RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Best wallflowers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/28/15 8:32 pm    ::: Best wallflowers? Reply Reply with quote

Not the Jakob Dylan kind.

We're coming up on the Big Dance, and as we all know, only 64 teams get to hit the floor every year, and of those teams, many are the same faces over and over again.

So who are the best players that you've ever seen who have NEVER made an NCAA tournament? Who do you wish with all your heart could have made the tournament so that the entire nation could see them and know what they can do?

(Please note: this question only pertains to the NCAA era of WCBB. Can't go to a dance if it's not being held.)

PostPosted: 02/28/15 8:51 pm    ::: Re: Best wallflowers? Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Not the Jakob Dylan kind.

We're coming up on the Big Dance, and as we all know, only 64 teams get to hit the floor every year, and of those teams, many are the same faces over and over again.

So who are the best players that you've ever seen who have NEVER made an NCAA tournament? Who do you wish with all your heart could have made the tournament so that the entire nation could see them and know what they can do?

(Please note: this question only pertains to the NCAA era of WCBB. Can't go to a dance if it's not being held.)

Easy. Rachael Banham.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 02/28/15 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can think of quite a few. Hamby from Wake Forest, Kaela Davis from Georgia Tech, Nia Holley from Northwestern, and Alleyne from Oregon. Rachelle Banham would be the number one though. She can flat out ball.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/28/15 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
I can think of quite a few. Hamby from Wake Forest, Kaela Davis from Georgia Tech, Nia Holley from Northwestern, and Alleyne from Oregon. Rachelle Banham would be the number one though. She can flat out ball.

Kaela Davis scored 16 points in a 20 point loss to LSU in the first round last year as a freshman.
If Nia Holley is Nia Coffey, she is a sophomore and Northwestern is making the NCAA Tournament this year, so she doesn't count either.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/28/15 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

Kaela Davis scored 16 points in a 20 point loss to LSU in the first round last year as a freshman.
If Nia Holley is Nia Coffey, she is a sophomore and Northwestern is making the NCAA Tournament this year, so she doesn't count either.

If you consider Banham as a part of her team, she's making it this year also.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 02/28/15 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

Didn't realize Georgia Tech made the tourney last year. Sorry about the wrong name. I meant Coffey. There is a top High School kid from the same state named Nia Hollie. I got them mixed up.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/28/15 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Banham's also got another year.

I don't think I sufficiently hedged around the original question- my intent was to come up with players who have either completed their careers or are seniors with no hope bar a miracle of making the tournament.

PostPosted: 02/28/15 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

She never made it the tournament when she actually played.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 02/28/15 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I don't think I sufficiently hedged around the original question- my intent was to come up with players who have either completed their careers or are seniors with no hope bar a miracle of making the tournament.
has Washington State made it in the last 4 years? Galdiera is pretty impressive.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/28/15 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

This is the very best definition of a wallflower. She'll go to the dance, but she won't do any actual dancing.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sigur3

PostPosted: 02/28/15 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

This is the very best definition of a wallflower. She'll go to the dance, but she won't do any actual dancing.

Sounds like my kind of girl!

FS02

PostPosted: 03/01/15 2:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

has Washington State made it in the last 4 years? Galdiera is pretty impressive.

I'll second that, assuming Wazzu never goes to the dance, Galdiera is a badass.

PostPosted: 03/01/15 3:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toni Thomas of Cal State Fullerton, if not for injuries she would have finished her career with 2,000 points and 2,000 rebounds. She was fun to watch on the court because of her versatility, she could hit the 3, post up and take you off the dribble.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/01/15 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just wanted to say this is a great question. No one to add yet, but enjoying the contributions.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 03/01/15 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jolene Anderson belongs on the list...

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/01/15 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jacki Gemelos - USC --had no records to note in college, except enduring 6 ACL's

Briana Gilbreath - USC - finished 10th in scoring in USC History and 9th in rebounds

Ashley Corral - USC finished 12th in scoring in USC history and 1st in 3 pointers made(both in a career and a season)

Christina Marinacci - USC. Finished 10th in USC in rebounds.

All were McDonalds All Americans

Briana has played in the WNBA. All are playing, or have played overseas.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/01/15 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Judie Lomax, who played her freshman year at Oregon State and two years at (Roar-Lions-Roar) Columbia.

At Oregon State in 2006-07: Started in all 28 games she played ... named to the Pac-10 All-Freshman team ... second on the team with 10.9 points per game ... led team with 7.7 rebounds per game ... led Pac-10 in field goal percentage (.645) and was fifth in the Pac-10 in rebounding

At Columbia in 2009-10: Became first Columbia player to be named Ivy League Women's Basketball Player of the Year ... unanimous first team All-Ivy League selection ... named honorable mention Associated Press All-American ... first team All-Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association ... named Ivy League Player of the Week six times (12/14, 1/4, 1/18, 1/25, 2/22 & 3/8) ... led nation in rebounding for second consecutive season, becoming first player in NCAA history to accomplish the feat ... totaled 398 rebounds, placing her second on the all-time single-season list at Columbia ... set school record with 72 steals in a season ... led Ivy League in scoring (18.6 ppg), rebounding (14.2 rpg), steals (2.6 spg), and minutes played (37.6 mpg) ... ranked second in the country with 21 double-doubles

Aside from being a prodigious rebounder, Lomax was a great defender who led the conference in steals and had great speed to lead fast breaks.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mMIg9M2yLrs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
stever

PostPosted: 03/01/15 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amy Jaeschke, Northwestern

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/01/15 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebekkah Brunson never made the tournament.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/02/15 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Rebekkah Brunson never made the tournament.

Shocked Shocked Really!? I never knew that.

stever wrote:
Amy Jaeschke, Northwestern

That's a sad one....Is she still playing?

The only one I could think of was Megan Herbert, from UCA. Her first real chance was the year when she was a senior, and, though favored to do so, they did NOT win the Southland tourney that year, and didn't have a hope for an at-large.

PostPosted: 03/02/15 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Andrea Congreaves, the first player in NCAA history to lead the nation in scoring twice.

PostPosted: 03/03/15 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jerica Coley of FIU
Led the nation in scoring, I think, in 12/13 and 13/14.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 03/03/15 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Jerica Coley of FIU
Led the nation in scoring, I think, in 12/13 and 13/14.

#HolyColey

I was so sad when their dancing in the C-USA Tourney was ended by those villains from that other team in Tennessee.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/06/15 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Le sigh. Now it's official: Siena beat Iona, and Damika Martinez doesn't get to the Dance. Breaks all the records, but no tournament. Sad

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: