of comparing the Big Ten to mid-major conferences. Laughing

Once again Shades declares that 2+2=3.

Shades wrote:

You might as well have just put a big red "Just Trolling" sign on your post.

I bet you loved Sugar Rodgers too.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Yep, the argument gets flipped when you talk about Zahui being NPOY. Shouldn't art being talking Zahui up because she rebounds, blocks and defends at an elite level?

Agreed!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

eFg%:

TS%

Try harder. Looking at Loyd's entire performance, she has been the best performer and is the POY.

Looking at Turner's entire performance, she has been the best performer and is the POY.

It's not that hard if you open your eyes.

Better had local coronary units on call though the days the POY awards are announced. If Loyd wins there are going to be some Boneyard members on life support.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, whenever art gets frustrated and gets beat at an argument, he breaks out the "you're trolling" like clockwork.

Mitchell is comparable to Rodgers? Who is trolling? Laughing

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Yep, whenever art gets frustrated and gets beat at an argument, he breaks out the "you're trolling" like clockwork.

Mitchell is comparable to Rodgers? Who is trolling? Laughing

It's a better comparison than declaring that Mitchell will be better than Loyd.

When Shades is losing he just starts mischaracterizing what the other poster never said. Much easier to knock down your own strawmen than address the actual point that was made.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

Agreed!

And if Zauhi did it consistently and more importantly was actually leading her team to something meaningful like a Big10 title, she'd probably be in the discussion.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

Agreed!

And if Zauhi did it consistently and more importantly was actually leading her team to something meaningful like a Big10 title, she'd probably be in the discussion.

Oh, so if Loyd was on the Gophers, instead of Zahui, they would've won the Big Ten title? Twisted Evil

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 03/09/15 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Turner, as a freshman, is leading the nation (all players) in FG%. In fact while differences in these stats are usually measured in tenths of a percent, she has a massive FIVE PERCENT lead over the 2nd person.

It's interesting that lots of points seem to be the single criteria a lot of people here are considering for this award, but look at who the top ten scorers in the country are. Not exactly a list of superstars. What it requires is being the centerpiece of the offense on a mediocre team and having the green light to crank up as many shots as humanly possible. Here's the top 10. Notice there's not single player from a top 25 team on this list. I guess that must mean that none of the best players in the country play on any of the top 25 teams.

A good example of the difference between good shooters and chuckers can be seen by looking at the 3 pt stats. Melissa Dixon leads the nation in the number of 3 pt baskets per game. But she also hits a very high percentage, ranking 5th in the country in 3 pt percentage. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis ranks third in the number of 3 pt baskets per game, but leads the nation in 3 pt shooting percentage. These two are making a lot of threes, but they are also making a very high percentage of the three point attempts they take.

Mitchell? She ranks second in the number of 3s made per game. 3 pt percentage? She ranks 61st. In other words, she's making a lot of threes not because she's shooting them particularly well, but because she is throwing up an incredible number of them - nearly ten per game.

I call that a volume shooter.

Well as of today, Ohio State is in the top 25 and I wouldn't call them mediocre. I think a lot of her efficiency stats have to do with the amount of time she has to be on court. They are basically playing a 6 man rotation with the 6 man being a forward. She pretty much has to take over all point guard duties the entire game. I think Turner is an amazing talent. It should be either her or Mitchell. I will say from what I have seen of Mitchell, she is one of the most talented guards I have seen in a long long time. The talent is and potential are off the charts.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

Agreed!

Oh, so if Loyd was on the Gophers, instead of Zahui, they would've won the Big Ten title? Twisted Evil

If Stewart was on the Gophers, instead of Zahui, would they have won the Big Ten Title?

I'll give you the same answer for Loyd as you give me for Stewart.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
If Stewart was on the Gophers, instead of Zahui, would they have won the Big Ten Title?

Probably not.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/09/15 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Probably not.

Ok, now tell me who has ever won the Wooden or AP POY, or at least in the last 15 years the Wade Trophy, without playing for at least a title contender if not the eventual national champion.

That may not be fair, but that's the way it is, which pretty much rules Zahui out of it.

And1

PostPosted: 03/09/15 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelsey Mitchell is BY FAR the FOTY, and it's not even close. You can't compare FG% and other stats, as she does not play the same position as the other two. She has been far more valuable to her team than either Turner or Wilson, even though they are valuable to their respective teams. Mitchell is the best guard I have seen in a long time and before it's all said and done, she may well be the best ever.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/09/15 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Probably not.

Ok, now tell me who has ever won the Wooden or AP POY, or at least in the last 15 years the Wade Trophy, without playing for at least a title contender if not the eventual national champion.

That may not be fair, but that's the way it is, which pretty much rules Zahui out of it.

But those "unwritten rules" don't necessarily apply to FOTY.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/09/15 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Probably not.

But those "unwritten rules" don't necessarily apply to FOTY.

You were the one who interjected the question.

I never said it did apply.

sammieee

PostPosted: 03/09/15 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell is also my FOY.

I'm curious to see how well Asia Durr does next year. About 2 years ago, I saw Durr lead the Georgia Pistols over Mitchell and All Ohio Black in an AAU game. Durr was CLEARLY the best player on the court (though Mitchell was excellent as well). Plus All Ohio Black had a much more talented team as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: