RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Brawl ends SWAC game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/07/15 11:07 pm    ::: Brawl ends SWAC game Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12442067/brawl-leads-double-forfeit-southern-texas-southern-women-game

Quote:
Officials ruled the game a double forfeit.

PostPosted: 03/08/15 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a double forfeit... and yet the league says the score will stand, which would indicate that Southern technically wins and evens their conference record with Texas Southern.

...da fuh? Am I reading this right?

PostPosted: 03/08/15 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
It was a double forfeit... and yet the league says the score will stand, which would indicate that Southern technically wins and evens their conference record with Texas Southern.

Yeah, you're reading it correctly.

If 30 minutes have been played and a game is forfeited, the score stands. It has to do with keeping or discarding of statistics. I don't know why 30 minutes was chosen.

http://www.wbca.org/files/RULES_WBR15.pdf

Quote:
Art. 5. When a forfeit is declared, the score shall be recorded as 2-0 and all
statistics (other than the teams’ and coaches’ won-lost records) shall be voided,
unless 30 minutes of playing time has been completed on the game clock. In that
case, the score at the end of play shall stand and all other statistics shall count.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/08/15 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they should not have used "Double Forfeitt" indicating both teams lose because clearly one didnt Laughing . Makes you question theyre definition?

PostPosted: 03/08/15 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Queenie wrote:

If 30 minutes have been played and a game is forfeited, the score stands. It has to do with keeping or discarding of statistics. I don't know why 30 minutes was chosen.

Quote:
statistics (other than the teams’ and coaches’ won-lost records) shall be voided,
case, the score at the end of play shall stand and all other statistics shall count.

Thank you! Just for that, I'll abstain from ref jokes tomorrow.

PostPosted: 03/08/15 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Maybe they should not have used "Double Forfeitt" indicating both teams lose because clearly one didnt Laughing . Makes you question theyre definition?

Its a double forfeit because the refs are not declaring one team the winner.

PostPosted: 03/08/15 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Quote:

Thank you! Just for that, I'll abstain from ref jokes tomorrow.

You're welcome. And no need to abstain. I know how stressful that can be. Smile

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/08/15 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently the SWAC does things differently. I have been looking for video and found this article:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-03-08/bench-clearing-brawl-southern-texas-southern-womens-game-swac

Quote:
The brawl took place with 12:37 remaining in the game and Southern leading 51-49. TSU’s Miracle Davis took a charge underneath her basket and then all hell broke lose.

Sadly, the only video I found last night had "been removed by the user" by the time I found it.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/08/15 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

The news articles say the team that was ahead was declared the winner.

I've never heard of a double forfeit. A normal forfeit results in a 2-0 score against the team that forfeits. This was more like an early game termination with the current score determining the winner.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/08/15 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Not by the game officials. The double forfeit basically means the game won't continue but they're not taking sides as to whose fault it is.

PostPosted: 03/08/15 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Not by the game officials. The double forfeit basically means the game won't continue but they're not taking sides as to whose fault it is.

Hopefully some of those kids get DQ'ed from playing in their tournament or all hell is bound to break out there as well.

- Amanda Gorman
larmarch5

PostPosted: 03/09/15 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the article: "Players, cheerleaders and fans were reportedly involved, and punches were thrown as security rushed to the court."

Yikes, even the cheerleaders!

icey23

PostPosted: 03/09/15 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The video http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid2274541953001?bckey=AQ~~,AAACCRtKyFk~,y3ojWyg_ELQ2gikTV4mI03WnLne8X14i&bctid=4101244962001

PostPosted: 03/09/15 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/28315385/swac-suspends-eight-members-of-texas-southern-womens-basketball-team

SWAC suspends eight members of Texas Southern women's basketball team

PostPosted: 03/09/15 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So as I understand it, Texas Southern is not participating in the conference tournament, and Southern is unable to participate due to academic issues, leaving the third place team and on down to settle who goes to the Big Dance; is this correct?

PostPosted: 03/09/15 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gracious! I pity the fool that must sort through the video footage of that melee for 'evidence' in meting out penalties. And I saw some male cheerleaders getting involved....maybe that was what was referenced.

Clearly, there was MUCH unladylike behavior demonstrated. "Steel Magnolias" indeed!

As I looked over the standings in that conference, I was struck by how these 2 teams were leading the conference win/loss records, but they both lost a lot in OOC to Really-Not-That-Good of teams (AZ, IL, KS, Tulsa).

(Didn't LaTech play in that conference not so long ago?)

PostPosted: 03/09/15 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was ridiculous. And fans leaving the stands to join in...wtf is that?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/10/15 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
(Didn't LaTech play in that conference not so long ago?)

No, La Tech was not in the SWAC.

PostPosted: 03/11/15 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, so now the conf. is saying that it is going to count as a loss for both teams.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12459053/swac-reseeds-bracket-brawl-suspensions-lead-texas-southern-withdrawal

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/12/15 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
So as I understand it, Texas Southern is not participating in the conference tournament, and Southern is unable to participate due to academic issues, leaving the third place team and on down to settle who goes to the Big Dance; is this correct?

Texas Southern has pulled out of the tournament because the suspensions left them with less than 5 players.

Southern is now the #1 seed, but they have multiple suspensions as well, 6 for the 1st game and 2 players gone for the season (1 dismissed and one suspended).

The SWAC went from a 9 team tournament to an 8 team tournament, interestingly they didn't allow the 10th place team to play as the 9th seed, but that's another story, and that could have been an offer, but they declined because they felt they weren't prepared (pure speculation).

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12459053/swac-reseeds-bracket-brawl-suspensions-lead-texas-southern-withdrawal

Matt5762

PostPosted: 03/12/15 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

The SWAC went from a 9 team tournament to an 8 team tournament, interestingly they didn't allow the 10th place team to play as the 9th seed, but that's another story, and that could have been an offer, but they declined because they felt they weren't prepared (pure speculation).

The 10th place team is already in. The other missing team is Arkansas-Pine Bluff, who is ineligible due to APR. It seems there is slight distinction in their case versus that of now top seed Southern, who can play in the conference tournament but is also ineligible for the NCAAs.

Southern, by the way, got two players reinstated after additional review including their leading scorer and limped past last place MVSU, the worst D1 team in the nation per the RPI, 62-57 in the first round.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/12/15 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So my understanding is, even if Southern wins the tourney, they can't go to the NCAA and the loser gets the auto-bid? All very confusing.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: