RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pac-12 Tournament
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/03/15 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:

It's interesting to me that 13 different Pac-12 players have been selected as POWs over the course of the season, yet not one of those 13 POWs was ultimately named POY… that went to Reshanda Gray (a woman who'd not once been named POW this season). I wonder if that's ever happened before.

That's such a travesty! No way she deserves this. I would have gone with Jillian Alleyne (who got more than twice as many rebounds!) before her. I actually would have been better with Boyd. And nobody from OSU or ASU, the top two teams, made first team! Ridiculous. I'm a Stanford homer but don't think Lili Thompson deserved first team this year either. I really don't know how this could happen. I can't help thinking there was politics around it. Maybe Mary Murphy secretly voted for several of the coaches.

- Amanda Gorman
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/03/15 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

It's interesting to me that 13 different Pac-12 players have been selected as POWs over the course of the season, yet not one of those 13 POWs was ultimately named POY… that went to Reshanda Gray (a woman who'd not once been named POW this season). I wonder if that's ever happened before.

That's such a travesty! No way she deserves this. I would have gone with Jillian Alleyne (who got more than twice as many rebounds!) before her.

Eh, I don't know about "travesty". I just think there're a lot of very good players in the Pac-12, and not necessarily any one single above-and-beyond star, so there were many legitimate options from which to select. An excellent case could be made for Alleyne, sure, though I'm guessing that maybe some voters couldn't justify giving the POY award to a player whose team went 6-12 in the Pac (the same way some baseball writers refuse to give their MVP vote to a player whose team doesn't win its division). Again, though, that's just a guess on my part.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/04/15 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the complete list of Pac-12 award winners.

Pac-12 Player of the Year: Reshanda Gray, California

Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year: Ruth Hamblin, Oregon State

Pac-12 Freshman of the Year: Jordin Canada, UCLA

John R. Wooden Pac-12 Coach of the Year: Scott Rueck, Oregon State

All-Pac-12 Team:
Jillian Alleyne, Oregon
Promise Amukamara, Arizona State
Brittany Boyd, California
Sophie Brunner, Arizona State
Jazmine Davis, Washington
Nirra Fields, UCLA
Lia Galdeira, Washington State
Reshanda Gray, California
Ruth Hamblin, Oregon State
Amber Orrange, Stanford
Kelsey Plum, Washington
Lili Thompson, Stanford
Alexyz Vaioletama, USC
Jamie Weisner, Oregon State
Sydney Wiese, Oregon State

All-Defensive Team:
Jillian Alleyne, Oregon
Lisa Galdeira, Washington State
Amber Orrange, Stanford

All-Freshmen Team:
McKenzie Calvert, USC
Jordin Canada, UCLA
Mikayla Cowling, California
Gabby Green, California
Kaylee Johnson, Stanford

http://pac-12.com/article/2015/03/03/2014-15-pac-12-womens-basketball-honors

Congrats to all the award winners!!

Last edited by GEF34 on 03/04/15 4:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
GEF34

PostPosted: 03/04/15 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

That's such a travesty! No way she deserves this. I would have gone with Jillian Alleyne (who got more than twice as many rebounds!) before her. I actually would have been better with Boyd. And nobody from OSU or ASU, the top two teams, made first team! Ridiculous. I'm a Stanford homer but don't think Lili Thompson deserved first team this year either. I really don't know how this could happen. I can't help thinking there was politics around it. Maybe Mary Murphy secretly voted for several of the coaches.

I'm not sure what you mean, there is only one 15 person All-Pac-12 team, and it has 2 players from Arizona State and 3 players from Oregon State.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/04/15 3:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the first link posted had only 5 players: Gray, Boyd, Thompson, Orrange, and Davis. That made no sense to me. The bigger list does include the people who belong there anyway...but I'm still outraged that Gray is POY - to me she is maybe #5 or #6 on the list of who deserves it. I just don't see it.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/04/15 3:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
the first link posted had only 5 players: Gray, Boyd, Thompson, Orrange, and Davis. That made no sense to me. The bigger list does include the people who belong there anyway...but I'm still outraged that Gray is POY - to me she is maybe #5 or #6 on the list of who deserves it. I just don't see it.

Interesting.

As far as Player of the Year goes, of the list of candidates I think she was the most deserving. I think although her stats aren't as good as others, her play is key to the success of Cal.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/04/15 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First of all, no way, even the Cal fans questioned her over Boyd. Cal basically underachieved if you think about the hype from the start of the season. She was in foul trouble most of her career and couldn't stay on the court so in essence has let her team down and not learned to be a better defender. I would say she is probably the player who throws the most elbows and has gotten away with several flag rants on top of her fouling.

If not a player from OSU, alleyne is by far the better player than Gray.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/04/15 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Gray picked up early fouls, she had to sit the rest of the half. Oregon probably doesn't have that luxury with Alleyne. As a team on the season, Cal committed 8 fewer fouls than their opponents. On the season, Gray only committed 5 more PF than her PG Boyd and 12 more than Alleyne. What's all the fuss over PFs?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 03/04/15 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it's not a player from one of the top two teams (OSU/ASU) then I would have gone with Kelsey Plum or Jillian Alleyne.

Gray has plenty of pro potential and due to one of the weakest senior classes is a likely top 4 pick in the WNBA draft. But she doesn't give off the quality of play that past Pac 12 POY's have.

Congrats to Reshanda though. I believe she is the 2nd POY for Cal following Devanei Hampton.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/04/15 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
If it's not a player from one of the top two teams (OSU/ASU) then I would have gone with Kelsey Plum or Jillian Alleyne.

Gray has plenty of pro potential and due to one of the weakest senior classes is a likely top 4 pick in the WNBA draft. But she doesn't give off the quality of play that past Pac 12 POY's have.

Congrats to Reshanda though. I believe she is the 2nd POY for Cal following Devanei Hampton.

She was a character! and deserved POY too.

- Amanda Gorman
FS02

PostPosted: 03/04/15 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know who should have won, but I am surprised; I thought Ruth Hamblin was going to win it. In the absence of a clear-cut winner, it usually goes to best-player-on-best-team.

PostPosted: 03/04/15 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If Gray picked up early fouls, she had to sit the rest of the half. Oregon probably doesn't have that luxury with Alleyne. As a team on the season, Cal committed 8 fewer fouls than their opponents. On the season, Gray only committed 5 more PF than her PG Boyd and 12 more than Alleyne. What's all the fuss over PFs?

Well having watched her in high school and for the last 4 years, I do not like the way she throws "bows" and tries to knock players teeth out, that simple!

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/04/15 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I recall media Pac-12 awards a couple of years ago, but I don't remember one last year, maybe I missed it. Anyways here are the 2015 Media Pac-12 Award winners.

Media Pac-12 Player of the Year: Ruth Hamblin, Oregon State

Media Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year: Ruth Hamblin, Oregon State

Media Pac-12 Freshman of the Year: Jordin Canada, UCLA

Media Pac-12 Coach of the Year: Scott Rueck, Oregon State

Media All-Pac-12 Team:
Jillian Alleyne, Oregon
Sophie Brunner, Arizona State
Jazmine Davis, Washington
Nirra Fields, UCLA
Lia Galdeira, Washington State
Reshanda Gray, California
Amber Orrange, Stanford
Kelsey Plum, Washington
Lili Thompson, Stanford
Jamie Weisner, Oregon State
Taryn Wicijowski, Utah
Sydney Wiese, Oregon State

Media All-Defensive Team:
Jillian Alleyne, Oregon
Lisa Galdeira, Washington State

Media All-Freshmen Team:
Lexi Bando, Oregon
Jordin Canada, UCLA
Mikayla Cowling, California
Gabby Green, California
Kaylee Johnson, Stanford

http://pac-12.com/article/2015/03/04/2014-15-womens-basketball-media-honors

FS02

PostPosted: 03/04/15 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Team looks exactly the same except the media replaced Vaioletama with Wicijowski. And Calvert with Bando. Are a lot of the media people from UCLA? Wink

PostPosted: 03/05/15 3:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's official the 1st day of the 2015 Pac-12 Tournament.

Here is the schedule for the 1st day:
All times are Pacific and games are shown on the Pac-12 Networks

11:30am #10 Oregon vs #7 Washington State

2:00pm #11 Arizona vs #6 UCLA

6:00pm #9 Colorado vs #8 USC

8:30pm #12 Utah vs #5 Washington

This should be the 1st day of an exciting and unpredictable tournament. I'm guessing there will be a few upsets along the way.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/05/15 3:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
Team looks exactly the same except the media replaced Vaioletama with Wicijowski. And Calvert with Bando. Are a lot of the media people from UCLA? Wink

I'm actually a bit surprised USC didn't get more love from the coaches and media. I thought for sure Kristen Simon would have at least gotten 1 vote for the All-Freshmen Team, and Kaneisha Horn for All-Pac-12. In my opinion USC did under perform, at times this season and I'm sure that played a role. And I'm sure Kristen Simon not making the Washington trip because of team violations was in the minds of coaches and media voters. I also think Alexyz Vaioletama missing the last 2 games with a concussion played a role in some of the Media going with Taryn Wicijowski over her.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/05/15 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:

Ha!

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/05/15 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Karlie Samuelson of Stanford had surgery on her pinky yesterday and is done for the year.
Not good news for the farm.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/05/15 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Karlie Samuelson of Stanford had surgery on her pinky yesterday and is done for the year.
Not good news for the farm.

That's too bad for Karlie, but Stanford has shooters aplenty. They'll just plug another one in.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/05/15 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantastic start to the tourny with a WSU win over Oregon by a smidge. Oregon shot a 3 which would have won the game, but the clock had expired.

- Amanda Gorman
FS02

PostPosted: 03/05/15 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Fantastic start to the tourny with a WSU win over Oregon by a smidge. Oregon shot a 3 which would have won the game, but the clock had expired.

Agreed, it's always entertaining when those 2 match up. The crowd was not big, but pretty loud and partial to WSU.

PostPosted: 03/05/15 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now we have this entirely un interesting game UCLA - Arizona in which the only drama is how long will we have to wait after the game to hear that Arizona is conducting a new head coach search.

- Amanda Gorman
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/05/15 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Now we have this entirely un interesting game UCLA - Arizona...

Well, UCLA fans like myself found it interesting.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/05/15 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Now we have this entirely un interesting game UCLA - Arizona in which the only drama is how long will we have to wait after the game to hear that Arizona is conducting a new head coach search.

Like Patsweetpat I did not think this game was entirely uninteresting Wink

BTW did you get the email I sent you a couple of days ago?

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/06/15 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An award that I think if not publicized enough was announced today.

Taryn Wicijowski was named 2015 Pac-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

http://pac-12.com/article/2015/03/05/utahs-wicijowski-named-womens-basketball-scholar-athlete-year

Congrats to her, I know how hard it is to balance athletes and academics, and she has done an awesome job at both, especially when she was going through her injury and rehab, I'd have to imagine it was just as hard on her mental as it was physically.

While I do understand the important of Player of the Year and and Defensive Player of the Year, I think this award should be seen at the same level as those, which they aren't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: